“Small small small”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Singapore
“Small small small”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This was a company paid stay for 1 night and i personally feel that it was not worth the money. the room was surprisingly small as compared to the pictures on their website. even though the touch and feel of the room was cool, it was no match to other hotels with the same price tag.

our room at level 7 faces the opposite hotel and you can see the Merlion. too bad the balcony door won't barge no matter how hard we tried to twist and open it.

the steps to the loft bed was so steep and scary, i think if i had a kid, my kid would definitely not climb down.

the simmons bed was soft. the tv was high up and small. the IPTV actually pauses in between due to the connection and the TV's speakers made watching tv unpleasant.

the toilet was fine. bright but didn't like the glass separater which cramped up the toilet space. the bathtub was quite high and felt dangerous to climb off after a shower! i don't think that's friendly for a family-oriented hotel.

the check-in part was the worst. the hotel receptionist made us wait right at the counter for 30 minutes before giving us a solution to our problem. They could have just asked us to wait at the waiting area while they sort out their internal operations. thus, we took out our iphones to surf the net while standing there waiting for something to happen.

breakfast selection was small. paying so much to have such pathetic choice of food. the indoor seating was insufficient and we had to take the seats by the pool. the sun was so glaring and warm.

i feel that there staff are not well trained, maybe because this hotel is quite new.

the hotel is near to the casino and bus terminal. you can exit to vivocity easily and there are a few restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: higher floors are always better
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ermender

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We went in a big group , booked four rooms, which is 3 family king suites and one twin bed room. Visit there on 6 December 2011. I travelled with my parents, my family and my sibling's families.

1. Check in - reached the hotel at about 1 pm, there's one receptionist checked us in, told us the rooms will be ready at 3 pm. No issue here.

2. Room - i was quite impressed with the room, although the fixtures are old and tired. But the room and the bathroom is spacious. Not a 5 star hotel. I have stayed in Sheraton's and Shangrila's one, those are truly a 5 star hotels.

3. Siwmming pool - ok , the children enjoy it.

4. Breakfast buffet - just some standard breads and nasi lemak, and pancakes, quite dissapointed with the quality and the choices given.

Now here come the real issues:
1. My father and my mother took the twin bed room. They are 64 year old. My father is a professional and has been in practice for more than 35 years. After the first night we checked in, in the next morning, my father was very upset to find that there was a blood stain on the bed he slept. The size of the blood stain was about two inches in dimension and it was found on the lower part of the bed (about two to three feets from the bed header). We went to his room and checked it, it is disgusting. So I called housekeeper to come and change the bed sheet. We waited for about half an hour. No one arrived We then left, as we have to go to Universel Studio.

2. My sister met the housekeeper when she went back her room to take something, she voiced her concern to the housekeeper ( a male) , who objected and insisted that the blood was belonged to my father. He did change the bed sheet.

3. We went to the reception to make a complaint. Sadly the reception was too arrogant to speak to us in Mandarin, and she replied us in English straight away even though we spoke to her in Mandarin. She just said her manager will come to see us for the matter coldly. No apology no smile . Just back to her computer screen and ignored us.

4. The manager, Caroline came and listened to us , and she said she would investigate and come back to us. She then said she knew we didnt ask for compensation and so on. Dear readers, please take note here, from the very begining of the incident , we have not once thought about the compensation or discount or some sort of value in return. Money is not an issue here. In fact I have so many meal and accomodation vouchers from Mandarin Oriental and Shangrila , which i did not bother to use (off topic here., but i am just trying to say we dont care for compensation at all)

5. The day we did not hear from the management, we were all out in universal studio, but there were not notes or message.

6. We checked out on the third day, after the check out , i then asked the cashier, was there any findings from the manager? So Caroline came and told us her story:
"we are sorry for the attitude of the housekeeper and we have given warning to the housekeeper ...blah blah..."
So I asked,"ok attitude is an issue, but what about the major issue, the blood stain on the bed sheet?"
Caroline replied" We did not try to blame any one here. (Please note her response, she said blame!) But the blood stain is a fresh blood, and the housekeeper actually changed the bedsheet...blah blah..."
We were astonished to hear that, did she mean my father was the one who dirty the bed? My father who is a male and is in good healthy condition , he plays golf every Saturday and he has no injury or he has no cuts on his legs. We , my sister and I as a women, could tell very well that the blood stain was a result of menstruation of a woman. I am trying to give a measurement in my first point above, i am lousy in estimation but i took photo of it.

Lastly, we did not want to argue anymore as it is just pointless and waste of time if the management is trying to cover the dust under the carpet. Caroline said please come and look for her if we come back again for the visit. I told her , no , we wont come back anymore, this is our last stay.

I am sorry to say such a direct brutal way to her right to her face, but she has to know that there is a real obvious s internal control problem exists in her hotel management, the housekeeper did not do his job properly and no one is willing to take the responsbility to correct the negative finding. There is major internal contorl weakness in the supervisory level of the housekeeping too as no one to supervise and monitor the duty of a housekeeper.

I probably would guess that the management would response to this review on the tripadvisor , to defence strongly? to say that my accusation is not true? well, i just want to honestly write my experience as a customer here on tripadvisor , that's all.
Thanks for reading!

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
23 Thank ShanTy W

Travelers are raving about these Sentosa Island hotels

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Great place to go for relaxation and bonding with family. Proximity to Universal Studio Singapore, other attractions on Sentosa island & RWS casino provides entertainment and fun for all young & old.
Good sized rooms ie Family Room comes with bunk bed, sofa bed & queen sized bed to accommodate small family of 4-5 pax comfortably. Good value for money with interesting package provided by RWS. Thumbs up!!

• Stayed November 2011
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my husband for 4 nights during November 2011.

Right when we got off the taxi from the airport (around S$17-20 per trip), the bellmen got our luggage and provided us with a luggage tag - great service. Then we were facing a massive line up to check in. I waited at least 30 minutes at the reception without any greeting or anything. At least they could've offered us a snack or drink, or even a number so we could sit down and wait instead.

I love the location of this hotel as it's right beside universal studios. Staying in Sentosa makes me feel like I am on vacation. We did visit the Marina Bay area during our trip, and found that the hotels there were more for business people.

Also, remember you have to ask for your free monorail pass at the hotel reception. They do not offer it to you when you check in, which is ridiculous. If I haven't read about it on tripadvisor before hand, I wouldn't know about the monorail pass. The pass makes it very convenient to get out of Sentosa to enjoy more valuable foods. We tried the food republic just right by the monorail exit at Vivocity. It was okay. However, we found out near the end of our trip that the food court at B2 level of Vivocity has more local authentic food available for lower cost. The atmosphere is not the best, but we loved the variety of food there.

Getting two packs of Milo (Singapore powder drink similar to hot chocolate) in the hotel room each day was a plus.

About other reviews commenting on the temperature of the room - I have to agree that I do feel quite cold when falling asleep, but sweating like crazy in the middle of the night.

Overall, I will stay at this hotel if I do travel to Singapore again. I booked through agoda.com at a very reasonable rate. However, there really isn't much worth it for me to visit Singapore again in my opinion. I think I've seen it all already. If I do go again, I'd go for a food tour there instead of site seeing.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bbtea
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I booked the family room  with loft bed at  promotion price for staycation, after booking the hotel then I read the review  and lowered my expectation. The setup of the hotel is so similar to Genting, but this management has forgotten that this is Sentosa in Singapore, when i was registering at the front desk, I couldn't help to imagine myself at the front desk in First World hotel - slow.  The front desk staff  was not proactive, despite my request for early check in at 12pm, I've got the room only after 3pm after made few enquiries to find out when the room will be ready. I could see many guests waiting to check-in at the waiting area and not enough seats provided. There were only 2 sets of towels in the bathroom although we indicated a family of 2A2C and no hand towels until we contacted the housekeeping.  I was sure that the room wasn't prepared for us from the beginning. I was shocked to see the dust covering the steps of the ladder to get to the loft bed. The loft bed was very high and I forbade my children ( 2 & 5 years old) to climb up the ladders. There were 3 mugs in the room to make our own drinks. Wardrobe was too small to hang 4 persons' clothes. Must be very patience when using Tv remote control  as it's not sensitive enough or the tv was responding very slowly.
The towel rack was installed above the toilet bowl, can't imagine if any piece will to drop into the toilet bowl.  There's sufficient place to install the rack within shower cubicle. There wasn't sufficient place to hang our towels after use.  A piece of floor mat was placed on the hanging bar on the  door of the shower cubicle when we checked in, is this the right place to hang it?
The 'beach' pool in hard rock hotel was the most enjoyable place for my children. Of course we had fun in the Universal Studio Singapore and the show at festive theatre was fantastic. May be I will try hard rock hotel the next time.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank jascsarah
Italy
Reviewed December 5, 2011

stayed there for a weekend in a one bedroom suite.
check in ok, after waiting a while got attended and then was quite fast.
we where there at 1.45pm, check in is at 3pm, and we got the room, think because we had a suite, as at the beginning the first sentence i got was "no room ready yet", so plus point for this.
room was big and clean, nice living, bed and big bathroom with jacuzzi bath tub and separate shower area, nice also the amenities, we got 2 small bathrobes for our boys which was great.
ask for the rooms facing the pool.
while booking i informed the reservation officer that it's our honey moon but they told me they don't do anything special.
once i checked in i check one more time if there is nothing they do, the answer i got was yes, but since is last minute they can't arrange anything.
after complaining about that to the duty manager, we got a small chocolate cake sent to the room, but it was a happy birthday cake instead of the happy anniversary!!!
for a hotel where you spend $800++ a night that's not acceptable!! for this amount of money you can get a suite at the ritz carlton or at the raffles hotel!
for a family friendly hotel there where only 2 kids channels available which is poor too, wireless internet is also not included in $800++ per night, which is shocking for me!

Room Tip: ask for the suits, they're all on the 8th floor, nice and spacious
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TrisIv
singapore
Reviewed December 1, 2011

This hotel looks a lot nicer in their websites and the rooms look larger. In reality, the room is smaller and the bathroom does not have separate shower and bathtub. The family room feels very tight especially if there are 4 adults and 1 child in a room. There is a bunk bed for a kid but the ceiling is very low. We book a family room which was supposed to accommodate 3 adults and 2 kids but it turns out the family room would be tight for that many people. It has a sofa bed which unfolds as a mattress on the floor.

The rubber mat at the bathtub/shower was dirty and moldy. Yuck! Water pressure is low so it will take longer to take a shower. M

Breakfast was one of the worst breakfast spread with lower quality food provided by a hotel that is supposed to be a 5 star hotel. The waiters are very quick to clear up your dirty plates to make sure you don't hangout there for too long maybe?.

The experience overall was not as pleasant especially with the price that they charge. Pool size is a bit small compared to the number of rooms but the water was properly sanitized.

This hotel is quite conveniently located near the Universal Walk and Studio, and the train station that goes to Vivo City and other part of Sentosa.

While you are there, sign up as a member of Resort World of Sentosa, and ask the hotel if you can get a discount using the card.

The