“An average place to stay in boracay”

La Carmela de Boracay
Ranked #90 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
“An average place to stay in boracay”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

La carmela is situated in station 2 but quite far from d mall. Hotel is clean so as our room, hotel lobby was quite dark though. The hotel was super crowded (I guess since its already summer haha!). We were not able to swim in the pool since its too small considering the number of guests la carmela can accomodate. We were lucky enough to get a 'discounted rate' since it was bundled with our airfare. I'll try staying with a different hotel if ever I have the chance to go back to Boracay.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank karenrenren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tayabas City, Philippines
Reviewed April 10, 2014

so nice, beds are okay and you will feel safe for your things. breakfast is free and people in the hotel good. swimming pool is very near to the hotel and there is life guard that watching you. drinks and food are easy to find.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jin32211
ML A, Manager at La Carmela de Boracay, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your experience during your stay with us. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed our services offered. We look forward to welcoming you again soon here at La Carmela de Boracay.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights here and shared the room with my in-laws. I had nothing to do with the booking so I didn't know what to expect; the only thing I had heard of this hotel is that a lot of Philippine celebrities seem to stay here.
We shared a "Panorama" room in the Executive Wing, which was pretty roomy--a queen sized-bed + a loft with a double bed, and an option to have an extra double bed made up on the floor (all in all, 6 of us fit in the room). The loft option was great because it gave my husband and I some privacy even though we were sharing the room with my in-laws. The best aspects of this hotel would be its location (very near the beachfront in Station 2 where all the 'action' is, if that's your thing) and the pricing (considering that it's currently peak season, we only ended up paying approximately PHP1000/head/night, inclusive of breakfast).
Now for the downsides. It's listed here in TripAdvisor as a three star hotel, but frankly it's a 2.5 star at best. In the first five minutes that we were in the room, we noticed that there were about 5-10 big flies (not fruit flies!) in the room, and that the loft floor was a bit dusty. (To be fair, housekeeping came and took care of the flies and the dust.)
The bathroom gave a good first impression, until my brother-in-law used the shower and realized that the tub plug switch was broken. We had to call housekeeping again, and this time all they told us was that the switch was broken, and they just took out the tub plug by hand and told us to leave it there by the side of the tub. We also had to call housekeeping twice to fix the toilet's flush mechanism. Yikes. This ended up giving us the impression that despite being relatively new (five years old at the most?), the hotel isn't particularly well-maintained.
The hotel also has three wings, with another (fourth) wing under construction. There's a constant stream of people coming and going on the ground floor. Again, if you like being where the action is, this might be your cup of tea, but I prefer quieter, less crowded places. The constant stream of people also gave me the impression that the hotel caters to the mass market more than anything else (thus the celebrity endorsements and bulletin boards lined with photos of local starlets).
The breakfast buffet was okay, nothing to write home about.
If you're going to Boracay to see and be seen, and don't mind average service, this is probably a hotel for you. If you're looking for a quiet, relaxing experience, look elsewhere. (Also--if you're looking for a quiet, relaxing experience, peak season in Boracay is not a good idea, full stop.)

Room Tip: The Panorama rooms have an additional sleeping lofts, good for families or people traveling in small...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank bloodsugar
Thank you for sharing your candid experience with us. We always consider feedback from our guests as we continue to improve our service. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed our services offered. We look forward to welcoming you again soon here at La Carmela.
la
Reviewed April 3, 2014

we stayed 1 week and the best thing about this hotel is its location on the white beach. we stayed in executive deluxe room. the room was nice, quite big, but the bathroom was not very clean. sleep quality was also not very good beacuse of the loud generator close to our room and also construction across the street. i would give this hotel just 2 stars in europe.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holy j
ML A, Manager at La Carmela de Boracay, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your candid experience during your stay with us. We'll take your comments into consideration as we continue improve our guest experience.We hope to welcoming you again on your next Boracay vacation.
Perth
Reviewed April 2, 2014

travelled to Boracay and stayed at La Carmela after brother and sister in law booked accomodation. Having just ome from Bestwestern Plus in makati(manila) and Ace Hotels(Pasig) we arrived and were told we couldnt check in as it wasn't 2pm. After telling them we had just travelled for 3 hours to get there and wished to have a shower and a drink and freshen up, we were shown to 2 standard rooms, when the booking was for a standard and semi deluxe. These rooms were hideous! I appreciate the fact the staff made 2 rooms available for us immediately but they are low quality and very budget. Im not sure how much had been paid for the rooms but i went back to reception and asked for a new room. after being shown to 3 different rooms, i finally settled for V5, it cost an extra 85$AUD each night but was worth it. just above restaurant near the beach i had a balcony over looking the beach with beautiful sunsets every night, palm trees, and always some thing interesting going on outside(right above the main walkway along the beach) La Carmela is by NO MEANS 5 star or 4 star or even 3 star, its a 2.5. The breakfast is appealing, But it is a budget hotel- and if this is what you are after, it will serve the purpose. the pool is nice, the staff are friendly and accommodating. No issues there. I Got engaged at la carmela, so possibly will return at a later date. definately to return to V5 or another room above it overlooking beach - DO NOT BOTHER WITH MAIN BUILDING IF YOU ARE USED TO NICE HOTEL ROOMS. its a shocking experience. pay the extra. Im not sure what kind of room V5 is, but if u are booking- request there, i think its around 7000 PHP a night. maybe the manager can specify the room type. book V5, or the room above. MAGICAL.

Room Tip: room v5. not sure what type of room it was but balcony over looking beach. great to sit there and d...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dwayne B
ML A, Manager at La Carmela de Boracay, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your experience during your stay with us. We are happy to know that you that you enjoyed your stay with us, although you have some points that we may not have meet your expectations with our hotel, overall it was amazing. We look forward to welcoming you again soon here at La Carmela de Boracay. Regards!
Marikina, Philippines
Reviewed April 2, 2014

It's my first time in Boracay and I had a blast with my 2 best friends in the world.

Thank you for arranging a hassle-free trip for us! Your freebies and discounts are amazing - just pure awesome value for money.

La Carmela was a great place to stay in. We had great service and all our needs were attended to quickly.

Special thanks to Bill Marva for providing us with a variety of packages we could choose from.

Thank you for being on call for our questions even during the weekend. I will definitely contact you again for our travel arrangements in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KatCanillas
Thank you for choosing La Carmela de Boracay for your summer vacation and for taking time to share you experience with us. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed our services offered as well as with Travel Online. We look forward in welcoming you here again soon! God Bless!
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I posted feedback on their Facebook page, but instead of addressing the issue, they deleted the post. Here is a copy of the post:

You have BED BUGS.

My family and I stayed at your hotel from Mar 25-27, specifically at Room 221 of the Main Building.

On the morning of the 26th, my son and husband woke up with rashes on their necks and faces. By mid-morning, my son was scratching the rashes like crazy, so we thought to buy some topical itch ointments for him. These did not help, though. By the evening, the rashes were starting to swell, and on the morning of the 27th, before checking out, he looked like he had gone a round with Pacquiao. I talked to your management about it. The officer on duty had us brought to a clinic (The Island Clinic, I believe) where the doctor on-call confirmed that the rashes WERE INDEED A RESULT OF BED BUG BITES. So there is no doubt that your beds and beddings were where we got those from, we didn't stay / sleep anywhere else.

Management took care of the doctor's bills as well as the antihistamine she prescribed for the itching, but we did not get reimbursed for the topical ointments we got for the rashes, eventhough the doctor confirmed that those were the right medicine for the bites, on the grounds of "you can't cover those." I did not ask for a clarification on what that specifically meant as my child was becoming irritable at the time and I just wanted the experience to be over.

More than the non-reimbursement, I did not like how your manager handled the situation. Sure, she thought to send us medical assistance. But as a large group of tourists were checking-in at the time, she seemed a bit hasty to have us brought to the clinic, not out of concern (she didn't even look at my kid,) but perhaps to get rid of me and not have the other guests overhear. I got this impression that she wanted to get rid of us quickly, eventhough I wasn't making a scene and I was considerate enough to lower my voice and spoke with her privately. Moreover, coming back from the clinic, she didn't even ask how my son was and what the doctor said. I HAD TO BE THE ONE TO SEEK HER OUT AND INFORM HER ABOUT THE DOCTOR'S DIAGNOSIS.

I understand that it is nearing super-peak season, but at least take care to air out your beddings, if you don't have the time to properly disinfect them. Thanks to his swollen rashes, which I can't even imagine how itchy they are, instead of having an enjoyable experience, my son was mostly cranky and crying.

For reference, I am also attaching a picture of my son and husband, taken at the very hotel room that we stayed in, swollen face and rashes and all.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Bambi E
ML A, Manager at La Carmela de Boracay, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Ms. Bambi,

The La Carmela de Boracay Resort Hotel Management greatly appreciates every comment or feedback we receive from our valued guests. We want to see which areas of our management need improvements to make sure that we have exceeded, or at least met, their high expectations regarding their stay here in Boracay. The management also makes sure that the health and safety concerns are addressed accordingly and with utmost priority.

Upon knowing the situation your child was in, our front office manager on duty at that time immediately decided to take him to the nearest clinic to seek medical attention. It was never her intention to give you the impression that she was making you leave quickly. We extended full assistance without fully knowing the medical condition of your son because the hotel’s management values the safety of its guests.

The manager was considering your family’s departure time at 1:30PM that day which was the reason why she was in such haste in dealing with your situation. In addition to that, several groups of guests were arriving simultaneously. Prior to leaving the resort, she even handed you the antihistamine prescribed by the doctor.
It has always been and will always be the management’s established rule to send our guests with health concerns to the clinic, regardless if it was the hotel’s fault or not. We express our heartfelt regrets regarding your experience at our hotel. Likewise, we always treat our guests equally and with importance.

Please accept our apologies if the management has made you feel otherwise. Thank you!

Travelers are raving about these Boracay hotels