“THE WORST SERVICE IN SINGAPORE”

Resorts World Sentosa - Equarius Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Do not stay here, you will regret it. It simply has the worst service in any hotel in Singapore.

We stayed at the Beach Villas Ocean Suites which is part of the Equarius Hotel and paid the most amount for any room in the complex and yet had the worst service and were treated as if we had hired the sofa!

Manager Irene Leong needs to go on a customer service course as she simply did not know that we were staying in an all inclusive suite that meant we got free breakfast/aquarium/water world tickets...as when we complained about the appalling service she offered us free breakfast/tickets for the aquarium/water park!!! She had no comprehension how to treat sophisticated and well traveled customers.

She also refused to listen and when my partner said she had no intention of ever coming back was simply offered dinner at the Equarius cafe Forest (to call it a restaurant would do other restaurants a grave disservice!). By the end she had refused our refund but had offered us a table for four people at Forest! She would not listen to our concerns and does not deserve your business.

The idea of the Beach Villas Ocean Suites is that your room is in the Aquarium and that your bedroom window is the Aquarium. Therefore in room dining is key....

The in room dining does not exist in any way that reflects on a supposedly 5 star hotel. The menu is limited and comes from a Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) service kitchen and not a restaurant kitchen. There are only four bottles of wine on the menu!! We gave up and went to the amazing Joel Robuchon's L'Atelier at RWS instead, if you want great food and great service go there not at the Equarius.

Having abandoned dinner we decided on a romantic breakfast in front of the aquarium....or so we hoped....one and half hours later after several calls and being told that the kitchen could not cope as 3-4 people had also ordered breakfast (at breakfast time) and also being told that because the room was a long way from the kitchen (through the car park.....entrance/and exit are both in a car park!!! a 5 star car park!!) we gave up and went upstairs to the cafe Forest...where we had to endure what can best be described as slops. Horrible food.

So much for romance, so much for celebrating a special date, Equarius Hotel ruined our anniversary...had we not been for L'Atelier we would have been incredibly unhappy at RWS instead we are just incredibly disappointed at the service and experience at Equarius, not 5 star, not even 1 star.

i haven't even mentioned the fact that the aquarium pump is beside the Beach Villas and throbs noisily all night and day and i still can't believe that the room entrance and exit is in a car park...let alone the fact that it's quicker to walk through the aforementioned car park to get anywhere than to wait for the buggy service!

We shall be pursuing our claim for a refund through them and through the bank and credit card company in Singapore. they have not heard the last of us.

As two Singaporean PR's who regularly go on stay-cations in Singapore this has left a very bad taste in our mouths about RWS. They can't treat people who have paid the most differently, they treat everyone like numbers, they have no awareness of who their customers are they can't deliver any kind of service that matches the hype.

All hot air and no substance. Don't stay here. Go to the Capella instead and just buy aquarium/water park tickets separately.

Room Tip: Choose the room at the Capella....
14  Thank ChrisJR2013
There are newer reviews for Resorts World Sentosa - Equarius Hotel

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My overall experience at Equarius is average. Upon arriving at Resorts World, we were told that we had to wait for the shuttle bus but the bellmen at Hard Rock Hotel were very helpful to arrange a buggy for us to Equarius.

When we arrived at the lobby of Equarius, there was nobody to greet us or point us the way to the check-in counters. It was my first time at Equarius and I was a little lost. I had trouble even finding someone to ask where should I check in. After noticing what seemed like a check-in area with 4 staffs seated attending to guests (I assume 1 being the Concierge counter, 3 being the Front Desk), my friend and I stood there for at least 10 minutes before someone acknowledged our presence. The Front Desk/Concierge staff were walking up and down (past us) but no acknowledgement whatsoever. Coming from the hotel line, I felt that it wasn't supposed to the the standard of a 5* hotel but that's fine.

Around 10 minutes later when one of the staff was done with a guest, a lady in black suit (seemed like a Duty Manager or some sort) had to call out to the staff, named Aida to ask her if she is done and told her that me and my friend have been standing there and waiting for quite some time. Check-in was done sloppily in my opinion. There was no personal touch at all. There was so much awkward silence between me and Aida (the check-in agent) - she did not make any effort to start a conversation. I was told that the room was not ready at that moment (it was around 1.30pm) and that it would be ready after 3pm as check-in time is 3pm onwards. I was told by Aida that I would be given a call once my room is ready too. That was all the the check-in, no offers to ask if we would like our bags to be placed somewhere first while we explore Resorts World or what facilities are available as staying guests of Equarius.

I had to approach the Concierge myself to ask if I could leave my bags there while we wait for our room to be ready. I waited till past 3pm and there was still no call from the hotel. At about 3.45pm, I tried to call the hotel but was given the main hotline of Resorts World Sentosa. The lady who attended to me on the phone was very patient as she tried at least twice to get through to Hotel Equarius to check if my room was ready. Around 4pm, the hotel finally answered her call and said that the room was ready. I was wondering then, why did no one from the hotel give me a call? I was waiting literally for nothing and wasted my time.

I went back to the hotel to get my keys to the room and was attended to, by a pleasant check-in agent, named Summer. She was very patient and acceded to my request of a late check-out at 1pm. I had to ask her for the complimentary car entry to Sentosa and monorail admission tickets as Aida earlier did not hand me any during check-in.

That was probably the only qualm I had about Hotel Equarius - the mediocre service at the Front Desk. Certainly wasn't what I expected of a 5* hotel.

Apart from that, the room was fantastic. We stayed in a Deluxe Room with an outdoor garden and the room was very spacious. It has an L-shaped sofa and the bathroom was huge. Separate bath and shower and a spacious bath tub that. For a 2 day 1 night stay, the amenities were alright. Nothing fantastic about the mini bar (it was very minimal with a few soft drinks, that's it). Tea was from TWG and they provided 3 choices, Chamomile, Sencha and English Breakfast. We called for extra towels and ice and it was delivered within 10 minutes so that was good.

For the price that I paid (as I got a good deal from Agoda), I do not mind returning to the hotel again because of the room. The cons would be the inconvenience of having to wait for the shuttle bus to/fro the hotel to the main area of RWS and the poor service at the front desk. Other than that, it was generally a good stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank butterandfly
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We checked into this hotel on my husband's birthday for 2 nights. We were delighted to be given a room with a fantastic view of the water park, cable cars and the harbour. The room is spacious and so is the toilet with a TV, 2 sinks, bath tub and a separate shower area.
The hotel is generous enough to provide us with a complimentary birthday cake. Oh boy, that was one of the best chocolate cake that we've ever eaten! Yummy!
There is a free shuttle service every 15mins to Hard Rock hotel and Festive hotel for guests to go to Resort World's casino, F&B or to explore other areas in Sentosa. We like this hotel very much because it is new and exclusive. : )

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank BirthdayGirlNov
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the room. Good points: Size of room is spacious. The leather sofa is very comfy with many pillows. The bed is comfy. The balcony Is clean. What I love the most is the bathroom. I can even listen to the radio while I shower. The bath tub is also not too small for my big body frame. Free twg tea and Instant coffee with Standard bathroom accessory. Everything's almost perfect........except (pls see below) Bad points: check-in counter and conceige only can serve 2 at a time. Abit time waster. Req for city view but was told to wait until 4pm for it. Instead I took the room which overlook the forest,in order to save time. The lift to the hotel rooms was way too far! This hotel is not recommended for people who cannot walk for too long. The bed sheet has stains on it.. Overall: suitable for patient travelers. U need to take a shuttle bus in order to reach the hotel..and also checking in may not be fast.. Most likely they will ask u to hang around first as the cleaning up of room by the staff may not be fast. Despite the bad, I still love the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We checked into this hotel for 3 nights in June last year.

We had a pool access room and I would say the room itself was large and comfortable. There are some things going for this hotel but there are obvious faults that can be corrected and when done, I would not hesitate to give another star to the review.

The obvious difference between the Equarius and the other Resorts World Sentosa hotel is that it gives a quiet and peaceful vibe. The other hotels under RWS tout themselves as 5 star but that's a far stretch for me. Unless you think 5 star means a dark and loud (in every sense of the word) 80s disco at the lobby (Hard Rock Hotel) or a nondescript poor-quality, 80s-looking hotel (Festive Hotel). For marketing, this hotel should bank in on their difference from other Resort World Sentosa hotels. It's like an oasis when compared to the ones nearer the theme parks. But I don't think this works against it. As long as the shuttle and buggy comes frequent enough to ferry one to the lobby of the other hotels. The journey itself is but a couple minutes. And during my stay I was lucky enough not to wait at all except for twice which lasted not more than 5 minutes each. The concierge and the guys manning the shuttles were lovely and polite. As long as this service is kept up, I'm happy to return.

Breakfast was fine with a small buffet and items you can choose from the menu. There's a lovely area to have your breakfast just outside the restaurant if you're not sun-shy. If you sit inside, look up for interesting interior.

But, there are reasons I withheld the last star. They are problems that can be corrected so I don't see why they should be left to ruin the hotel:

1) Check-in: We were shown to the check-in counters but sadly no one tend to us. One staff was with another customer while others were sauntering back and forth between the counters and the back office. There were no other guests waiting for check-in. We probably waited 10 minutes for nothing until we finally got a staff to check us in.

2) Our pool access room was nice, cozy, comfortable and big. Bathroom was big. Balcony was big. Everything in the room was really clean but... except for the balcony! It was downright dirty. Construction dust was everywhere at the balcony and there was a huge clump of tissue on the steps of the pool. It has become stuck onto the step and on closer inspection one can see lots of loose, tiny bits of the tissue floating in the pool. I tried to remove it to no avail. That piece of tissue was to stay there for our entire stay. The dust coated balcony was only cleaned on our last night there.

3) The TV in the bathroom had a little technical problem and I left a note to get it fixed. That evening we returned to our room and nothing was done. The note was found crumpled, in the bin. (roll eyes worthy)

4) Knob of toilet glass door was found on the floor. It's designed poorly as the knob was too small and short to grab to open. I picked it up and left it on the stool in the toilet cubicle. It was left there the entire stay.

5) Strong smell of cement as some parts of the hotel must be still undergoing construction though we didn't see or hear it. Lots of cement marks on the walls. This place looks fine but don't scrutinize because the details exposes the fact that it is not a real true 5 star.

6) No cushions on the rattan loungers at out balcony. There were cushions on our neighbours' chairs. Yes, it's easy to just look over. There's no privacy at the balcony if you are wondering. Would be good if there's something to prevent guests from seeing each other at such close proximity.

7) Guests next room to us were having a party till 1am and stopped only when we complain to the hotel. There was a large group of them in the room and they were screaming at the top of their lungs before the complain.

Seems like I came up with a long list of problems. Nevertheless, if I need to stay within RWS again, I will still choose this. It's still better than the other choices under RWS.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Smelltheflower
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I booked a 3D2N staycation to celebrate my birthday. There was a real good deal at Agoda, hence we went ahead with the booking. Arrival at the hotel was at 2pm and only forest view rooms were available. We had to wait for another hour if we wanted a pool view room. We decided to go for the forest view room as we didn't wanna wait.

The room was more than I can ask for as it was very spacious! The best part was the balcony as it offered a realm of sanctuary for me to have my cigar and watch the sunset. Gorgeous! The L-shaped sofa was loved by my wife very much as she could stretch out while watching TV. The bathroom and toilet cubicle were very roomy. Taking a shower was a god-sent luxury indeed. Service in general was prompt and reliable. The gym was excellent and very well equipped and not many people using (what a shame really)!

Cons of the hotel:

No wine glasses in the room (had to ask room svc to bring it up)
Poorly stocked mini bar (limited selection of alcohol)
TV was too far from the sofa
Only 2 complimentary parking passes were given to guests
There were no mirrors in front of vanity top (inconvenient for shaving)

In conclusion, we were overall satisfie3d with our stay and will definitely return again. One more thing to mention is that we got to meet celebrity chef Sam Leong on our check out day during breakfast =) That sums things up on a nice note.

1  Thank leroomtrotter
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We arrived at the hotel on a Wednesday, about an hour earlier than the usual check-in time of 3pm. Only the forest view deluxe room was available at that time; we had to wait if we wanted a room overlooking the theme park. As we preferred a more quiet environment and didn't want to wait, we opted for the forest view.

The good:
The room was extremely spacious and clean! It comes with a balcony overlooking the forest; very tranquil and lovely.

The bed was really comfortable, came with 2 pillows and a cushion per person. So comfortable, we slept in till real late.

We totally loved relaxing at the L-shaped sofa with the multiple cushions, enjoying the complimentary Nescafe coffee and TWG tea selections (English breakfast, sencha and camomile).

The shower (normal adjustable shower head / rain-shower) came with shampoo (bring your own conditioner) and shower gel (lemongrass scent I think... loved it!) and the separate bath tub was big enough for two. There was a smaller TV if you want to soak in the tub and watch TV at the same time.

Check-in and check-out was a breeze; maybe because it was a Wednesday/Thursday.

Staff that we encountered were friendly and pro-active.

The not-so-good... if we want to be really picky:
Location is a little far away from the rest of the attractions... but since we wanted peace and quiet, we thought the location was pretty fine, especially since there is free shuttle service that brings us to the other hotels within resort world every 15min or so (ends by 10pm on weekdays; later for weekends) and buggy rides in between (not sure how this works; we usually just inform them that we are waiting for the shuttle and sometimes we ended up with the buggy ride instead).

No free wifi. Yes we had our own data plan, but seriously, why don't hotels provide free wifi?

"Discretionary privacy screen between bedroom and bathroom". Never quite figured this out after pressing all the switches we could find. We supposed it's great to be able to watch the huge TV as one uses the basin... but... we prefer huge mirrors in front of us (well, there are huge mirrors in many areas within the room).

In all, we really enjoyed our stay and would want to come back again!

1  Thank lendeliz