“Great cocktails, disappointing food (lacked flavour)”
Review of Dos Mestizos

Dos Mestizos
Ranked #11 of 326 Restaurants in Boracay
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Dos Mestizos sounded like the perfect place to celebrate our special occasion. After reading Trip Advisor, we made a reservation in person (as there was no reply to our email sent a week before). The evening started really well - I had a mojito and my husband had a marguerita - they were delicious - up there with the best we've every had.

We then started our meal with chorizo and octopus. The chorizo was homemade - ok - but lacked chorizo flavour. The octopus was thinly chopped pieces of octopus that had been marinating for so long that they tasted like tuna. The table next to us were also surprised when the unrecognisable octopus arrived. We were given a complimentary basket of bread - which was slightly sweet - but a very generous amount - with oil and pesto dips.

For main course we ordered the famous paella (which the waiters remind you needs 30minutes to cook) - chosing the meat and seafood combination. There was a generous amount of seafood (clams, mussels, prawns) with chicken and chorizo. Portion size (we chose the small, serves 2-3) was great and more than enough for us both. Unfortunately the paella just lacked flavour - no garlic notes - just very bland.

After another delicious mojito and local beer we headed home a little disappointed.

In terms of ambience. The waiters were all very helpful and friendly. The restaurant was very hot as the air con was not on and the two fans moved around the hot air.

Suggest, go for a drink or two.

1  Thank Aussienando
Dos M, Manager at Dos Mestizos, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for your candid remarks about our restaurant and your opinion on the food we serve to our guests. Our dishes are all made from traditional Filipino Spanish recipes handed down through generations. While they appeal to a lot of people, we regret that you did not find any of these suitable for your taste. We shall continue to examine the quality of our cuisine and strive to improve on these to bring about a quality dining experience for everyone.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

After 8 days of trying the various recommended restaurants by the White Beach, we went to the closest restaurant to our hotel. The menu might have been pricier than all the other restaurants we visited but was certainly worth the money. Really good Spanish tapas and the paella was really good. The choice of wine might have been limited but there were some good Riojas to go with the food.

2  Thank OPSwede
Dos M, Manager at Dos Mestizos, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about our restaurant and the food we serve. We seek to serve quality dishes with the freshest ingredients to our guests each day and we are happy to see your appreciation for these. We hope to see you again in our restaurant on your next visit to Boracay.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have to say that in my years of living in Boracay, Dos Mestizos is one the best and fave restos on my list! I have been going to this very warm and familial place for almost a decade and I have seen it grow bigger and better!
People go this place for different reasons but I go there for the food! Besides the paella, chorizo, pulpo, and croquettas de azul; I go there for tapas buffet and the cochinillo; the revelry during Halloween; the family ambiance of the noche buena during Christmas and New Years Eve dinner!
When you go to Dos, you've got to try their baked chicken! Every bite you have to let the taste linger as you slowly chew the food.. A real foodie never just swallows the food! Have care as you get a fork full of pulpo! Mmmmm.... Croquettas de Azul (blue cheese croquettas), OMG! It melts in your mouth! If you guys want to try the cochinillo, remember you have to order that in advance, like a day! As you partake in all these, a nice bottle of tempranillo would be great to pair with them. Paella nera with aoili on the side! Yummmm!
So, your next stop in Boracay, Dos Mestizos is a must go to place!
Salud!

3  Thank Felipe Gene D
Dos M, Manager at Dos Mestizos, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about Dos Mestizos, our food and the ambiance of our restaurant. This encourages to further strive to improve the quality of our food and our customer service standards. We look forward to having you with us again on your next visit to Boracay.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

After spending a hectic day under the Boracay Sun, the best place to relax and unwind is Dos Mestizos. After dinner, I asked Rico the bartender for a recommendation of a drink, and he mixed up the best Cafe Carajillo, which is a wonderful concoction of coffee and flaming Brandy !! The heated coffee mug is lighted to flame up the Brandy. A shot of coffee liquour is then added which puts out the blue flame. Ambient music was not too loud, and guests were definitely enjoying their dinner as I also did. I checked out their new addition, which is the newly renovated wine cellar. The Deli which is at the entrance side also serves fine meats and cheese. Make it a point to cap your Boracay vacation with a dinner at Dos Mestizos. The food is excellent. Service is tops, especially to the hospitable staff and to the Restaurant Manager Paul !! Looking forward to visiting this restaurant on my next vacation to the Island !! Really a great place to dine, chill out, meet new friends and relax..... and of course for the best Cafe Carajillo I have ever had !!

2  Thank Jfermin
Dos M, Manager at Dos Mestizos, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about our restaurant and the cafe carajillo that we serve. We are happy that you enjoyed your dining experience at Dos Mestizos and certainly hope to see you again on your next visit to Boracay.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The waitress missed out our main course, was not able to give recommendations for food besides the pallella which I explained willl be too big a portion for my mum. Stark contrast to the other restaurants I've tried in boracay.

1  Thank chewyjuice
Dos M, Manager at Dos Mestizos, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

We are sorry for your unfortunate experience in our restaurant recently. I beleive there was some misunderstanding with our staff regarding your order which was not taken properly. Rest assured that we shall be addressing the situation and will be taking this up to further improve our customer service quality.