“Great location....prices ridiculous” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Melbourne
“Great location....prices ridiculous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here in September 2012. So much has changed on this little island since we were last here in 2006. The rooms have been upgraded to a beautiful standard. We looked straight out onto the ocean and watched the cruise ship come in. The pool is sensational and the staff very attentive.
If you have to eat here be prepared for the ridiculous cost. We had a very basic lunch which included a couple of burgers and a club sandwich and 4 Coronas (4 of us) and it cost $S211 per couple......staggering! And when you're paying $S7 for a coke zero you know you're getting ripped off! The 711 at the bottom of the entrance to the resort was much more reasonable....almost....better to pay $S15 for 6 pack of beer than $S13 or so for 1 beer! Thank goodness our breakfast was in the price which made it easier to go without lunch!
I would stay at resort again but the prices would have to be a lot more reasonable which is a shame because it is a beautiful area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kezzaMelbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore

Refurbished rooms! Clean, comfy n big enough for 2adults n 2children

View of fireworks at night

Great kids pool that kids loved but had to queue for slides

Sea view if you take higher floors. Great balcony where you can sit n relax

Only downside... Restaurants there seemed to be under-staffed during breakfast n dinner buffet times. Kids room - tree house slide is not always open which was a disappointment

Location: right outside is Underwater world n bus stops n tram which we took on checkin day

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel was a great choice for our family with kids group we got the family garden view rooms and loved the direct access to the pool and gardens we had our own outdoor area and loved that we didn't have to walk through air conditioned hallways to get to our rooms
This has happened at other hotels and the kids and us end up freezing cold before we get to the room. Not in this case. It's a great idea. The shuttle was useful. The best place to stay in sentosa

• Stayed September 2012
Vevey, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Overall, the hotel is not bad, but it is full of screaming and shouting kids in the pool area. If you want some peace, you have to go to the beach. Service was quite good, reception very friendly and helpful, however bringing and picking up suitcases takes forever.
It feels like they are trying to be a luxury hotel, but it doesnt have the style and the according guests

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Petsko
Whitstable, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

There was big expectation from us as we booked a suite on floor 7. It was gorgeous! Huge bedroom and luxury bathroom with spacious lounge with an extra bed for my son and his own shower room. Outside we had a jacuzzi bath, garden area with sofa overlooking the pool and bay and the decked balcony had loungers and table and chairs..quite simply ..perfect! The hotel itself is luxurious, light and airy..the views out to sea are quite something, with all the ships which are there..I found them fascinating to watch, particularly their lights in the dark of night..quite magical!

The restaurants offer great choice of buffet or a la carte, we didn't explore them all as we ventured on to the mainland a lot. Breakfast was superb, with everything you could want on offer, we only queued once and even then, not for long. Service was a little slow on occasion and a bit disorganised but then they are dealing with a lot of people!

The staff were all great, particularly those that service the rooms..all very cheerful and polite and very efficient.

The one very big problem for us was on our last night...a Saturday. My son and I had a 9am flight back to the UK, so I requested a 6am wake up call and a cab for 6.30am. We went for dinner and got back to our room around 10pm..the noise was unbelievable..loud thumping dance music from below our room, there was clearly a function going on. I gave my son ear plugs ( he is only 11 ) but by 11.15 he could still not sleep. By 11.45pm I was in despair so we called reception who said the function was due to go on until 2am! We pointed out that this was unacceptable and they offered us another room for the rest of the night. So we trailed off in our nightware to the other side of the hotel to a room on floor 9..a double where they had to wheel in a bed for our son..ruining all hope of a last romantic night of the holiday! The room had a damp smell and we couldn't sleep so at 2am we trailed back to our lovely suite to get the last of the nights rest....but oh no..the music thumped on..and on..until 3am..Disaster! Like zombies we surfaced to get our plane..thick heads and red eyes ..we were facing a 16 hour journey home..not feeling revitalised after our break...just shattered and dazed.

I am sorry to say Shangri La..you spoilt the end of my holiday. To be fair I will give ratings where due for quality of service etc. the hotel gave us a curtesy car to the airport, I can't say what else was offered to my partner after we left..I hope they reached some level of compensation..I have yet to find out!

All in all, a beautiful place to stay..just check what functions they are holding on the weekends and stay away from floor 7 if so and make sure you are at the other end of the hotel!!

Room Tip: The suite was gorgeous with l'occitane accessories and nespresso machine..all very luxurious. Th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicola U
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Hotel Name: Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa
Length of stay: 1 night, 2 days
Purpose: Leisure / Weekend Getaway
With Who: one of my close girlfriend
Room Type: Deluxe Sea View

Entrance / Impression:
On a summer day, Saturday morning, I arrived. The hotel lobby was filled many people and it was fully booked. The lobby was very open and airy, but a little dark. It would be much better if it was filled with more light or natural light (maybe it was just wasn't sunny that day).

Check-in:
The experience was ok. A little slow. But it was fine. Service? It was ok too.

Room:
I stayed in the Deluxe Sea View. The room was indeed ... OK. It's quite small as compared to my imagination and the price I paid. Perhaps land in Singapore is just expensive. The one thing I really like about the room is that the bathroom and "bedroom" was separated (but not TOO separated) by a blind-window. So, you can open the window, looking into the bathroom, which makes the room look and feel more airy/bigger. The room is clean. Washroom is clean also. Decoration / wall decor is pretty and refreshening.

View:
The view from my room was marvelous. Looking out from the balcony, I see right into the South China Sea, the beach, the Koi Fish pond, sunbathing people, and the pool beneath. One thing to take note is that - when you stand on your balcony, you can see your neighbours, and neighbour's neighbour's, and neighbour's neighbour's neighbours... doing whatever. You can also see everything else that the people beneath you are doing. So, very little privacy.

Beware:
From our experience: beware the monkeys. We did not read the sign on the balcony door. When we opened the balcony door and walked around the room doing other things, a monkey jumped inside, into our room, and stole cup noodles and other food from the mini car. At the same time, it caused a huge mess on the floor, and a lot of chaos, as we were superbly scared. Above that, when we were standing on the balcony taking pictures, suddenly a monkey stole food from our hands. At the moment, I wasn't sure if I was being attacked or ... what was going on. Very freaky. So - just be careful.

Room Service:
I always order room service when I stay at hotels. It's just more convenient and I'm just lazy like that. Don't want to walk all the way downstairs. Ok - back to the food: MARVELOUS! mmmmm so good! I ordered a burger for mid-night snack. And also ordered room service for breakfast. But WOW! the best burger ever! And the mash potato... mmmmmm. Miss it! Try it!

Beach:
The beach is quite clean. But I would prefer if they can put more effort in removing tree branches and sea shells. I hate walking on those. I'm sorry - I'm at a beach to enjoy walking on sand, nothing else! I'm picky; yes. Shangri-La's private / secluded beach area isn't as beautiful as the public beach. The public beach is only separated by a fence that opens, so don't worry. I'm not saying Shangri La's beach is bad, it's ok. Perhaps they should do more work in keeping their sun chairs cleaner too. I don't like sitting on those sun chairs with grass growing underneath, or with branches sticking out near the chair leg...

Spa:
The spa at this resort is GREAT! Very relaxing. I went in as a last appointment. And I was a walk-in. They were getting ready to close, but the staff were SO friendly! They treated me so kindly. Above all, my masseuse did not rush a bit. She did everything to the POINT! I did a wrap-treatment. Very relaxing!

PROS:
- service was fast
- staff were nice
- view is beautiful
- sand is soft
- rooms have nice decor
- bed is comfortable
- food is delicious
- bathroom is spacy
- concierge is helpful

CONS:
- monkey attacks
- beach can be cleaner (remove the grass and roots and barks please)
- beach sun beds can be cleaner

Questions? Want more pictures? Refer to my blog:

Ask me if you have specific questions :-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank J_J_668
queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

What an amazing place. Staff were exceptional. Nothing was to difficult and everything was done with a smile. We travelled as part of a group of 28, ranging in age from 1yr to 60yrs of age. While there we celebrated my fathers 60th birthday, the staff could not have been more accomodating and assisted us with all preparations. Food was exceptional the buffet catered for every whim and the fish at Barnacles was the best I have ever tasted. The kids club has many acitivites for those 5 - 12 years. The beds we super, it has prompted me to buy a new mattress. Laundry facitilies are located on every floor. Facilites are immaculate. It is very easy to travel from Sentosa to Singapore with many options. The bus tram runs from below the 7 eleven every 15 minutes and connects with the monorail which takes you to Vivo City Shopping Centre. Shangri La runs a regular direct bus to Vivo City or taxi's are readily available. The tram, bus and monorail are all free don't forget your pass from reception to come back to Sentosa free of charge. From Vivo City you can catch the MRT (subway) to where every you wish to go. I recommend visiting the Gardens by the bay at dusk making your way by 8pm to the light show at marina sands which is located on the opposite side to the Gardens by the bay, making a trip to Legoland (1hr 40 min travel time including customs) and universal studios. Make sure you visit these on a Mon, Tues or Wed when it is quieter (best advice we recieved) The zoo was wonderful but for thoses with young ones I would recommend the day zoo a bit easier for them to spot the animals. The Port of Lost Wonder on Sentosa is a great place to lounge about and let the kids run wild in their small water park. (located about 400m past monorail) also check out Bora Bora for a great lunch at Palawan beach. We all loved the luge great fun. If you have time go to the pirate musuem on sentosa and experience a typhoon. The chair lift was good but not worth the money. If you feel like a walk take the boardwalk that links Sentosa and singapore, it does have some travellators for those a little less inclined to exercise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#33 of 308 in Singapore
4.0 of 5 bubbles 20,758 reviews

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!