“Once Bitten Twice Shy”

Ranked #128 of 171 Specialty Lodging in Boracay
Singapore, Singapore
“Once Bitten Twice Shy”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I had the good fortune of getting it right all this while when it comes to booking accommodation online, but the lucky streak ended here at Sheridan Villas in Boracay. It has a nice location, near the tail end of Station 3, and a short walk to the beach, as with most of the properties along the beach stretch, and seemed to have garnered decent reviews. But perhaps the management has changed, or have become complacent. I don't think it is what it used to be anymore. This is possibly the first time I am actually writing a bad review of a hotel I've visited, but justice has to be done, so here it goes. My disappointment lies with three things.
(a) Why is it so poorly maintained? When I checked into the room, the furnishing is old and the room reeks of a musky smell. There was no wardrobe, and the air conditioner wasn't working. When I switched on the lights to inspect the bathroom, I saw an adult cockroach scampering across the toilet floor.
(b) Where are the supposed friendly and "accommodating" staff? Have they all packed their bags and left for better work opportunities elsewhere? I arrived to an unmanned reception counter, and an elderly gentleman (who I suspect speaks no English, and is probably the housekeeper) had to be brought in by the kinder security guard. Even an email I sent days before asking for an arrangement of airport transfers was only replied after I had left the accommodation (I'll be happy to show you the email correspondences, if anyone is interested)
(c) (This part gets me the most) Unscrupulous practices. Upon my encounter with our cockroach friend, and realising that the room is very much not like what was shown on the online photos, nor claimed in the stellar past reviews, I had indicated that I wanted to cancel my stay with Sheridan Villas, even volunteering to forfeit the deposit that I had paid few weeks before. I moved to a property a few metres up the beach (please see below later). Things were fine, had a great stay at Boracay - beautiful beaches, lovely people - but few days later, I was told that Sheridan was charging a no-show fee: the full rate for the three nights I had reserved. Even with my claim to the agent (thanks so much for nothing, DirectWithHotels) that I had "showed" up and cancelled my reservations with them, they insisted that I hadn't, and that I am subjected to the policies. I replicate the policies in the DirectWithHotels's booking form here:
CANCELLATION POLICY: No additional charge if you cancel 7 Days or more before your arrival date. For cancellations less than 7 Days before the arrival date, the cost of the first night will apply. NO-SHOW POLICY: Guests who do not arrive within 24 hours of check-in date and time of the hotel will be charged the full amount of the reservation.
So the question is: now where did I go wrong?

Anyway, I had already been charged by the agent (DirectWithHotels) and the property (Sheridan Villas) the full amount of near to USD200, for services that I did not use, and for services that I had indicated clearly to the ground staff that I did not want to use, against my consent and protest. I will have to take this as a lesson learnt, but I think future travellers and service buyers should wary. This will not my last time to Boracay, but it will be last time I am making a booking with AsiaTravel/DirectWithHotels or the Sheridan Villas. Perhaps Sheridan Villas had a Golden Age, but I'm sorry to say that I think it's way passed now.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Lotijohn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our stay at Sheridan Villas was indeed memorable and very convenient since they upgraded us from a deluxe to a junior room without any additional charge. The staff was accommodating and the area was so peaceful and private. We just needed to walk a long way to and from the next station where the crowd, fun and party are located since Sheridan is at station 3. But I totally liked the place very much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Prior to our vacation in Boracay, as usual, I did my research on accommodations. Since I would come with my family, I have decided to opt for something where we would be allowed to cook.

I saw good reviews about Sheridan so I decided to take it. The staff was very nice and really accommodating.

The room looked clean when we entered but we could immediately feel (and smell) the dust. Seemed like our villa had not been used for few days. I felt my throat started to itch but since we arrived late night, I decided to be patient and forced myself to sleep.

Kitchen equipment had to be requested also. These items were not readily available. However, the staff immediately provided the items once we requested.

The place is recommended for families, especially for those travelling with children who are naturally picky and would only eat fried chicken like my nephews and nieces.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DyAngelina
Roxas City, Philippines
Reviewed July 23, 2012

+The location is very exclusive and private.
+ Place is not noisy; very peaceful and quiet.
+ Great rooms with modern designs.
+ Rooms are very clean.
+ Staffs were very accommodating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank camilang
Mandaue, Philippines
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I just love Sheridan Villas because the staffs are very friendly and accommodating. The villas are huge and has a homey feel to it. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed July 23, 2012

7 of my friends and I were able to stay here to have our weekend vacation. We really enjoyed our stay there since we reserved two villas for all us. We have our own kitchen and dining which is really quite convenient. Two of my friends love to cook so we saved a lot when it comes to our ‘food budget’. Utensils, condiments and some of the ingredients were readily available. Staffs were just friendly and accommodating to us. Love the place as it was really clean and neat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had a great holiday when my boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights. The room is very cozy and clean. It is also very affordable both on off peak and peak seasons. This is always the place where we stay every time we are her in Boracay. The staffs are accommodating and are very friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple