“Better than what I have expected”

La Carmela de Boracay
Ranked #101 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Japan
“Better than what I have expected”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel was not my first choice given the bad reviews that I have read on this site. The only reason why I booked 2 standard rooms was because my first choice was already booked. I was not expecting much at all. Thankfully the whole stay was pleasant.

We arrived early but we got to be checked in at an earlier time than their 2pm check in time. The room was also clean and room service was done everyday. Their staff was also fast in heeding to my request specifically for a hair dryer.

We also requested to give our breakfast orders earlier than their 6am time so that by 6am breakfast would be served immediately for us to catch our early morning flight. Their staff was also helpful enough to call for a tricycle to the port. If every I go back, I will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank anthro_pologo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel itself was not bad. Getting there was a hassle. We had to ride a van from the airport, then take a ferry, then another van. The hotel itself was clean and convenient. It was beach front so, I liked that. We stayed in the back side of the hotel so it was not as noisy as many people have mentioned. I stayed in the executive wing, it was quiet and cozy. The walk was a little further from the beach, but it was a max of 2 mins further... not a big deal if you prefer a quieter sleep. It was super crowded by the front desk tho, just to get our luggage through was difficult because the people would stand around and not want to get out of your way. That was not a good experience, but its not necessarily the hotel's fault either. We did not spend a lot of the time inside the hotel, but when we did, everything was in working order. TV, air con, shower, sink, toilet, all worked nicely. The breakfast buffet was ok, nothing to write home about, but its not terrible. it's edible. I'm sure there are other places much better.
The employees there were kind and helpful. So that made my stay more comfortable. I might stay here again, but I'll check out some other places and compare prices first.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the exec wing. it's a further walk from the front of the hotel/beach, but its...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Candizz
Tagaytay, Philippines
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Bad service and very noisy hotel. Late hours at night you would hear noisy guests at the hallway. Avoid this hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jose j

Travelers are raving about these Boracay hotels

Regina, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We availed of the discounted Ensogo package which included 3d/2n stay last April 18-20, 2012. There were 10 of us in the family including our 80 yr old lola because I wanted her to enjoy the remaining years of her life

(1st offense) We arrived at the hotel after an 8-hour land and sea travel only to find out that they cannot give us a room for that day. They insisted that I did not "coordinate" in their manila office about the reservation and that Ensogo did not advise them of our reservation despite of me showing them Ensogo`s email of confimation for our reservation. My reason for that is I already had the confirmation of reservation (which everybody would think is valid) so I did not bother phone overseas to Manila since I am based in Canada. They were trying to wash their hands by pointing their finger at Ensogo, saying the lack of Ensogo`s coordination with them has caused them this same problem over and over again. They could not accomodate us that time because the hotel was "fully booked" and that they could only arrange to book us for free to 3 different (sub-standard) hotels (if you even call it a hotel!) for our first night, and the second night will be spent in la carmela. Overwhelmed with the long flight, we calmly took the offer thinking we did not have a choice either since it was also a discounted package. Somehow, I did appreciate it that they accompanied us to the different hotels. But, while we were checking out on the last day, we overheard the Manager instructing the front desk officer in their local dialect "We have another guest with an Ensogo voucher, do the same thing, make it 2days and 1 night and book them in another hotel!"

(2nd offense) Our first buffet breakfast was free but the front desk officer only gave us 8 stubs instead of 10. I had reservations for 10 people! They said that the availed promo was good for 4 pax in one room and any excess person is not entitled to a free breakfast. I reasoned out that the promo was paid equally per head and not priced per room so each head should be given each stub. But to no avail, I ended up paying the buffet breakfast of Php220 each for the extra 2 people, secretly, to save my family from being frustrated for the second time. The breakfast was blah not good at all! Php220 was too much for a cheap quality breakfast! On the second day, it was another front desk officer who were giving the breakfast stubs and she gave us 10 stubs. Talking about consistency! Anyhow, at least we were able to save Php440 on the 2nd day.

(3rd offense) On the second day, we were finally accomodated in La Carmela. They provided us two quadruple sharing bedrooms, five adults sharing each bedroom. They knew there were five of us in each room but they never provided extra bed/cot/beddings. We were kind enough to consider them and never complained that the room and beds were too small for five people. We were also afraid to ask for another bed because they might charge us extra for that.

(4th offense) I included during the reservation period that we will be extending our stay for another day and will be paying for the regular rate. When we arrived on our first day, I also reminded them that our reservation was from April 18-21. On the second day we again advised the front desk officer of our plan to extend for another day. Later that night, she texted us that they could not extend us for another day since the hotel is still very full. We approached them, asked for consideration and they promised to put us on the wait list if ever hotel guests will be checking out of the hotel by the next day. On the next day, we noticed that the entire hallway of rooms were almost empty, guests were checking out already so we hurriedly checked on the front desk for any available rooms. Still they were giving us the same answer, nothing available. I wasn`t able to contain the frustration anymore so I tactfully reminded them of the trouble we had experienced with them since day 1, and yet, they never heard even one complaint from us. All we were asking for at that time was an extension of one more day considering the presence of our grandma, the hassle of dragging her from one hotel to another and everything else that we went through. But they were very firm with their decision. We were also firm with our demands this time so as their consideration for us, they have looked through their directory and suggested a few hotels with empty rooms that we could check. They also allowed us to check out at 12 noon to give us spare time to look for another hotel.

(5th offense) We also expected they would be kind enough to let us use their service car to transfer to station 1 but, they told us that the staff will call a tricycle to transport us once we`re ready. Upon checking out we waited for a few more minutes for the tricycle to arrive but then we found out that they forgot to call a tricycle for us. We were overwhelmingly upset and disappointed!

But to top it all of, while we were checking out, we overheard the Manager instructing the front desk officer in their local dialect "We have another guest with an Ensogo voucher, do the same thing, make it 2days and 1 night and book them in another hotel!"

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank rishelle
Manila
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Arrived morning and had buffet bfast @220 pesos or 4-5$ just to be treated with bacon that is so THICK and HARD to CHEW, pork ala cubana, eggs cooked in two ways, bread and thats it. TOTAL RIP OFF. For that amount I would suggest you have seafood bfast in the market @ d talipapa. We had beer in their resto that night and it was very hot NO AIR-CONDITIONING at all. Corkage was just too high. The venue for the conference is just fine. No free WIFI. Bedrooms were just like any ordinary inn nobody cleans it for you on a daily basis. I suggest you go to the next door hotel Villa de Oro, I think it would be much more better.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank entengoreng
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I had reservations in booking this promo package for my kids for their vacation in Boracay. We usually stay in places that were highly recommended by families and friends. We figured let's try this and see how true what 's being advertised by these agencies. To our great and tremendous disappointment, this hotel was a true disaster from beginning to end, and I'm not even exaggerating. The staff are rude and not a pleasant streak in how they talk and deal with their guests. Somehow, I can't fathom how they survive with the attitude and lack of professionalism that were displayed towards, the whole family that booked three bedrooms. The worst dealing was when the kids decided to get some food late at night as they were hungry and they were addressed in a very rude and intimidating manner by the manager of the hotel. When requested to provide a policy which indicated that NO Food can be brought in the premise, nothing was provided. This is a disgrace to the whole tourism of Boracay, since we are promoting to our children to experience being back home to our homeland as opposed to giving their resources to some other countries for vacation. We can certainly say that this has been the worst place ever that we had stayed in Boracay.....We are strongly not recemmending this place to anyone. My family will be leaving here this week with a disgruntle and unpleasant taste of what services you can expect with people who worked for this hotel with no sense of sensitivity and desire to improve the outlook of other filipino young people from other countries.. I guess they really do not need any business from us and they are doing extremely well .... that's a joke! We all know this is not the case! from Toronto, Canada guests who were not satisfied at all!!!! D. Baldago-Ballaret

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank DElijahBallaret
Angeles City, Philippines
Reviewed May 16, 2012

La Carmela is all hype. stayed here with my friends last august 2011. Too bad clients/tourists are blinded by all the media hype and endorsements from celebrities. It's a little bit expensive to consider it as a budget hotel since the service, food and room amenities are blah to say the least. Their breakfast doesn't taste good and checking out takes forever. Restroom is small and their water is not that strong at times. I will not go back here, there are other inns that offer better service, good food and makes your vacation worthwhile.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends