“Boracay”

Ranked #90 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Cebu Island, Philippines
“Boracay”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We stayed in Boracay and we were completely satisfied. The best thing about our stay there was the food. All meals provided were buffet style, so we really had a great time enjoying every meal that they serve. I also loved La Carmela’s location, since it’s along the beach area. Although it’s a little far from the market and the small mall in Boracay.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank cedriclucero

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed at la carmela for 3days and 2nights. we choose the executive room(inclusion of airport-hotel-airport transfer) . since we are 8 in the group. we booked for 2rooms. luckily they gave us the connecting rooms. As we arrived at la carmela, we are asked to settle the payment and while waiting they served us a free drinks. After we settle our payment, they help us bring our baggage to our room. Our room was nice, clean and spacious. It has a two double size bed, a television with cable, aircon, refrigerator and a terrace.

the hotel location was great, it is located at station 2 near restaurants and bars. all in all our stay in la carmela was great. will definitely recommand this place to others

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sadnesz
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed February 22, 2011

reservation was no sweat, we had a standard room good for 4 pax at a very cheap price. nice location, it's in station 2 near the bars, restaurants etc. breakfast is so-so, but no worries since there are restaurants near. all in all our stay was great and we were greatly taken cared of =) I would be definitely staying there again on my 3rd visit in Boracay =)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank graceycute09
Okaya, Japan
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Booked the hotel before reading all the reviews, so was expecting the worst.
Luckily we had booked one of the VIP/Family rooms, which was on the 3rd floor.
It was pretty big, quiet, and had a bit of a balcony which got sun, so was good for drying stuff out.
Everything worked, except we seemed to run out of hot water pretty quickly.
Bathroom was big, though looking a bit old now.
Food was average.
Staff were generally helpful, security seemed ok, and we were able to check in and out quickly.
Biggest surprise was that they had absolutely no tourist information about the island, and neither did the tourist info center two doors down. Recommend you pick brochures and stuff up at the boat terminals.
Having the pool right next to the beach is pretty nice though, and it really is in a pretty convenient location.
Based on all the bad reviews, we actually shortened our stay here to 2 nights before we left (without penalty, thanks to Asia Travel!) and moved over to the Boracay Holiday Resort. It was cheaper and a bit newer and cleaner, but lacking some of the amenities and the bathroom was much smaller, so tricky with kids.
All in all ,I would say you get what you pay for, but the La Carmela is a bit of a gamble, because as many people have said, half of the rooms are facing a big, grey ugly wall, and get no sun. The other side is not bad, but if something else is open, probably better to pay a little bit extra to be sure of a nice stay if you have reasonable expectations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Longyearbyen, Norway
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Our family, 25 people in all, stayed in Boracay at Christmastime 2009, not March 2010 which was the earliest option here, and experienced that La Carmela was far from what we believed when we booked the travel. Fortunately we got local help to move to another and much better hotel, but this local person who helped us experienced a mafia-like persuit from the La Carmela people, in addition to that La Carmela didn't refund the excess of what we had paied in advance. The amount that La Carmela refuced to refund was more than PHP 155,000. I filed a complain to the local branch of the Department of Tourism , but they didn't do any thing else than forward my complain to La Carmela, which didn,t bother to answer.
I will advise anyone, who is stupid enough to book there, not to pay anything in advance, because if they do and regret the mistake to stay there, the money are lost.
Here is the content of the letter I sent to the local branch of DOT and I have posted the pictures that I included in the letter to DOT:

To whom it may concern and the DOT branch at Boracay.

As I understand, a person which helped us finding a vacant hotel in Boracay during our stay at Christmas time 2009, are experiencing problem now by doing so. The La Carmela is trying to avenge them self on this innocent person that didn’t anything else than help someone that needed a hotel, which, what I understand, also is a part of his job. We would have moved from La Carmela even without his help. We would then either have seek help from others or made the research our self.
It is obvious that La Carmela is a hotel that one has to stay away from and that they now are using mafia methods to prosecute any that help someone moving from there, when they discover that booking at La Carmela was a mistake and also by doing that trying to scare anyone else from doing the same. We heard rumours that there had been a couple of persons from La Carmela at the Boracay Holiday Resort asking questions about who had helped us to move, but we could not dream of that they would make a revenge on him.

The Story in a nutshell:
When we, total 25 persons, arrived at La Carmela Hotel on Saturday des.19. 2009, we started to experience that this hotel wasn’t what we expected when we booked and paid in full by internet and email. The first thing we noticed was that the area between the reception and the pool/beach area smelled urine like at poorly cleaned public toilet and the air condition in the rooms was making noise like diesel engines. Since I was really tired after the travel, I managed to fall asleep that night, but my wife didn’t sleep much.
The day after the arrival, when we, from after breakfast-time, were visiting some friends from Norway, who currently was living close to Caticlan, we told our friends there about the first experience with La Carmela. They told us that they knew some people in the tourist business that might help us, if we decided to find another accommodation. We didn’t think that it was possible to find any, since it was in the high season and we were 25 persons that would need a new accommodation then. Anyway, we got the number to contact, just in case. We also got some brochures they had laying, since they also planned to stay in Boracay later after New Year.
When we came back to Boracay and La Carmela later that afternoon, we discovered that thing was even worse than we first had seen. I was going to brush my teeth when I discovered that there was growing some plant out of the overflow hole in the sink in our VIP-bathroom and there was no hot water. We then decided that enough was enough, and contacted that person which we was recommended and asked if he could assist us finding a hotel that had that number of proper, available rooms we needed. We showed him also the brochure from Boracay Holiday Resort, which we had got from our friends, and asked if he could show us where it was and also if he could investigate if they had enough vacant rooms to accommodate all of us. At the resort we was showed the rooms and also told that they had available rooms enough. Then this helpful person took us to another hotel so we would have an option to choose from. After coming back to the hotel we had a discussion and everybody told that they preferred to move from La Carmela, if possible. We then contacted the staff at La Carmela and asked for the hotel manager and why we wanted to talk to him. First they said that it wasn’t possible to talk to him before the day after, but when we said that we was going to leave the hotel immediately that evening - as soon as we had booked another hotel, the manager eventually showed up. When he arrived our room, the toilet in this VIP-room was become clogged and the flush water didn’t stop flowing so the bathroom floor was flooded with the contents from the toilet.
The manager at La Carmela offered us better room at the Executive part of the hotel, but since we now have had so much negative experience with the hotel - in such a short time, and also that some of the other rooms he offered also had a substandard and some was directly dangerous for small kids since one of the beds was on a mezzanine with a very low fence, which didn’t give any protection against falling down to the main floor, we decided to check out of the hotel immediately anyway. He told us that if we did so, there would be no refund of the payment we already had made. I told him that if they didn’t refund a reasonable part of what we had paid, I would file a case against the hotel and also warn others through internet against staying there. He said that he would talk to the owner, which currently was in China, about the matter the following day. I said then that this was ok and that I would drop by next afternoon to hear the result of that talk.
The day after I met the manager again, but he had no positive news about their will to refund my excess money, I told him then that they now had a week to change their mind before I filed a case against the hotel and begin to post warnings at the internet. And I told him also that it now was up to them to contact me, as they knew which hotel we had moved to. During the rest of our stay at Boracay they didn’t make any attempt to contact me, and the day before we left I send them a mail where I repeated my threat about filing a lawsuit against the hotel and that I would send them a final claim when we arrived back home, And at the des.28. I send them the claim. None of those emails have ever been replied. Under you will find a copy of my last mail to them, but first some of the pictures from the “VIP-room” at La Carmela. Imagine how the standard rooms was :-(

Regards

Kjell M. Roseth

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
15 Thank Miner9175

Travelers are raving about these Boracay hotels

davao
Reviewed January 31, 2011

my mom booked la carmela coz its the only hotel that fits our budget. we read negative comments but we are going to boracay to experience the beach and not the hotel. but to our surprise.... it's not bad afterall. the rooms are huge and clean. there's a ref, a heater and a bathtub in the bathroom. the 2 pools are a plus and the beach is less than a minute away. our accomodation comes with a free set breakfast just enough to start the day. we are now planning our next trip to boracay and we will again stay at la carmela.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank laaggirl
Michigan
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Pay the extra and get a room with a view. The interior rooms with no window are dingy and depressing. The all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast was great and very tasty. The pool is very nice and the beach is just a short walk away. As opposed to other reviewers I was always greeted by the staff and they were helpful when requests were made of them. The availability of many different excursions from touts and booths along the beach road made planning activities easy. The touts weren't too pushy and a simple no to their entreaties was sufficient. Lots of shops for purchasing souveniers and the many restaurants and beach side dining places made it difficult to decide where to eat your next meal. Prices were reasonable. Don't be too disappointed if one of your flights is to or from the newer airport an hour or so away. The drive is very pleasant and the scenery marvelous but the availability of the airport just minutes away from the boats to Boracay should make you request at least one leg of the trip from Cataclan.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends