“SO DISAPPOINTED!!!!!”

La Carmela de Boracay
Ranked #106 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I knew from my partner that this place was owned by a local TV star. That's one of the reasons why we chose La Carmela... Besides the hotel has a pool and has direct access to the beach (boat station 2) so we thought it was the perfect location for some successful & relaxing holidays during the "off peak season".

We were so disappointed when we got there!!!! First, everything there at Boat Station 2 looks so commercial & damn crowded...even in July!!!

Second, it took us forever to check in and we were the only ones at reception at that time... You need to comply with the so strict check in procedures and sign tons of documents. Our room was pre-paid though but we still had to leave a cash deposit and a credit card as a guarantee... but for what???? There was not even a minibar in the room located in the Executive Wing of the hotel!!!
While checking the validity of our credit card, we were asked to wait patiently in the lobby area...

I would call our room a basic one. The hallway is not at all appealing. The floor was dirty most of the time. And the white walls look kind of depressing!!! The Executive room we booked was overlooking the electric wires on the side street. The table on the balcony seemed not to have been cleaned for ages. But the worse part of it is that their lousy & noisy aircon system kept us from sleeping all night long!!

We had our first dinner at the pool area. The meal was great & the staff professional but what they don't tell you is that there are some construction work nearby due to extension of the hotel... even in the late evening!!!!
Imagine having dinner or swimming in a crowded place surrounded by noise!!!!
Our holiday there in Boracay was a disaster...

Breakfast is served between 06:30 & 10:30 but they tell you in advance at reception that if you arrive after 10:00am, there is not much left to eat... and that's for real!!!
The breakfast room is crammed and not a lot to choose from, especially for vegetarians.
All told, their buffet bkf is poor : Toasts, eggs, rice, corned beef, tocino, canned fruit salad and that was about it!!!
No croissants, no (chocolate)buns, no (pan)cakes, no cereals, no marmalade, no veggies...

NOTE : the funny thing is that Boy Abunda (the famous TV star) is advertising for "CORNED BEEF"... Maybe he gets it FREE for hotel guests at la Carmela!!!!

For breakfast though, there are plenty of nice places nearby at a reasonable price. Our favorite one was Casa Del Pilar.

The wifi connection at La Carmela was not working while we were there... and this has added some more anger & frustration to us.

Once again, Casa del Pilar saved us with their delicious breakfast menus & free wifi connection.

We once experienced their Room Service at night and it was nice.

All things considered, La Carmela is not worth the price they charge...even via internet.
Maybe we chose the wrong part of the island. Boat station 2 is great for those who like crowded commercial places near the center of things (night life, restaurants, shops etc...) But, honestly, there is nothing genuine or authentic there!!!
We made our stay at La Carmela shorter (3 nights instead of 4) and spent the rest of our trip in The Visayas at Bacolod Palmas Del Mar. A real 4 star resort located in a gorgeous setting far away from the crowd...

If we were gonna go back to Boracay, we would definitely choose a place like Puka Beach, Bulabog Beach or even Ilig Iligan Beach far away from mass tourism!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eryoblue
Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed June 24, 2010

Trust me. If you want to have a miserable time.. Stay here. There standard rooms are dark, dirty and miserable. I actually could have put up with that if it were'nt for the incessent pounding that starts at 7am and goes till 7pm. They have been doing construction on their hotel and claim that that there is noting they can do about the noise. Its truly intolerable and according to the hotel staff they have been working on this project for months with months more to go. Finally insisted being upgraded to there Executive Wing. This Executive Wing is a lot more expensive but the only difference is some cheap wooden molding on the wall. The a/c does work, there is zero view, this place is horrible. The food is attrocious and they make you pay cash at the restaurant. You are not allowed to charge anything to your room despite giving them a credit card on file. They hare about $2.50 an hour for wi/fi and their pool is crammed with little kids all of whom I am certain are peeing merrily away in the water. This place is billed to be where the rich and famous Pinoy's come to hang out but I certainly didnt see any. This truly was a terrible experience and some of you may just go ahead anyway and stay here... All I can say to you is good luck... I would rather tent it on the beach. In a word... THIS PLACE SUCKS.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank almostexpat
Reviewed April 29, 2010

My girlfriend and I had a good stay in La Carmela de Boracay last 25-27 April, 2010 during our Boracay trip. The room we got in their executive wing was affordable, elegant, and spacious. The resort offers amenities such as swimming pool (though it's about 10 meters away from the beach), jacuzzi, and restaurant. Food was nice though we just tried the breakfast they served. It also has free wi-fi that is fast enough to check emails, etc. The resort is also located near souvenir shops, nightlife bars, other restaurants, which makes it an ideal place to stay. I will definitely be staying here next time we go to Boracay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keithshernandez
Reviewed April 24, 2010

After so many weeks of deliberation, it was finally decided, why not try La Carmela De Boracay. So my cousin reserved a room, 3 days and 2 nights. We arrived around 8am, we were struggling with our luggages but the staff just stood there staring at us, they seem to be doing nothing just stood there like dead trees. I think they wanted all their guests to be celebrities in order to show off how accommodating they could be. At the front desk, we were told that the room we reserved is not yet available until 2pm (which is their check-out time). I dunno what is wrong with the lady, she can only respond to a question at a time, never anticipating client's needs. So my uncle asked her if there is somewhere we can leave our bags. She pointed out to an area, which is located under a stairway, quite dark, and damp! Wow, I'm not sure if it was also safe to leave our things there since it seemed accessible to anyone. Anyway, we were tired and hungry so we had no choice but to leave them there. We sat at the lobby for a while, then headed out sightseeing while waiting for the available room. We went back around noon, got our room. This time at least 3 persons helped carry our bags...nice turn from the early morning brush off. Yahooo! : P
Other things that you should be aware about: 1.) the Wi-Fi is not free. We were told that you have to go to the restaurant at the front to access the internet, uh-oh! 2.) hot water may not work in your bathroom. We have to call room service to send someone to fix it. 3.) phone lines don't work sometimes. Happened at least three times, cannot contact front desk and room service. 4.) Elevator adjacent to the dining area was out of service one morning, so we had to use the stairs. It was all right to use the stairs, but they could have at least put a sign that the lift was out of service. 5.) STYRO in my orange juice! Now, this one I hate the most! On our final morning, I was supposed to drink my juice when I noticed something round and white floating along with the ice. I thought it was just sugar. I fished out the white thing with my spoon, took a closer look...it definitely was a styrofoam, most probably came from the icebox where they store the ice. We pointed it out to the food server, and kindly asked for a replacement. Kitchen staff should be more careful next time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I was so discouraged when I read the previous reviews in this site but couldn't do anything anymore since we had already paid for out stay. I was really hoping that not all the reviews were true and was determined to keep an open mind when I got there.

Staff were okay until our room phone conked out. I went to the front desk and asked nicely if they could fix it, the girl at the front desk said she'd send someone over to fix it. Lo and behold, the phone was busted until our day of departure. Talk about customer service. I kept on asking them if they could fix it and all I got was "okay ma'am". sheesh!

There's also something very wrong with the floor. It moistens up sooooooooo much to the point where you need to wipe it with the foot rug every once in a while...either that or take the risk of slipping and banging your knee/head on the bed.

Fridge in the room wasn't working either and gave out a musty, yucky odor. gah!

Oh and if ever you'll be needing a doctor during your stay, don't believe them that they have an in-house doctor. THEY DO NOT HAVE ONE. They just call a doctor from a clinic at talipapa (who charges 200pesos if you go directly to their clinic, which is 3-5 minutes away) La carmela will charge and ask you to pay 1,000 pesos first before the doctor can see you. So yeah, if your having an anaphylactic shock at their resort, better be ready with your 1,000 pesos before La Carmela calls a doctor. Hooray for the best customer service ever.

If I could give this resort a zero star, I would gladly do so.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank silverblack
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Stayed in La Carrmela for 3 nights and 4 days. The entire family had great time! The hotel staff were friendly and courteous. Service was prompt and done with smiling staffs.
You should try their Loft rooms at the executive wing, it's perfect for a family of 5-7 pax as well as groups. Where can you find a hotel where the owner himself is overseeing the hotel's day to tday operations just to ensure everything is A- Okay!? Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank WatertiGeR_23
Reviewed March 11, 2010

The front desk clerks were helpful, friendly and the rooms were clean. This hotel is known for their budget-friendly rooms. Breakfast buffet was good and delicious..
they have accessible pool...

For guests who expect to pay little, this is a good hotel with a pool and great view of the beach front. Easy access to anything and everything.

Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple