Here are my pros and cons of staying at Hard Rock Hotel:
1. Excellent location. Literally only 5 minutes walk from hotel to Universal Studio Singapore (USS) and one of the monorail station of Sentosa. Great for late risers but who wants to be at USS when the park opens. Also perfect if you hate leaving early from Sentosa because you're afraid of missing the last bus to the city. We were able to just stroll to our hotel after we finished seeing the Songs of the Sea show. Added bonus was that since a lot of people leave by 9pm from Sentosa, we were able to enjoy some popular attractions in Sentosa, such as the Luge, with absolutely no line.
If you have small children or a senior, save yourself the hassle of travelling by getting a hotel inside Sentosa. My mother loved the fact that we could just walk to the hotel after a long day and immediately relax.
2. Entrance Fee is waived. I know it's only $1-3 (depending on whether you walk, drive or use the monorail), but still it's money you save if you show your hotel confirmation print out at the entrance toll gate of Sentosa.
3. Big pool. Located at the back of the hotel. I think there are 4 kinds but the most popular one had sand and made to look like a beach - children would enjoy this.
4. Good size room with nice, comfy yet firm pillows. Well decorated from the color (purple which I loved) to the furniture (nice lamps) and accessory stand (shape of a guitar). There is even extra space in the form of a pull out bed although we did not feel it necessary to use since each twin bed can accommodate up to 2 people.
My sister loved the flip flops they offered instead of the usual flimsy hotel slippers. It had the Hard Rock logo and best of all was free.
1. No free WiFi. Seriously, even at the lobby. You have to pay a fee for this which I find ridiculous since most of the lesser expensive hotels is offering at least free WiFi in the lobby.
2. No door in the bathroom. There is a separate room/cubicle for the toilet but anyone in the room can hear your private business. That makes it awkward if you are staying with friends. The bathroom was separated from the room by some kind of frosted glass. At night, when you open the lights on the mirror stand in the mirror, the glare of the light illuminates the bed and would sometimes disturb the person sleeping.
3. Music Blaring. We stayed at the 3rd floor which is just above the hotel restaurant/lobby. The hotel had set up speakers all over their outside area and would play music until 11pm-12mn. Eventhough the door to our balcony was closed, you can still hear a lot of the music which is distracting especially if you want to sleep already.
4. Poor cable TV offering. Most of the channels were in Chinese and I think the only English speaking channel was CNN, AXN and MTV. I watched Charlie's Angel : Full Throttle about 4x in 2 days.
4.Poor curb service. From the time we arrived to the time we checked out, nobody helped us with our luggage at the entrance - even though there were no other guests around. We finally asked one passing bellboy to help us get a taxi, which he did, then he promptly left. At the check in counter, the receptionist did not even ask us if we need help with the luggage. For a supposedly "rock star" theme hotel, I did not feel at all like a rock star - maybe a groupie?
Normally I wouldn't book a hotel this expensive (standard rate is about $400/night) but found a great package on their website for 3d/2n plus 2 tickets to Universal Studio (value $120) for only $470 total. The initial hotel I was thinking of staying near Orchard Road was about $160/night.
Final verdict? For the amount we paid and the hotel location, definitely worth staying at the Hard Rock especially if you have small kids. With the standard rate, forget it. You are better off spending the money somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- See the new Hard Rock Hotel Singapore, where energy and glamour meet cutting edge contemporary design. Visit now to experience our new dining, entertainment, and amenities that will have you feeling like rock royalty. We’re just minutes away from the region’s top attractions, including Universal Studios Singapore and SEA Aquarium, as well as Asia’s flagship spa – the world-renowned ESPA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hard Rock Hotel Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hard Rock Hotel, Singapore Hotel Sentosa Island