“Great value”

Ranked #39 of 217 Hotels in Cebu Island
London
“Great value”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed in a Deluxe room for one night (P1100; £16). It was exactly what we expected and whilst nothing special, was the cheapest room we stayed in over 3 weeks in the Philippines. There was plenty of hot water and a good size shower. The bed was very big and the whole place was very clean. Overall, this is a good, basic accommodation and very good value.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fieldsendchris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cbs
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I'm a filipino who married to a European guy. My husband and I were coming to Cebu for a short visit and I tried to booked a stay in kiwi lodge since I have read a good reviews about it and was recommended by a friend who is their regular guest but I did not realize that filipinos are not welcome! I booked online stating on the form that my nationality is a filipino, I got a reply from "MERLYN" saying SORRY but we are fully booked this coming .......! but when my husband booked since he got a reply in a split second with a confirmation. I'm so disgusted and sad that my fellow people treat me this way :-( and for the record they should put in their website a big sign saying "locals not welcome"

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Phanu2
new zealand
Reviewed March 22, 2009

enjoyed my stay amongst the expat old farts, they do seem to keep to themselves, but what the heck!! room nice and tidy but boy I would really like to take them flags down in the bar and give them all a good clean and why your at it, a bit of a dust around the bar might help too. apart from the dusty expats and bar, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank chas13
ENGLAND
Reviewed December 28, 2008

I must admit i had that trepadation, strange country,hotel,language and of course the peso! hey!! you get to kiwi lodge and are wellcomed very warmely, regisister after your first beer while your luggage makes it way to your room. A good mix of English.Austrailians, european and of course kiwi;s. great food ,service at all times and safe. if you happen to have a problem ,it will be resolved instantly. Yours a satisfeid customer ,who left knowing more friends than before i went there.

• Liked — VERY TRAVELLER FRIENDLY
  • Disliked — THE BAR SHUTS AT 11.00PM
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank BANDIT28England
Cebu City
Reviewed December 11, 2008

I stayed at the Kiwi Lodge for three weeks and had a very positive experience. I'm writing this review because I read a previous review suggesting that americans are not welcome at the Kiwi Lodge and I wanted to say that I am an american and I found everyone there to be very hospitable. The rooms are an excellent value, they have 24 hour security, free wireless internet, and a safe in the office to keep passports and valuables. Of course an in-room safe would be more convenient but I found their security to be very good. The food is a favorite with local expats and many eat there regularly. They serve breakfast all day which is great if you had a late night. It's centrally located between the two biggest malls (SM and Ayala) but Cebu City is small so most things are a short cab ride. For me, the best thing about the Kiwi Lodge is that the bar is a great source of information and opinions from expats that live in cebu city.

• Liked — Good mix of expats hang out at the bar
  • Disliked — can't think of anything I didn't like
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank karl_nadherny
thailand
Reviewed November 14, 2007

One possitive thing, esp in Phillipines, is that my stuff was always safe in the room. At first I felt comfortable there, but I clearly was not one of the guys at the bar (retired blue colar Kiwi and Ausie expats). At some point, I was treated very coldly. It even became clear to me that even the staff was probably instructed to make me feel unwelcomed....otherwise they'd get in trouble for being less than kind.
He's running both a full on bar downstairs and a guesthouse. Sometimes I wasn't sure which was the higher priority.
It had also been suggested to me that there is descrimination toward Americans, so maybe that's what I felt?
The place is also located in an area where you will need to take taxis in and out, for the most part.
That said, you'll probably be fine for a few days. More than that, and you'd want to be "one of the gang" at the bar, or you may not feel so comfortable.

Stayed June 2007
6 Thank peacefulworrior
england
Reviewed August 27, 2007

good value for money, always somebody to chat to in bar area, all the staff efficient and friendly. good location close to both ayala and sm malls, have used the kiwi on several occasions and would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family