“Mama'a Fish House - very disappointing”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay
Ranked #21 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed in Diniwid beach for 2 weeks at a hotel next to the Microtel, so we decided to try their restaurant Mama's Fish House. It took a while for us to get the waitress' attention to order, but when we did, we ordered the signature "fish burrito" and a couple other items. 10 minutes after placing the order, the waitress came back and informed us that the burrito was unavailable because they had no "dough". We chose another item- a grilled mahi mahi. Another 5 minutes went by and she returned to say that it was also unavailable. So, we chose a grilled tuna. A few minutes later, the waitress returned to say that that particular item would take about 45 minutes to prepare (presumably because it was frozen and needed to defrost - fresh tuna never takes 45 minutes to grill)...but at this point there wasnt much else on the menu that appealed (or was available) and we had been sat there for about 30 minutes already trying to order, so we stuck with it.

The two meals themselves were ok (I had chicken adobo and my partner had the tuna - overcooked, but the sauce was nice), but when it came time for dessert, I ordered the coco-banana-peanut shake. 10 minutes later (right about the time i thought the shake would arrive), the waitress returned from the bar (which was about 15 feet from our table) to say there were no bananas. Frustrated but trying to be flexible, I suggested they substitute mango for the banana. A few minutes later she's back saying that there were no peanuts. At this point, I gave up on the shake and decided to go for the brownies - and asked the waitress specifically BEFORE she disappeared if these were indeed available. She confirmed they were. 10 minutes later, a different waitress came to our table to say that the brownies were not available, and the only dessert available was ice cream. I went for vanilla. Later, our original waitress returns to say that actually, there is no ice cream, but were were welcome to go into the lobby of the hotel to purchase an ice cream bar from the machine there. Completely frustrated, we left and had dessert elsewhere.

I can understand that occasionally restaurants run out of certain items (as a hotel and restaurant owner myself), but what is unacceptable is the complete lack of communication between the kitchen staff and the wait staff and the subsequent communication with the customers (it should never take 30 minutes to place an order) ... AND it turns out that our experience was not unique - we had friends staying at the Microtel for a week around the same time and they said that every day they ate there, 10-20% of the menu was unavailable. This is not the fault of the wait staff - this indicates poor kitchen and inventory management.

Our initial experience at Mama's was so bad, we had to believe it was a one-off, so we went back a couple days later for lunch. The fish burrito had only the most tiny sliver of fish in it (and yet was the same price as the proper portion of tuna we'd had previously) and the caesar salad was laughable: the lettuce (which was not romaine, but I can forgive that) was dripping wet (presumably it had not been dried or spun after washing), so the tiny amount of dressing dissolved into a pool of flavourless cloudy water at the bottom of the plate. The "croutons" had not been fried or toasted - they were simply small squares of wheat sandwich bread that had gone stale. The parmesan cheese was nonexistant.

We had similar experiences on other occasions when meeting our friends who were staying there for drinks /snacks (drinks ordered but given to other guests, fried calamari that took and hour to appear, and the elusive "coco-banana-peanut" shake that I'd wanted the first night turned out to be a typo on the menu, because when I finally managed to get one a week later, it was not "coco" as in coconut, it was chocolate-banana-peanut....which is confusing because they do have a "choco shake" on the menu)

The sad thing is, the location of the restaurant is lovely and it has so much potential to be a good, solid choice, but management seriously needs to review their purchasing and inventory control as well as need to improve information flow between the kitchen and staff. Why not have a meeting before service so the chefs can tell the wait staff what is not available that night?....that would have saved us 30 minutes of frustration that first night alone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fassia
microtel-boracay, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for writing your recent review. We really appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us.
We have noted your comments regarding our restaurant concessionaire, Mama's Fish House, and rest assure that these valid concerns will be acted upon immediately and corrective actions taken.
Again, we truly hope that this unfortunate and sad experience, you and your friends had with our restaurant concessionaire, will not deter you from coming back in Diniwid Beach and welcoming you in Microtel Boracay!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Location is remote. Roundtrip pickup from Caticlan airport to hotel costs $20 each and includes full service guide which was worth it cause we were rookies with small children.

Shuttle available from 8am to midnight but I did not have a phone or a watch so I tricycled. Reserving a Tricycle (120cc motorcycle sidecar) costs P100($2.50) to DMall.. pricey for one but you can cram up to 6 more clowns. If you walk 10 minutes to the main road you can share a tricycle with the locals for P10($0.25) each.

It is possible to walk the beach to the other stations but you have to traverse a gorgeous cliff. Hold on to the rope and prepare to get wet! Bring a flashlight at night the cliff is spooky romantic.

Diniwid beach is cleaner than the other stations with less people. The cliffs and boulders shelter you from the masses. Service was awesome. WiFi was good. Several mompop stores outside the hotel have the basics. Laundry is a 5 min walk down the road cheap, takes about 12 hours to get your stuff back perfectly folded. They even washed my bag and folded it too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your review. We are happy to hear of your great experience and that you appreciate our location along Diniwid Beach. We look forward to welcoming you all back in Microtel Boracay!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Believe me, I want to give this wonderful place a big 5 rating. But I chose not to because I can see potential improvement which will make this place better than those pricey resorts.

Transportation. Everything was well arranged by the resort, from arrival to departure. Guys who are escorting you are very friendly and nice. The hotel can also arrange transportation (van) for you if you need to go to other area of the island to explore or dine. Great thing was they were always on time - the true Filipino time. =)

Reception and room service. Nice local made necklace and frozen iced tea will welcome you on your firs step in the resort. They even prepare a cake, balloons and sung a happy birthday for our moms (my mom and my mom-in-law celebrating birthday on the exact date). World class service baby! I am very proud of you guys and you can see foreigner were really enjoying their stay and often chatting with the resort staffs. However..... we will talk about this later.

Rooms. We got two connecting rooms. Everything was ok and clean. Wifi signal was good. I just wish they will have fridge in the future. I think the best room still are those beachfront.

Pool. I'm not sure how often they are cleaning the pool. But during our visit, it does need one. But who cares? I am here for the sands and beach.

Beach. Fine sands. Beautiful. Stunning. Perfect. Oh my!

Activities. Island activities include island hopping, glass bottom boating, snorkeling, diving, para-sailing, banana boat ride, and many more. You can also rent segway, motorbike or ATV to explore the island. My tip: plan and arrange it as early as possible with those agents and make sure to get all the details. Ask for discount if more people are participating. You can arrange the activities with the resort or to other agents waiting in the beach area

Restaurant. The food is great. Porkchop and Chicken curry are remarkable. Breakfast are per set. I prefer buffet during breakfast even if I add few more bucks. You can also explore other resto outside to try other dishes.

However... Ok this is it. I was very jealous how the resto staff are treating those foreigner compare to us, their fellow countrymen. Come on guys. Fair treatment for everyone. I am not expecting better service because I am a local but at least give us the same service,same smile and same attitude you are doing with our foreign visitors. Do I need to dye my hair to get these? I address this to your staff in the restaurant, not everyone but there is one or two. Konting lambing din naman sa kapwa Pinoy. =)

Overall, this a great place and will recommend this to my friends: local and foreign.

Room Tip: Beach front are the best.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SeanArcher21

Thank you very much for your generous and enthusiastic review!

We truly value your experience with us and rest assure that your concerns with our restaurant concessionaire will be addressed, and corrective actions taken.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Microtel Boracay and celebrating your mom and mom-in-law birthday again!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We had dinner at Mama's Fishouse in Microtel Boracay last November 27, 2012. We ordered for melted cheese sandwich, chicken satay and grilled porkchop. I would say the food is great! and portions are large. I like the bread they used for my sandwich; wheat bread which is a healthier choice. The french fries are huge (but it tastes bitter maybe because it was overcooked). Although it was my beau who ordered the porkchop, I can see that it's succulent.The chicken satay with peanut sauce was just perfect! I also tried their watermelon shake. It tastes heavenly! The restaurant is in proximity to the hotel's pool (which makes it a more pleasant sight with all the underwater lights on and the full moon above) and the beach. We really had a wonderful time. We enjoyed the music, the food, and ambiance. The staff are courteous, attentive and pleasant.The hotel's branch manager was very nice to personally welcome us. I have attached some photos for all of you to see.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AnnDMD
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've read up on reviews of Microtel Boracay prior to my trip and was expecting average service and experience. This was due to the following highlighted items by most reviewers: location and accessibility.

Some intro tidbits
We were welcomed by a Microtel staff from Caticlan Port (Kuya Dante). He was very alert and quick on his feet. He made the first part of our journey to Boracay so easy by carrying all our stuff and never making us wait for more than 5 minutes. Everything was a breeze from Caticlan Port. Upon arriving at Boracay Island, we took a 15 minute shuttle ride to the hotel. I've been to Boracay before and was able to identify that Microtel was indeed a tad bit far away from the Boracay hustle and bustle. We were welcomed by Security Guards of the hotel who were nice enough to open the doors for us. At the reception, we were given shell necklaces and a glass of iced tea slush for welcome drinks. We weren't able to check in immediately though since we came a little earlier than expected and the room wasn't ready yet.

The Room
We got the suite facing the pool. I'd be bold in saying that it was the best room in the hotel given its size and accessibility to the beach,pool,and restaurant. I wouldn't consider staying in any other room in Microtel should we decide to come back next year. The room was large enough to fit the 4 of us. My mom and cousin had to sleep on the sofa bed. We initially thought that the sofa bed wouldn't be big enough for the two of them given the size of my mother and well, it was just a sofa bed. But it was nice to see that the sofa bed was actually a queen size bed. The room had its own microwave and fridge. Perfect for my mom who was too lazy to go out and too stingy to eat out. The toilet was regular. It had the necessities. Nothing fantastic. Although, if someone from Microtel is reading this, I would suggest doing some intense cleaning on the the bath tub. There were mat markings on the tub that weren't too nice to see and definitely uninviting. But again, for the price we're paying, a dirty tub is last on our mind. For the room, compared with its rate, I'd give it 4/5.

The Service
There are a lot of aspects of the service that I'd like to comment on:
1.) Transportation
- As I've said on the first part of the review, Kuya Dante has set the tone of how transportation service of Microtel is run. And boy are we satisfied with it. They have these shuttle services going to and from D'Mall every 40 minutes. In order to get the time you want, you need to schedule your service at least 20 minutes prior to your chosen time. We did exactly as told and found it very convenient to move around Boracay. Contrary to comments about the shuttle trip taking 20 mins, my timer only clocked in 10-15 minutes at most. Perhaps the time of day and season has something to do with it but I think Boracay is less crowded in November than it is on April. So that could affect travel time. I'd also like to comment on how the shuttle service is NEVER a second later than the expected time. It would however be earlier than expected. But we never had a problem with catching the shuttle service since we were very compliant with the expected pick up times. 5/5

2.)Restaurant
- The restaurant staff are very warm and personable. They are also quick on their feet and take the time to familiarize with their guests. I'd like to make special mention of the restaurant staff we got to know closely during our trip: Miel, Febe, and Pearl. 4/5

3.) Hotel
- We got daily upkeep of our room which is very important for me. I like things kept clean and in order even on holiday. They were also very generous in lending us beach towels. The male staff and guards are also very accommodating to guests who request for beach beds right on the beach. The male staff would have to carry the beach beds from the pool to the beach everytime they guest would need it. I also like how the guards extend their duty beyond ensuring our security. They are also in charge of making sure guests who schedule their trips are fetched from their rooms or somewhere on the beach when it's time to go. 4/5

Overall: 4.5/5

Room Tip: get the suite room on the first floor (101/102). These are the rooms facing the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MhejIsrael
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We weren't sure we would like Boracay at all - not being keen on big, busy tourist areas. But the Microtel was great - Diniwid Beach is perfect with only a handful of small hotels and great swimming. The hotel is excellent value for the money, nice room, very comfortable beds, good food, super-friendly staff. And it you want it, the north end of White Beach is less than 10 minutes walk away. We chose to stay longer than we originally planned!

Room Tip: Try to avoid even-numbered rooms 20 or higher - there are roosters that live next door and the rooms...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glenn22
microtel-boracay, Resident Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to share here in TripAdvisor your recent experience with us. Our team is happy to hear that you appreciate the privacy and value of our location in Diniwid Beach. We are grateful that you chose to extend your 4-nights stay with us and thank you for your over-all perfect ratings.

We look forward to welcoming you and your guest back in Microtel Boracay!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I like the fact that they allowed early check-in. Breakfast was decent. Bathroom needs some improvement. This is one place where you get what you paid for--but probably a notch higher than those resort/hotels at the main area on the same price category.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
microtel-boracay, Resident Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Our team appreciates a honest review and high recommendation from TripAdvisor's Senior Reviewer like yourself. Your feedback is valuable to us in creating an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

We know you have a choice in hotels and we are delighted that you chose ours. We hope to see you again in Microtel Boracay!