“Pampered like no other resort in Boracay!”

Discovery Shores Boracay
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed August 21, 2009

From the minute our 45 minute Seair Flight arrived in Caticlan airport, whisked away to ride in their new air conditioned van to their private 20 minute boat ride to Boracay Shores and into their van towards the resort, we felt well taken cared of!

Already impressed at their efficient and organized transfer service; we were wowed with the Resort's impeccable service! A campaign they truly brought to heart (pun intended) "Service that's all heart" - and from the moment we tasted the welcome shot of their mouthwatering, thirst quenching lychee frost, i fell in love with the place!

Welcoming us was the very pleasant and accommodating Sheena, who guided us to our lovely new two bedroom suite overlooking the shore and briefed us on what to expect during our stay, and booked us for our dinner and Spa treatment. Had a magnificent view that simply took our breath away and brought our cameras working hard!

From their cookie treats and sweetened preserved fruits to their flavored water to their Evian spritz... Discovery Shores continue surprise us with their care in the little details; and while Boracay has lots of treasures to be explored, you'd most likely want to stay in the resort and bask in the heart warming service they provide.

We have to commend their Butlers; especially Rex, they were amazingly discreet and quick with their service and truly went out of their way to pamper us!

After a trip, I usually get asked "Will you go back?" and to Discovery Shores I say "When's the next long weekend?".

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank andraolee
There are newer reviews for Discovery Shores Boracay

Reviewed August 6, 2009

It was worth every penny that we paid for. The service was great and very friendly. After 5 minutes of being in the room for the first time, we were all given a "foot bath"...which basically was a foot massage. The buffet breakfast was great. The dinner (they had Filipino buffet) was good. Although, we could have paid something cheaper outside the hotel. The comfort of the room and beds were great and felt like home. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a comfortable and relaxing stay in Boracay. Even though some complain about the pool being small, who goes to Boracay for the pool? I've seen some complaints written in here, and I'm a bit floored how that can be. Either way, great stay, great accomodations and great vacation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank kaykkes
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Boracay was the second leg of our Philippines trip (the first being the province of Pangasinan and the third Manila). I selected the hotel based on the strength of its reviews here on TripAdvisor and because we were really going for 5 stars. After a four-night stay at a Motel 6-type hotel, Discovery Shores was like an oasis. I strongly recommend arranging transfer from Kalibo to the hotel through the hotel itself. The rate I was quoted was 1900 pesos per person round-trip. That’s roughly the equivalent of $39.50 per person. From the airport at Kalibo, it was an hour ride by van to the port/dock at Caticlan. Then a less than 10 minutes ride to Bulabag and then another 10 minute ride by van to Discovery Shores. Through every step of the way, we were greeted by hotel representatives (more on that later).

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by the welcoming staff with moist handtowels for freshening up and the most delicious lychee drink. Jay, our personal greeter, whisked us up to our room, where we were pleasantly surprised by a complimentary set-up of wine, a cheese plate, cassava cake dessert (in fact, complimentary dessert, typically traditional Pilipino sweets, would be brought up to our room every night), and three jars filled with pili nuts, dried fruit, and cookies. The piece de resistance though was a complimentary foot wash/massage for the both of us.

I cannot rave enough about the superb service exemplified by every single member of the staff we encountered. We were constantly greeted as we strolled through the hotel grounds and every need was attended to. At the beach, the butler offered us pandan drinks, mixed nuts, and cookies. When I ordered a lychee apple margarita from the Jacuzzi, one of the butlers offered me an umbrella to shield my drink from the downpour of rain.

Breakfast was a feast for us every morning. We enjoyed garlic fried rice and other traditional Filipino fare such as beef tapa and tocino, smoked bangus, and longanisa. Eggs were available cooked to order, as were crepes and coffee/espresso drinks.
We indulged at the Mandala Spa three times on consecutive nights. The spa attendants are equally courteous and attentive. Other bonuses were the hotel’s business center with two computers with hi-speed internet access, the free wifi in the hotel rooms and public spaces, the pool table, and the complimentary pool-side refreshments of juice and fried donut balls.

The only downside to our Discovery Shores experience occurred upon our arrival at Kalibo Airport. A Discovery Shores employee by the name of Ronnie greeted us and promptly advised us that due to the late hour, we would have to pay an additional 1500 pesos per person to cover the boat fare. I informed Ronnie that we had been quoted 1900 pesos round-trip, including the boat ride, and immediately phoned the hotel on my mobile and relayed the situation to the customer service representative, who then asked to speak with Ronnie. After Ronnie got off the phone, all seemed to be fine and he dropped the subject. However, the bad taste was still in our mouths. I was fuming and let Ronnie know in no uncertain terms that his conduct was unacceptable and warned him not to mess with us. The following day, my husband spoke with one of the hotel managers but it was unclear as to what action the hotel would take to reprimand the employee, if any. During our last day at the hotel, we conversed with a lovely couple who arrived the same night as we did and exchanged stories with them. Unfortunately, they did pay the additional fee as per Ronnie’s advisement. We told them to try to get their money back as they were traveling with a very large party.

Again, the Ronnie experience was the only blemish in our otherwise blissful stay at Discovery Shores. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others or to return again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ouiparis
Reviewed July 30, 2009

once again, back in Boracay. This time, was not able to get into my usual resort so I went next door to Discovery. You know, its a new place, and it looks very nice from the outside. for me, I dont like "clinical" hotels as in very stiff and no feeling, but I know that many people do,, that was not the let down,, the let down was the flambouyant attitude of the manager and the strange thing that the staff while VERY FRIENDLY but knew nothing? I cannot blaim them, as they are being so nice,, so welcoming but each time I asked a question I got a blank look and was told "I dont know sir",,

The food.. well,, it was not very exciting at all,, I am not saying it was bad,, it was not bad,, it was just plain and tasteless... I ended up going back to Fridays to eat..

so some pointers ,, the thing is,, when you read TripAdvisor,, it can for this hotel be confusing, the rooms are nice, there is no question, BUT,, they are very clinical.. they are not native what so ever, so be sure that is what you want.. there are one or two resorts on the island that have the native rooms but are very luxurious..

Discovery was to me, way over priced.

Dont take any problems to the manager, he does not care really.

Dont ask questions,, you wont get an answer.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cathaycaptain
Reviewed July 25, 2009

We have just come back from our vacation at Discovery Shores Boracay, two adults and one child. We took a one bedroom suite for 4 days and 3 nights. This place has a very nice white sand beach, secure and clean. We also had a wonderful sea view from our suite. We booked online one day before our arrival and checking in went smoothly. As we have traveled to so many countries and have seen many resorts and accommodations worldwide, we absolutely don't understand why this place is overpriced and supposed to be one of the best in Boracay. Okay, below are some of the things that disappointed us.

During our entire stay we didn't see any manager welcoming or taking care of the guests.

Staff is unprofessional and need training, not their fault though, especially they are really nice and polite.

Many things in our suite need to be fixed or replaced. Maintenance was so bad that we couldn't even open the minibar door. Or, when we coudn't make calls with the cordless phone until we found out that no batteries in there.

This place desperately needs to be renovated. Beautiful beach but ugly beton buildings!

The swimming pool is too small.

We had no in-house consultancy or guidance for activities.

Food was just ordinary, we had much better food outside.

Our time was easily wasted, for example, they forgot to pick us up back by their free shuttle at 11:00pm from station 2 (on the island). And, when we checked out, our luggage was brought too late so that we left 30 minutes later.

For USD 400 a night (low-season price), including a mediocre breakfast and lots of overpriced but usual so-so things that you have to pay extra for, we definitely will stay next time on Boracay island somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank GWahgdy
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The most luxurious hotel in Station 1, Boracay! I stayed at Discovery Shores for 3 nights with family for my father's birthday celebration. Plush Interior and wonderful architecture. We got 2 Junior Suites (3 persons per room): large and very clean rooms and bathrooms, comfortable beds (even the extra bed fixed near the window), and over the top amenities (e.g. radio, coffee maker, ipod cradle, flat screen tv, etc). When we went to our rooms we were welcomed with goodies (cookies and chocolates) and a refreshing Pandan flavored water, and complementary foot spa! Everyday they gave us complementary snacks :).
Great pool with complementary refreshments and towels while sun bathing. Best quality of sand and cleanest area in Station 1 even after the rain and high tide. Quite far from the night life, clubs, shops, and majority of restaurants, which were in Station 2, however, the hotel has shuttle service to and from the other establishments and it is still walking distance so what the heck.
Tried breakfast and dinner (Mother's Day buffet) at Discovery and the food was superb! Great lighting during night time! What an unforgettable experience. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again if budget is not a concern :). It is all worth it if you want to relax and be pampered in Boracay! Perfect for honeymoon and celebrations such as wedding and anniversary.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank jme-jme
Reviewed July 12, 2009

As I gathered my thoughts to reflect on my 3 day stay in Boracay, all I can say is that if there was a 6th star I would give it to Discover Shores. My birthday was on the weekend of my trip, so I decided to treat myself to the best of what Boracay can offer - I visited & reviewed sites such as these and found Discovery Shores as highly rated. I can truly confirm that Discovery Shores is highly rated because if you want paradise - they will deliver you paradise. Don't get me wrong ... paradise will cost you a premium - but its a premium you will be delighted to spend. I was able to book a four day stay on their 1 bedroom premier suite with the private balcony & Jacuzzi. This was my first trip to Boracay & I felt I might need some help. So before I arrived, I requested for a staff to be my main contact person incase if I needed assistance or I have questions or if I need to make some special arrangements. Discovery Shores readily provided me with one & I was so happy that I did. It was Mr. Gubala that offered his services to me & he even gave me his personal cellphone number. On the day of my arrival, my flight to Caticlan Airport got diverted to Kalibu due to some aircraft overshooting the runway. All diverted passengers had to wait on which flight we can be squeezed in - so the only thing I can do was update Mr. Gubala on which flight I would finally be accommodated in. Arriving in Kalibu added another 2 hour trip to get to the resort - but Mr.Gubala took care of everything ... and I mean everything. The moment I arrived there - there was already a staff looking for me & an air conditioned van waiting for me and my party. We did not wait for any other guest - as soon as our baggages were secured, we left. Same thing at the seaport - we did not wait, the boat left as soon as we were seated. A guest commented on this forum about getting wet - lol, if you have $2 - you won't get wet & not even sand on your shoes ... a staff carried me over his shoulders for 15 meters on a low tide to get me to the boat. When we arrived at Discovery Shores - refreshments were already waiting & more staff to greet us. More snacks when we got to the room (btw no dieting in DS pls) & Jay our personal greeter gave us a quick tour of the resort & an orientation on what our suite had to offer. So about Discovery Shores - if you think the resort looks great on the website - wait until you get there ... you'll be taking more pictures, I can assure you that.
Station 1 location - I think DS got the best spot. Discovery Shores will redefine your expectations for beach settings, you'll greatly enjoy - the crystal clear waters, the white luscious sands & staff ready to spoil you. About the food - take the guess work out of it & let the waiter order for you (I basically ordered what they recommended). Homer, our waiter at the Indigo restaurant - suggested the "Golden Crusted Seabass" - it will be among the best seafood you'll ever taste in your life. I wanted to try a private romantic dinner setting with my friends - Jonell at the front desk suggested why not use my private balcony patio to full effect. They will charge you extra but they will be able set the candles, tables & provide you with a private waiter so the services at the Indigo can be brought to your room. Marvin, our private waiter, I also basically let him order for us. World-class dining is all I can say for the ambiance, the food & the quality of service. But to top everything else (I thought the dining experience was already tops) when I got the bill to sign for the dinner - Marvin, happily told me that on behalf of DS management they waived the dining set up charges & the private waiter fee because they just found out that in an hour or two it will be my birthday. WOW - just simply wow, I don't know how they found out but they did. I was deeply moved, so I still wrote in the charges & gave it as an extra tip to Marvin for his excellent service. Going the extra mile I guess is a habit among the staff here. On 2 incidents I told housekeeping no need to clean my room because it was hardly messed up - they'll smile & say yes - but as soon as your not in your room & they have a reason to go in (like setting the private dinning & the other, I wanted my bag returned to my room) - there's like a Special-Op housekeeping unit that will rush & tidy up your room anyway. For my birthday at 2AM in the morning - I just wanted to be at the beach, enjoying the sea breeze, the stars, a couple drinks & my MP3 player for music to keep me company. At that time, I swear if you have someone you love with you - the place can produce magic !!! The beach was well secured even at that time of the day - you can easily see the security officers at a distance. I reserved & paid for a 4 day stay but I had to cut my trip a day short due to an unforeseen family emergency. Guess what DS did? They understood my situation & did not charge me the 4th night. That's a business management with a heart if you asked me. So for my experiences - that pretty much closed the deal for me ... that when I will be in Boracay - there's no other place to stay but Discovery Shores. The staff has hands down earned the 6th Star for Discovery Shores.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends