“Nice Resort two Hours from Cebu City, but not too customer-friendly”

Alegre Beach Resort
Ranked #69 of 221 Hotels in Cebu Island
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've visited this "aging" resort about five times since the mid-1990's, as I like the fact that it is spread out, somewhat elevated from the sea, and the rooms/ cabanas are spacious. The plants/ trees/ bushes have now become quite lush (since the 90's), giving some warmth which is rather in contrast to the impersonal service from their top sales guys. Waiters/ waitresses in their cafe- resto are accommodating, though. By the way, there is only one eating place, and one bar by the sea. The beach is a white-sand beach, and would be better when the tide is really high, because when the tide is just average or low- tide, one will be forced to step on corals and stones if he wants to swim or feel the seawater. The cabanas have big bathrooms, though, with both a tub, and a shower. If you have any particular requests, just take note that it won't be easy, as they are not that accommodating. The resort is just a nice get-away from the city, though.

Room Tip: Villas 5 and 6 have spectacular views, BUT, you have to walk some distance to get to this mini-clif...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joycee456
There are newer reviews for Alegre Beach Resort

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Lacks basic items and the staff says they don't have basic supplies like shaving kit as resort is undergoing rebranding initiative. I am wondering why will I pay same for scaled down facilities in name of rebranding. Also, the housekeeping staff will be at your room door sharm at 12 to chase you out on the checkout day even if you had agreed with the front office to vacate at 12:30 :(. I had good time there but won't go the again unless they change things and improve behaviors when you are ready to checkout.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jaideep A
Reviewed August 12, 2012

How could anyone not be happy at Alegre? It's a nature-lovers haven!
They have spacious airy cabanas which you can choose to open to the gentle breeze - or stay in cocooned, air-conditioned comfort. My cabana had a huge bathroom/dressing room, with a lovely bathtub where you can soak and de-stress to your heart's content. I loved the scent of their bathsalts, so relaxing! My cabana faced the ocean, so everytime I woke up in the morning, I had a fantastic view of the sea from my veranda.
On a lazy Saturday morning, I opted to have my breakfast brought to my veranda, so I could enjoy the breeze and the sound of the waves while I ate. On another early morning, a friend and I walked down to the white-sand beach - where we fed bread to the fish in knee-deep water. We were surrounded by friendly fish, crowding around us to get their share of breakfast :) That's quite an experience!
The grounds of this resort are well-tended, with beautifully land-scaped gardens and a clean, well-maintained private white sand beach. There's a huge swimming pool as well, if you prefer to swim in non-salty water.
Alegre is a beach resort-spa, so how could we leave the place without experiencing a massage? As in all things we experienced at Alegre, our massage was heaven :) Soothing, comforting, peaceful, wonderful.
With staff who are so friendly and caring, even if we were at Alegre for business, it seemed more like a vacation. When you're in Cebu and have a week-end (or even a day) to spare, go and visit Alegre. You will find happiness, for sure!

Room Tip: If you want seclusion and privacy, choose the ocean-view rooms. If you want easy access to the resor...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at Alegre Beach for a few days recently, our second visit. The location is idyllic, with three private white sand beaches and spectacular sea views. There are all the usual facilities, huge pool (usually empty), gym, tennis, etc. The resort is well laid out, with large villas arranged up the hillside overlooking the sea (each villa divided into two). Compared to our previous visit, three years ago, I thought the resort was starting to look a bit shabby with no recent renovations, which is a bit disappointing given the high price of the rooms. Food was not as good as I remember, though acceptable. There are no real dining options outside the resort, so you are pretty much limited to eating in. The staff were friendly and attentive. Be aware that it is a long and tedious drive from Cebu (2 hours with lots of traffic and roadworks) and there is little to do in the vicinity of the resort, other than a few diving sites.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank A-P-N
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I was lucky enough to have been sent to Cebu for work. While I was in Cebu, I spent many weekends out on the beach. Alegre was by far the best resort I've ever been in. Since I've had the luxury of my car, I didn't have to pay an odd $100 for round trip transportation from the city. While the south of Cebu offers roads, the beaches in the north of Cebu is far better.

Alegre's rooms are spacious, well maintained, and romantic. I used to have dreams of going to the Bahamas and spending a week with my would be husband but I've changed my mind - I want to have my honeymoon in good ol' Cebu - but only in Alegre.

Yes - the breakfast may have been a little skint on the choices, but the chef gave me possibly the best omelette in the world (I asked for bacon, and by golly he gave me omelette sprinkled with bacon). Having the view overlooking the beach was a plus. What a great experience.

Yes - there were many disadvantages to the resort (food choices were close to none, the hike up to the room can be a bit bothersome) but the overall beauty of the place wipes away all of that. I only wish I could have stayed one more night at the place. It was truly beautiful.

Room Tip: Choose any room you like - don't book the room with the breakfast included. It's better you...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank sonielle
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed in the resort last April 2012 with my family. The reception area and staff were very good. Room was clean and spacious. However, we were dismayed by the beach as it has a lot of fallen leaves, water is brownish as the underwater is muddy and some parts are rocky. Food in the restaurant is too expensive for the quality. I will not recommend this resort and will never visit this place again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TGPSSC
Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in April as two couples for 4 nights mid-week after spending a couple of nights in crimson resort, lapu lapu. From the moment we arrived staff were welcoming and attentive, as requested we had been put in two rooms side by side right near the spa. Rooms were in a beautiful setting in bush land with glimpses of the ocean, fantastic verandah and rooms were spacious and comfortable with a bure feel. Not rooms you may find in a 5 star resort but they were rustic, charming and well maintained. Bathrooms are fantastic! Grounds and pool well maintained. Beach was lovely and quiet, white sand and clear ocean which was great for snorkelling. Service at the beach bar was fantastic, Jubeth was outstanding and organised a beach BBQ for us, food was sensational. Restaurant was lovely with amazing views, July served us most evenings and went above and beyond to ensure we were well looked after and made great cocktails!! Thank you!!!

We had two treatments in the spa, again staff were very friendly however I have enjoyed better, more relaxing spa treatments in my time.

Overall I would highly recommend Alegre to anyone looking to escape the hustle and bustle to a beautiful secluded setting. Keep up the good work Alegre - we hope to see you again!

• Stayed: April 2012