Discovery Shores Boracay
Ranked #5 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My first time to Boracay and I came with my 13 yr old daughter. Our flight to Caticlan was canceled and we had to take another plane to Kalibo. Do not fly to Kalibo, 90 minute bus ride on a road with a lot of curves. Not the hotels fault but I called the resort when I found out and they had someone meet me in Kalibo to let my know the staff would be waiting in Caticlan. They were and that was nice because it was 10pm. They hired a boat to bring us across the bay. They had a shuttle bring us to the hotel. They had a welcome drink as we arrived, walked us to the room and checked us in the suite. Great service the entire 3 night stay. Room service was good, we both enjoyed breakfast in the outdoor café each morning. My only complaint was that there were a lot of flies, they need to work on this. We loved staying at the resort and lounges on the beach. The attendants were great, good service and watched our stuff while we went in the water. They helped arrange a 2 hour snorkeling trip on day for us which was fun. We took the shuttle each night to the D mall for supplies and dinner. The room was very nice but I thought the couch was not that comfortable. The Wifi was hit and miss, driving my daughter nuts! They need to work on this. Out on the beach the wifi worked better! We would stay again but it is pricey so I wonder what the difference is if we paid half that price as most resorts were charging? You are paying for great service and they did deliver.

1  Thank Jim K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,387)

Reviewed October 18, 2013

As our package includes boat & land transfers to/from Caticlan airport, I have tried to check with Discovery Shores if they can accommodate transfer from Caticlan on different days as we stayed in 2 other hotels in Boracay before we come to Discovery Shores. But unfortunately we were turned down as they can only stick to the transfer dates during our stay in Discovery Shores.

Felt disappointed initially as the charges at Discovery Shores is expensive and we expect top notch service, however my experience became a pleasant one when I arrived. Was greeted with a nice pandan juice as welcome drink and a welcome lace (exclusively by Discovery Shores). One of the staff requested for my credit card and charged PHP2500. According to him, this amount is "blocked" in my credit card and will be refunded after check out. Hopefully I do not get a shock with my credit card bill next month.

As we arrived before check in time, they brought us to an area near the breakfast restaurant to rest while they get the suite ready for us. We then ventured into the children's play room where there are toys and cartoons available for the kids. When the suite is ready, the polite staffs then brought us up to the suite with our luggage already there waiting for us. The suite was modern looking and is relatively big, and the bed was very comfortable, very clean and A/C working very well. The room can actually accomodate up to 5 adults as it comes with 2 queen sized beds with an additional sofa-bed like area.

We were again greeted with welcome drink (pandan juice), welcome snacks (cakes and pastries nicely decorated), and a in-suite food massage. The room comes with complimentary wifi, with relatively good speeds. Magazines and books are available in the room if you feel bored. The suite also comes with coffee maker and TWININGS tea. One of the staffs delivered complimentary snacks to our room during late afternoon which is a nice touch.

Discovery Shores had complimentary in house van transfers to/from Discovery Shores to Station 1 to Station 3. This was very useful for guests who needed to travel around for food/shopping since Station 1 is a more quiet area as compared to Station 2.

Swimming pool is quite small but had a mini bar by the pool for guests to relax and have a drink while you swim. The swimming pool was also water heated with a jacuzzi right beside it. Breakfast variety is good.

Discovery Shores has their own in house lounge where u can laze around and relax for the whole day. The beach area is relatively quiet and have a sense of privacy for their guests.

After checking out from Discovery Shores, we were transferred to Caticlan with Discovery Shores in house high speed boat. You get what you pay for.. Service is top notch and I will come back again

1  Thank Babyface8887
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We’ve just returned from a 5 nights stay at this resort. It was our 4th visit to Boracay in as many years and thought we'd splurge more than usual for our 'babymoon'.

Overall, the experience was inconsistent. Things were often over-the-top, or lacking and for a supposed 5* resort (with high price tag to boot), it's just not good enough.

Booking/payment before arrival - we have NEVER had to prepay hotel accommodation before. Didn't like that. The requests for copies of ID etc was also too much. Their website online payment seemed to only work with Internet Explorer browser, after trying several times before getting it to work.

Rooms - modern, clean, spacious. Private balcony overlooking pool was nice. Coffee machine supplied but quality of coffee was not good. Shower area should have a non-slip mat (husband fell over on soapy tiles and now has large bruise). Free desserts and cookies on arrival, and evening turn down sweets were appreciated.

Beach area - we liked the double sized lounges. There were plenty for guests to enjoy. Beach attendants periodically offered free canapes, jugs of iced water and sunglasses cleaning. It was nice how the security guards brought sand toys out for the young kids to enjoy. They also made it feel safe to leave belongings on lounges while paddling in the ocean. On less windy days, we were able to put up umbrellas to protect us from the sun. Some relaxing background music played throughout the day and its a great spot to watch the sunset. Jigs (beach attendant) was very good at his job.

Amenities - kids club, pool table, swimming pool, Jacuzzi and gym available. I did not use the spa services as no prenatal massage was advertised.

Drinks/bar - 4pm - 7pm happy hour was good as local bottle beers, mojitos and some others were 2 for 1. Pregnant ladies/non drinkers are recommended to try the (generously sized) mango (or other) fruit shakes made with fresh fruit, which are similar to a daquiri, but with no booze :) Some barmen kept the bottle beers fridge too cold and several beers froze over (thus undrinkable) when lime was added.

Service - people were friendly, but the millions of "hello sir/maam" and "my pleasure sir/maam" (with hand always held over their heart! ) each day was too much and made us feel awkward.

Food - The head chef really needs to scale down the al-a-carte menu! They're trying hard to cater for all nationalities palates and the list is extensive. However, as we found quite often, many items listed on the menu were in fact "not available". In one sitting, my husband and I had to re-order 3x as what we'd requested was again, "not available." Quality is better than quantity and the kitchen should always have ingredients on hand if it's listed on the menu!!

Breakfast buffet was included but a mixed bag. Pancakes, noodle soup and fresh cooked egg stations were good. Dairy products (cheese, milk, yoghurt) were placed on a glass shelf above (not in) ice, so were not as cold as they should be. Fruit and cold cut meats the same.

Transfers - before arrival, we were told our flight was arriving at Kalibo, not Caticlan and we'd have to pay extra. This was untrue and the staff had not read our forwarded itinerary correctly.Not a good first impression! Thankfully, this was amended before our arrival. A car picked us up from airport but we had to wait 20 mins+ for the resort boat to collect us from pier. There was an awkward (formal and unnecessary) announcement by a boat attendant before we were given cold towels, cookies and water. The departure transfer was a different experience. It was speedy but no water or other freebies were offered despite it being hot in the boat and airport. We also felt it unnecessary, awkward and over-the-top to have someone do the airport check-in for us and to have them walk us through security just so we found the Discovery Shores guest "lounge" OK. We're capable of doing this ourselves, thanks! The airport "lounge" is just a separate room to wait in, with a tv and sofas. That's it. No water, coffee, newspapers or other nice treats to end the discovery shores experience.

It was a nice few days in the sun, but don't think we'll return to Discovery Shores because of its inconsistency, and high price tag, for what we'd rate as a 3.5* resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kam2350
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Ohmygosh! This is what heaven must be like! DISCOVERY SHORES BORACAY IS THE PLATINUM EXPERIENCE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Very friendly employees who speak English well. Very educated. (I chatted with a lot of the staff here and they are top notch graduates of Hotel & Restaurant Management programs of universities and colleges in the Philippines!)

Where do I begin?
1) Complimentary foot massage as soon as you arrive in your hotel room. HEAVEN! (Please tip well. Our massage therapist was a college educated woman who was sending money to her family in the province.)

2) Filipino mangoes in your room at all times! Fat kid in me was doing the happy dance! You haven't tasted real mangoes until you've eaten Filipino mangoes. The American "Mexican" mango is nothing compared to these!

3) You are greeted with a smile and a hello/good morning by EVERY EMPLOYEE you meet! (Please be polite and give a nod or a smile also. I saw a lot of Korean, Chinese, and Filipino guests who treated employees here with disrespect. They are very nice people! No need for your elitist and [--] attitudes.)

4) Complementary snacks at 10AM (I was poolside and was treated to a delish plantain with brown sugar) and at 4PM (Filipino sweets like bibingka, rice cakes, etc.).

5) Breakfast buffet consisted of Filipino and American food. DELICIOUS! Service was top notch! (Again, please tip well. The service here was superb!)

6) Super duper duper duper clean hotel rooms! I just could not stop gushing about how clean they kept the place.

7) Lounging chairs by the beach and they even offer cleaning of sunglasses while you are lounging on the beach chairs!

We got to know a lot of the staff and their stories (college educated, sent money to family in the provinces, would want to work in an international hotel someday, etc.). It felt like they were family by the end of our trip.

Highly recommended! Clean place, safe, friendly staff, customer services was top notch. Other Filipino businesses should get a lesson from the people here about customer service.

HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HAZELoftheNORTH
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Reception : attitude of the staff at the reception was bad, particularly Donna and Aurora who don't even look at you when you talk to them to request for service. The only one who has a decent attitude is Anton. Found out later from Spa staff that there was no Hotel Manager managing the hotel on the spot. A new Hotel Manager called Ms Seng is expected to arrive sometime later - but this is no excuse for poor service and bad attitude.

Spa : the place was operated badly.
(1) don't know what they put into the bottles of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. Shower gel and shampoo don't lather. Also noticed they diluted the content with water - what for?? So ultimately ask for those cheap and rough amenities from the hotel room as an alternative.
(2) no cream or lotion available for application after shower.
(3) The receptionist Dominique didn't provide any service except on request. So I had to ask for bathrobe, large and small towels, slippers etc. Shouldn't a professionally run Spa have all of these ready for the Guests without asking? No wonder no one is frequenting the place. While Dominique's attitude was fine, but she gave the impression she was just out of college and knows nothing about Spa Service standard.
(4) the rain forest shower head was broken and water splashed out 360 degree. So if you don't want to wet your hair, you get wet anyway.
Complained to the Spa manager Mavis Muni, and she told me that she is in the midst of changing supplier?? Why doesn't she at least go and get some decent shampoo & conditioner, and body wash from the supermarket? Afterall, I paid an arm and leg (4x the normal rate outside the hotel) for the massage I ordered. So asked for a discount for the sub-level service, and was granted.
(5) It's also very strange that no massager staff come to work even when the Spa is supposed to be open by 11 pm. When I arrived, Dominique tried to re-schedule for 2 pm as she told me that's when the massagers come to work. I refused and then she got me one in 30 min. I have never seen any massager coming to work NOT in accordance with Spa opening time. It's like the restaurant is opened but he Chef will not be back until after lunch. So what's the point of opening for business when key staff aren't back?
Fortunately, the massager Annie was really good with the firm grip and flowing movements to ease any muscle pain.

Went back for another massage the next day due to bad weather, but this time Annie was not available (gone to team building was the excuse). I told Dominique to get me a massager with same experience and technique as Annie and I will do a 1 hour first. If I liked the massager, then I will extend to another hour. After waiting for 30 min, she got me one who didn't seem to know any massage techniques except for rubbing oil. Stopped her after 5 min and requested a change. Waited for another 30 min. During the waiting I often went to the reception to look for service (there is no phone to call reception) and no one was there despite there was no other guest except me.

The second one was noted to be very inexperienced and learned that she was only 20 years old. I asked for the Spa Manager again but I was told she also went to "team building" - which I believe is just an excuse for no show. Anyway I tried to teach this 2nd massager a bit on how to massage the muscles the way I wanted and she tried to accommodate. So despite she is not ideal, I let her do one hour instead of walking out immediately. However, she doesn't keep time and there is no clock in the room. After a while, I asked her to stop as I felt the time was a bit long for an hour and she told me it was OK.

However, when I checked out, Dominique was no where to be seen and a girl Dona over charged me for 2 hours and using normal rate despite it's still the same lousy amenities they provided yesterday. Apparantly, Dominique did not communicate with her that I was just ordering 1 hour first and I had to give authorization for the massager to continue to for another hour. I requested Dona to get the Spa Manager on the phone or the Hotel Manager or anyone with authority running the hotel - ie someone with authority and can reason out so that I could make my complaint. Dona then finally found someone to get authorization for adjustment for the poor service. However, Dona's attitude was the worse I have seen working in any hotel besides her stupidity.

I guess the unpleasant experience was due to NO Manager running the hotel which resulted in the staff doing a half-hearted job, providing bad service and come to work at any time they like. So that explains why there were no Guest except me in the Spa for the 2 days I was there. If Annie the Massager wasn't good, I wouldn't even have gone back the next day. But apparantly with no business, this hotel will send the best staff on training rather than to have them serve guests.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank SleepingBeauty8000
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Shores Boracay, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear SleepingBeauty8000,

On behalf of the management of Discovery Shores Boracay and Terra Wellness Spa, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences that you mentioned in this post. You are very right to call our attention to it. I We have conducted an investigation regarding the concerns you raised about our Front Desk and Spa associates and will re-train the team about our service standards.

As for the issues you have raised concerning the spa. I am now working closely with Terra Wellness management to ensure that these are rectified immediately including working on getting new shampoo, conditioner, bath wash amenities as well as the availability of bath robes and slippers.

Once again, we are very sorry for not being able to fulfil our promise of a pleasurable experience. Please know that this is more of an exception, rather than the rule for Discovery Shores Boracay. It is my wish that this will not permanently mar your impression of our team and our service at Discovery Shores Boracay which is known for maintaining high levels of guest satisfaction.

Yours sincerely,

Seng Teodoro
Resort Manager

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at discovery for 1 week in October 2013 with our 2 children. I have never seen service like this before, the staff are great! From the moment we arrived we were greeted with foot massages, and 2 complementary cocktails. They also have child minding services available too. The complementry bus to town and surrounding areas was very handy. Nothing was too much trouble, the staff knew what you wanted/needed and were quick to provide. Would difinitely stay again. Thank you discovery shores for our memorable experience. See you at some point in the future!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We booked a 2 bedroom suite for 4D 3N for 5 of us. Staff was helpful and courteous. We were given a room on the 1st floor and requested for a higher level for a better view of the ocean. They moved us to 2nd level but after sometime, we found the air conditioning in one of the rooms not working and asked for them to service it. We were later informed that they required few hours to repair the air con and suggested that we moved back to level 1 which we eventually did. The staff are really helpful with moving our stuff up and down and re-arranging the extra bed without showing any unhappiness for the trouble given to them. Service is good overall, complimentary desserts and bottled waters in room everyday. Rooms are clean and spacious.Had dinner at Indigo Restaurant and certain dishes are only average, would recommend to explore restaurants at D'Mall which is good and cheap. Hotel Breakfast is good with selections of breads, hot dishes and juices.
Hotel provide free shuttle till 11 pm which is really convenient. Only setback is the electricity which was cutoff for 10 mins or so around 5.30-6 am in the morning for 2 days and was rather disruptive! Try to book sea activities from outside vendors which charge cheaper than the resort. Overall, will still recommend to stay here for great service, location and nice beaches just right in front.

Room Tip: Request for 2nd level with unblock Ocean view for 2 bedroom suites. Try not to have a room near comm...