“everything is excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capella Singapore

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
“everything is excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The location,facilities,entertainment,design and service were excellent in this hotel.Everyone in our family liked this vacation. My mom liked it because of really good spa, my sister liked it because of attractions on this island, to which you can get by free buses and I liked it because of the romantc atmosphere there. I felt there being myself as the island was very safe and you didn't have to watch your things very intently,like it was in Spain. We liked the people there.Their kindness!I am not exxaggerating!They are really helping people,not like in Europe, when everyone smiles at you and when you don't look at them they think that you are stupid. NO, in Singapore everyone is very kind. After going out of 4D Magix, we wanted to go to the MegaZip attraction, we didn't ask anyone and were staring at the map. Suddenly, shop worker cam out of the shop and asked us if we needed help and we asked him how to get there,I thought he would just say go straight then right,but he was so into it and left his shop and led us to the mountain very far from the shop and only when we said that we understood how to go there, he returned to his shop!The same thing was with one of the restaurant staff at Capella Hotel. When we asked her how to go to the beach, she led us to stairs until we sawthe beach and then returned back to resturant.All in all, our villa was amasing and I didn't want to leave that place and that happens to me very rarely.

Room Tip: Villas with swimming pools are very comfortable
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
sandyliw, Director of Sales & Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave this lovely review for us on Tripadvisor. I am thrilled to read about how you and your family had such a wonderful stay with us in Singapore at Capella Singapore and that not just our staff but our fellow locals were great hosts to you.

We do indeed have lovely luxurious villas and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy it all. Thank you again for your kind words and I hope to welcome you and your family back to Capella Singapore again soon!

Capella Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We celebrated our anniversary at the hotel. We were not particularly impressed with the room. View was not spectacular. The room came with the usual nespresso machine and Bose sound system. We had expected more from the hotel - no selection of pillows offered and toiletries were not exceptional (made in china spa scented). Beautiful infinity pool and nice colonial frontage though. Had to wait quite a while in the rain for the buggy to pick us up one raining evening. Breakfast selection was limited.

1 Thank MagicBerry
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on Tripadvisor. I am sad to hear that your stay was not quite up to your expectations. Our rooms are designed to provide the best comfort and luxurious experience for all our guests with the numerous facilities such as a complimentary mini bar and wifi. The Premier rooms and Suites all have stunning views of the South China Sea or tropical lush gardens. Our Villas on the other hand are designed to provide the utmost privacy and exclusivity for our guests.

We do actually have a pillow menu that can be requested from our housekeeping department. The complimentary toiletries in the room are from Abahna, an ultra luxury skin care line from the United Kingdom.

As for your comments on the buggy service and the breakfast selection, I greatly appreciate your feedback and I promise you that we are constantly taking measures to improve our services and offerings. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Capella Singapore again soon. I assure you that we will do our very best to meet and exceed your expectations.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We spent six nights in the Capella Hotel, attending a major corporate event. While the buildings and surroundings are very special, the overall experience was less satisfying than would have been expected, unless you know Singapore as well as we do. You see, we lived there for seven years, before the Capella was conceived. This made it hard for us to stay on Sentosa, knowing how far it is from the main Singapore attractions; shopping, shopping, shopping. Secondly, while the will is there to provide 5-star service, there is clearly a struggle getting the staff to actually execute on the promise.

First, the facility is truly special. The old English barracks have been refurbished to impeccable standards. They serve as a special core for a resort within a city. The meetings rooms were great and the common spaces served our event perfectly. We were luckily assigned to a villa. These are special rooms - large living room, bedroom and bathroom, with a dedicated swimming pool. The view is disappointing, mainly because the designer tried to fit in too many villas to allow each to look over those in front. The room itself was very well appointed with only minor issues. For example, it is a challenge to turn the knobs on the sink, particularly if your hands are wet. The lighting requires a Phd to operate so assume you will spend the first night with lights on until someone tells you how to operate the system. Finally, we needed some special help with the Internet, but this was handled professionally at 3am.

The biggest issue is internal transportation. The villas are too far to walk from the main lobby, so you are moved around by golf carts - when there are valets to drive them. The system is very unpredictable/unreliable. This requires guessing how long it will take for a cart to come, before you guess how long the taxi ride downtown will take (assume 30 minutes). Management clearly struggles with the cost of having permanent cart service versus using the front desk staff to come when they are available. At the price of these rooms, the guest should not be aware of this trade-off.

Little things make a difference when a resort is at this level. The workout facility is sadly under-designed and unmanned. The equipment is squeezed into a small room with TV's that worked intermittently. While we understand Asian guests may not find this an issue, foreigners will be disappointed if anyone comes thinking this is a "spa". Breakfast was expensive, and usually cold by the time it arrived. There is a gift shop that was never open when my wife tried to buy some things to bring home. Little things, but not up to a 5-star rating.

The highlight was the staff. Their attitude was positive and helpful. They saw our frustration with the little things and tried their best to smile and be pleasant.

The Capella is worth a visit - perhaps not six nights - but be prepared for some little challenges.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review for us on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you found our staff helpful and good hosts to you.

While we are situated on Sentosa Island, we are still very conveniently located near the major shopping malls and central business district which is only about a 10 minute drive away. Our rooms and villas are designed to provide the ultimate luxury and convenience for our guests with the complimentary mini bar and wifi as well as touch scene panels by the bedside that control the lights, air conditioning and blinds so that our guests need not have to move around the room to find all the switches.

I am sad to hear that the buggy service, gym and breakfast were not up to your expectations and we are continuously finding ways to improve and create that perfect experience for all our guests. Nevertheless thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope that you will still consider Capella Singapore for your next holiday stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We had the over the moon package inclusive of massage per night. The premier seaview room allow us to admire the sunset every second of it and wowing over the vast sea view. The spa facilities is really awesome, had a great time enjoying and relaxing in there. Masseur is very professional and skillful. PA is on the check always to make sure everything is ok. Love the breakfast, a variety of food spread and we get to order dishes out of the menu like egg benedict, pancakes, waffles. Housekeeping and in room dining staffs are very friendly and gave tip top service.
My boyfriend proposed to me our stay and the PA team did a great job in the decor and pickups. This really made our stay deeply memorable and enjoyed every moment!

Thank you for everything Capella!

We love to be back again!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Congratulations on your engagement! I am thrilled you and your fiancé would share this memorable moment with us.

Auriga spa is indeed a lovely place, living up to its awards and accolades and I am happy that you enjoyed breakfast at The Knolls and that all our staff were perfect hosts to you and your fiancé.

You are most welcome and we are more than happy to have been able to make this experience a unique and wonderful one for you. Thank you for your lovely review and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Capella on a recent holiday to Singapore. Beautiful colonial frontage, secluded in Sentosa. Rooms, whilst very luxurious, felt a little dated. We were in one of the sea view rooms, panaromic and spectacular scenery.
Facilities were good, nice pool area, and bar to have an afternoon drink. We thought the western restaurant was no particularly exciting, better options eleswhere in Sentosa.
Enjoyable stay, expensive but you're paying for exclusivity.

• 4 of 5 stars
sandyliw, Director of Sales & Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on Tripadvisor for us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. True to blending the rich colonial heritage of our façade with our modern architectural curves, our rooms were designed to provide that warm and homely yet luxurious feel with top notch technology for the convenience of all our guests.

I am sorry you didn’t find The Knolls to your liking. We have a lovely selection of authentic Mediterranean of dishes and the breakfast spread is one of the favourites of many of our guests. Perhaps on your next stay with us you would like to try our Sunday Brunch which presents a vibrant buffest selection of fresh seafood, succulent meats and delectable desserts.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was surprised with a stay at the capella for my birthday. We stayed in a constellation room for one night in September. The room was large and had floor to ceiling windows which provided a fantastic view back onto the city. The balcony also had a jacuzzi which overlooked the city and a complimentary soft drinks mini bar.

The hotel itself was architecturally very interesting, with really lovely landscaped gardens. The session at the spa was very nice and very relaxing, the facilities were excellent and one of the better spas i have been to.

The dinner and breakfast we had at the hotel restaurant, The Knolls, were very good, although the breakfast service was very chaotic and we were pretty much left to work it out ourselves, food selection and quality however were great.

The library, above reception has refreshments available throughout the day, this was free which was a nice touch.

Only negative, was that we thought we would have a drink at the bar before dinner, but most of the seats had been reserved for a function and the few that had not been reserved were already occupied.

I have rated the stay as average as a reflection of the cost of the stay, I did come away thinking that it was very expensive for what we got. If you take the cost of the stay out of the equation I would have rated the Capella 4 out of 5, based on comfort and stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us at Capella Singapore. I hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration here with us.

I am happy that you enjoyed all the facilities in the Constellation room and the hotel such as the award-winning Auriga spa, The Library and The Knolls. I do however apologise for your experience at Bob’s Bar. Bob’s Bar is a lovely place to unwind and relax and a favourite spot for many of our guests. Perhaps on your next visit you could give them a call to book a seat or alternatively our staff would be happy to arrange for you to relax and enjoy your drinks by the poolside which is just as lovely.

As for your concern about the cost, at Capella Singapore we are priced higher than the average hotel in Singapore as a reflection of the quality of service and experience that we strive to create for all our guests. We present each guest with personalised services, facilities and experiences. Nevertheless, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

It really is a lovely property; a great place to have afternoon tea on weekends, or just lounge around with cocktails from Bob's Bar on sun beds, day or night. And the service, as many others have written, is outstanding - certainly the best I've experienced in Singapore.

Now onto the Sea View room: the one which we were appointed had an amazing panoramic view of the sea, was generous in size, and had a wonderful bath and indoor sun bed (really, it's just not a getaway unless there's a sun bed).

Unfortunately, however, all the sea view rooms are situated above the hotel's pools, Bob's Bar and an area used for wedding ceremonies. And a surprising number of hotel guests were families with young children on the weekend we went. For the sea view room guest, this meant we were unable to enjoy the balcony without the sound of overexcited children. And even with doors closed, music and the mic from functions on both Friday and Saturday could be heard in the room. We ended up playing our own music to mask the noise one night and going out the other.

So I wouldn't recommend the sea view room to couples looking for a tranquil weekend getaway. But we did enjoy the property enough to attempt another stay in the future mid-week, when hopefully the property is quieter.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sentosa Island
4.0 of 5 stars 1,529 reviews
Resorts World Sentosa - Equarius Hotel
Resorts World Sentosa - Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
Resorts World Sentosa - Festive Hotel

Been to Capella Singapore? Share your experiences!