“Decent/affordable choice for a beachfront hotel”

La Carmela de Boracay
Ranked #102 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Chose this hotel mainly due to affordable rates. Hotel is in Station 2 and a leisure walk to Dmall takes around 15 mins. Not a problem if the weather is fine.

Room is large enough considering the affordable room rates. Had a room at the A (attic?) level so the ceiling was slightly sloping at the end of the room. There was no balcony. Room was quite sandy when we first stepped in but i suppose this is normal for a beach resort. There is a high step to the bathroom which makes it slightly non-child friendly. Ask for an extra key card in case you need the refrigerator running for 24 hours per day. I had to throw some food for my infant away since the refrigerator was automatically switched off when i took away the key card from the slot. Staff did not make up room even when the make up room tag was displayed for the whole day. Had to track them down to ask them to clean up the room.

Despite the above, I would still say that the hotel is ok given the rates they charge. Free wifi is available at the restaurant / pool area. Just ask the staff there for the password. Staff at the restaurant were friendly but to be honest i did not find the breakfast spread too appetising. Perhaps i am just not used to PH food.

Overall, just be prepared to get what you pay for. It is still a good option for those on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank EastMeetWest2
There are newer reviews for La Carmela de Boracay

Reviewed December 13, 2011

If you are on a tight budget and would want to burn calories by walking some distance, you can stay here. We decided to stay here because we got discount vouchers so that was okay. The rooms were small but it was not a big deal since we just plan to stay there to sleep. It was inconvenient though because most of the places we went to were in Station 1. If you plan to go to the bars at night, it would be too tiring to walk to the hotel.

1  Thank chilltravel
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Stayed here again ;)

I usually travel in and out the country for business and pleasure. I'm very particular when it comes to bed, bathroom and cleanliness. La Carmela sure pass my taste and budget ;)

If you want hotel standard at a very affordable rate, this is the place. You just need to be smart and avoid that "bad" side (bad reviews).

Certainly, there's a downside to a budget friendly hotel. But if you're smart, you'll see the logic and create solutions to enjoy the hotel and Bora:

1. ROOM: For our second Bora, its a walk-in for us wherein we enjoyed the discount rate. Before we stayed for 4 days, now, it's 5 days and 4 nights for us, still, in their new building which is also called the Executive Wing. Beds are large enough for 2 partners. It's clean and right nice to sleep on.There's a small ref where we can put our drinks. We had enough tables and chairs to put our stuffs.The television is working (with cables).The comfort room have bath tub, hot and cold shower and equipped with the basic toiletries/ dental kits. Now, if you're in the new bldg, it's beside the road. Certainly, you'll see roof and road which I don't mind. Important thing is we can hang our wet clothes to dry for the following day's swimming (Unless you have a budget for an ocean view, then, you can settle there). A plus here is you get to have free water (hot or cold). There's water dispenser in the lobby. What we normally do is request for a hot and cold water up in our room. They gave us 2 pitchers of water ;). Noisy guest? Nope. Guests are educated. Or if there's any, report it to the receptionist. Staff are really friendly and warm.

2. FOOD: Just be positive, for a beachfront hotel with a friendly rate, this is just a plus. enough for you to start your day. There are choices. If you don't like old-time Filipino rice and tocino/ longganisa/ hotdog... you can have bread, and lotsa coffe and juices etc.

3. SWIMMING POOL: It's small and tends to be stinky when there's lotsa kids swimming. Well, we went here for the Boracay beach and not the swimming pool. The pool is a plus factor. Besides, there's a jacuzzi. If you're smart, you'll request the pool attendant to switch on the jacuzzi. We relax there before we retire for the day. Oh, the pool lifeguard is very attentive. He knows who got our Speedo goggles. We got it through his help ;)

4. STAFF & MANAGERS: very unforgettable, very Pinoy, very warm and understanding. They always have a smile on their face and readily respond to our request. Just be understandable during peak hours.

Regarding internet, they have free wifi in the restaurant beside the pool. it's faster there. If you want it in your room, you need to pay.Ei, we're here for a vacation, right?! We usually hangout at the pool area to do internet stuffs, smoke and drink. OMG, I Love their mango shake!!!! It's very refreshing drink with right ice and sweetness. I'm addicted to it.

The hotel as a beachfront is the best. We usually went out our bedroom with our wet suit on (just a towel or a shirt over it). There's lifeguard station there and many people go there. It may get crowded but it's okay, it's fun, its Station 2/3. (For peace and quiet moment, go to Station1). There's also chairs/ beds reserved for La Carmela guests. But I don't usually stay there because we always hit the beach at once or walk around.

Hotel location is one of the best, its near everything. Ask for D'Talipapa. It's like d'Mall but food are cheaper. Besides, it's just a stone throw away from the hotel compared to d'Talipapa which is like a 20mins walk.

As always, we saw no problem and enjoyed the beach of Bora!

Room Tip: Always settle for their Executive Wing. Also, if you can do walk in during low season, they offer di...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Knipehc
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My office mates and I stayed in this hotel. At first, I was reluctant to book a room because of the bad reviews I've read. With lots of activities lined up and we would be out most of the time, we decided to give this a try and stayed here for 3 nights and 4 days. We booked 2 standard rooms which consist of two double beds per room. The room we stayed in is cozy, the beds are comfortable and the bathroom is clean. There is a mini fridge inside the room as well as cable tv. The room is cleaned everyday, fresh sheets, towels and toiletries are provided. I also find the staff helpful and accommodating. The hotel is close to the Talipapa and D'mall. One thing which is not really to my liking is the pool. The pool is beside the dining area and entrance where everyone can see you so It does not really provide any privacy. I can say that our stay in La Carmella is great value for money.

1  Thank Joy Lynn B
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The room bathrooms/restrooms are not upto standards for a reasonable vacationing person. Our group stayed for 2 nights, occupying a few rooms.

- On most, toiletries were not automatically given and left on the bathroom sink counter.for my room specifically, we had to request for toilet paper 3 times before any was brought to us.

- no shower curtains or shower doors on a few rooms, causing most of the bathroom floor to be wet all over after a shower. Out bathroom had a divider than only covered 1/3 of the shower area but the divider itself does not touch the floor, causing water to splash all over.

Besides the above, the room does not feel like a 3 star hotel. I have stayed at motels that feel more adequate for the money.

First impresssions last and I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Tripman2011
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is my second trip to Boracay but my first time to stay in La Carmela. When we got to the hotel, we were entertained by the resort's staff with welcome drinks. Actually welcome drinks were given to some but to all of us. I was in a resort/hospitality industry for over 5 yrs and I know that staff and management knew how many people will be checking-in. So anyway that was not too much of a big deal. We got to the room and feeling a bit tired coz we had to travel for 2 hrs from Kalibo Airport and wanting to freshen up before going to the beach and check out things only to find out that there was a problem with a flush of our toilet. Not a very good scene since I shared the room with other friends and we had to wait until the later for them to fix it.

Our package includes set up breakfast and it was acceptable. You will only be given two choices for food. The only thing I noticed is that the restaurant staff is not very friendly. I am not sure if it is because they were busy and fully booked but still it doesn't give them the right to be not friendly with the other guests.

On the other hand it is beachfront so it compensates to what I experienced. It is walking distance from d'mall and other hotels and restaurants.

1  Thank mvj
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed in La Carmela last November 1 to 3. Prior to our travel date I booked through TravBest Travel and Tours. Upon checking in I was surprised when the receptionist asked me for 6k deposit. I don't know whose fault it was for not mentioning to us that there's a deposit of 2000 per room upon check-in which was refundable upon check-out. I booked 3 rooms that's why I have to deposit 6k. The point is, this should have been mentioned beforehand so that the customer's budget will not be sacrificed.

Good points are:
1. Budget friendly rooms
2. Beach front
3. 10 minute walk to 'd mall (but I still feel halfhearted about it).
4. Water dispenser on every floor.
5. Approachable workers.

Downsides are:
1. The pool is small and had a filthy smell
2. Room aircon is too loud, can't even sleep comfortably.
3. The elevator is malfunctioning. It was out of service twice on our stay there.
4. You can compare their complimentary breakfast to a hospital food.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family