“Service? What service?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Boracay
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Service? What service?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

My daughter and I got in to the resort at a bit before 11 am this morning. The transfer from the airport was painless and we were warmly welcomed with Pandang water and cold refreshing towels on arrival. Our Guest Relations executive then took us to the bar by the beach. He said the normal check in time in 2pm but there are some guests who are about to check out and we should get our room soon. So we waited. And we waited. And we waited. And we asked. But our room was ready only at 1.50. Now I understand that it is not always possible to accommodate all early check ins, but if they had only told us we would have gone to D'Mall or something. We were just forced to wait in clothes totally unsuitable to the beach.
We had lunch at the sands restaurant and it was awful!!
Anyway we go into our room, which is lovely (even though it doesnt have sea-view, apparently very few right at the back have some views) and the room is all set up for the welcome massage. There is a welcome note with instructions laid out with some complementary snacks. And the note is in RUSSIAN!!! Hello!!! You have our passports. You know we are not russian!
After a comfy snooze we leave the room at about 5 putting up the refresh our room sign. Now we come back, and the breeze has turned the sign to Do Not Disturb and there is a note under the door saying we couldnt clean your room because of the DND sign!!! And to top that our keys wouldnt work. We had to trudge all the way back and get them reprogrammed.
The property is very nice in a modern sort of way. Station 1 is close enough to all the action and yet is quiet and peaceful. But I dont know about the so-called fab service. Maybe I got them on the wrong day.
Very disappointing Day 1.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank zulupronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was really looking forward to our delayed summer holiday in Boracay last July. Instead of staying at the Shangri-la Boracay as was our wont, I was convinced by a friend to try Discovery Shores instead since its location was less isolated. At first it seemed okay. We arrived on the first flight from Manila and were allotted a "freshening-up" room which we could use until our rooms were available. Our original room was located over the hills and far away. Upon our request, we were relocated nearer the beach and we even had a jacuzzi on the terrace. One of the managers overheard a conversation between myself and my husband about how we chose Discovery Shores over Shangri-la Boracay. He expressed his pleasure and sent over a free pitcher of margaritas. The food was so-so, and so was the spa. The toiletries were generic. What really stuck in my gut was that Discovery Shores charged us a lot more than Shangri-la Boracay offered. At first the service seemed so promising, especially on our first day. When we checked out, we were left to fend for ourselves. No one at the front desk was particularly interested to assist us in bringing our luggage from reception all the way to the back where we would be collected for the trip to the airport. We were left to fend for ourselves. The package which we got included breakfast aside from another free meal, which we did not always avail of. On our last day, we opted to have lunch there since it would take some time before we reached Caticlan airport. Although we arrived first, we were served last. Despite repeated reminders that we had a flight to catch, the wait staff just didn't care. It really seemed to me that they were only interested in getting our money and once they had done that, they couldn't wait to boot us out. Discovery Shores cannot even compare to Shangri-la. From the moment you are fetched from the airport to the moment you check out and are driven back to the airport, you are completely pampered in Shangri-la. For the prices they charge, they should top the level of service and attention that Shangri-la offers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank DramaQueenFlip
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Like what the other reviewers mentioned, this hotel excels because of its service. Yes there are some very nice touches in the rooms like the pandan water, little snacks and free foot massage upon arrival. However, for the price you pay, I really expected more. They're about the same price level as Shangrila Boracay, and yet they fall short on some aspects that I feel should be perfect for the price they give you - for instance, breakfast buffet was very mediocre and food at the hotel in general was not very good, in my opinion. I've stayed at shangrila boracay and their breakfast spread (and food in general) was amazing. I didnt find their bed to be very comfortable - a bit too hard for my liking - again, unlike in Shangrila. The only downside of shangrila boracay, really, is their beach. Its not as fine and white as the beach in station 1. I mean, overall our stay was good, but I do have to say that maybe, just maybe, this hotel is a tiny bit overrated.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank KizoLove
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Boracay numerous times and stayed in different resorts over the past 15 years, at least. But over the past 5 years, my family and I keep going "home" to Discovery Shores. The service is simply the best! The staff make it a point for you to feel welcome - from the welcome drink, the foot bath, the welcome banner, the GM's msg, to the family photo in a frame from our previous stay! My 3 yr old son even got a personal welcome back note that came with a toy. -- All these and more at our arrival at the resort during our last visit! The food choices are excellent. Although there really are only a few restaurants, you can tell that the F&B team continues to make their menus up to date for their guests. The children also have a lot of things in store for them - aside from enjoying the beach and the pool, there are different kids activities scheduled every 4PM where they can have fun making pizza, creating Christmas ornaments (we were there during the season), etc. There are so many more things I'd like to share regarding my experience at Discovery Shores but I'm sure that the guests have different good stories to tell as well -- so I'd say, better stay there to experience what true Filipino hospitality is like and to really feel that you are on vacation.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family stayed 4 nights at this amazing resort in the lead up to Christmas 2012 and loved every moment we were there. We booked a 1-bedroom Premier suite

The setting itself is amazing, Boracay, especially Station 1 (quieter area of White Beach) is simply gorgeous. To complement the beauty of the water and sand is the Discovery Shores experience; which I have to say is without fault.

Firstly, on the lead up to our stay, we had to make changes to our booking and pick up and this was dealt with by Discovery Shores efficiently and quickly. They were a pleasure to deal with (the opposite to our experience with the air carrier (Cebu Pacific) that took us to and from Boracay - avoid Cebu Pacific - they are hopeless!).

Secondly, on arrival from the airport, we were treated as VIPs, escorted from the airport via a van to the dock, escorted onto a boat (short boat ride) which then took us to Boracay and then another van with another escort which took us on the short drive to the resort where the guest relations officer was waiting for us, as well as a welcome drink (pandan water = nice) and cold towels to cool us down. We were then taken directly to our room where the check-in happened. No lines, no having to go to the lobby - the in room check-in experience, especially after a travel, was a fabulous experience. To top this off, as soon as the guest relations officer completed our check-in, the doorbell rang; it was housekeeping, there to give us complimentary feet washing and massage! Now that's 5 star treatment!

Thirdly, during our stay, the 5 star treatment continued. We were doted on the whole time, service was fantastic:
1) The pool and beach butlers spoilt us with constant refreshments (including complimentary snacks etc throughout the day) but also they cleaned your sunnies, sprayed Evian water on your face when sunbathing to cool you down and tidied your towels and belongings while you're swimming.
2) The turn-down service was great, with little touches such as a different towel sculpture of an animal every night, a card with a fantastic quote left on your bed with the same saying also on the TV, a mat that says good night left by your bed and little snacks left in the dining area. Every night, we looked forward to seeing what the turn-down service had in store for us!
3) Every staff you walk pass greets with with a smile. You felt so welcome while you were there. But also they go out of their way to help, such as when they say that my 9 year old daughter was getting her own food from the buffet breakfast, one of the staff held her plate while she made her choices.

Basically, your needs were anticipated by the staff, yet offered so much more than you expect.

Finally, at check-out, again hassle free, including the transfers to the airport. To and from our rooms, not once did we have to carry our own luggage, and we were escorted the whole time which made the transfer experience seamless.

Food: best food we had was at Indigo - fine-dining by the beach. A must-try. Buffet breakfast had more than ample of choice.

The resort facilities and amenities itself was great, but the 1%s leaves the wow factor here and makes it world class.

Discovery Shores is now one of my favourite resorts, and we plan to come back!

Other tips:
- Discovery Shores offer free drop off and pick up at Station 2, D*Mall and other places. You just need to call them. But if you want to catch a motor-tricycle around, it should only be P100 per person. They will try to charge you more, say no and give your price.
- There are plenty of hawkers walking by the beach, selling you hats, trinkets and island activities such as parasailing, jet skiing etc. We used Diamond Water Sports, they were very reliable and safe! Parasailing cost us P3500 for 4 of us (2 adults & 2 kids), when initially they were charging us that for 1 person. It's worth haggling here.

Room Tip: Get the Premier rooms, they were HUGE, had a jacuzzi on a balcony overlooking the water - its worth...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank J0hannaA
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Resident Manager at Discovery Shores Boracay, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear JohannaA,

Many thanks for your wonderful review! We are truly glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We always strive to make every guest experience exceptional, and for you to express your appreciation in a public forum such as Tripadvisor is a great start to our 2013. I will share this post with the staff who I know will be truly delighted.

We look forward to your return,

Leeds Trompeta
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I were newly weds when we stayed here for four nights. From the shuttle service at the airport all the way to our room was very professional. Staff are overly friendly and very kind. Every one smiles. We witnessed 3 weddings at this resort and also met many foriegn guests. The room service and food is 10 out of 10. The location is picture perfect! the room (Jnr Suite) was better than anticipated. I had to ask staff to make sure that they didnt upgrade us as it was huge. shower and bed were extra comfy. Must stay at this place when comign to Borocay.

Room Tip: Use their spa services. Staff are amazing
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LovetoTravel121235
Dear LovetoTravel121235,

Thank you very much for your post. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our resort.
We always strive to make every guest experience a memorable one so it makes us happy to receive feedback such as yours. We trust that you will return to Boracay and choose Discovery Shores.

Warm regards,

Leeds Trompeta
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Discovery Shores was, from start to finish, an absolute pleasure.

There are a couple of small niggles that one could point to in order to find some form of constructive criticism (the room service food is not great - or at least the dishes we ordered were not, the wifi system is a little rococo and the mojitos are too strong!) but in truth the overall picture is of a comfortable, luxurious, relaxing hotel with one of the best locations in Boracay (the Shang is also wonderful, but is a very different and more secluded place) and, quite honestly, one of the best staff I have ever come across.

Having stayed in some of the worlds best hotels etc etc, what makes Discovery stand out for me is not only the level of service, but the impression that that service is genuinely rendered with sincere warmth and care; something that, especially in Europe, is quite rare. Perhaps this will not matter to all, but for me, it made the visit particularly enjoyable and helped ensure the atmosphere of the hotel was especially pleasant.

A particular mention should go (as I see others have pointed out) to Jigs and Bengie - both of whom epitomise what is special about this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple