“Best Dive School in Boracay”

Calypso Diving School
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering Diving & Land Safaris along with any activities you may wish to do during your stay on Boracay Island. We make trips to Monkey Island, Maniguin Islands, Panagan Cays & Apo Reef for Diving, Tibiao Waterfalls and Zip line over land. We can also organize any specials trips you may wish to do.
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best Dive School in Boracay”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Well where to start.. After many years visiting Thailand , Malaysia and Vietnam from when we were an unmarried couple spending our days diving and nights in restaurants to the last few years which have been taken up with discovering holidays that were a little out of the way but fun for our two boys now aged 8 and 10 it was finally time to introduce them to the joys of the underwater world and I decided that the Philippines and Boracay specifically was going to be the place...Many late nights on Google researching the options and I kept gravitating back to Calypso...Why?? If I was going to let my 8 year old strap a tank on for PADI Seal I wanted a purpose built dive pool, if my ten year old was going to complete his Open Water I wanted him to be able to complete all of his skills in a controlled environment..I could not find another operator that had the POOL...If I was going to an island paradise I want to wake up and see it and go to bed beside it..Calypso was hitting the mark..
So the communication began ..First responses were from Joy who looked after the accom and Sue on the diving..cc to each other always.. timely and thorough ..They probably looked at their e-mails and thought Oh God not him again...

The time finally came and after sleeping on the floor of Changi airport overnight, a four hour delay in Manila and finally arriving at 9pm the welcome could not have been better...

We had booked a Deluxe suite and the room was massive, clean and perfect for a family of four..the balcony sits on the edge of the beach path so a great view which will only get better when the palms out the front grow a few metres...No problem with noise from passers by overnight..

On to to diving.. I cannot speak highly enough about this team...Captain Sue hides behind the scenes but has it all under control and then you have Captain Andrew..Sitting in the shop like Captain Kirk on the bridge of the Enterprise...knows all that is happening and directing staff and customers in a style that had me in stitches...
The instructors Oliver and Rainier teaching the boys displayed passion and patience, I could not have hoped for a better interaction as an introduction to a sport that we can now enjoy as a family...
Did we have hiccups? Yes.. Current the wrong way on a dive, trigger fish that wouldn't go away and a little fire coral burn.. Guess what? that is diving.. at no time was anyone worried and it taught my 10 year old that there no place for complacency in diving..

My next holiday? Boracay.. Where am I staying? Calypso,, Who am I diving with ? Calypso...

I have dived with a heap of companies and in a lot of locations in Asia and for a total experience of accom, food, bar and the most important diving they have nailed it..

Visited April 2013

Basel, Switzerland
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Very satisfied with my experience”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I decided to do my Advanced Open Water Diving Course with Calypso Diving School and i wasn't disapointed at all. The instructors are amazing, helpful and fun; the equipment is clean and new and there are many options for the diving sites. They are also quite flexible;i had problems with my ear at the second day of the course so i had to stop the diving that day. My instructor immediately made a new plan for the following day. One other thing i found quite nice was the refreshing session in the pool where i went through the basic skills with my instructor in the pool before starting the actual dives
I would definitely recommend this diving school

Visited April 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awful communication and no attention to detail”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The only positive to the fun dive we completed with Calypso was the well maintained new equipment, Other than that pretty poor service.

We were off to a great start when they forgot to pack the wetsuit for my girlfriend when she made clear she was allergic to the jellyfish/sealice in the water.

Once in water and down to the wreck our divemaster ended up being narked and ended up having to wait for him to "come around" for around 5 minutes. After this he took us on a short tour of the wreck before indicating to assend, we had more than 15 minutes bottom time remaining at this point and around 140 bar of air remaining. He then told us to look around by ourself while he just hovered around 10m above us. Also after only 14 dives we both had a much better control over our buoyancy and position in the water. He constantly had to use his "stick" to stop himself bumping into the wreck and the reef.

Overall, by far from the best dive with lack of enthusiasm, communication, feedback and fun! We canceled our second dive with Calypso.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank CalebHale
London, United Kingdom
231 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 567 helpful votes
“Slam Dunk Diving”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

First Impressions: National Geographic has ranked only a handful of dive centres around the world to represent them in training a new and improved recreational diver: the Nat Geo Diver. Calypso Diving School, already a 5* PADI IDC Dive Resort, is one of them. I've taken my Wreck Diving certification with them back in 2006 and, this time, for my Enriched Air Nitrox course.

PROS: First of all, the non-diving aspect. Their website is well-designed and informative. E-mail response times are quick and thorough. Next, the diving aspect. The main facility (at beachfront near the Tourist Info Office) is top-notch, having integrated the dive shop, dive school, training pool, resort accommodations, sports bar and restaurant all in one place. So convenient. The equipment are excellent, having a state-of-the-art Bauer EA Nitrox compressor on site. (I believe only one of a few centres in Asia to have one. Even other dive centres in Boracay fill their Nitrox tanks here.) The customer service is excellent. My Nitrox class happened even when I was the only student at the time. The staff were professional, yet fun and laid back. I appreciate the personalized service: the instructor carried my gear to the boat, washed it afterwards, willing to be flexible with schedule changes and when he was not available to accompany me to Dog Drift, the Calypso manager even took his place! Lastly, they offer several combo classes up to the Instructor Level (e.g., Advanced OW to Rescue Diver-DM Gold).

CONS: A tad more expensive than other dive shops (roughly +£25 more) but the ROI is worth it. Some other dive shops look shabby, if not dubious.

Verdict: From the perspective of a former marine biologist and a seasoned scuba diver (25+ yrs), it's a slam-dunk choice. Highly recommended. Grade A.

Visited April 2012
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Brilliant Service”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Excellent gear, great guide, fast speedboat, amazing soft corals!
My boyfriend and I went to Seaworld Dive Center before this and it was terrible in comparison. Don't bother going anywhere else - these guys are the best.

Visited March 2013