“Great location and pool - but shabby service”

Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great location and pool - but shabby service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed over new year Dec/Jan 2012/13. My husband, myself and two 11 year old children, staying for five nights. Overall this hotel was a bit disappointing. We had interconnecting rooms on the 5th floor. The first odd thing was the awful (and I mean really awful) smell in the foyers, lifts and corridors. It smells like they used the fur of a million wet dogs to carpet the floors. I looked back on some Tripadvisor reviews and see that others have noticed it too. It was quite off-putting. My husband was annoyed at the $32 per day WIFI charge (especially as our previous hotel the Pan Pacific Singapore had been free and ultra fast). The service here was terrible - long waits, indifferent staff, rude staff etc. One evening at 10pm there was an abrubt knock on the door, the guy calls out 'maintenance' and walks (without hesitation) into our room, he said he had come to change our fridge because it wasn't working. I said it was working, however some of lights weren't (which we had called about and never had fixed) and I asked if he was here for that…. no, he said and then insisted on feeling the fridge. After checking it was working he then looked at his piece of paper and said.. 'oh, wrong room' and walked straight out without a word of apology! The buffet breakfast was horrible, very little choice, and poor quality.

There were a few things that were good about the Hard Rock namely:
- location, location, location… right next to Universal, right next to Monorail, right next to Adventure Cove, shops / restaurants, Aquariuim…. all within 5 minutes walk
- fantastic pool - really, really brilliant pool one of the best we have ever experienced
- funky rooms - cheap, but amazing looking

I would not stay at that Hard Rock again. Compared to the Hard Rock in Orlando florida (which was amazing) Singapore was very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked hard rock for our honeymoon as I love to go to the hard rock cafes when I go around the world.
After booking we were a little worried due to some of the bad trip advisor reviews.
Take it from me don't be worried! This hotel is cool, modern ,something different ,clean and close to everything you need at sentosa.
People complained about it being dark inside. Yes it is but that's the theme. Rock stars don't want bright lights in their eyes when they have been partying!
It's dark cause its trying to be like a rock club which is what its all about. If you don't like it take you and grandpa somewhere else.
The pool is huge and very good. The rooms were fine ,the only complaint I have is you can hear people in the hallway all the time.
The hotel has heaps of cool memorabilia throughout which I liked and plays music all day .we even had a huge live rock concert while we were here.
The breakfast is ok but nothing really special. The drinks are expensive $6 for a can of coke.
The prepay WiFi should be free as its not a cheap hotel.
Overall we enjoyed the place, nowhere is perfect but some of the bad reviews in my opinion are unjustified. We would recommend it here and so did our friends who stayed here a week before us.
Rock on!

• Stayed April 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

We pulled up to the hotel and went WOW. As you walk into the reception you feel special. The room made you feel like a rock star. The hotel has an amazing pool complex and even a pool bar. The whole real world resort is out of this world. We stayed only 2 and a half days and we didn't get to see the whole area, just so much to do. Universal studios is only about 2 min away and is by far the best fun park I have been to. The transformers ride is amazing . My wife and I acted like 14 yr olds for a day and are still talking about it. Also the casino is a must ( we loved it , got back to the hotel at 3 am, great time). We will be back and spend maybe 5 days next time so we can enjoy more of this resort and Singapore.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the harbour. Great view at night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graeme O
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time that I stayed at Hard Rock hotel. Overall, Hard Rock @ Sentosa is modern, nicely decorated and well maintenance.

The room is big enough for a family of four. 2 double beds are provided. We joined both the bed and my children were happily rolling from one end to another. There's a magnificent view from our room.

The bathroom is well equipped with separate shower, toilet and dressing area. It really give you a rock n roll feel.

Kids love the swimming pool. It's big enough for them to explore and it come with a mini slide. However, I hate the artificial sand around the swimming.

The hotel is slightly far from Universal Studio, 5 to 10 mins walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked three rooms at the hotel for a three night stay for six of us (myself and teen kids). The Hard Rock Hotel on Sentosa was a woeful disappointment. Some glaring improvements need to be made to this hotel -- from the attitude of the staff to the cleanliness of the rooms. My first encounter with the check in staff was the first disappointment. Sadly it was not to be the last. At 245pm I was told the rooms were not ready (official check in time is 3pm). I was offered one room for six of us to wait in while the rooms were prepared. Unreasonable to say the least. Hard Rock, this is how you SHOULD treat guests from whom you have already collected payment before they have even switched on a light. We ought to have at least been offered a welcome drink and seated comfortably somewhere rather than expected to stand and wait around for you to get your act together. The offer of asking us to wait six in a room was ridiculous. .The other disappointment was finding two of the rooms had not been well cleaned when we eventually got into them. I had to collar one house cleaning staff to polish mirrors covered in oily fingerprints. The final disappointment -- check out staff who copped one serious attitude with me when I requested a late checkout. I asked for a late check out o 2 pm. Late checkout is typically noon. The male staff member attendance said we could only have one room for the six of us again until 1pm.

When I complained that at check in we had been given two rooms late, he spent a great deal of time searching through our records and finally tried to negotiate the fact that since we had been given two rooms late then we could only have two rooms for late check out and he calculated that it meant we could stay till 1.30pm. I've never heard such posturing nonsense in all my years of staying in hotels. 5-star hotel? Hard Rock -- you wish.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony that faces the pool
4 Thank Kappascat

Travelers are raving about these Sentosa Island hotels

manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel in April 2013. I booked the package promotion ( 2night stay + Universal Studio tickets, Sea Aquarium tickets and the Waterpark tickets for 2) through hotel bookings.com

Check in was handled by Diana. She was very friendly. We were upgraded to a smoking one bedroom suite since they were informed that the trip was for my mom's 70th bday. We checked it first because I am not sure if the room smells. Luckily, upon checking the room, it was acceptable. We were also given a complimentary bday cake.

I found the room below my expectation. The dining table needs to be replaced. The double lock has to be fixed.. However, the bath and toilet is excellent. The room has 2 separate toilets. The toilet inside the bedroom has a separate cubicle from the tub and a separate shower.

The breakfast was good. However, the day before our stay at Hard Rock, we came from another hotel in KL which has an excellent selection so I find Hard Rock's breaksfast a little limited.

I find the lobby too dark at night time.. I don't know if its the same for all Hard Rock hotels but I find it a little bothersome.

It was the staff who made the difference. Aside from Diana, I was also impressed by Yudi who works as a lobby attendant. I worked at a hotel before and I know that most staff interact with the younger people. Yudi, however made an effort to interact with my elderly mom. I also found the in-room dining staff who delivered our cake very courteous but at the same time friendly. I, however failed to get his name.

The hotel wasn't what I expected it to be but there are staffs who made our stay pleasant.

Room Tip: If you have kids or with an elderly, better stay at Festive or Hotel Michael to avoid the long walk...
2 Thank kindheartie
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

booked a room at this hotel at the last minute as a anniversary staycation with the spouse and 1 yr old son. service was excellent. accidentally left a cellphone on the bench at the basement carpark just below the hotel and thankfully for us, it was discovered by one of the hotel staff. staff promptly texted a family member to get in touch with us to retrieve the phone! we really appreciated her honesty and integrity!

spent a day at the USS so we retired for the night with the little one. at breakfast, service staff was great with one staff even offering to help look after our son as we joined the buffet queue. went for a swim after and the pool was awesome!! my boy sure didn't wanna get out of the pool!

it was a short stay but a wonderful one. no doubt abt that!