“Feels like your own vacation home”
Review of Sur Beach Resort

Sur Beach Resort
Ranked #32 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed September 7, 2007

I've known Boracay 18 years ago when it really deserved to be called Paradise. Today, with the massive construction work that has converted this once idyllic island into a mini-city, it is very rare to find peace and quiet. Sur was recommended to us by a friend. It is on the island's Station One with its own beachfront and far from the bustle of Station Two's cafes, bars, restos and stores. The resort is small but because of its size and design, it felt more like home than a hotel. When we arrived, I dreaded the construction work at the back and I earnestly asked for a quiet room. They gave us one that I had to vacate the next minute because of incessant hammering but they did not hesitate to upgrade us to a bigger room, far from the construction noise. The staff were so accommodating, ready to please and to be of service. The resort has clean rooms, simply decorated with modern amenities like tv and airconditioning. I relished the fresh-smelling bedsheets and towels that were changed everyday. Breakfast is correct with options for omelettes and pancakes. There is no restaurant in this resort but they have a small menu for sandwiches, pasta and noodles - perfect when you crave for light meals or when you don't really feel like going out. Meal prices were half the price of the neighboring resort. If Sur continues the way it is (with more rooms as soon as the new wing is finished and some minor renovation work in the old wing), I'm sure that its one of the best places to stay in Boracay. And in an island where the best things are free - the white sand beach and the magnificent skyline, Sur offers the best value for money for accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Loubat

Reviewed September 6, 2007

My trip to Boracay last August was my first. My firends and i initially planned to book with another resort but after reading through tripadvisor.com and comparing that resort's review and SUR's, we unanimously decided to stay in SUR.

And we weren't disappointed.

Our transfers from Caticlan to Boracay went without a hitch. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by the friendliest staff and with welcome drinks to boot. Since we arrived early (before check-out time) and the beachfront room we booked still had its occupants, we were escorted to one of the standard rooms to stay in temporarily. Just being in their standard room was already impressive. The sheets were immaculate. the bathroom was roomy and the room was overall cozy. I wouldn't have mind to stayed there for the rest of my vacation. So imagine my reaction when we got to their superior beachfront room. The best room in the resort with an overlooking balcony. I simply just wanted to stay snugged in the sheets and enjoy the view from the room the whole day.
All the staff were very courteous, helpful and eager to please. It's as if they had a perpetual smile on their faces everytime i come across them. The lobby was spacious, airy and my friends and i even had a fun time with their board games, especially the "sungka" sets.
Our breakfast plates were delivered to our rooms so we can enjoy eating them on the balcony while taking in the morning sun.
Overall, my first experience in Boracay was completely surreal and was made even more special because i stayed in SUR.

Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank stan_manila
Reviewed September 2, 2007

it was our first time to have a trip to boracay and at first i am so worried finding a nice hotel/resort to stay with at first i tried looking around station 3 since i dont have any reference or whatsoever but then one of my friends told me to try to find a place in station 1- and luckily of all the resorts i tried to look and compare prices and alas i found Sur, looking at their resorts info and rates it really answered what i need and looking at their photos i know the place is cozy and nice and at the same time i have all their reviews and that made me more interested to stay on their resort, and surely i would say i was not frustrated me and my partner were truly happy and satisfied with our stay, peeps were great very accomodating and the place is so clean and well maintained. we will surely choose sur as our resort the next time we go to boracay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank w_gmbg
Reviewed August 10, 2007

I will not be staying at the Sur Resort again.

After arranging the round trip transfer from Caticlan via email, and confirming this three times with them, they were a no show when we arrived at Caticlan. We had to arrange our own transport and when we finally arrived at Sur, they denied this and tried to tell me I had asked for the two rooms only. (I had also specifically asked for ONE room - this was also "confirmed" via email with them).

Via email I was also told they cater for vegetarians... Which was a different story once we got there. We were told they "didn't do that"..

During our stay there there was no water in the bathrooms, so we were given buckets filled with water by the staff.
The rooms were clean but the shower was moldy.

Also, there was a lot of construction noise coming from next door. But I understand this is not Sur's fault.

Unfortunately, we did not see any of the service the other reviews raved on about. We were all very disappointed with our stay there.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Karenina106
surboracay, manager at Sur Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2007

It is unfortunate that Bambi has decided not to stay at Sur anymore. We wish to assure Tripadvisor, however, that Bambi’s experience as our guest is the exception rather than the rule. Allow us to reply to her review.

1.She and her three companions were not met in Caticlan because of a miscommunication between Sur and Island Star. The reservations officer is quite sure that she faxed the flight schedule to them.
2.Sur had reserved 1 room, but the reservations officer decided to block off two rooms instead since this was what Bambi reserved for earlier and since we were not fully-booked, so she could choose whether to stay on the ground floor or the second floor. Unfortunately, this was not relayed to the front desk officer who was on duty.
3.Sur does prepare food for vegetarians upon request.
4.For two nights in July, Sur and other resorts located in a particular stretch of Boracay’s White Beach all had no water because a main water pipe of the Boracay Waterworks and Sewerage System (BWSS) burst. The problem began in the morning of July 20. The BWSS did not inform Sur and the other resorts about the situation.
We not only explained the problem to our guests, but we also apologized for the inconvenience it caused them, and had our staff bring in water in buckets from elsewhere for their use. By the morning of July 22, the broken pipe was repaired and water flowed again. BWSS neither explained nor apologized for what happened.

We regret that all our efforts and apologies were not good enough for Bambi. We are just mystified that just before her group checked out of Sur, her companions wrote messages in our guestbook and had only good words to say about their stay.

Reviewed April 23, 2007

Our stay at SUR resort was great! There were 25 of us in the group (all family) and so you would expect us to make a lot of noise esp. with all the kids. But the SUR staff was very patient with us. Thank you! We had most of our meals cooked there too and they did a good job. I also loved the location of the resort which was just across from the beach! Our beachfront room was awesome too and always clean. We hope we could come back again next time we visit family in the Philippines. Thank you to the owner and staff of SUR.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Arkansasdiwata
Reviewed April 23, 2007

The worst part about the trip to Boracay is that security concerns have prevented the tourists from landing on the island at the resort fronts. Arriving at the resorts from the back just isn't as scenic. Once you hit the lobby though, you'll recognize the view from the website. That said, SUR is a wonderful resort sure to please everyone. A few reasons why this is _the_ place to stay at:

1. The food is good - Sur offers complimentary breakfasts and I highly recommend the Filipino breakfasts because the longganisa is sweet and the vinegar on the side comes with fresh garlic. The pancakes are great too; the chocolate pancakes are fluffy but substantial and satisfyingly chocolatey all the way through.

Apparently you can even ask them to prepare something for dinner and they'll go to the market and everything. (Note: this isn't part of the regular service but it won't cost you an arm and a leg either.)

2. The staff is courteous and eager to please. They can hook you up with island tours, massages, direct you to the butterfly farm, and they have board games on the tables in the lobby too.

3. The rooms are great. The linens are ridiculously soft. The pillows are plump. The staff cleans thoroughly - no small feat given the sandy location. If you can, try to reserve either rooms A1 or A2. Absolutely wonderful.

4. Green-minded tourists take note: The staff asks that the guests be conscious of the air conditioning unit's status when you leave for the day and hot water in the bathroom comes from a solar water heater. How cool is that?

5. The view. How can you possibly go wrong with what you'll see from the roofdeck? Or from the lobby? Or from the cabanas or lounge chairs?

6. The sense of total relaxation. See #5. It's hard to argue against doing anything more taxing than spending the day just chilling once you get there. If you want to take a break from the world, this is where you want to be.

The resort's attention to details - check out the artistry that went into the rocks and plants around the place, and ask about the theme of the resort - is evident in everything they do. Make a reservation - calling them gets you a faster answer than email - and go. You won't regret it.

11  Thank bora05
Reviewed March 24, 2007

My wife and I stayed at SUR Boracay for 8 nights. SUR is located in between Two Seasons resort and White House near boat station 1 at the best part of the beach.

Upon entrance we were greeted with big smiles and a welcoming drink. I booked a standard double room which was more than adequate for a couple - it had a nice comfy double bed with clean white sheets, air con, cable tv, bar fridge, a decent size shower & clean amenities. The cleanliness was maintained at a high standard throughout our stay. On the last 3 nights of our stay we upgraded to the beachfront balcony room which was has a balcony overlooking the front of the resort and more importantly the ocean!

The resort facilities are clean, well maintained which include a bar, daytime kitchen, rooftop view deck, sunbeds & beachfront cabanas - all you need to enjoy a relaxing sun drenched beach style holiday. We spent most of our holidays lazing about out on the sunbeds & cabanas which were literally on the beach & 20 metres from the edge of water.

I can't give enough praise & thanks to the staff and manageress at SUR, they were very helpful when we needed help and very efficient in their work which contributed to make our stay at SUR one of the best holidays we've experienced.

We'll be making a trip back to SUR for SURe!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple