“Lovely Staycation”
Review of Capella Singapore

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
“Lovely Staycation”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I celebrated my brithday with a night's stay at Capella's villa and I must say I am pleased with the professionalism of the staff as well as the beautiful lush greenry of the hotel. The check-in process was efficient and hassle-free - we were quickly bundled onto the buggy as soon as we finished the paperwork.

The seaview villa itself was very spacious. The amenities such as iPod docks, Bose sound system, integrated lighting/room panel controls were impressive. There was also free WIFI - the connection was fantastic during our stay, despite my earlier apprehension with hotel WIFI services which are sometimes unstable. As I had pre-dinner hungry pangs, we decided to order in-room dining, and the meal delivery was surprisingly fast!

In terms of value-added services, I thought that the complimentary high-tea spread of sandwiches, pastries and cakes in the quaint library setting was an excellent idea. Breakfast at the Knolls was enjoyable - the resturant was segregated by sections such that it appears very cosy and allows for more privacy.

Capella would be an excellent luxurious getaway for both couples and families, given its location and wonderful service. My hubby and I would like to thank Sandy from Capella for helping to make arrangements for our celebration and the wonderful personal touches provided.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bee-ee78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed in Capella about a month ago for my birthday. My best friend organized the entire weekend,so it was filled with surprises. My friends and I had a wonderful time at the Auriga Spa and it was well worth the money spent. I had the new moon package and it was wonderful. The room had "Happy Birthday" spelt out with rose petals and after the treatment they gave me a small yet delicious cake at the end with a candle to make a wish,which was all on the house. After that we had dinner,where the manager had made special name cards for me and my friends and the table had a different decoration scheme compared to the other tables at the restaurant. Here there was also another complimentary for me again. When we returned to the villa, my friend had coordinated with the personnel assistant to have confetti sprinkled around the room and there was "Happy Birthday" spelt out with confetti on my bed.

However the problems started when my friend requested for someone from the personnel assistants office to come down for a small favour which was to help us take a group picture. Since they were busy they sent a bell boy. He was in his 40's and we told him about our request. After which he replied in an angry tone"Sir,you have to be joking! We are very busy right now" That put all of us of. After which we told him to politely go back to his "busy schedule" and my friend immediately went to the main lobby to speak to the manager. I am not to sure what the exact conversation was but the manager said we could order food from the same restaurant for breakfast. Even the next day, when we ordered the food,the main lobby said there would be charges but we managed to sort the confusion. I felt really upset not because the bell boy just humiliated us and demeaned us but also his one action managed to ruin such a perfect day. There were a lot of confusion between the staff members regarding our free breakfast which gave us quite a headache from trying to deal with the confusion. Either way, the main flaw in Capella seems to be the service so be careful. Other than that you should have a wonderful time.

Room Tip: For villas, we had a secluded one which allowed us to make a lot of noise without disturbing anybody...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank aj91
sandyliw, Director of Sales & Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
First and foremost, happy belated birthday. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Capella and appreciated the birthday cake and surprises that our Personal Assistants and Housekeeping staff prepared for you. We are also grateful that you have taken the time to share your feedback with us, both good and bad, as it allows us the opportunity to improve.
As we pride ourselves on delivering stellar service, we are very disappointed to hear of the unfortunate incident with our bell desk. We found that our bell desk staff did apologized immediately after his inappropriate remark, but we do not tolerate unprofessional behavior, and as a result, disciplinary action was taken. We place our guests at the center of everything we do and hope you accept our sincere apology for this incident. Please feel confident that this was a first and last occurrence of this type, and hope we will be given the opportunity to prove ourselves to you on your next visit to Capella Singapore.

Warm Regards
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stay there 3 nights so we think it is really good hotel. The location is excellent the room is lean and airy. the service is good, everyone very friendly. The price is not expensive. We like it and will come back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CDhoo
new plymouth
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We had a four night stay here with our 4 year old son. I was expecting super luxury (for the price), and while it was very very nice I was a little underwhelmed. In saying this we did get a stay 4, pay 3 deal which I am glad of.

We had a garden villa and the outdoor private plunge pool was great. Room was very nice, all electronic blinds and lights (which I found more of a hindrance). Shower seemed to take an age to heat up which was a little annoying. The fully glass toilet was a little hard to get used to also! We arrived late from a flight at 10pm and it was a little disappointing our sons bed hadn't been made up. Service apart from this was fantastic though, and nothing was too much trouble. Fast and efficient check in /out.

Situated fairly close to Sentosa island attractions and along the bus route, although a bit of a hike up the long driveway in the heat once off the bus. You can also get direct access to the beach and walk along to get to the attractions (Universal etc), but again, a fair distance in the heat.

Swimming pools were nice, but not particularly well catered to children, a little boring.

Excellent food, and we had breakfast included in our room rate, buffet style with good selection of both Asian and Western cuisine. I pre arranged a private cooking lesson for my husband which he fully enjoyed. The chefs were fantastic.

Spa was excellent (pricey, but no more than what I expected for a 5+ star).

Upon reflection I would probably try somewhere a little more catered to children next time. A lovely place for a luxury quiet break though.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank coleenaperi1
sandyliw, Director of Sales at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Capella, and appreciated hearing comments like "fantastic service, fast and efficient check in/out, fantastic chefs, and excellent spa". As you discovered, we are strategically located close to Sentosa attractions, and of course a walk away from the Universal Studios. I am sure your children must have enjoyed every minute of their adventure. Once again, thank you very much for all your wonderful accolades, we hope to see you soon.

Warm Regards
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is my 3rd visit and each time we experience something different...we got ourselves a Sentosa Suite this visit, a very impressive suite with lots of space for kid to run about.This room offers an awesome seaview and provided a restful vacation for those stressed out... The services provided by the hotel were consistently good, we felt this on our first 2 visits and nothing less on this count. The Library (a lounge for inhouse guests) is a great place to unwind, we love the cosyness and the relaxed ambience, unlike some "hotel club lounge" which tend to be a little intimidating especially when we have kids... over at the Library, we are made to feel so at home, we enjoyed every moment of it.. As it was also my birthday, the hotel were thoughtful enough to even sent to my room, while we were out, a birthday cake..such attention to detail is what differentiate them to many other resorts in Sentosa. We also spent an evening at Cassia, their Chinese Restaurant, again, we were not dissapointed, services were great and food were good as expected.We spend 3 nights in the resort and thought why bother going elsewhere, when we have such a fine gem back home...will be back again for sure.

Room Tip: I was given a room on the lobby level which suits us well as I have young child..so having easy acce...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
We are pleased to learn that you had a restful vacation during your recent stay with us, and are also very delighted to hear that you experienced consistently good service from all our colleagues. Our service professionals at Capella always place our guests at the center of everything we do. Thank you for your valuable feedback; it was most encouraging.

We wish you a Happy Belated Birthday, and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us.

Best Regards
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Check in: smooth and hassle-free with warm n welcoming staff
Car: when we arrived, the staff was suggesting valet and it cost $18. We relented as kids slept n we have a number of luggages. But it totally caught us by surprise as hotel told us that parking is complimentary previously.valet should be complimentary too.
Villa: we stayed at villa 7 with my 6yo n 2yo. they love it. The set up, the spacious indoor n outdoor showers, the sundeck chairs, the huge tvs -gorgeous! Just 1 comment, both my husband and I felt that the bed was too soft. another negative point is, the fridge was never cold.it was just slightly chilled. The maintenance folks came twice, attempting to fix but to no avail.also, mini bar is supposedly foc but there were only 4types of beverages, including mineral water.when we requested for top ups, the housekeeping staff were always telling us that therez only 2 bottles each with them.seriously, if you wanna offer free mini bar-do it generously.how much can we drink? The moment you restrict it with such "limitations", guests won't feel too happy. Of course, in general, we can't deny that it was a good gesture to offer free mini bar.
Personal assistant: like a previous comment from another traveller, there is no "such a person".basically noone will contact you for your personal needs.there is just this special button on the phone together with the rest of the concierge, housekeeping etc.you can still dial..nevertheless, the services were always prompt.
Library: we were informed that there is this place called library where there is all-day- dining.Do not be fooled! Only from 2-5pm, they served sandwiches. Any other times, there's only
sweets like macaroons.
Overall, the hotel is well maintained (no ants), noise pzartition is fantastic and service is almost immaculate.this is the 4th resort/hotel we had staycation in sentosa over the past 2-3 years. By far, it is the best.i will definitely go back there again-without the kids. Only then will both my husband and I be able to spend quality couple time in this little gem.thanks.

• Stayed September 2011
sandyliw, Director of Sales and Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
China
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Overall, this was an excellent three day stay. Very good service, the one bedroom villa was very well fitted out . Awesome spa, well kitted out. Nice pools, reasonable breakfast, nothing too amazing here. We went out for dinners. Very friendly Spanish head chef. Only thing to complain about was the lukewarm shower......according to the Concierge...."because our property is so large, sometimees the hot water in the villa takes between 5-15 minutes to warm up".......I was thinking of the Aman's and Banyan Trees I have stayed in , large properties, very hot showers. Sure enough, the next day , after wasting just 15 minutes of water straight down the drain..........the shower got hot........so I guess patience is a virtue.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
sandyliw, Director of Sales at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and felt encouraged by your positive comments towards our Spanshi Chef, Cristia Nou Picart. We have taken note that the water in the shower for this villa required additional time to reach temperature, and we have reviewed this with our engineering team for further investigation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore.

Best Regards