“Hidden Gem on Cebu”

Alegre Beach Resort
Ranked #67 of 221 Hotels in Cebu Island
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our experience at Alegre was unexpectedly delightful. The staff were absolutely superb - friendly but not intrusive, great attention to detail and accommodating to any request.

The beaches are lovely for swimming and snorkeling - diving is also meant to be superb. You can dine on the beach or in a private gazebo, under the stars with your feet in the sand and have a BBQ cooked for you or order from the menu and cocktails from the cabana.

Room Tip: request a room overlooking the ocean for gorgeous views from your balcony and bed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AmandaD_HongKong

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The room was very nice. It was half a palm thatched villa with air conditioning, sattelite dish, and a beautiful bathroom. Service was a phone call away, ready and always satisfying. We did not want for anything. The reef was fantastic. It has been a sanctuary for over 20 years.

We went in the off season (Sept/Oct). The weather was wonderful. It rained for a few hours one day. It made it nice to relax under cover. We had the beach to ourselves much of the time. Have dinner on the beach for a wonderful experience.

Tiger Air through Seair in Manila was inexpensive and impressive with their new Airbus planes. The car ride from Cebu city was long (about two hours) but comfortable and gave the chance to see the local lifestyle along the way.

We can't wait to return with friends and family. Prices were surprisingly affordable. We will stay here over Boracay or Bohol every time.

Room Tip: All the rooms were great. A few had views of the Sea. It was easy enough to walk down to the beach a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gregg L
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great food, great staff, great rooms, great beach, great facilities, indeed it's a 5 star resort, our family was very satisfied with our stay in alegre. My teens are very happy because of the wifi connection wherever we are in the resort. Love it, love it so much. The employees are so friendly. The portion of the food are big, and they informed us in advance, great staff, so we didn't have left over, really just enough for us. My children love it so much their baby back ribs, super delicious.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank milyvels
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed for one night and we loved it. We paid more than we're usually accustomed to, but it was all worth it---from the time the shuttle picked us up in Cebu City to the time we checked out.

PROS:
They have free shuttle service, which is excellent since they're around 2 hours away from Cebu. I found a kit in the shuttle that had some toiletries like lotion, loose powder, and tissues. I thought that was a nice touch. :)

We arrived earlier than the check in time, so we decided to order lunch at their restaurant with a majestic view of the sparking ocean. We were so lucky the weather was immaculate. Anyway, food arrived and I had one of the best appetizers I've ever had. I forgot the name of the dish, but ask for the herb-topped cheese with olive oil.

Welcome drinks when we got there, and I really liked the reception area--dark wood, flowers and ponds all around. The room we booked was a 5-minute walk from the reception area, but we didn't mind since the room was nice, anyway. My boyfriend loved the tub and the bath salts. I loved jumping up and down like a kid on the really bouncy bed. The bathroom was quite luxurious, with it's his-and-hers sinks, separate toilet, separate shower and the centerpiece was the huge tub. A lounge chair (or something like it) on the terrace, paired with the ocean view provided the ideal vacation setting.

The buffet dinner (had to pay separately) later that night was...for lack of a better word...romantic. We ate by the poolside on candle-lit tables, but there are tables with better lighting if you prefer that. There were around 15-20 dishes available, not just Filipino dishes but pasta and bread baskets too.

CONS:
The real letdown was the beach itself. It was rocky, not really the kind of beach we like to immerse ourselves in. It's supposed to be a sanctuary of some sort, so the resort may not be allowed to clear off the corals near the shore, anyway. Free use of their snorkeling gear. Free buffet breakfast was OK, but not that great. The spa looked promising, but after looking at the prices, I just thought that they were too high for me (it could work for you, costs 2500-4000 depending on the treatment)

RECOMMENDATION:
Overall, would definitely recommend this to people who just want to relax, pamper yourself, eat good food, sunbathe, and snorkel.

Room Tip: Get the room with an ocean view and a terrace/porch. Just make sure to tell the reservation officer...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HAnnah Lesley T
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've visited this "aging" resort about five times since the mid-1990's, as I like the fact that it is spread out, somewhat elevated from the sea, and the rooms/ cabanas are spacious. The plants/ trees/ bushes have now become quite lush (since the 90's), giving some warmth which is rather in contrast to the impersonal service from their top sales guys. Waiters/ waitresses in their cafe- resto are accommodating, though. By the way, there is only one eating place, and one bar by the sea. The beach is a white-sand beach, and would be better when the tide is really high, because when the tide is just average or low- tide, one will be forced to step on corals and stones if he wants to swim or feel the seawater. The cabanas have big bathrooms, though, with both a tub, and a shower. If you have any particular requests, just take note that it won't be easy, as they are not that accommodating. The resort is just a nice get-away from the city, though.

Room Tip: Villas 5 and 6 have spectacular views, BUT, you have to walk some distance to get to this mini-clif...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joycee456
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Lacks basic items and the staff says they don't have basic supplies like shaving kit as resort is undergoing rebranding initiative. I am wondering why will I pay same for scaled down facilities in name of rebranding. Also, the housekeeping staff will be at your room door sharm at 12 to chase you out on the checkout day even if you had agreed with the front office to vacate at 12:30 :(. I had good time there but won't go the again unless they change things and improve behaviors when you are ready to checkout.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jaideep A
Reviewed August 12, 2012

How could anyone not be happy at Alegre? It's a nature-lovers haven!
They have spacious airy cabanas which you can choose to open to the gentle breeze - or stay in cocooned, air-conditioned comfort. My cabana had a huge bathroom/dressing room, with a lovely bathtub where you can soak and de-stress to your heart's content. I loved the scent of their bathsalts, so relaxing! My cabana faced the ocean, so everytime I woke up in the morning, I had a fantastic view of the sea from my veranda.
On a lazy Saturday morning, I opted to have my breakfast brought to my veranda, so I could enjoy the breeze and the sound of the waves while I ate. On another early morning, a friend and I walked down to the white-sand beach - where we fed bread to the fish in knee-deep water. We were surrounded by friendly fish, crowding around us to get their share of breakfast :) That's quite an experience!
The grounds of this resort are well-tended, with beautifully land-scaped gardens and a clean, well-maintained private white sand beach. There's a huge swimming pool as well, if you prefer to swim in non-salty water.
Alegre is a beach resort-spa, so how could we leave the place without experiencing a massage? As in all things we experienced at Alegre, our massage was heaven :) Soothing, comforting, peaceful, wonderful.
With staff who are so friendly and caring, even if we were at Alegre for business, it seemed more like a vacation. When you're in Cebu and have a week-end (or even a day) to spare, go and visit Alegre. You will find happiness, for sure!

Room Tip: If you want seclusion and privacy, choose the ocean-view rooms. If you want easy access to the resor...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business