“Excellent Place to Stay!”

Discovery Shores Boracay
Ranked #5 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Darwin, Australia
“Excellent Place to Stay!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hotel is a perfect place to base your self when staying in Boracay. It's at the quiet end of the beach so you can walk out with being hassled by people selling stuff. Its a short walk along the beach to restaurants and all the nightlife attractions of Boracay. The rooms are quite large and the amenities are great. The beds are huge and so comfy! The breakfast buffet was great, huge selection of freshly cooked omelets, pancakes, and waffles. If i returned to Boracay i would stay at this hotel again.
Try the Mochacolada at the beach bar! So delicious!

Room Tip: Get a pool side room!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dewith87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is our second stay at Discoverys and its right after Yolanda (typhoon).

Nothing has changed as infrastructure goes. They haven’t done anything new in the last two years since being here.

We previously stayed in a junior suite right next to the pool and we thought that location was excellent. This time we stayed in a 2 bedroom premier room and it was magnificent! There were tons of room, plenty for 5 adults and 1 child. There were two bedrooms 3 bathrooms. The two en-suites have baths in them and the third bathroom only has a shower.

But then reality kicked in when we had to walk down to the beach. There are stairs, and lots of them. There is an elevator but unfortunately it was not working and even if it was working it was only going to eliminate a quarter of the stairs.

Last time I stayed here I could not fault the service, but this time it has changed dramatically. It could have been because of the typhoon and that’s why I put up with it. The complimentary foot wash that we were all looking forward too took forever to get there. I ended up calling them to see when they were coming to give us the wash as we wanted to go and get lunch and enjoy the few minutes of sun left. Finally it arrived after about 15 minutes of the phone call.

While we were there I noticed that they were lacking in pool and beach towels. I stood around for a while dripping wet waiting for someone to hand me a towel or anyone that I could ask one for, but there was on none. This happened a few times.

There was an incident that we were not too happy about. My uncle, who is a Filipino, was with us and my husband had noticed that although the staff would bow and greet us they would not do the same to my uncle. My husband on the second or third day had to have a talk to management about this and it was rectified. Although it mended it had put a damper to our stay and had made me rethink about my opinion of Discoverys.

We did not like the food here at all. It was pricey and not at all very versatile. There are plenty of Filipino foods which I liked but was very pricey and other dishes were not very nice at all. I think they may need to rethink their menu. I liked the fact that you could order the exact same things in your room that you could sitting on the beach, pool or restaurant.

The breakfast has changed for the better though. The last time we were here there wasn’t much variety to the food but this time the menu changed daily but still kept the staples eg, breads, eggs, noodles and cereals.

In total I love Boracay, but I’m not sure if maybe next time I should try another resort. I guess time will tell.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank aprad140303
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel makes me proud to be Filipino. The staff was amazingly humble, generous and classy. My beautiful girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was a magical experience. The beach was the best among the entire White Sand stretch. The beach side pampering was amazing. Rex was the best beach side host. Bee Jay was the kindest breakfast waiter. We absolutely loved our stay. I so much miss the hospitality.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Fernando B
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 3 lovely unforgettable nights at the Discovey Shore. The best part of this resort is that it has only few rooms compared to humongo resorts so the facilities are well maintained and restaurants and the pool/beach aren't crowded. Staff is friendly, always smiling and hard working. We stayed at a room with a fabulous view of the ocean. Once we arrived, there were snacks and beverages prepared in the room and a nice lady came to give us relaxing foot baths. One thing I remember is that when I was lying beside the beach the hotel staff came to clean my sunglasses ! Also if you order food while at the beach they prepare a romantic table for you on the sand right beside the water. Dinner buffet on the last night is complimentary. The theme of the buffet changes everynight, I had Australian which was quite tasty. Breakfast is also high quality but not much variety. Again, I hate crowded hotel breakfasts but you can have a quiet relaxing breakfast here. The structure of the resort is unique; entire resort is on 2 levels of ground, the beach and restaurants on the lower level and some rooms on the upper level surrounded by lovely garden and fountain. The hotel`s complimentary van takes you and picks you up whenever and wherever you want to go on the island. The massages at the resort spa is expensive and ok quality. Also their private boat picks you up and takes you to the mainland which is very convenient. Overall I highly recommend this hotel for a quiet relaxing luxurius vacation at Boracay!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 나랑 홍
Sparta, Greece
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Would highly reccommend...we had a fantastic stay in a beautiful location. Service was excellent. Loved it and would go back. Rooms were beautiful and setvice great. What a nice place to visit. We loved the really nice older gentleman at the front desk, he went above and beyond to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank mllj03
Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Let me start by saying that I should have listened to my wife on this one. Secondly, I am about as country as anyone can be so it is not hard to me impress me! My wife insisted that we book Shangri-La and me being on the frugal side when I booked decided to go with Discovery Shores. Discovery Shores is just okay, but it is nothing like Shangri-La!!! It is like comparing prime cut steak to spam...just no comparison. My buddy listened to his wife and booked Shangri-La... needless to say we spent all of our time at Shangri-La and only used Discovery Shores for sleeping. For what you get between the two...the price difference should be more significant. Discovery Shores is overpriced in my opinion. The main differences: Shangri-La has elevators to your room...Discovery has stairs(not good after a few drinks). Shangri-la has too many pools to count....Discovery has 1...When you enter Shangri-La...you are completely WOWED by the experience...(the layout of Shangi-la absolutely Breathtaking) the staff and the measure of securtity....ABSOLUTELY NO WOW FACTOR AT DISCOVERY SHORES....The room was not at all warm or inviting..it was not cozy and we felt like the blinds offered very little privacy and let in too much light.(easy for peekers to see in). Oh yeah my buddy had a tub and shower and we had a shower only.Breakfast buffett was below average! Only 1 reason in my opinion when you would choose Discovery Shores over Shangri-la: and that is that your only concern is that you want to be close to all the action and not have to use the shuttle to get where u need to go. So if you are just partying..then go to Discovery Shores...Don't make the same mistake I did!

Room Tip: no tips to offer
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Timothy H
Taguig City, Philippines
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Loved our stay in Discovery. Compared to Shangrila, Discovery's location makes it a notch better. With the white beach just a few steps away really makes a lot of difference. Ice cone and pastry available all morning side pool is a big come-on and high up there in likeability for children. Rooms are cleaned twice a day. Sweets and cookies are replenished everyday in your room. Shuttle is available any hour. Call for pick up wherever you are. We went to Regency to see the tunnel aquarium not at par with Hk or Sing or Us ocean parks bt its in Bora so that will do. We were there and picked up by Discovery van. Will definitely go back

• Stayed October 2013