“Discover that Shangri La has much more to offer”

Discovery Shores Boracay
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Discovery Shores has quite a bit going for it looking at it from a distance or from a walk down the beach, but once you compare this hotel to the Shangri La there is NO comparison. The Shang makes the Discovery look like a run down motel compared to the beautiful Shangri La, where even the pricing is comparable.

We were picked up quickly at the hotel and after taking a 10 min van ride, 5 min boat ride, we were whisked away to Discovery. Five star hotels (which this used to be, but should be given a 3.5 now) is all about the details. The reception offers you wet towels and a cold drink upon arrival and then quickly leaves leaving you with your hands full and wondering "where do I put this?" Sounds frivolous but that's a tip of the iceberg. Rooms are quite nice and spacious. This is the redeeming factor of this property.

Beach area is well kept, but the property itself seems to had better days, suffering from poor construction and inadequate drainage. Our last day there we experienced water everywhere.

Food was less than desirable. You can get much better meals at Aria where D Mall is. The breakfast buffet was a five on a scale of 1-10.

The pool was nice, but nothing special.

Again for the money, go visit Shangri La. Much better value for your money. This property is listed as a Small Leading Hotel, which I have no doubt used to be, but should be reviewed by the association once again. Not in my book. .

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank pposte

Reviewed September 19, 2013

everything is just perfect from food,accomodation,service,the view!i will definetely stay here for my next honeymoon!:) the kids enjoyed their stay here..to add up security here is very strict so you will be happy to know your very safe here especially if you have kids travelling with you.
I would like to say thank you to all the staff for being so warm and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kyle M
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here to celebrate my birthday. Upon arrival @ Caticlan airport the world class service started. The hotel staff gave us something small cloth just to freshen up .Our travel from airport to hotel was very smooth.Upon arrival they gave us "pandan water" which we love very much.The hotel staff, amenities and location were great. Very quiet and relaxing place.

Quite expensive but worthy to stay. Definitely we will come back here.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel. Although the hotel itself had great service and the amenities were very comfortable, nearly 4 weeks after my stay I received a strange email from the hotel management notifying me that they were charging my credit card a cancellation fee because booking.com was forcing the hotel to do so. Realizing that this was an obvious mistake, as I had never cancelled my room at the hotel and in fact had stayed an additional night, I notified the hotel that this must have been a mistake and they should not in fact be charging a cancellation fee. The hotel acknowledged this fact, but just a few days later the HOTEL (not booking.com) charged my visa card a cancellation fee. I found this odd for two reasons, 1) I had never used my visa card at the hotel only amex and 2) the hotel had confirmed only days earlier that they would not be charging me the erroneous cancellation fee. I believe that there must be some type of credit card fraud or scam going on this hotel, so please be careful while using your credit card. The hotel has not returned my money and I had to contact visa fraud bureau. All emails I received from the hotel were official accounts from the hotel domain and not false accounts. Be careful staying here!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank ozera83
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I spent the weekend with some friends at Discovery Shores. We got a great deal at booking.com so it made the trip all the more fun. From the time you go down from your plane (even before you get your luggage) until you board it again, the good people of Discovery Shores are always there to assist with almost everything.

The three (3) of us stayed in (1) one room (with extra charge for 1 person). Its very nice and clean. In all of the three (3) nights we stayed there, there's always the thoughtful snack waiting for us in the afternoon.

I mostly stayed in the room but my friends enjoyed the happy hours with sumptuous treats for the guests that almost made them full for dinner.

The daily breakfast is good enough for brunch.

Although the hotel is a bit old, it is very well-maintained.

But the real gem of this hotel are the staff that will really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable in your stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angel J
Reviewed September 10, 2013

It's been a year since I stayed in Discovery Shores. It was my cousin who convinced me to stay here since I go to Boracay a lot. I told her, it's way too expensive for my budget. And then she said, just try for a couple of nights then you tell me.

I was smiling the whole time I was there, the sheets were soft, the room was very spacious and I can even dance zumba in our living room! Usually, I go out clubbing on night time to see what's poppin' but with the service they offer to their guests and the Jacuzzi right outside your terrace, you just can't go out anymore. It sure is a paradise. Food was good but not the best. I can say breakfast was the best I had there and it's also included in your accomodation. Try to have the fish and chips and their chorizo and potato with egg on their platitos menu. That order was really good.

Room Tip: Request for the one with the Jacuzzi, add a few more bucks and you'll have your own. :)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissButterLover
Reviewed September 6, 2013

From start to finish, staff was very accommodating. Rooms were amazing even though ours was the Junior Suite (2 adults, 1 child). Stayed there during the habagat (south-west monsoon winds) which made waves on the beach (lucky for me and my son, we liked that) having experienced a more calm white sand beach in the province. The hotel shuttle service was quite the experience seeing that they will take you to the other side of the island (with the water sports were) in a heartbeat. Overall it was a relaxing place, just didn't like the famous D'Mall it being so crowded. I would recommend staying over the weekdays so that the hotel is not so busy vs the weekends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family