“A Diamond In The Sands”

Ranked #5 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Singapore
“A Diamond In The Sands”
Reviewed September 26, 2009

What prompted me to try out Discovery Shores were the reviews and praises I’ve read time and time again about how wonderful the whole “experience” is. I am not amongst the rich and the famous, and the price one must pay at Discovery Shores is not a joke – I had to work harder than usual to earn enough dough to make the stay possible but this I will tell you: It was well worth it.

From the moment our plane landed in Kalibo (Caticlan was undergoing a renovation) the staff at Discovery Shores was awaiting us with a smile on his face. This took us by surprise, because our flight’s destination was originally supposed to land at Caticlan but due to the renovation it was moved to Kalibo. The airline company did arrange for free transfers for us, which I informed Discovery Shores beforehand to save them the trouble of going all the way to pick us up. I was pleased to find out that they wanted to make sure we will not have any problems and stayed put to ensure that we will be transferred to Caticlan. Once we arrived at the port, another staff was there to greet us. We never had to walk a step without a staff to help us out. What an outstanding 1st impression they have given us! I’m sure the rest of their guests would have felt the exact same way we did – royalty.

The place is beautiful – situated on the best spot in Boracay; albeit some distance from the popular hang-outs like D’Mall and some clubs/bars, but you will find that this will not cause any trouble as Discovery Shores offer shuttle service to and from any place you want – free of charge. The room is gorgeous, with elegant lighting and abundant spreads of different fruits and some light daily treats. The pool is heated nicely with a Jacuzzi and a floating bar. This is not as grand as you may imagine but this is Boracay – the sea and the sand will be enough to spellbind you and having a pool and a Jacuzzi is just icing on the cake. And the service…wow…I was and am still really wowed by the whole experience. The service alone makes one feel that the money spent is worth it and having this beautiful and aesthetically designed paradise is almost like heaven. I would like to add this information: Discovery Shores serves DIFFERENT breakfast buffet daily! It’s rare that hotels do this, most of the time it’s the same thing day in and day out.

Overall, I couldn’t help but fall in love with Discovery Shores. I have loved Boracay all these years and have been coming back time and time again just to be able to feel the sand under my feet and see the blue/green/emerald waters sparkle under the sun. This is the 1st time that I have not gone to the beach as often and have stayed within the confines of the hotel simply because it was too hard to resist and I just could not leave the super-soft bed! Stray too far and you’ll be lured back in an instant. I loved how cozy and homey the place made me feel – it wasn’t just staying at Discovery Shores, it’s experiencing a different kind of living and pure relaxation in this heavenly oasis!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patsp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ukraine
Reviewed September 17, 2009

The best seashore in the world. The really white sand, the really transparent water. Unique exclusive service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vapetrov
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 21, 2009

From the minute our 45 minute Seair Flight arrived in Caticlan airport, whisked away to ride in their new air conditioned van to their private 20 minute boat ride to Boracay Shores and into their van towards the resort, we felt well taken cared of!

Already impressed at their efficient and organized transfer service; we were wowed with the Resort's impeccable service! A campaign they truly brought to heart (pun intended) "Service that's all heart" - and from the moment we tasted the welcome shot of their mouthwatering, thirst quenching lychee frost, i fell in love with the place!

Welcoming us was the very pleasant and accommodating Sheena, who guided us to our lovely new two bedroom suite overlooking the shore and briefed us on what to expect during our stay, and booked us for our dinner and Spa treatment. Had a magnificent view that simply took our breath away and brought our cameras working hard!

From their cookie treats and sweetened preserved fruits to their flavored water to their Evian spritz... Discovery Shores continue surprise us with their care in the little details; and while Boracay has lots of treasures to be explored, you'd most likely want to stay in the resort and bask in the heart warming service they provide.

We have to commend their Butlers; especially Rex, they were amazingly discreet and quick with their service and truly went out of their way to pamper us!

After a trip, I usually get asked "Will you go back?" and to Discovery Shores I say "When's the next long weekend?".

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank andraolee
misskay314
Reviewed August 6, 2009

It was worth every penny that we paid for. The service was great and very friendly. After 5 minutes of being in the room for the first time, we were all given a "foot bath"...which basically was a foot massage. The buffet breakfast was great. The dinner (they had Filipino buffet) was good. Although, we could have paid something cheaper outside the hotel. The comfort of the room and beds were great and felt like home. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a comfortable and relaxing stay in Boracay. Even though some complain about the pool being small, who goes to Boracay for the pool? I've seen some complaints written in here, and I'm a bit floored how that can be. Either way, great stay, great accomodations and great vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank kaykkes
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Boracay was the second leg of our Philippines trip (the first being the province of Pangasinan and the third Manila). I selected the hotel based on the strength of its reviews here on TripAdvisor and because we were really going for 5 stars. After a four-night stay at a Motel 6-type hotel, Discovery Shores was like an oasis. I strongly recommend arranging transfer from Kalibo to the hotel through the hotel itself. The rate I was quoted was 1900 pesos per person round-trip. That’s roughly the equivalent of $39.50 per person. From the airport at Kalibo, it was an hour ride by van to the port/dock at Caticlan. Then a less than 10 minutes ride to Bulabag and then another 10 minute ride by van to Discovery Shores. Through every step of the way, we were greeted by hotel representatives (more on that later).

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by the welcoming staff with moist handtowels for freshening up and the most delicious lychee drink. Jay, our personal greeter, whisked us up to our room, where we were pleasantly surprised by a complimentary set-up of wine, a cheese plate, cassava cake dessert (in fact, complimentary dessert, typically traditional Pilipino sweets, would be brought up to our room every night), and three jars filled with pili nuts, dried fruit, and cookies. The piece de resistance though was a complimentary foot wash/massage for the both of us.

I cannot rave enough about the superb service exemplified by every single member of the staff we encountered. We were constantly greeted as we strolled through the hotel grounds and every need was attended to. At the beach, the butler offered us pandan drinks, mixed nuts, and cookies. When I ordered a lychee apple margarita from the Jacuzzi, one of the butlers offered me an umbrella to shield my drink from the downpour of rain.

Breakfast was a feast for us every morning. We enjoyed garlic fried rice and other traditional Filipino fare such as beef tapa and tocino, smoked bangus, and longanisa. Eggs were available cooked to order, as were crepes and coffee/espresso drinks.
We indulged at the Mandala Spa three times on consecutive nights. The spa attendants are equally courteous and attentive. Other bonuses were the hotel’s business center with two computers with hi-speed internet access, the free wifi in the hotel rooms and public spaces, the pool table, and the complimentary pool-side refreshments of juice and fried donut balls.

The only downside to our Discovery Shores experience occurred upon our arrival at Kalibo Airport. A Discovery Shores employee by the name of Ronnie greeted us and promptly advised us that due to the late hour, we would have to pay an additional 1500 pesos per person to cover the boat fare. I informed Ronnie that we had been quoted 1900 pesos round-trip, including the boat ride, and immediately phoned the hotel on my mobile and relayed the situation to the customer service representative, who then asked to speak with Ronnie. After Ronnie got off the phone, all seemed to be fine and he dropped the subject. However, the bad taste was still in our mouths. I was fuming and let Ronnie know in no uncertain terms that his conduct was unacceptable and warned him not to mess with us. The following day, my husband spoke with one of the hotel managers but it was unclear as to what action the hotel would take to reprimand the employee, if any. During our last day at the hotel, we conversed with a lovely couple who arrived the same night as we did and exchanged stories with them. Unfortunately, they did pay the additional fee as per Ronnie’s advisement. We told them to try to get their money back as they were traveling with a very large party.

Again, the Ronnie experience was the only blemish in our otherwise blissful stay at Discovery Shores. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others or to return again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ouiparis
London
Reviewed July 30, 2009

once again, back in Boracay. This time, was not able to get into my usual resort so I went next door to Discovery. You know, its a new place, and it looks very nice from the outside. for me, I dont like "clinical" hotels as in very stiff and no feeling, but I know that many people do,, that was not the let down,, the let down was the flambouyant attitude of the manager and the strange thing that the staff while VERY FRIENDLY but knew nothing? I cannot blaim them, as they are being so nice,, so welcoming but each time I asked a question I got a blank look and was told "I dont know sir",,

The food.. well,, it was not very exciting at all,, I am not saying it was bad,, it was not bad,, it was just plain and tasteless... I ended up going back to Fridays to eat..

so some pointers ,, the thing is,, when you read TripAdvisor,, it can for this hotel be confusing, the rooms are nice, there is no question, BUT,, they are very clinical.. they are not native what so ever, so be sure that is what you want.. there are one or two resorts on the island that have the native rooms but are very luxurious..

Discovery was to me, way over priced.

Dont take any problems to the manager, he does not care really.

Dont ask questions,, you wont get an answer.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cathaycaptain
Austria
Reviewed July 25, 2009

We have just come back from our vacation at Discovery Shores Boracay, two adults and one child. We took a one bedroom suite for 4 days and 3 nights. This place has a very nice white sand beach, secure and clean. We also had a wonderful sea view from our suite. We booked online one day before our arrival and checking in went smoothly. As we have traveled to so many countries and have seen many resorts and accommodations worldwide, we absolutely don't understand why this place is overpriced and supposed to be one of the best in Boracay. Okay, below are some of the things that disappointed us.

During our entire stay we didn't see any manager welcoming or taking care of the guests.

Staff is unprofessional and need training, not their fault though, especially they are really nice and polite.

Many things in our suite need to be fixed or replaced. Maintenance was so bad that we couldn't even open the minibar door. Or, when we coudn't make calls with the cordless phone until we found out that no batteries in there.

This place desperately needs to be renovated. Beautiful beach but ugly beton buildings!

The swimming pool is too small.

We had no in-house consultancy or guidance for activities.

Food was just ordinary, we had much better food outside.

Our time was easily wasted, for example, they forgot to pick us up back by their free shuttle at 11:00pm from station 2 (on the island). And, when we checked out, our luggage was brought too late so that we left 30 minutes later.

For USD 400 a night (low-season price), including a mediocre breakfast and lots of overpriced but usual so-so things that you have to pay extra for, we definitely will stay next time on Boracay island somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family