“Great and relaxing stay”

Alegre Beach Resort
Ranked #67 of 212 Hotels in Cebu Island
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great and relaxing stay”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Alegre a couple nights the first week in Oct. It was great overall with a few minor things, and since I read all of the reviews before going, I thought I should share our experience.

Airport transfer - It was great and smooth! My only critique is that I emailed the resort to set up the transfer a day or so before departure and they never replied to my email, so I was nervous that no one would be there. But sure enough we had a ride and it was great, our driver even made a stop for us so we could pick up a drink and some sunscreen since we forgot to pack ours.

Resort overall - Really beautiful, the grounds are great with lovely flower displays all around.

Rooms - really nice and plenty of space, and the bathrooms were nice and large. My only critique here is that we requested a King room and got a room with 2 Doubles and our AC was kinda noisy, but all of that was easily forgotten when we were relaxing on the beach

Beach - It's good, lots of loungers and you never have to compete for a chair. There is a stunning large magnolia tree growing on the beach that is great for shade. The beach is a bit rocky, you have to be careful going in. But this means that its nice snorkeling right off the beach. They have gear there you can use and we just went out on our own right off the beach, but we saw other guests that were really into snorkeling go out with a staff member past the ropes to see more.

Food - Better than expected! Everything we had was great! Only downside was the main restaurant area was closed for construction during our stay. On the upside looks like it will be quite lovely for future guests.

I'd go back in a heartbeat and wish we had stayed longer, as we left here and went to the Crimson Resort on Mactan - Horrible, what a huge mistake, we were wishing we were back at Alegre the entire time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

First the good: Big, well kitted out rooms and lovely setting only a couple of minutes walk to a beautiful beach if you can get one of the sea view rooms. The stretch of white-sanded beach is about 400m wide and there was plenty of space / loungers at the time we where there, there is also a little beach bar providing a good selection of drinks both soft and alcoholic. The facilities are pretty good for a hotel of its class, decent gym and adequate play / kids area with table football, board games and book library for those frequent SE Asian downpours. Service was very good and we were very impressed by the attentiveness of most of the staff from the moment we arrived. Nice pool although could have done with a more regular scooping out of leaves etc… Unfortunately the shine was taken off of our 6 day stay by the food. I know this is a fairly common grumble with parts of the Philippines but we really struggled with the quality and selection choice here – particularly with a 3 year old. Most of the main meals seemed to be swamped in the same ‘tomato’ sauce and there was a basic lack of care taken in the majority of the food preparation / presentation. We were trying to eat healthily and ended up with pizza for lunch and dinner most days and even that was average at best. The breakfast buffet was even worse, it seemed to consist of whatever was left over from the day before and there were a LOT of flies in the dining hall with no effort being made to keep them away from the food. We were very annoyed by the sight of the German ‘head chef’ wandering around the dining hall looking immensely proud of the food he was providing whilst we struggled to eat it. Ive seen reviews where people have given the food here 5-stars but I can honestly say that if you have experienced ‘5-star’ rated food in the past, you would struggle to give this more than 1 star. For this reason we wouldn’t stay again as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. Should they sort the food out or if there were other local options nearby we would be back like a shot.

Room Tip: Sea view or you may have a LONG walk to the beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at Alegre Beach Report for 6 wonderful nights from March 17 to 23, 2013. The staff was wonderful, efficient, friendly and courteous. Beaches were great and food was very good. Pool was good however some of the caveats are: Pool bottom was slimy. Brought it to their attention and they addressed it immediately. Dining room though nice and modern was not adequately air-conditioned. Brought it to their attention but the problem was not addressed. Also dining area outside though beautiful had not overhead fans to cool things off. Also they could use more lights at night over the outdoor dining area. NOTE TO MANAGEMENT: Staff is your greatest asset and should be treated accordingly.

Planning to come back for a longer period.

Room Tip: Insist on room away from children and request no children be placed next to your room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this quaint and remote resort. It is perfection. Aside, from the remodeling and rehabbing of the resort my family of 3 had a wonderful stay here. The staff were attentive, friendly, and accommodating. I thought this place was overpriced (we payed $148.70 a night for 3 nights and 4 days) for the price but it is worth it trust me! They have a private beach, a spa, a restaurant which extends it's services n their private beach, a fitness center. We did so much here in the 4 days we stayed. We snorkeled, swam in the pool, went into town (for just 250 Philippine Pesos each way). I didn't even mind the overpriced breakfast and the far walk from our Cabana to the reception area as it is peaceful, scenic, quite, and beautiful. Alegre Resort far exceeded my expectations. 5 stars!!

Room Tip: Bargain with the motorized tricycle drivers if you plan to go outside of the resort. They will give...
2 Thank applesomoza
Lincolnshire, Illinois
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a solid 4 star resort that could be 5 star some day. The location is an hour and a half from Cebu airport. I used their shuttle for 2,500 Php. The resort is very private, and is situated up on small cliffside. Be ready to climb stairs to get to the beach - my legs got a big workout this weekend. I didn't see any accommodations for those with limited mobility or wheelchairs. What makes this place great: the staff are amazingly friendly and helpful (they really work hard) and the huge private beach with their own protected reef with amazing fish to see when snorkeling. Thefood was 4 star: not gourmet, but more than just Good. One thing that I found odd: there is no information in the rooms or given at check-in about the extra services they offer. It would be nice to have a sheet with trips (I found out at the end of my stay that they had island hopping) and other services (tennis courts, basketball courts, gym, equipment rental, etc). Not everyone comes with a laptop to view that information. Prices are a bit on the high side (buffet breakfast 750Php, Lunch 800, mixed drinks 250 - 350). They have undergone some recent rennovations. The main restaurant is really nice. Next is the clubhouse I'm told. The rooms are spacious - as is the large bathroom. I agree that they need new TV's and stocked mini-bars to bring the rooms up to 4 star. SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE NEW MANAGEMENT: Your amazing staff are feeling a bit underappreciated. Don't lose your most important asset. Overall - I will return. There are only a few resorts like this in the Philippines. With some minor adjustments, this place can be a 4.5 star or better.

Room Tip: Lower numbered cabanas have some ocean views and are closer to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank pws62
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for one week at Alegre in March. This was our second trip to Alegre. After looking at many resorts in Asia, we decided to return because the staff were so lovely our first visit. They make you feel genuinely welcome and their friendliness is infectious. You can't help but walk around with a smile here!

The grounds are beautiful and the house reef is incredible. The food is out of this world and reasonably priced compared to other resorts.

As another reviewer mentioned, the rooms and facilities (ie, gym) are desperately in need of an upgrade, but the staff make up for that.

The staff knew our names and they remember the little things that we like even before we need to order (ie, mango shakes for the kids and my husbands specific coffee recipe). We would especially like to mention many people but we apologize in advance for the staff whose names we don't know : the dining, chef, bar-tending staff ( always smiling-Sansen (who suggested local dishes not on the menu), Lamuel, Ed, Ross Vincent, John (congratulations on your wedding) , Rolden "the best chef in the world" according to my husband and two sons, Norlan, Serlyn, Marvin, Ali, Jubeth, July, Elsie, Estela, Chris C., Gilbert, Vincent, and Demar) , the housekeeping staff ( Adete ++ ) , all of the groundskeepers in orange shirts ( Momar and Ricardo) , the dive staff (Lou who tirelessly took us out in the boat to snorkel, Gerry), and Ben the head chef who is a gracious host, and even the OJTs who brought us ice water at the tennis court.

We are already planning on next visit to Alegre. Selamat Alegre staff for making our vacation so memorable!

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I went with my sister last March 19 for a 2-night stay in Alegre Beach Resort. At first, we were not sure if it was the right choice since it is a 2-hour drive from the city center. The drive was a bit long but it was well worth it in the end. The exclusive beach was all-in-all a perfect hideaway from the busy city. The white sandy beach was immaculate and there was not much people when we came. The rooms were spacious and tidy. The staff accommodating and friendly. The food in the resort was great especially the breakfast buffet but better bring light snacks& extra water since there are no nearby malls/stores though they do have a small souvenir shop which sells food, drinks, and various items. Overall it was a good experience and we could definitely go back.

1 Thank sunny c