“Enjoyable stay (detailed description of hotel in review)”
Review of Capella Singapore

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Walchwil, Switzerland
“Enjoyable stay (detailed description of hotel in review)”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had an enjoyable stay at this hotel. Location is great. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city. There is lots to do on the island but within 10 minutes with taxi (around singapore $10 one way) one is in downtown singapore. Hotel gives free taxi entrance passes during stay so no need to pay extra fee to get onto island. Don't forget to take with you! Book taxis in advance as none on site and may take a bit of time to come. Alternatively there is a speedlink train. Hotel is a mix of colonial and modern design. Garden is not really garden with different flowers but lots of green bushes. Lifts do not go to all floors so be prepared to walk stairs. Rooms are very spacious and have all the amenities own could possible imagine. Very nice!!! Gardenview rooms don't really look over a garden but look towards the city so get some skyline views. Seaview as someone has mention is not really a glimpse of the water with lost of cargo barges and big boat. Don't think the extra cost for a seaview room is really worth it. Service is attentive and courteous. Food and drinks are exorbitant and unnecessarily so! Singapore$38 for 3 cappuccinos!!!!! Bar design still needs to be worked on as not enough sits for the number of guests. Number of visitors from outside the hotel come and occupy all sits leaving none for staying guests. PS Singaporean don't really like to share so you can easily find 2 persons taking up a lounge are for 6 to 10. We got a funny face from both occupiers and hotel manager when we asked if we could occupy 2 of the free 6 chairs. Sometimes live music but stops at 10 pm - like any food order - just when people turning up after finishing their dinner. A bit strange! Once the band is gone the bar seems to have no "feel" to it. Food was good but again expensive. Suggest you eat outside the hotel. There is a lot of choice, Regarding breakfast make sure whether it is included in your price. If not the buffet breakfast costs $48 per person (kids as well). Can order a a carte if want to. A "hidden fact" that our personal assistant forgot to mention (all guests get one) and we found out by chance is that in the library you can get tea and coffee and some pastry for free as a hotel guest! Please note that the hotel adds a 10% services charge and the 7% tax to all its prices! Another "hidden fact" we found out was that for hotel guests there is high tea in the library every day at 15:00-17:00 and a port tasting session on one of the weekdays. The pools are a let down. Again not enough lounge chairs. The cushions were dirty. When we pointed this out (i.e. bird poo) nothing was done. The top pool is the easiest to get into with proper steps. The second pool has an extremely poor entrance/exit. Steps are cut into the pool wall and the bars which are so far apart are no help. Both my daughter and my mother had extreme difficulties getting in and out. The floor around the pools is extremely hot and you burn you feet! Be prepared to also have a lot of non-hotel outside guests using the pool. No one at the hotels seems to check who comes and goes. Last but not least the spa. Had a pedicure,manicure and one of their massage packages. All were very good. For your treatments one gets into a sort of "bed" on the massage table. Very nice and cosy. Prices are high but it is singapore. Universal Studio tickets can by the way be purchased at reception at there usual price. And there is a shuttle to take you there. Ask when it leaves as not frequent. So overall had an enjoyable stay and would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Hellbraun
sandyliw, Director of Sales & Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Capella Singapore on Tripadvisor. I am so happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our rooms are indeed the most spacious and they come with a whole host of complimentary services such as the mini bar, wifi, a Nespresso machine and so much more. The award-winning Auriga spa is also indeed a gem and I am thrilled that you were able to experience it.

On your comment about the food prices in the hotel, the extra surcharges that you mentioned (the 10% service charge and 7% taxes) are actually a nationwide standard that you would find in any restaurant or café in Singapore. Regarding your feedback on Bob’s Bar, we definitely do get a lot of hotel as well as city guests who patronise the bar, especially on the weekends. We will definitely consider how we can better accommodate and serve hotel guests who would like to relax at the bar. I also apologise that you were not informed of some of the activities in the Library. We will be taking active steps to improve and ensure this does not happen again.

Once again, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your kind recommendation. I hope that you will return again to Capella Singapore.

Best Regards
Sandy Liw
Director of Sales & Marketing
Capella Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I cant recommend this hotel highly enough, the hotel is beautiful and the service was excellent, the staff were friendly and helpful without be overbearing.

Hubbie and I stayed here for 2 nights over the Easter break, on the Capella Escape package, the package included a set lunch at The Knolls and a massage each. This is a great value package and I would certainly recommend it for a weekend getaway.

The hotel manages to blend the old colonial feel building with the sleek modern rooms and dining areas seamlessly. We stayed in the premier garden room which has gorgeous views out over the greenery of Sentosa. The room was large and modern with touchpad bedside controls for blinds and temperature. The bathroom was sleek and the shower was powerful (a MUST for us), there was also a good sized bath looking out of a floor to ceiling window.

The set lunch at The Knolls was delicious, 3 courses of rich Mediterranean food and again the restaurant staff were excellent.

The spa facilities looked wonderful however I’m 6months pregnant so was unable to make full use of them. The treatments were both very good, I opted for the babymoon massage while hubbie had the full moon massage.

Hubbie had to pop off on business so I also booked in for the Babymoon package which was 2.5hrs of total relaxation including a massage, facial, scalp treatment and afternoon tea.

The therapist was absolutely lovely and I floated out feeling utterly relaxed and refreshed, I will definitely be going back there for facials in the future! My skin was glowing.

Overall a fabulous hotel. The hotel is a perhaps a little more expensive that I would usually opt for but I can honestly say it’s worth every penny.

Room Tip: No need to pay out for the expensive suites, the basic premier garden room is excellent.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joanna P
First and foremost, congratulations on your pregnancy! You must be very excited! We are very honoured that you have chosen to enjoy your pre-baby holiday here with us at Capella Singapore.

Thank you also, for your kind review on Tripadvisor, I am thrilled at how much you enjoyed your stay with us and the Capella Escape package. Besides the beautiful architecture of the grand colonial buildings seamlessly blending into the modern curves, and the luxurious facilities in the rooms, the personalised attention of our staff are definitely one of the key highlights of Capella Singapore.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed the award winning Auriga spa, it is definitely one of the best spas in Singapore and a favourite among our guests.

Thank you again for your kind words and for recommending Capella Singapore to other travellers. I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon, with the new baby in tow!

Best Regards
Sandy Liw
Director of Sales & Marketing
Perth
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our family of four stayed at the Capella for 3 nights in early March and can only describe our stay in one word - fabulous! We had originally booked a Premier Sea View Room but upon arrival were told that we had been upgraded to a Capella Suite, a stunning and very large room with separate lounge area, a perfect "second bedroom" to put our toddler in (our infant stayed in our room with us). In addition to the complimentary upgrade, which we did not expect but really appreciated, we experienced impeccable service throughout our entire stay. The staff really went out of their way to get to know us and I could see they really loved getting to know our kids too. There were personalised plates of cookies and m&ms for our girls awaiting us in our suite upon arrival, not to mention a lovely bottle of red wine which my husband enjoyed over the next few nights (I don't drink). Once the staff knew our toddler's name, they would greet her by name each time they saw her. We loved breakfast - the small but delectable selection of pastries (fresh berries!) was my favourite, as was the made-to-order French toast and fresh coconut juice. I enjoyed a wonderful post natal spa treatment at Auriga Spa. All in all, a wonderful stay. We hope to return one day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank eugeandmaz
sandyliw, Director of Sales and Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review for us on Tripadvisor. It was truly a pleasure to read about your wonderful experience with us at Capella Singapore.

I am so pleased that our staff were perfect hosts to you and your family. At Capella Singapore, all our guests are important to us and part of making each guests’ stay with us unique is by taking the effort to remember each of our guests by name.

It is great that you were able also to enjoy the award winning Auriga spa as it is definitely one of the elements that complete the Capella experience.

I hope that you and your family will return to Capella Singapore again soon.
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Capella has got excellent location, almost entire hill. Excellent infrastructure and great service, excellent and very helpful staff. The rooms are very spacious, but if one is going for a sea view, pl be prepared to see not only the sea, but more of large ships and oil tankers. The government is considering moving port out, but that may take around 10 years. But overall it's a hotel which is worth exploring. Great holiday place.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for this great review on Tripadvisor and for recommending Capella Singapore to other viewers. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

At Capella, we believe in creating that special and unique experience for each of our guests. In order to achieve this, we do our best to give each of our guests the highest quality of service we can, in addition to providing all our guests with the details of luxury such as the spacious rooms with beautiful views and complimentary facilities.

I personally love the views of the ships that dot the horizon. Many of our guests have commented that they do find it therapeutic watching the ships pass by and that they serve as a reminder of Singapore’s rich heritage as a busy port that has made us the prosperous nation we are today.

Once again, I am so glad that your stay with us was memorable and enjoyable. I hope that you will return to Capella Singapore again soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at Capella Singapore from 6 March to 8 March 2013. I have planned this solo staycation for some time to rejuvenate and spend some time alone. Reading all the wonderful comments about the Premier Sea View Room, I wanted very much to stay in one of these rooms but alas! The Premier Sea View rooms were fully booked on my desired days of stay. So I booked a Premier Garden View room instead but wrote under the comments section that if someone happened to give up their Sea View room, I will gladly take it up.

Two days before my stay, my personal assistant from Capella, Jessica, sent me an email asking me for my preferred stay details like purpose of stay, names of companions etc. Not to worry, not too intrusive, kind gesture from the hotel to customize your stay just before you arrive. I was very pleased to be able to connect with someone from the hotel just before I arrived.

To get to the hotel, I would suggest taking a taxi from Vivocity as it is quite a long walk from the sentosa bus stops or monorail stops. Again, not to worry because once you check in, there is complimentary shuttle bus trips from the hotel to Vivocity and back. You can get a shuttle bus schedule from the reception, very handy when you need transport to the mainland! I was offered the schedule by Jessica who was at the reception awaiting my check in! Very thoughtful of her as I asked her about the shuttle bus service in our email correspondence.

When I was checking in, the staff were very friendly and warm and I was given a pleasant surprise!! I was upgraded to a suite with sea view! A very nice gesture from the hotel again, really lifted up my spirits as I had wanted a room with sea view so much. But again, I would have been happy with a garden view room as I do not think it is right for people to have such demands on the hotel. So I hope my comment here will not cause people to have unreasonable demands on the hotel. It is out of goodwill from the hotel and I really appreciated the kind gesture.

The room I had was very spacious with a living space, king-sized bed with comfortable pillows, a bathtub that gives you a view of the south china sea. The room was clean and smelled pleasant. Plenty of good quality toiletries and a big closet space. The lightings, air conditioner, curtains and blinds were all controlled by a touch-panel at the bedside, very high tech! Just need some time to figure out and not difficult to use. There was also an iPod dock with Bose system as well as complimentary mini bar and a nespresso machine for coffee lovers. The room was made up twice a day and in the evening, everything was made up for you so that you can get into bed without much preparation on your own, like the curtains all drawn up for you and a bottle of water by the bedside, very thoughtful of the housekeeping team. I would also like to commend the excellent service of the housekeeping team. I had trouble opening the bottles of mineral water as they were capped too tightly. So I left a note on the table with the bottles of water and when I got back to the room in the evening, there was a reply from the housekeeping team saying they had loosen the caps for me and on top of that, added more bottles of water for me, how thoughtful! I felt well looked after during my stay there.

Breakfast at the Knolls restaurant was good and you get a view of the cascading pools while enjoying breakfast. There was a good mix of Asian and Western food. I was also very pleasantly surprised to find fresh coconuts too, nicely chopped open for you to enjoy the fresh coconut juice.

I also had a rejuvenating time at the Auriga Spa. I had two treatments done over two days. Make sure you arrive 45 minutes before your treatment time to enjoy the award winning spa facilities, you will not regret it! Very pleasant and relaxing experience. The spa staff were also very friendly. The spa was well equipped with shower areas, toilets, towels and lockers, they even provide a small plastic bag for you to keep your wet swim suits after you use the spa facilities. Again, very thoughtful!

I would recommend this hotel to everyone, whatever your purpose of stay may be, I am sure the competent staff of the hotel will be able to make your stay a memorable one! I had the most relaxing and enjoyable staycation at Capella and I hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Rebecca T
Thank you for taking the time to leave this lovely review on Tripadvisor for us. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your wonderful stay with us and I am thrilled that we were able to make your stay with us so memorable and pleasurable.

The Personal Assistants are the hallmark of the Capella experience and together with the rest of the team at Capella Singapore, we do our utmost best to ensure that each guests’ stay with us unique and special – this is through the simple personal and thoughtful gestures to meet your every need.

I am pleased you enjoyed the breakfast spread at The Knolls and was able to experience the award winning Auriga spa.

Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendation. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore again for your next stay with us.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 21, 2013

For the first time ever, I could not find a single fault with my stay at the Garden Villa in Capella Singapore. I celebrated my birthday there, it is a most restful and relaxing holiday. The villas are beautifully deigned and maintained. The staff were welcoming and attentive. The normal check in room is 3 pm, we checked in around noon and they were able to arrange the villa for us immediately. We had a wonderful dinner at Cassia. I would strongly recommend this Hotel, their service will never let you down!
The Spa facilities and massage is the best I've ever tried

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynn1903
Thank you for this lovely review of Capella Singapore. It is a pleasure to read about your wonderful stay with us. I am so happy that you found that everything was perfect for your stay. The villas are a favourite among our guests, as is the award-winning Auriga spa, and indeed something very special that we offer our guests is the flexibility in check in and check out times where available.

Thank you for your kind recommendation and affirmation. I look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore.
Singapore
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My plans for an overseas March Vacation got smashed by various unforseen reasons. Adamant to get away for a short break, I was debating between a 2-night stay in the W (for Starwood reasons) or the Capella (thanks to the wonderful reviews on this site). I decided on the Capella because of its huge room size advantage. The constellation room - they only have 4 - was not available, so the kind lady on the phone suggested I take the Garden Villa, which comes with a private plunge pool and is larger than, but costs the same as the Constellation Room. Taking a leap of faith, I booked the Garden Villa for two nights with breakfast, the 'Capella Bed and Breakfast Experience'.
Drove to Sentosa on a Monday evening and was greeted at the reception by three very polite staff. Check-in was smooth and they offered suggestions for dinner, both in and out of the hotel and even delivered the restaurant menus to our villa so we could decide. A short buggy ride to our villa then a briefing on the room controls and amenities. Very concise indeed.
The room was divided into a living space - with complimentary drinks, fruit, a lounger, two plush chairs and a long working desktop with plugs and two international adapters. Not to mention the 55" TV and a Bose music sound system which was also in the bedroom. The bedroom had a king-sized bed, remote controls for lighting, aircon and blinds/curtains at the bedside, the TV and sound system and a rather nice fuzzy carpet. Next was the bath/vanity with two separate glass cubicles for shower and toilet, two vanities, and a really fuzzy stool in between. Oh, no that's not all. There's an outdoor rain shower AND a bath. Who can forget the plunge pool, about 3x3m pleasingly green tiled, with two pool decks along the terrace.
Very beautiful, nice zen-like colours and peaceful. We decided on the Knolls restaurant for dinner that night - Mediterranean fare, which was quite tasty. Service was prompt and polite. Daily buffet breakfast is served from 7am to 11am, with a decent variety of local and western fare. It wasn't the largest buffet, but the food was decent. Needless to say, the wait staff were polite and ever ready to help and offer dishes that were available within the buffet, but not on display. I loved the timing of breakfast because I'm not a 'breakfast person' but my room-mate was, so we managed to have a compromise with brunch/lunch/breakfast at about 10am, where other hotel buffets would have ended.
There are three pools in the Capella - two free-from ones just outside the Knolls restaurant, one level above the other, and on the third landing below, a adults-only lap pool. When we ventured out to the pools in the early afternoon, there was hardly anyone around. We had the adult pool all to ourselves, with towels available on each pool chair. Of course, one of the staff came around with cold white chocolates with coconut filling, while we were lazing in the pool. INCREDIBLE. I've half a mind to write to them to ask to buy a box of them :)
We walked over to the fitness centre, which wasn't large but was well equip with machinery of all shapes and sizes, and decided to skip out on the Spa because of my room-mates intolerance to massages.
I loved that Capella provided a map of the grounds with suggested jogging routes and locations of special 'Singapore' trees within the hotel. It almost seemed like we could have been anywhere in the world (with the same heat and humidity..) with the semi-isolated feel of the hotel and the beautiful landscaping. Only two issues with the stay - first, it was a short but rather dark walk from the garden villas to the restaurant, perhaps a bit of lantern lighting would make it safer. Second, there were a few sand-flies bugging about, which reminded me of my school-days.. There aren't enough to even begin to spoil the trip, but I'd suggest bug-spray or insect repellant, especially if traveling with children and staying in the villas. I doubt there would be the same problem in the main hotel block. Capella also provides extra passes in and out of Sentosa and complimentary parking coupons.
Check out was a breeze too, and everyone was as polite as could be. Thanks Capella! It was expensive but it was worth it :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JumpJump
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this very lovely detailed review on Capella Singapore on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased to read about how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I believe your review sums up a great deal of what we offer and have in store for our guests – luxurious exclusivity with convenience and comfort.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our One Bedroom Garden Villa. The villas are absolutely perfect for those seeking tranquility and relaxation from the hustle and bustle of the city. I especially love the fact that they all feature their very own outdoor plunge pools!

With regards to you comment about lighting the path from the villas to the restaurants, it is definitely something we are looking into as the safety of our guests is a priority for us.

Once again, thank you for your words of praise. I hope you will be back to stay with us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
Marina Bay
Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands
#38 of 315 in Singapore

Been to Capella Singapore? Share your experiences!