“i dont even know why they advertise paella”

Ole Spanish Tapas Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #248 of 307 Restaurants in Boracay
Cuisines: Cuban, Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2014

paella was terrible, we order one paella and one seafood soup and we ended up with stomach flu for two days. the taste was so bad that we cant finish it, so i asked it to be taken out, thinking i could at least give it to a street dog. we saw two street dogs and none touched it, that gave us the feeling that something might be wrong...and the dogs got it right, we should have not eaten it.

There are newer reviews for Ole Spanish Tapas Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We went to Ole because we had a 10% coupon from a booklet that we got upon arriving on the island. The restaurant had free WIFI and is located right at D'Mall.

I ordered the sangria and it was delicious but a bit on the weaker side.

We went for lunch and got a few tapas to share and they were all really tasty. The croquettes and shrimp with bechamel were delicious.

The bread on the cuban sandwich was a bit stale and was not toasted right. We could have done without the cuba.

It seemed like everyone else went for the Paella but there was a note on the menu that it would take some time and we were kind of in a rush.

I would recommend this place and definitely use the coupon.

worldtavelor1, Owner at Ole Spanish Tapas Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

We appreciate your comments and will constantly try to imove towards excellance

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I went here twice during my stay in Boracay. There`s a big selection on the menu. I ordered the fajitas. They do good Sangria too! The service was decent considering how busy the restaurant was.

1  Thank Laura87130
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This restaurant was open late while most others were already closed. The food was average, a bit fat, but certainly a bit expensive for the quality and the service.

1  Thank PhilFrenchRiviera
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Ate at Ole's for the second time tonight. I had the steak/chicken fajitas combo on my last visit, so I ordered that again for 490p (About US $11.15). Since my family was with me, they also ordered. I try to be fair about feeding them.

My wife decided to share my meal. She ordered Arroz Caldo for 115p (About US $2.60) for our youngest son (age 2-1/2) and our older son (age 10) ordered the Chicken & rice from the Kids' menu for 125p (About US $2.85).

The fajitas came out first, and were sizzling as one would expect of that dish. It came with three homemade tortillas. I ordered five more tortillas, and they were given without charge. The food was excellent, and it was plenty to feed both my wife and I. My only suggestion is to get rid of the stuff that they call "sour cream," which tasted like a mixture of mayo and butter, and to actually use real sour cream. I believe that Nestle has a decent sour cream available in this country, so they should switch to it. Guacamole would be a nice extra, but not totally necessary.

The chicken and rice were about average for quality. Two small pieces of chicken comprised the meal along with one scoop of rice. If this had not been ordered from the kids menu, one probably would complain about the size of the pieces, but the value for the money was fair.

The arroz caldo was really bad. It should be served with a premium sticky rice, but instead was served with a very cheap local rice. My son pushed it away after a few bites. This item is dragging down our food rating on this visit.

On a scale of one to five for the food dishes (see photos), we rate them as follows:

Fajitas 4.5 (Real sour cream would have earned a 5 here)
Chicken 3.0 (Not much flavor - average rating fits)
Arroz Caldo 1.0 (Only because we don't rate lower)

The service was excellent. The waitstaff was attentive and mostly cute across the board. I did have to ask for more beer when I was ready, but someone was always close by to accept my order. They refilled napkins regularly and kept the table clean.

Noticing that we had kids, the waitress brought kids menus for them. She also brought colored pencils and a couple of pictures for them to draw upon. I thought this was a nice touch.

Service earns a 4.5/5.0

Ole does not have a service charge, so we gave what would be considered a better than average tip.

Overall, we were quite pleased with our visit. We sat in the front of the restaurant, so we had the added benefit of crowd-watching. Even though the space was a bit tight, due to the chair arrangement, we were not unduly inconvenienced by other people's ingress and egress.

I would recommend a visit, but do be careful about which items you order. On a previous visit, the nachos did not impress. Again, this was an issue of using local ingredients instead of the better quality, imported items (e.g. Cheddar cheese, sour cream).

1  Thank Brad P