“La Carmela May 2013 trip” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Carmela de Boracay

You added La Carmela de Boracay to your Saves list
La Carmela de Boracay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station 2, Balabag Boracay Island | Malay Aklan, Aklan Province, Philippines   |
Ranked #102 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Quezon City
“La Carmela May 2013 trip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nothing special about this hotel. It's right smack in the middle of the noisiest part of Boracay - Station 2. So if you are all for budget without any comfort (we had no hot water in the room and they wanted to charge us for ice brought to the room), this is ok. Otherwise, i would gladly pay more for a better hotel.

Our bath tub had molds along the side, the food is ordinary. Quality for money = if you can afford a few hundreds more, go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights along with my family. For me its more of a resort & not a hotel. It is really budget so don't expect to get much as much. For the price you paid i must say it okay. Since it is a budget hotel expect that there is a big crowd esp during the buffet breakfast. The dining hall is really packed. The hall ways are a bit dark & even the rooma. Good thing its beachfront & accesible to the talipapa.

We spend most of our time outside so the hotel is merely for us to sleep & bathe then your money is worth to book a budget friendly resort like this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
manila, philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This budget hotel offers 1st-class service. The front desk staff gave us a hassle-free check in. Iced tea were served upon arrival. Everything was in order. One hitch that I dislike is the delayed housekeeping service. I requested the housekeeping to make up our room before my family left for the beach. Upon return, I still see the hang tag "make up room" in the door knob. It is only when I called the attention of the housekeeper that they started to make up our room. This is the only shortcoming that I noticed. Overall we have a splendid stay in this resort hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank usptowshingtondc
makati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here nov of 2011 at std room at less than 2k for 4 person with bf.. very cheap. There were renovation that time, so its very noisy on our room, we requested to be transferred and grant our request moreover upgraded to deluxe room with out extra charge since is low season.. they also accommodate us for early check in at 9am... the room is enough for 4 person with ref and safety deposit box..The bed, pillow and toilet is not bad. There where even free hot and cold purifed water at the hallway.

So when we go back to Bora on March 2013, we stayed again here but now in std room, this is a little bit bigger to deluxe room with the same room amenities but around 30 meters away from the deluxe room and around 200m from the beach..they change towel and bedding every day...Again they accomodate us for early check for the second time around even it is high season but we waited for about 15mins for they staff to fix the room.

This hotel is for famly with kids since they have pool with life guard.

Set meal during low season is not bad and buffet meal during high season is quite good. Best food still in the TALIPAPA.

Finally, i will recommend this resort, ask for discount, they will grant it...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank engr aileen r
Bridgewater, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Quite a nice stay, even if all we did was collapse there briefly between our three action packed days in Borocay. The room was good, the breakfasts were good, and the service, as is indicative of Philippine hospitality, was outstanding. We spent most of our time in the warm waters of the beach, snorkelling, sightseeing, and buying souvenirs. My fondest memory of La Carmela, as I've recounted all too often time friends, is this: After we unpacked from our arrival, I went to the pool out front for a quick dip and a beer. I ordered a Red Horse (going around the Philippines? Gotta ride the Horse!) from the bartender, leaving my full hundred pesos on the counter. Next time past the bar, I heard, "Sir! Red Horse?" Huh, what..."Why, yes, sure! Salamat! Thank you". And again, left the change from the hundred. This continued whenever I walked past him. It was a great day, from what I recall...That evening, as we went out for a fantastic buffet served right on the beach in the setting sun, I heard a different voice call out, "Sir! Red Horse?' Huh, what? Who are you, and how did you know..."Why, yes, sure! Salamat! Thank you!" And another hundred pesos went no further. It's not always the freshest linens, the cleanest floors, the tastiest cuisine, or even the best ambiance that makes a hotel stay memorable, because La Carmela had all that. No, it's the little things, the simple surprises that always make me look back and smile. If there were any shortcomings, they were washed away by the warm waters of Borocay beach.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Muntinlupa, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The location of the hotel is convenient because it's at the beach front and there are also groceries nearby so getting the rest of your much needed supplies isn't a problem. However, I have to say that the moment we got to the reception area of the hotel, I already got the feeling that our stay would not be pleasant at all. The whole complex felt so claustrophobic, with concrete walls all around. Seems like the developer crammed in as much hotel rooms as they could in such a limited space! They didn't bother allocating more space for landscape or flora to provide a relaxed atmosphere to their guests. Ventilation in the hallways were poor (maybe due to the way they crammed in so much walls and rooms), it was so hot.

While checking in, we were immediately presented by the receptionist all the DON'Ts (and only the DON'Ts). I mean, talk about welcoming guests this way! Then the room we were given really (and I mean really!) smelled old. Although it was clean, they could have made the room smell fresher. The water out the shower and the tap is so difficult to control, you either get cold out of the freezer or scorching hot, nothing in between. The room had cable TV, electronic locker, cabinets, towels and an empty mini fridge (yep, you heard me right, EMPTY). Provisions only included soap and bathroom tissue. The bathroom didn't have a doormat. For the internet, you have to pay for the wifi connection separately (aw come on! I have stayed in much cheaper hotels with free wifi access!).

Accomodations already include buffet breakfast. But the food weren't delicious. My kids love fried rice and scrambled eggs in the morning but in the hotel, maybe the food was really not that good, they refused to finish their food. Even if you were staying in their higher end rooms, you'll be getting the same breakfast fare. My bosses (who were also there and were staying in the best room they had) also didn't like the food and just gave away their breakfast stubs. Even their paid meals weren't good. They were quite expensive for such taste and small portions.

Overall, our stay here was unpleasant (and at times, stressfull). People might say that this is what we get for staying in a budget hotel. But even if you stayed in one of their best rooms, you'll still experience the same congested corridors. As I mentioned, I have already stayed in much cheaper hotels than this one, but with far better experience, so I don't think being a budget hotel justifies what we experienced here. Maybe the biggest factor was the ambience - too much concrete!

Room Tip: There are better cheap accomodations out there than this one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank benrodriguez

Travelers are raving about these Boracay hotels

Quezon City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

If you are on a budget and you came to Boracay mainly for the beach, then this hotel is for you. They have lots of room available but of course it is better to book prior to your trip. It is a few steps from the beachfront, so it is very convenient. They have a cute welcome garden with a mini pool for kids. Once you arrive, they offer drinks to cool you. The room size is just enough. There are actually four of us in a room. The beds are big enough to move around even if you sleep beside your friend or partner. We had a great time at the beach-I mean, it is what we came here for! =)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends