April 7-9, 2010. First off, if you've never stayed at a Hard Rock Hotel before, you're in for something different. I've stayed in Hard Rock Las Vegas (USA), Bali (Indonesia), Pattaya (Thailand), and now Sentosa Island (Singapore). Some people enjoy the rock & roll theme throughout the hotel: and of course others don't.
Secondly, the Hard Rock, the other "Resort World" hotels, and Universal Studios are all going through a SOFT opening: so you would expect some start up issues.
Service - GREAT! Check in was quick, efficient, and "Tippy" answered all of our questions, or referred us to the concierge. Housekeeping, pool staff, etc. - all professional and friendly. Concierge hooked us up with Universal tickets.
Decoration/Layout - This hotel does not have the rock and roll paraphernalia like the other Hard Rock hotels or Hard Rock Cafes. But there's still plenty of pictures and good music throughout the interior.
Swimming pool - One of the highlights of our trip. Big lagoon style pool plus an attached 50 meter lap pool. Lagoon area has sand that gently slopes into the pool - giving the impression of a real beach. Nice little swim up bar area was closed during our visit, but should be operational by now.
- They should add more umbrellas for the lounge chairs.
- They should increase the staff around the pool area for drinks and food.
** Note that until the other Resort World hotels complete their swimming pools, their guests were allowed to use the Hard Rock Hotel pool. During our visit, it was never really crowded **
Gym - nice and big, but not really well stocked with machines or free weights. They have room and suggest they re-design the layout and add some more equipment. The treadmills look out onto the walkway, and very distracting to have all of the guests and staff walking by.
Food - I agree with many of the other reviews. Food is not a strength here at the Hard Rock. Starz restaurant is mostly buffet. Pool and Bar menu is very limited. No room service! They encourage guests to check out all of the other hotels and restaurants in Resort World (4 hotels connected with Universal Studios). The other hotels are a short 5-15 minute walk, and there is a central restaurant zone for some high end (aka expensive) restaurants, Chilis, sandwich/coffee shops, etc.. Not a lot of choice currently with many shops still under development. But by the looks of it, don't expect things to change much. There's a couple touristy "villages" dotting Sentosa island - take the monorail and check out what's around each stop. Or I recommend heading into Singapore for food options. You can easily travel out of Sentosa by taxi, bus, or train - and be anywhere in Singapore quickly (Orchard Road in 15 minutes).
Rooms - Hard Rock rooms are usually slightly modern, rock & roll kitschy, yet comfortable. Don't expect rock & roll glam or luxury. Lighting was weird. The bathroom lights and the under table-night light were too bright: enough to light the whole room up. Overhead "reading" lamps were set into the ceiling, and didn't provide enough light. One seemingly overlooked item was a alarm clock / entertainment system. "Normally" rooms have a all in one system for music, i-Pod docking station, plus alarm clock: our room had a small portable alarm clock. Not sure if that was part of a design mistake or they're waiting to install later.
Nightlife - didn't go to Sentosa for the nightlife. Mostly tourist activities nearby. HRH has the bar, but no action or vibe compared to any other HRH or HRC. Head back to Singapore for nightlife!
Value - Just OK. We received a slight room price reduction during the soft opening. If it wasn't for the price break, not sure if the location near Universal Studios and the Casino will be enough to draw us back to the island. But if we stay at the Island, for sure I'd want to be near that HRH swimming pool again. Once the new Sands casino opens in Singapore, I think Sentosa Resort World will have a tough time drawing people over to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rock and roll attitude meets five-star service at the Hard Rock Hotel Singapore. Breathtaking design, fashionable dining options, and the legendary entertainment experience only Hard Rock can offer make this the obvious choice for those looking for a stay that is beyond the ordinary.If unique networking venues are what you need, the hotel is home to some of the resort's best meeting and conference facilities, and indoor exhibition space. All at the doorstep of Universal Studios Singapore®, and S.E.A. Aquarium™, as well as Asia's flagship of the world-renowned ESPA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Odigeo, Booking.com, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Resorts World Sentosa - Hard Rock Hotel Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hard Rock Hotel, Singapore Hotel Sentosa Island