“Good experience”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good experience”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed 4 nights at the Hard rock, beautiful rooms, fantastic pool and a good location next to Universal. Disappointed with the delays checking in but over all our experience was good and would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bisbane
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Huge rooms. Luxury bathroom with separate toilet. Excellent pools. Endless attractions.
Loved the hotel and its facilities. The room was huge with two queen sized beds and heaps of floor space. Good sized wardrobes. The bathroom was unique with its glass walls. Everything was an easy walk within the resort complex...the many, many attractions, food venues, pools, shops, casino, etc. The Malaysian Hawker Street Food hall was the best. Our stay was too short. Two new attraction have opened since we were there in November. They are a water theme park with its new hotel and the worlds largest aquarium.

Negatives: We arrived onto Sentosa via monorail and found the lack of directional signage for the hotels frustrating. We walked all over the complex lugging suitcases only to have to backtrack several times. Getting to the Hard Rock Hotel reception was like navigating through a maze. Check-in was tedious and took too long.
Most disappointing was the lack of 'live' music. Given that the Hard Rock brand name is based worldwide on the music industry we were amazed to discover that there is only live music on Friday and Saturday nights within the hotel. Surely a single muso/artist could perform the other nights!!!!
Allow yourself 5 to 7 days to explore both the Resorts World complex and also Sentosa Island....IT'S AWESOME! Be sure to do the "Images of Singapore" exhibit and allow at least 2 hours to do it properly

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Booked a staycation package for 2 nights x 2 rooms which included 4 adult Universal studios pass. Hotel was nice and pool was great. Surrounding attractions & restaurants were all within reasonable walking distance.

Perhaps my expectations were a little high for a hotel like Hard Rock, firstly, one of our rooms was only released to us at 5pm which was 2 hours late from the official check in time. I booked this package 4 months in advance and requested a fruit basket (paid for) for each room to welcome my family. No fruit basket and front desk could only offer apology.

Rooms were nice & quite clean although I did notice some small flies on the frosted glass separating the bathroom and bed. Lights were too dim for my liking especially in the bathroom and loo. By the way, no locks for loo and shower area, just separated by a frosted glass door (warning to parents of young children). btw only 2 bath towels per room despite the fact that there were 3 of us to a room (2 adults & a child)

Room service and housekeeping was slow to react to any requests. Breakfast (included) was crowded on first day and selection was lacking ..... on second day we were turned away bcos there was no available seats, thus requesting us to walk to Festive hotel instead :( We went to coffee club instead.

Corridor outside rooms were noisy even in the wee hours of the morning. Perhaps it was the school holidays so the hotel was at full capacity. Staff were friendly but busy. So if you are not to particular and a patient individual, this hotel should do fine.

my wife did say that we probably should have booked a different hotel, so i guess I won't be going back anytime soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Given that the hotel has just been awarded the Gold Award for: Best 5 in Asia in the Category of HAPA Signature Deluxe Hotel recently, I'm disappointed by my stay. In fact, I went on the Grand Opening of Resorts World. One would expect everyone and everything to be at it's best that day but apparently, it wasn't so.

I took up a package offer of 3D2N at $310 +++ per night. It was inclusive of breakfast for 1 and free internet access. I thought it sounded pretty good, so I went with my 3 little kids. (4yrs, 2yrs, 1yr)

The check-in process was relatively smooth. Perhaps because I went in at 4pm after reading reviews on Tripadvisor about slow checking in process. We received help with our luggage and we got to our room with no fuss. The bellboy was very friendly and explained the different controls of the room. It was a good start.

I noticed that the air-con of the room was too cold for comfort so I adjusted the temperature. The kids were all ready to hit the pool so I didn't stay long enough to realize the control was not working. The pool was lovely. It has nice features for children, like the mini slide and the beach with really fine sand. However, it also means there are sand everywhere. It can be quite painful to walk outside of the pool without footwear. The pool was surprisingly not overcrowded. The kids had fun.

Pool towels were provided but we have to sign out for it. Upon returning to the hotel, we have to return it. So my kids were kind of shivering all the way from lobby to hotel without the towels. Parents can probably take note of this and give your children some dry clothing on the way up to the room from the pool.

We had dinner in the room because it was raining outside. That was when we found out the room was freezing. We tried to adjust the temperature using the controls. Even at 30 degrees, my kids were shivering. We called the front desk and a technician came in about half an hour later. After "fixing" the air-con for about 45 mins, he claimed that it was fixed. It was about 9pm when he was done. The room was still freezing, but I thought I needed to give the room some time for the temperature to be regulated so I switched off the air con. (Temperature still set at 30 degrees)

After it got warmer, at about 10 plus, I switched on the aircon again. It didn't take long for the room to become freezing cold again. Since my husband and kids were already asleep I didn't want to switch on the lights to disturb them. I asked the housekeeping for 3 extra blankets so that each of my kid can have double layer of blanket but they only brought 1. They said cannot exceed 3 blankets per room. So out of the 5 of us, my hubby and I decided to let our kids have the extra blankets.

So the entire night was just spent switching on and off the aircon. Very miserable. At about 6am, my hubby's nose and mine started to run. So did my eldest. He woke up with a blocked nose, visibly irritated and coughing away. Since 3 of us were up, we called the front desk for the technician again. This time, nobody came. I waited until 7am and I called the front desk again. At about 745am, 2 technicians came.

After about half an hour they fixed the air con. I could feel warmer air blowing from the aircon. So I thanked them and took my kids out for breakfast. After that we went to S.E.A and lunch. We came back for the kids to nap. It was pretty warm so I adjusted the temperature to 21 degrees. It was still quite warm. I thought perhaps it's the afternoon so the room cannot be totally cool.

While the kids were napping, I did some washing of their milk bottles. I used the hot water option from the tap (for the first time in my stay) to sort of sterilize the bottles a little. To my horror, the water remained scalding hot thereafter. I tried switching to totally cold water and let it run for five mins in hope that the water will cool down but it remained very hot. In fact it was so hot that it fogged up the entire toilet. The floor became moist with condensation from the steam.

Again I called the front desk for technicians to repair the tap. They came about 15mins later and fixed it. I tested before they left. There was cold water alright. So I thought it was fixed. I didn't use the tap until later at night when we came back from dinner.

After showering, I got the kids changed for bedtime. By 10pm, they were soaked in sweat because the room couldn't cool down. Bearing in mind that my hubby, son and I were still suffering from the runny nose the entire day, I was too tired to get the technician in again. I changed them into their T-shirt and shorts so that they would be more comfortable. It was quite miserable.

By 7am, my kids were all up, scratching their heads and neck. I decided we should just end our misery and check out. Upon checking out I gave the feedback to the receptionist. She gave me a feedback form and asked me to fill in, "Sorry your stay wasn't satisfactory. Please fill in this form to tell us where we can improve ourselves."

I'm not in the mood to fill in any feedback form then.

I think it's safe to say I will not return to the hotel for a very long time. Perhaps until I have forgotten about this and willing to give the place another try. A decade maybe?

Room Tip: Try to get a pool view room. We were given a "weed view" room. Quite terrible.
3 Thank Momokokomo
Thailand
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We took the 2nites 3 days package and it was a great experience. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. And the room size was quite big. Best part was the convenient accesibility to Casino and Universal Studio.

1 Thank VacheronkonM
Bandar Seri Begawan
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here for a night as on a transit to Koh Samui. Reason being it was on a weekday and hotels in the city cost more that on the island- so definitely worth your time to check if the hotels on the (Sentosa) island could be cheaper.

There is no concern on getting to the airport on time as it took about 30mins to get there from/to the hotel using a metered taxi and costs just over SGD20. One tip is to print your hotel voucher so that you can show it at the toll that you are staying at the hotel there to avoid any toll charge. Or else, you would need to pay a fee of SGD5 (if I am not mistaken).

I had booked a deluxe pool view room via LateStays.com for SGD273 a night which includes two adult one-day admission passes to experience an adventure with the Pirates of the East at The Maritime Experiential Museum™.

Upon check-in, was told that my room was upgraded to a suite - which was fabulous and was very please to know. One reason could be that the place was packed with tourists from an Asian country.

The suite was spacious with separate sitting area (with dining table) and its own guest toilet (just in case you are entertaining some show biz pal I guess) and its own flat screen TV, huge bedroom with its own flat screen TV, and huge bath with bathtub and separate shower and toilet and also a small TV in case you want to catch up on your fav show while taking a bath.

The room comes with your own Nespresso machine and 6 capsules, tea etc. There is also a ice machine near the lift - great for chilling wine or beer in your room - as you would being a rockstar and all.

In the bedroom, there is also an iPod/iPhone dock (pre-iPhone 5 version) for you to listen to music. TV channels is the usual cable channels but you have the option to have a pay per view movies too (which I don't think is worth it as you might as well download it off iTunes and watch it there). Now that would also be a clever idea if the hotel had a deal with Apple. No one want to download/pay for a movie in their own bedroom and not own it.

Speaking of that, WiFi is not free in hotel room/lobby. I had to pay around $16 for a 4 hr access - which I did not mind as I did get a room upgrade afterall.

Bed was comfortable and had a good night sleep.

Had a couple glass of champagne at the lobby bar though initial impression was not good. Sat at the bar area and waiting for the waitress to approach and asked if I had wanted to drink but instead, I had to approach her instead. Not very rockstar-ish.

The male waiter was much better as he had walked the floor and check on guests - if wanted to order another drink or not.

Didn't try the pool area but did try their in room dining and ordered their burger which was good and delicious.

Their toiletries are good too and smelt very nice.

I actually have 3 TVs in the room - one in the living room, another in bedroom and a small one in the bath just in case you don't want to miss your fav show while taking a bath.

Bed is comfy and definitely had a good night sleep on it.

All in all, was happy with my stay at the hotel. Would definitely stay here again for a transit if its on a weekday (price changed alot during the weekend for obvious reason). Staff are polite and willing to help when needed.

The hotel do give an MRT pass that one could use so if you need to go to the city.

Another tip would be to book a taxi if you intend to leave early the next day as I had to wait around 20minutes for a taxi when I check out at 6.30am.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at the Hard Rock at the end of 2011 for 1 night and thought it was fantastic, so naturally, booked again for early Dec 2012. UPon check-in, there were no king bed rooms available (although I did request this) so had to take a twin room. The person who checked us in said they would come up later and push the beds together, which they didn't and we didn't bother to ring to follow up. The second day, housekeeping came to make our room up (at after 3pm) and took the bath robes and didn't not replace them. My husband rang to have them replaced as he did not want to be charged upon check out. There was no hand towel, only a face washer and the lighting is so poor. The air-conditioning was all over the place in our room and the hotel and the carpets leading from the lifts to the rooms on all levels could do with a vacuum more regularly. The breakfast was horrible - everything was cold. There was no egg station and for a top hotel, there should be some-one cooking eggs. By the third morning, I refused to eat breakfast in the hotel even though we had paid for it. In my in-laws room, there was mould in the shower and mould spots on the ceiling. Neither rooms has a sprinkler in case of a fire. Overall, we were disappointed in the hotel and will not stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple