“Why does it deserves to be No 1 hotel in Sentosa?”
Review of Capella Singapore

Capella Singapore
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Nestled in the southern island of Singapore better known as Sentosa, lies the beautiful, colonial building style that is Capella. Without a doubt, a standard room here alone will set you back twice or more than you would pay for the same room in most hotels in the city centre. But with price, comes service and comfort.

Journey from the Singapore Changi Airport will probably take you at most 45min to reach. Bring your paper print-out so you don’t have to pay the additional $5 entrance fee if you are coming via cab/taxi.

Once your reached the hotel lobby, you will be greeted by extraordinarily courteous ‘personal assistants’(PA) that will usher you to sit down with an offering of a cup of cool drink before proceeding with the check-in. While one PA is busy proceeding with your check in, another approached me (I am seated) and kneeled to a position which placed her at a lower eye-level than me and began explaining how the PAs can be approached if I ever needed any assistance. Superb customer service!!!

Side note: Its sad to note that the more developed the country the lesser the standard of customer service thus I am extremely pleased that Capella maintains such high standard. This is not to say that I expect every customer service officer to kneel to me but a simple welcoming attitude and gesture do make guest feels welcome.

Then, I was ushered to my sea-view standard room and I was totally blown away
It has amazing view of the South China Sea, luxurious king bed, a large laze-around sofa, your own working desk and a simple fruit platter.
The balcony is accessible with a door at the side (lockable).
The mini-bar (all complimentary), and your large tv comes equipped with BoseTM sound system (which allows hooking up to your ipod/iphone) and Nespresso coffee making machine.

Next, comes the bathroom. It was meticulously designed in a way that evoke that spirit of romanticism (I know being romantic in the toilet can be a big eeew but not at Capella….). It has an awesome rainshower! Every hotel that is serious about offering great amenities in their bathroom MUST have a rain shower.

Another place within Capella that you have to visit will be the Library. Its a free access to guests similitude to the club facilities of most 5* hotel except for its more homey colonial settings which gives you that sense of relaxation.

They also have a SPA to ease all your tension away but expect to pay good money for good quality products here. But if these are not your thing, then you may soak (or swim) in one of their 3 available pools.
However, if you need to run by the beach or simply walk to clear off your head then all you need is walk a simple meandering path all the way to reach Palawan Beach.
From Palawan Beach, tram station is just in front of the gate, you can visit the entire Sentosa from here.

After a tiring day of sightseeing within Sentosa and you are all exhausted, its good to return to a serene and quiet place away from the noise of the day and simply rest in the comfort that is Capella.
And even if you are too lazy (or tired as it may be) , Capella has most controls all packed inside your side drawers for easy access to your blinds/curtains/lights.
Comparing similar amenities and customer service, in my opinion, without a doubt, Capella deserves to be the best hotel in Sentosa.

Vafirish
hoteltravelandreview

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Vafirish

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Had a 3D/2N staycation at Capella over the weekend. For the price you’d expect attention to details and they did. Bose sound system with 42’ flat screen, Nespresso machine and Gryphon gourmet teas, nice toiletries, comfy bed and bedding and bed side remote controlled blinds and curtains. The same thoughtfulness was applied to the other areas of the hotel, like towels at each tanning chair and once you’re seated, the staff provides water in an ice bucket for you automatically. Biscuits and cookies with coffee or tea at the library, water or isotonic drinks with dried or fresh fruit at the gym. The breakfast spread was also excellent with lots of varieties and the staff were friendly and pretty attentive.

But that’s where the praises stop. The food at The Knolls was best described as forgettable. It was good but nothing exceptional and for the price, I was expecting a little more wow factor. I tried their steak on one occasion and pan seared sea bass with risotto on another and both failed to impress me. Their service was also really, really slow. On one evening I decided to have early dinner so as to hit the gym later. I placed my order at 5.45pm and waited for my food for almost half an hour, and it took more than 10mins just to get my bill when I’m seated less than 10 paces from the cashier. Like seriously? The restaurant was almost empty as it wasn’t proper meal time. I also noticed that a few of the lifts/elevators smelt funky, as if they used them to transport garbage. There were also ants in the room and the water in the swimming pool looked murky, no idea why. And it’s these little inconsistencies that made me not give it a good rating.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank divermel
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Capella Hotel is a relatively new addition to the Singapore hotel scene, but has already carved out a niche for itself as a "resort hotel", of which it is surely the best in Singapore. Architecturally it is a n ultra-modern building grafted seamlessly onto a quaint and charmingly historical British military barracks, on a beautiful hill on a ridge in the middle of Sentosa Island. The melding of old and modern architecture has been done extraordinarily well, so that a visitor has a feeling of timeless luxury but with no modern convenience spared. The restaurants and the bar are excellent - and the view from the poolside bar of the forested hillsides and the sea beyond is really unusual. It is a great way to escape from the rush of the city and indeed from the Genting Singapore Casino complex at the other side of Sentosa.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed at Capella to celebrate my significant birthday. It was such a lovely destination. As long time Singapore residents we have enjoyed exploring our Island home by taking Staycations . We have stayed at Raffles, St Regis, MBS, The Fullerton Bay and Ritz Carlton and Capella was by far our favorite. Beautiful villa with every detail thought of, beautiful plunge pools with great views and surprisingly quiet. Staff were all friendly and helpful and even helped helped my husband arrange a surprise cake. .... The only down side was they were very uncomprising on a later check out, but I suppose you can't have it all !

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I checked into Capella for a one night staycation.
The room is amazing, spacious and luxurious.

The Ipod docking station and bose system is a wonderful touch.

The bed is really luxe and i had one of the best sleeps ever. ( Brand of mattress and bedding used please?? )

It was great to wake up to the view of the south china sea.

Whist walking around the compound, i spotted peacocks. It was lovely to have been around nature. :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
sandyliw, Director of Sales & Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave this wonderful review for us. You have very adequately summed up all the features that set us apart from other hotels – on top of that we have an automated touch screen panel that controls the lighting, blinds and air conditioning, as well as a spacious balcony to enjoy the spectacular views.

I am thrilled that you managed to catch a glimpse of some of Capella Singapore’s resident peacocks around the grounds. They spend a lot of time strolling our lush grounds, much to the delight of many guests, such as yourself.

As requested, the brand of the premium mattress and bedding used is Sealy Posturepedic® Palatial Crest UniCased XT and Rivolta Carmignan respectively.

I do hope you will be returning again soon and have more time to explore and enjoy all the services and facilities we have to offer, including our library which offers a place for guests to relax and enjoy a variety of snacks and beverages at no cost.

Best Regards
Sandy Liw
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at Capella over a weekend and found the ambience delightful. We spent the afternoon at the verandah sipping pearl of the orient tea. The staff were always at hand to serve and yet not intrusive, very professional.

The room had a beautiful view of the sea and we had a most spectacular sunset. The room was spacious and elegantly decorated, the bath has a view of the sea as well and one can soak away all the stress of city living.

I give Capella 6 stars

Room Tip: Ask for a nice seaview, they have villas as well which have private pool.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The experience with Capella was just excellent right from even before stepping into the hotel. The sales manager (Tom Lou) and Marketing Manager (Leanne Sim) that I was liaising with was responsive and flexible in helping me book my stay. 2 days before I checked in, a Personal Assistant called to ask if I had any special requests.

Once you arrive at Capella, you'll be surprised at how it is so peaceful and tranquil. A far cry from the bustling city which is actually just a few mins away. It feels like it's miles away though. The staff were all polite and respectful of your privacy.

We stayed in the One bedroom Garden Villa. The room was HUGE and came with an outdoor bath, outdoor shower, indoor shower and a private little pool just for chilling and maybe have some champagne. Even though we only stayed 1 night, (late check in and very late check out), we were totally relaxed. I liked the fact that the mini bar is complimentary and the bath products were of excellent quality.

I highly recommend anyone that is doing something extra special on that date (like me) or anyone with a little spare cash to come and experience a stay at Capella.

It's not something I'm going to do pretty regularly unfortunately but I will definitely be back to stay at Capella.

Great job with the service and paying attention to details, one good example is giving actual toothbrushes with real colgate toothbrush in. (not those cheap ones you find at all other hotels)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

We are thankful that you have taken time to share this very insightful review for us and for your kind recommendation. We are so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here with us, especially since you chose Capella Singapore to be part of the extra special occasion for you.

The pre-arrival call is an initiative by our Personal Assistants to help you plan your stay here in Singapore or to find out if there was anything you required to make your stay even more enjoyable. I am glad our staff were friendly and professional hosts during your stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in our One Bedroom Garden Villa. Nestled amidst 30-acres of our lush grounds and gardens, our One Bedroom Villas provide space and privacy and allow you the opportunity to get close to nature.

Being on Sentosa Island, we do offer a luxurious and peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city, however as you rightly noted, we are still conveniently within easy reach of to the city.

Thank you again for choosing Capella Singapore as the destination to spend your special holiday. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best Regards