“Great trip...”

Ranked #147 of 213 Hotels in Cebu Island
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Great trip...”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Nigel was a pleasure to work with, and his staff is exceptional. The room was very nice. Overall, it was exactly what I'd hoped for. I very much enjoyed my four week stay. Looking forward to going back... Highly recommended !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank tmitango

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The first time I travelled to Cebu with friends....the excitement to see this place urged us to overcome the so tiring 3-hour ride towards the South. The breathtaking zigzag road gave it more an intriguing foresight of what's instore along the way going up as you spot a lighted area at the topmost part of the mountain ranges. A few minutes more as we parked down the grounds, we set our feet to grasp the only way up......more than 100 steps! Smiles went painted on our faces as we saw the bamboo gate with the sign Sun Xi Resort....and when it opened....walking a few more steps....we were greeted by a cool, awesome,tranquil abode with the stars almost at our reach. It was an unforgettable golden day for me since then....and had to go back second and third time around, August of this year, bringing other friends to experience the magic of this cozy resort for themselves. Surprisingly, each year has its own new eye-popping added features....and this year....a welcoming villa where 6 casitas await guests to slumber and have some peaceful stay away from the fast pacing world in the cities in a warm ambience and services given by trained staffs. So, what are you waiting for? It's your chance of a lifetime!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Maria Estela F
Reviewed October 30, 2012

got taken to the mountain resort by a friend of mine and who is also a friend of the owners. went there had drinks in the bar and checked out the rooms, beautiful views and nice courtyards, clean rooms

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank aussiechris90
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Arrived at Sun Xi after a hectic week in Australia....in need of some relaxation, we could not have asked for a better place to come. Access is via a climb of 100 odd steps, but oh so worth it. The place is strikingly beautiful, and the views breathtaking,the atmosphere is very relaxed making this is the ideal place to unwind and chill out.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the rooms very comfortable. It was a pleasure to wake every morning to another day in Paradise, my only regret is that we were not able to stay longer. I certainly plan a return visit and would highly recommend

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ange1954
Perth
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Recently I traveled to the island of Cebu, Philippines.

Cebu with the Philippines is one of the upcoming tourist destinations in Asia. I assume as this is, in comparison to Thailand or Malaysia, pretty untapped.

Being in Asia, the island has a number of beach holidaying destinations. On this occasion I visited a place that sang a different tune. A mountain resort. Usually you hear about mountain resorts in the snowy mountains of Europe so I was intrigued to find out what it was all about.

Sun Xi Resort, a very new establishment, claim to be at 2,200 ft above sea level.

They are situated in the quiet “Barangay” (village) Lepanto, which is part of the municipal Alegria.

Upon arriving at Cebu, Mactan airport. I was met by the Sun Xi Resort driver, who took my bags and put them in the back of their pickup truck, and I got in the cabin with the driver. I must say , this was not your standard shuttle bus to a hotel one maybe used too. Still to me, it added to the general character of Sun Xi.

The drive took about 3 hours and even though it was dark, It was interesting to see us getting more and more rural, till eventually we kicked in the four wheel drive, and started ascending the mountain.

When finally there, I had to climb up a tiring 128 stairs where the resort was finally waiting.

The entrance is a little left to be desired, but once inside the gates, the landscaping and view was truly quite breath taking.

I met with the young manager Tim, whose father is the main investor/
owner of the property. He explained to me the concept was a getaway for the white collar expats living in Asia to escape to for the weekend or longer.

The general atmosphere of the place is very casual. You feel like you are more staying as a guest of a house, as opposed to the usual, room service, front of house, restaurant etc. That being said, there is still housekeeping, a bar and dining area where simple foods were cooked, which all gets charged to the account.

It was a bit weird to get used to the fact that I couldn't readily use my mobile phone whenever I wanted. I was informed that there are only certain spots around the estate which have signal. I questioned as to whether that affects business or not. However, Sun Xi's marketing, is all about, total recluse, the “throw away your phones, burn the laptops” culture, and I see how it works for them.

A good place to come for honeymoons/romantic get aways. Catching up on a lot of reading/ self time. Stargazing (beautiful) hiking on natural paths. Generally to get back to basics.

A must visit, if you really do want to get out of the cities but still feel at home.

Still very new, so a few hiccups, but will be interesting to see how they develop.

• Liked — All the Dogs! The mood, The staff
  • Disliked — 128 stairs!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank clintoneoconey
Sunxi, General Manager at Sun Xi Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear clintoneoconey, just wanted to say a big thank-you for your support of Sun Xi Resort and for the pioneering visit and stay you and your friends made back in April 2008. Wow, almost 5 years ago. It would be great if you can make a trip next April as we have a few developments which we will be officially launching and would like to share with you. Quite a lot has changed over the past 4 years, but also a lot is still the same - as it has been for the last 400 years, or more even. The scenery, atmosphere and magic will hopefully never change. Thanks again for your visit and the review. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.