“High expectations but sadly disappointed”

Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Am writing this review while still in the hotel. Overall a good hotel but not the standard you expect for a five star hotel. The furnishings are scratched and damaged despite the hotel being relatively new. Carpark lift lobby to hotel lobby looks sleazy like some motel and the rooms lift lobby certainly needs some cleaning up as the carpets smell worse than a wet dog. Room though is relatively clean. The pools and the water features are really a big draw to this hotel. They are magnificent! Otherwise, I doubt I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank danngkb
Write a ReviewReviews (2,178)

Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel only for access to the pool - which was very nice. Turns out though you can stay at any hotel there at Resort World section and access the pool. So just pick the cheapest option. The Hard Rock Hotel room was identical to any other hotel room. Just some wall paper of Jimmy Hendrix. The staff was not friendly at all, and extremely slow. They wanted to charge extra for towels, even though we find we shower day and night in the hot climate. I would not recommend it, but it is passable.

Room Tip: Seems like one side faces the pool, and the other side faces the harbor. Your choice. We went with...
1  Thank Elli0286
Reviewed April 4, 2012

It is a crying shame to associate this place as a Hard Rock Hotel. There's nothing that reflects the brand except for some pictures on the wall, Slash's guitar and a few outfits. Ok, cheaply printed Hendrix wallpaper in the rooms. The main ingredient of the brand is missing so badly that it's just another hotel. I am extremely disappointed as it was the brand that prompted me to book 2 rooms at the hotel to celebrate a birthday. My experience at HR Bali, Penang, Pattaya, Las Vegas have all been extremely positive and this was just such a let down.

Consider this, no live music in the lounge for the 3 nights and four days we were there, no music can be heard at the pool bar which is located at the far end of the pool and Sheryl Crow is the only CD you own. No waiter of waitress service for food and drinks around the pool (one bartender and one waitress with attitudes that if you want something you need to go to them not vice versa).

Other negatives, booming sound from Television in the rooms, extremely unstable television feed resulting in the picture freezing constantly and the "sorry you are screwed" attitude of the Starz restaurant maitre d. We planned to have a bite before checking out at noon, so at 11, we proceeded downstairs to the only restaurant in the hotel and they tell us, sorry, have to wait for 45 mins to get served because they are changing over from breakfast to lunch! No suggestions, just the attitude of too bad. The touch card door keys didn't work 3 times and yes, I was careful not to put it close to any electronics and even kept it in its holder. Unstable, have to pay, Internet service.

Positives? Nice rooms, decent amenities, great housekeeping and knowledgable concierge.

Here's my suggestion to the Genting Group who owns this place. Give up the Hard Rock franchise, you aren't helping the brand and vice versa. Convert it to a regular 4 star resort hotel because you are definitely not 5 with only one restaurant and no bath tubs in rooms. Target family with kids who want to visit Universal Studios, drop the price or sell packages including admission to the park. The hotel pool is children oriented and friendly. The kids club, albeit expensive has some good staff that seem to entertain the children well. Increase your children's menu; 3 choices isn't enough. On the other hand, you could forget the kids and HR theme and concentrate what you do well; cash in on the gamers, it's always an excellent bet for you :). I for one would stop in your casino there if I could get a comp room, tickets to shows sponsored by your group like La Vie.

Have a Rockin’ Day!

1  Thank paulmkam
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Room not bad but housekeeping should do a better job in order to make the room from not bad to good. To be a rated as a five star hotel, toliet should provide shaving kit, and better quality of shower foam and shampoo.
Swimming is good but there were be no peace if it is crowded with kids, but it is not the management fault.
I am served by a very good staff at the reception during check in, she is a Mulism lady, her name should be Azwina. She is the 1st staff i talk to at HRH. She handle my reservation in a 5 stars manner and help me all my requests in a prefect way. Even she is very busy at the check in counter, she keep smiling and gave me a very friendly and welcoming feeling during conversation. Very good of her.
Five star hotel not only can be classy, but it should have staffs like the 2 i mention. They were really make their guests feel welcoming.
There is also a very friendly Indian guy that help me to store my bag. He greet me, smile and even joke with me during writing down my particular during the process of him storing my bag.
I would return to this hotel, but i hope the housingkeeping department can make sure they can improve the rooms cleanilness.
Hard Rock hotel i would rate them 4stars, but the staffs i rate them 6 stars.

Room Tip: Smoke in the room with balcony and please take care of the carpet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We were supposed to stay at Festive Hotel but their family rooms were fully booked. They only had deluxe twin rooms available but the same kind of rooms were available at Hard Rock hotel at a much lower cost.

I reserved our room through Booking.com and check-in was a breeze (**We were there OFF-SEASON). The lobby had a lot of comfy seating, a bar and a restaurant. The hotel is quite cozy despite the "rock" theme.

Our hotel room was big enough for all of us. They gave us a room facing the pool. They provided 2 "twin" beds but each bed is the size of a full bed. The sheets were very clean and the pillows seemed new. When you turn on the tv, there's a welcome note from Resorts World. Unfortunately, channel selection is very limited. We ended up watching only NatGeo and AXN.

I noticed, though, that the doors are not sound-proof. In the corridor, you can hear guests in their rooms. So I had to keep on reminding my kids to be quiet inside the hotel room.

The bathroom has separate doors for the shower and toilet. I find it CLEANISH -- meaning it looked clean but there was grime at the nooks and crannies. I also noticed that during the 2nd and 3rd day, housekeeping didn't clean the bathroom as thoroughly. I assume the in-depth cleaning is for the 1st day of guests.

I loved that the hotel is a 2-minute walk from Universal Studios and some Resorts World attractions. The area is filled with restaurants.

My kids loved Hard Rock's pool! They have a "beach" area with real sand, a kiddie-splash pool, a regular pool, a jacuzzi, an infinity-lap pool and a bar by the pool where we had snacks and drinks. Guests could spend the whole day just enjoying the pool.

This hotel was worth it -- for the excellent pool and excellent location.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Room: Our Deluxe Pool View room was adequate but certainly not deluxe. I had low expectations, having read lots of Trip Advisor reviews in advance, but took advantage of an Agoda 50% special. Even at that rate, the room didn't seem like a good value. Specific complaints: 1.) I paid an extra bed charge of $55.96 USD per night to accommodate my teenage son. Seems there's a twin trundle bed standard underneath every king bed so I'm not sure what I was paying for. Perhaps I was paying for the bedding, which I did manage to get from housekeeping after three phone calls? 2.) The window didn't open so the room smelled musty. 3.) The bathroom had mold in the corners. 4.) The room had little gnats (bugs) flying around. I complained at checkout and they promised to address it. 5.) The bathroom had large, wall-mounted bottles of shampoo (no conditioner) and bodywash shared by guests.

Hotel: We spent two nights each in the Shangri-La Rasa (see separate review) and the Hard Rock Hotel. The Hard Rock Hotel was cheaper but offered less value, especially if I added in the cost of the extra bed ($56) breakfast (expensive) and Wifi ($35/day). The Hard Rock also seemed quite empty, while the Shangri-La was full of families. Other reviewers complained that the Hard Rock seemed "dark." It's true. I think the designers were going for a cool, nightclub kind of vibe but they fell short of their mark. On a positive note, the pool is outstanding. It has a kids' slide, water play area, swim up bar, sandy bottom area, and separate lap pool. Unfortunately, the pool closes at 8 PM, making it hard to squeeze in a swim after a full day at Universal Studios, which closes at 7 PM.

Location: We arrived by bus and struggled to find our way to the Hard Rock Hotel, which is attached to the convention center. Resort World is like a maze with the enormous bus depot in the bowels of the compound. Arriving by taxi would have been much easier. We eventually discovered a "back door" to the hotel grounds next to the Hard Rock Cafe entrance, which can be opened with a room key, but it has a long flight of stairs so it's not stroller accessible. We choose to stay in the Hard Rock because we planned to spend a full day at Universal Studios and thought the hotel would be convenient. It certainly was convenient but since the park doesn't even open until 10 AM, it would have been fairly easy to get there on time even if we had stayed on the other side of Sentosa or elsewhere in Singapore.

We won't go back to this Hard Rock Hotel, although we really enjoy the one in Penang, Malaysia.

1  Thank GlobalGrays
Reviewed March 28, 2012

For a room that costs an astronomical S$570 and that touts itself as a 5* hotel, the service, facilities and conditions are appalling.
Poor impressions started accumulating at the reception, where staff laze around instead of checking guests in.
It snowballed when you moved to the lift lobby, which reeked of ammonia. Same smell at 6th floor lift lobby. By the way, no one helped with bags.
Within the room, part of paint had shockingly peeled off (I thought it was new??) and slippers, water were missing. Service was unresponsive.
Don't get me wrong; I would rate this as 2.5 to 3* but this is definitely not 4 or FIVE. I paid a discounted price for the room but I should have known there is a catch...

• Stayed: March 2012