“Small bed and breakfast”
Review of Las Flores

Las Flores
Ranked #53 of 218 Hotels in Cebu Island
San Diego
“Small bed and breakfast”
Reviewed December 8, 2008

As a vacation resort that is advertised as secluded I was dissapointed to learn that it isn't secluded in a good way. This small bed and breakfast is located an hour and a half away from Mactan Island. Speaking of the drive it was non stop traffic with poor views of the island, hardly the long and scenic drive one might expect to find seclusion. I can't express how dissapointed I was when the taxi stopped in the middle of this small town in the middle of everything. The bed and breakfast is nestled in the middle of a small province. If you are dreaming of seclusion, this isn't the place you are dreaming of. You won't feel any further away from anything than you do at the Hilton Cebu or Shangrila on Mactan. The only thing it is secluded from is the airport. The bed and breakfast is not much more than a large house. The room was quoted as a King bed, it was a queen. The bathroom knob failed, locking me in the bathroom. The shower is neat but leaves you holding the shower wand with one hand and washing with the other, sound relaxing?

When choosing a resort on Cebu know what you want and know what you are getting. We wanted georgious views of the water and mountains. We got black polluted water with trash floating about and a limited peripheral view of the ocean. The beach was full of sharp rocks and shells. There are adjoining properties to the left and right that certainly take away from the secluded feeling. You may be able to walk down the beach five miles, but, you wouldn't want to. The morning after our first night there was a small child relieving himself on the beach, no. 2.

I wanted a five star resort with full facilities. I got a three star Bed and breakfast with very little to do. I based my expectations on the full five star reviews that other people had bestowed upon the property. If you are a business class, world traveler and enjoy five star hotels and secluded beach resorts, you might not like this property. Just understand that the property is an hour and a half away from the airport, this does not buy you exclusivity or seclusion. You are just as close to the madness of everyday life here as you are in Mactan island at the Hilton or the Shangrila.

Hopefully if you have read this review you will at least know what you are getting. I felt as though the previous reviews and the description of the property on their website were somewhat disingenuinous.

The few things that I did like were the one on one customer service, we were the only guests at the moment, and the friendly staff. They were very nice and couldn't have been more accommodating. The food was good, at least what we ate. The pina colada wasn't good and perhaps wasn't a pina colada at all.

I just wish someone had written a more honest review before I got here. Like I said, just know what you want and know what you are getting. There are many beautiful things to do and see in Cebu, but, don't believe that you have to travel and hour and a half out of the city to see them.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Distance from city didn't get my any further away from the madness.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank SanDiegoMaverick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Columbia, TN USA
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I stayed at this lovely, peaceful hotel for 2 nights to recover from jet lag of a 27 hour flight(s). I was so lucky to finally discover it on the internet via Expedia I believe. It was the two best days of my Philippine trip that lasted 8 days. The hotel had a bed and breakfast atmosphere to it, so relaxing with peaceful surroundings and really a laid back feeling that I took advantage of. Just the perfect place to go to recover from a very long flight. The room was so very comfortable, so very clean, and gave me a feeling of really not wanting to leave this wonderful place! The staff was friendly, well trained, young but professional in both demeanor and skills. The staff was also always helpful, courteous, wiling to talk to me and went the extra step to ensure that my stay as well as others, was their first concern from the moment I arrived. When I arrived -later than expected, I was met at the taxi side by the staff on duty and presented with a beautiful and delicious mango shake. They must have read my mind because that is just what I wanted! The food was excellent at each meal and always presented with such care. I was impressed at the taste of the smoked ham, as I come from the smoked ham region of the USA! It was as good tasting as any I've had here in the USA, and better than most! Also in the bedroom was a remote control for the thermostat which I thought was very convenient. The entire grounds of the hotel was rather average size such as a private home but I was not there to hike around and feel lost in a huge hotel. It helped make me feel right at home in the country setting by the water. It was an overall excellent place to stay and I would stay there again if I have the opportunity to do so. Virginia, Ian and staff really know how to conduct hospitality to their guests, and make a stay there an unforgettable experience.

• Liked — peaceful atmosphere
  • Disliked — the bathtub was higher than usual, it could use a step down for safety
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank mayport64
London UK
Reviewed November 19, 2008

My stay at LasFlores was wonderful and relaxing, the staff are great and Jen her mother and i had a great time.
I was only going to stay for 1 night but end up staying for 3 nights, wished i had more time there.
The food is great and the staff are wonderful .........thanks again to Ian and his lovely wife for making us feel at home :-) ............... Peter Jen & Mom

• Liked — The clean rooms and great service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank philippines2008
cebu
Reviewed November 2, 2008

las flores was introduced to me by a relative few weeks ago..we went there just to ckeck the place and we ended up staying for the night..they have spacious rooms with great beds, matresses, and linens.. nothing compares to their bathroom..would you believe having full-sized bath tubs with telephone shower in a hotel far north of cebu? the place is so quiet which makes it suitable for relaxation.. the foods yummy.. and service was undeniably superb.. the privacy and comfort is what makes this place a great place to stay..

• Liked — everyhting
  • Disliked — nothing

*romantic
*good views
*about 45 min from Cebu
*good food

I stayed at Las Flores with my extremely pregnant fiance during the end of September 2008.

From getting picked up at the Cebu airport to finally (and unfortunately) leaving after 4 wonderful days we were treated like special guests. It is more like a family run mansion , with only a few rooms and you always seem (and are treated) like you are the only ones there. The food is good but the service is fantastic. The owners Ian and Vergie are very welcoming and friendly and really help to make this a really special retreat - away from Cebu City. The resort is very asthetically appealing, with lots of little touches that help it feel like a home away from home.

I have traveled the Philippines extensively and to be honest the accommodation is usually a bit disappointing or overpriced (sometimes both) - I'm sure a lot of foriegn travellers would agree. At Las Flores you get value for money and the service is the best I have experienced in the Philippines.

I would recommend this for a romantic getaway. It is great for spending lots of time with your partner and enjoying the ocean from your balcony or the terrace restaurant. So relaxing, I wish I was there now!

• Liked — It was like staying in a mansion with friends, plus the service was great.
  • Disliked — Im not sure what you can do for activities around there (it is about 45 mins out of Cebu), we were content to just laze around the resort.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank simples
philippines
Reviewed October 6, 2008

LAS FLORES..a perfect and peaceful getaway paradise!

After attending a wedding celebration in metro cebu,my friends and I decided to give ourselves a break from an exhausting city life and celebrate my birthday in a place where we can enjoy each other's company. I came to know about this place from a friend so I decided to bring my friends over to this place called LAS FLORES. Much to our delight,we found the place remarkably clean and peaceful..a perfect getaway for us. Food was great and sumptuous, rooms were immaculately clean and smelled nice and fresh(like flowers).Staff was courteous and the owners made it a point that our needs were well attended. The ambience was quite "homey" I would say and relaxing. My friends were quite impressed with the place so we decided that we visit the place again sometime. The memories will forever stay in our hearts.

• Liked — peaceful and clean
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Cebu
Reviewed August 18, 2008

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at this beautiful hotel in northern Cebu.The rooms are spotless and spacious, with a country manor house feel.

The food is really delicious with a comprehensive menu to choose from, with a helpful and friendly staff to serve you. I was fishing on their private jetty and was set up with all my comforts,chair,sun brolly and cold beer served by an attentive waitress.,I even caught fish!!
On our latest visit I was celebrating my birthday and nothing was
too much trouble for for Ian & Virginia Gilles who are indeed the most gracious hosts.
I have been a member of Trip Advisor for about 3 years and this is the first time I have ever written a review.I am retired and my wife and I have done a lot of travelling in the Philippines,Hong Kong,Thailand,Burma,and Vietnam. During our visits to these countries we have stayed in some good Hotels,but "Las Flores" is simply the best.
Jean & Richie Peyton

• Liked — The food & wine and service
  • Disliked — nothing