“Lush tropical hide away for peace and relaxation”

Alegre Beach Resort
Ranked #68 of 220 Hotels in Cebu Island
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Manila based British ex-pat spent 4 nights with wife and toddler (and nanny) June 2009.

Hotel has its own greeting area inside airport. Transfer good, new vans with sensible drivers and takes around 90mins.

Hotel is set in very lush grounds arranged in U shape on cliff with a beach at the base inside the U. This works well as it allows for very good views from high up public areas and rooms while making access to the beach very cosy and more dramatic than a flat vista. Beach is big, clean and quiet. Water very clear with tons of fish used to being hand fed on left over bread.

Rooms are very nice with splendid bathrooms. They are clean and well finished but retain a tropical look due to faux nipa roofs and clever landscaping.

Staff are excellent and make you very warmly and genuinely welcome as is true of most Philippines resorts. Food is average and frankly what I’d expect for provincial hotel but at least it’s reasonably priced. It’s best to order something they’re good at - Lapu lapu with Jackfruit is very good, sausage and French fries is good, spare ribs are not good. The kitchen staff were kind enough to bake a cake for my wife's birthday which was very nice.

Pool area is very attractive and the pool itself is very large and around 4-5ft deep throughout with a separate large baby pool. Didn’t try the dive shop. Spa was fine. Physical layout of the place means you need to able to walk up and down quite a few stairs so if you’re physically impaired or terminally lazy think again.

We chose this place as alternative to a suite at the Shang which we did last time we were in Cebu. If you are looking for a tropical hideaway for peace and quiet to romance/read books/spa/dive/beach this place does it very well – stay here. If you like more people around, are a serious gourmand and happy to spend significantly more money then the Shang is for you.

Do check out the pics we posted they will give you a good idea of what it's like.

Hope that helps and happy holiday to you.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank talk2mrjones
There are newer reviews for Alegre Beach Resort

Reviewed May 25, 2009

The title says all I want in a vacation place and Alegre delivers. The view, the beach, the room and the compact grounds are all great and the staff are polite and friendly. I stayed during off season this time and one disadvantage of this is not always having a breakfast buffet. Even with many visitors however I doubt if the peacefulness of this resort would satisfy party animals, or shoppers. But if you're just into water sports or relaxing with some in-resort walking about, I recommend Alegre. Maybe next time I'll return with companions and go island-hopping and bird-watching. The extra costs for these need splitting.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank wkendwriter
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We just returned from two stunning weeks at Alegre with our four year old and our seventeen year old daughters. Our trip was nothing short of amazing. The resort is immacultely maintained and the customer service is outstanding. We were greeted by every member of the staff with smiling faces and a warm "good morning" daily. The resort itself is in pristine condition. The gardens and beach views are to die for; the views are right out of a post card. While the resort is isolated, there is still plenty to do. My husband went scuba diving daily; we took boat trips to other islands, snorkled, spent hours in the pool and ocean, enjoyed facials at the spa, and basically just relaxed for two weeks. I nearly cried when we had to leave. We spent a day in Cebu City and visited Shangri La, which I found very crowded and noisy. For a relaxing vacation in peaceful surroudings, you can't beat Alegre. We had no complaints whatsoever (other than the high price of items at the gift shop, but that's to be expected) and would go again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Pinaygirlsmom
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Spent a few blissful days here, pay no attention to the negative reviewers. Rooms are very comfortable, clean and fit in well with the surroundings. Staff were always attentive. Swimming pool is nice and big, food was mostly good. There is not a lot to do, except for lazing around the beach and the pool which is why we picked it. There are tours and watersports if you are interested. On our visit the resort was quiet which helped, although the area is so big i think even if it was full you could still find a quiet corner to yourself. If you have to choose between the resorts in Cebu city and this one try here first, you definitely feel you are away from it all.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank duncinmanila
Reviewed April 29, 2009

my fiancee and I searched for nice resorts and we went to alegre to have a nice time together... It was like 4 hours drive from my place to the resort but its worth it... when we got there it was very nice and peaceful... its really good for newly weds or families that likes to relax without big crowds. It feels like you are in paradise. I love it in the night where you walk at the ground with the trees around its really nice natures there. very romantic with a dim light only... there pool is big, the rooms are bungalow style very relaxing and the comfort room very clean... You can go for a massage and everything you want to do..... the price is high but its worth it..... and people.. when you say 5 star dont expect for a cheap price... i cant say anything bad in this resort evrything is great!!!!! have a nice time.....

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gwapz
Reviewed April 24, 2009

My husband and I spent 5 days in the resort. Before going, i did not expect doing much there, just reading books and relaxing. But it turns out to be quite a lot to do.

First I was upgraded to an ocean view room with a garden. It is one of the best rooms in the resort. Only sitting in the balcony or on the lawn reading makes you feel the life is ever so wonderful.

Second I went to have 3 dives this time. It was the first time I went diving after getting the diving licence. Af the beginning, I just wanted to dive at the house reef which is just 1 or 2 minutes' boat ride from the pier of the resort. I was very nervous but the dive master took good care of me and there were really different kinds of coral. The next day, we sailed to Capitancillo Islet to have another 2 dives. My husband and I were served by 5 people from the resort. One was the chef who prepared barbecue lunch for us on the islet. The water there was very clear and again a lot of coral.

Third the comlimentary cruise to watch dolphins. We could see a lot that day.

Fourth the massages were good.

Fifth the swimming pool was quite and the water was warm. I like it.

But I think the resort might have to think more about the food. I do agree with the preview review that the tuna steak was awful, just like rubber. The other food I tried was quite OK. However, there is not a great choice of food, especially seafood.

The staff are friendly and they know who you are. The room I had was very good. If you are looking for nightlife, this resort is not the right choice. If you like sea sports, it is certainly your pick.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TWHK
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed the first time at the Alegre in September 2007 and loved it, thus we came back.
We loved:
- the rooms, big and absolutely lovely
- the beach, nice and easy to snorkel from
- the Spa, very good massages
- the dive shop, great and helpful staff - went to great lengths to arrange dive trips for us
We disliked:
- the food: It used to be very good when we were there the first time - that changed completely. Beef tenderloin was not remotely tender, it was overcooked and unedible, the same goes for the tuna steak (What a shame that was!!) and the lapu lapu. When talking to the chef and returning the food, he told me that this is normal with fish like that..... Anybody who overcooks fish and steak like this should not be called a chef.
- the service: Most of the stuff were trainees without proper supervision. They did not know the menu and were not able to tell us which wine is actually available - we got this information only after we finished our dinner! They did not know the content of the menu and mixed up the orders - it took 45 minutes to get a cocktail from the bar.
Considering the prices the Alegre charges the food and the service - especially at dinner time - are absolutely unacceptable. The goal seemed to be to hook everybody onto the dinner buffet in order to provide as little service as possible.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple