Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa(Sentosa Island)
Great 4.5/5
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
Average 3/5
1,599 results
All reviewsbob's barpersonal assistantgarden villaknolls restaurantauriga spachef davidconstellation roompremier sea viewchinese restaurantplunge poolpremier roommain buildingcolonial buildingoutdoor showerthe south china seabose sound systemhigh tech
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at Capella with my family (including my 7-year-old maltese and 6-month old nephew) over the long weekend, from 8 to 12 August 2013. This was our 2nd stay (the first was during Christmas last year) at the hotel.

About a week prior to our check-in, i emailed the hotel to request for a baby bed for my nephew, and newspapers and trash bags for my dog's pee-tray. To this, i received a prompt email reply from Eeza confirming that my requests had been noted and would be catered for. I was also pleasantly surprised with a call from the hotel 3 days before our stay, checking on what time we would arrive for check-in, and asking for the names of my nephew and dog.

We arrived at Capella around 3:30pm on 8 August, and the staff at the bell desk greeted us warmly and very efficiently offloaded our luggage from our vehicle. With a cranky baby in tow, we had expected to be able to settle in immediately. However, we were politely informed that our room was not ready and we had to wait for another hour or so as the hotel was operating at full occupancy and some guests had checked out a little later than expected. In a quick act of service recovery, one of the staff at the front desk (very sorry that i did not get your name) ushered us to Bob's bar for some drinks and snacks on the house. This was a nice touch and we managed to keep my nephew distracted for a while with the colourful cushions on the lounge sofas.

Some time close to 5pm, we were ushered to our room (#418) which had a beautiful view of the pools and sea. There were only 2 problems: the room had a king bed in place of the twins i had requested, and there was no sight of the amenities i had requested earlier. When we reflected this to the staff who showed us to the room, she responded that the only sea-view room available was the one we were in and we would end up with a garden view if we wanted a twin bedded room. We decided to stay put in the room we were given both because it had a great view, and because we did not want to cope with a frenzied baby as it was past my nephew's feeding hour by then.

Our luggage arrived at the room within 10 to 15 minutes after us, but the requested amenities were only sent over after 3 reminders/requests to separate housekeeping staff and an hour later, which i felt was quite disappointing. Capella has beautiful pools that i was looking forward to using on the very first evening of my check-in. However, it was way past 6pm by the time we settled in and i reluctantly gave up my idea of a pre-sunset evening swim.

Thankfully, things started to go uphill after that (except for the resident gecko/wall lizard we had to tolerate every single night - which adds to the resort feel of the place). We took a short drive to Sentosa Cove for dinner, and when we returned, found that our room had been made up and tastefully turned down for the evening. Later that night, we received a complimentary bottle of wine and handwritten note from Suveen from Guest Relations, apologising for our earlier ordeal and inviting us to dinner at The Knolls. I thought this was a pleasant surprise and an example of the personalised service Capella promises its guests.

In addition, over the next few days, all of the staff we came into contact with were patient and polite, and mostly ever-ready with smiles and warm greetings that alleviated the disappointment we experienced at check-in. We also had a very professional housekeeper, Ya Lan, throughout our stay, who very quickly memorised my mother's preference of drinks and was impeccable in keeping the nooks and crannies of our room immaculately clean.

Our stay came with daily breakfast at The Knolls, and the buffet spread, while not extensive, was sufficient and packed with fresh ingredients. The fruit and juices in particular, were some of the freshest and sweetest i had tasted. For a 5-day stay, i was rather satisfied, but that being said, i am not fussy with food and can imagine guests who are more picky (or staying longer) wanting more variation to the menu. We had dinner at The Knolls on the 3rd night of our stay, and were suitably impressed with the grilled satay platter. It was to-die-for, easily the best satay i've ever had :)

The location and design of Capella Singapore make for a luxurious, non-intrusive resort-feel that is unique only to the hotel itself. Even though the hotel was running at visibly high occupancy, i never once felt that my personal space was invaded, be it at the pool or the library (the 2 places i spent the most time in other than my room). And i really enjoyed the long strolls i was able to take with my dog (who was really the main reason why we chose Capella over other options) between the gardens and on the paths leading to Palawan beach right below the hotel.

Overall, we had a relaxing stay at the Capella in spite of our check-in experience, and i do think the hotel has many things going for it, including a team of good staff. The service we experienced was not always consistent, but overall the pros outweigh the cons. Would we stay at the Capella again? Yes. It's beautiful, well-run, and i can think of no other place in Singapore that is able to offer the unique experience of feeling like you're a thousand miles away from home (and work) even though in reality it is just a 30 minute drive away. My only suggestion would be for the hotel to constantly work on getting from good to great so that every one of its guests would walk away feeling that their experiences are worth every single penny they paid.

Room Tip: The sea-view rooms are breathtaking.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TheCallaLily82
sandyliw, Director of Sales & Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

I am so happy that you came back to stay with us again and I am pleased to know that your reservation and pre-arrival experience was seamless.

Please accept my sincere apologies on your arrival experience. Having to wait for the room is definitely unacceptable on our part and the relevant departments have all been notified of this issue. I assure you that we have looked into how we can ensure that such issues do not occur again.

In spite of that, I am thrilled to read about how much you enjoyed your stay, especially the service provided by all our staff. It is truly heartening to know that we were able to provide you with an enjoyable stay. The resort is as you described, a very serene place away from the madding crowds. Our large landscape and spacious rooms are a rare commodity in a bustling, land scarce, city like Singapore.

Thank you for your continued support. I am pleased to know that you will be back to stay with us again. We will definitely continue finding ways to improve the experience for our guests to ensure that they have a seamless, hassle free stay with us each time. I look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore again soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights at the start of a 2 week trip through SE Asia. It was the best hotel of our trip (even though both places we stayed at subsequently in Borneo were more expensive).
The location in Sentosa is a bit out of the way, but that also makes the place very peaceful. To some extent, the garden (minus the view of big ships in the straits) reminded us of the Datai in Lankawi, which is pretty hard to achieve in a bustling metropolis like S'pore.
The service and the food were good, and the rooms nicely and tastefully appointed.
Not cheap but definitely value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Robbie R

I am thrilled to know that we were your favourite hotel during this trip through South East Asia.

The location of Capella Singapore is definitely special and unique, being only just minutes away from the city, we are blessed with 30-acres of beautiful lush tropical greenery with magnificent views of the South China Sea, creating that tranquil and beautiful surrounding for our guests. I have had many guests share with me that watching the ships sail by is therapeutic. Indeed, I find ship-watching therapeutic as well, sometimes I feel that they are reminiscent of the clusters of stars that colour our galaxy.

I am happy that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff and the food served in the hotel. I hope that you will be back to Capella Singapore again soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Capella is a unique place to be in Singapore, Santosa island. Very comfortable hotel.
All the staff at the hotel were cheerful, smiling, helpful and greet the customer.
The team at the reception were fantastic, helpful, friendly and responsive.
The Concierge team was quick to arrange taxi or shuttle bus, as well very helpful to guide us wherever we like to visit.
The room was specious, clean, modern, having nice view of the garden and sea. The housekeeping team cleaned & organized the room twice daily.
Afternoon tea - coffee service in the Library was awesome.
Breakfast was fresh, very rich with fruits, pastries, yogurts, sushi, meat, eggs, anything just name it...!!
The hotel reception provided Orchird plant as souvenir. It was fantastic gift and great memories.
I will definitely return , it's great place to be.

Room Tip: I would advise room on the higher floor for better view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nellutzi

It was truly a pleasure to read about your wonderful experience with us, from the attentive service of all our staff, to the spacious rooms and the breakfast spread at The Knolls. It is also great that you were able to experience the complimentary afternoon tea in The Library. It is definitely a highlight for many of our guests as well.

I am thrilled that you have made great memories here with is and I am looking forward to being able to welcome you back to Capella Singapore again on your next visit.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and i spent 5 nights at Capella July 31- Aug 5...and it was just perfect. The staff were really lovely, friendly, helpful and always available if we needed anything. We loved Bob's bar...I had arrived from freezing Melb so we really enjoyed the evening warmth. The lounges are perfect for a cocktail and the 'bar food' was excellent. Everything was pretty expensive, which we had expected...but worth the indulgence for this beautiful, peaceful place.
We stayed in a seaview room...with gorgeous views from the huge windows. The room was large and luxurious...and we especially loved the automated blinds and curtains! The bathroom was also gorgeous...and the balcony perfect for afternoon drinks.
Room service meals were delievered quickly...and the food was delicious!
We didn't wat at either restaurant...unfortunately Cassia was fully booked on out last night...which surprised for a monday night!

The swimming pools are beautiful...as was the iced water delivered as soon as we sat down.

Breakfast was great...and again we enjoyed being able to sit outdoors :)

The shuttle to Vivo shopping centre was also very helpful.

It's not a cheap place to stay but well worth the money :)

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for an ocean view room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cazzandgrant

It was such a joy to read about the enjoyable experience both you and your husband had during your stay with us, from the service provided by our staff, to the room and the cascading swimming pools.

I am especially pleased that you loved Bob’s Bar, it is definitely a favourite place for many of our guests to unwind and watch the sunset while enjoying a refreshing cocktail and tapas. Surrounded by our lush greenery with the South China Sea in full view, Bob’s Bar is truly unique. On Thursdays to Saturdays, we have a South American band that plays Latin music. I do hope that you were able to get the chance to hear them.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here as new visitors to Singapore and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Location wise, to be out of the main action of the city was perfect, we were close to everything yet still felt we were on a tranquil holiday. The staff were sensational and our PA Filippina took extra care and attention meeting all our needs. We felt like we were very special guests, looked after like royalty.

Room Tip: We had a Garden view rather an Sea view and it was just as special
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

First and foremost, I hope you enjoyed your time here in Singapore as new visitors! I am grateful that you chose to stay with us during your maiden foray into our beautiful country. I am also thrilled to learn of your wonderful experience with us, especially because of the service provided by our staff. At Capella Singapore, all our guests are of top most importance to us which is why we do our best to get to know each guest to create a personalised and hassle-free experience for each guest.

Capella Singapore is indeed as you described a great location to unwind and escape the busy hustle and bustle of the crowds even though it is just minutes away from the city. The 30-acres of lush landscape make the resort a very peaceful and tranquil haven.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your words of praise and recommendation. I hope you will be returning to Capella Singapore again soon.