“Would go back but....”
Review of Sur Beach Resort

Sur Beach Resort
Ranked #28 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Sur is located on the best beach on Boracay Island (Station 1). The sand there is spectacular - like walking on powdered milk. The beach itself is probably the best in the area as well - no boats docked on the shore and possibly the least amount of moss/seaweed. The hotel itself is clean and the beds are comfortable. Cable TV is decent and the rooms are spacious. Their tapa and bangus (not boneless) for breakfast are pretty good.

But...

...it would have been nice if the receptionist told us that the hot water in our room (the one and only family room) didn't work. I would have considered moving to another room had they suggested it. We had to take a bath in moderately cold water every night - not so bad, but it's a bit uncomfortable. They told me that the heater was damaged after I mentioned that there didn't seem to be any hot water.

...I didn't appreciate having so many people playing frisbee in front of our hotel. Although the people would stop playing to let us through to get to the beach, it wasn't nice feeling like I had to rush to get to the beach so they could get on with their game or to avoid getting hit - mind you, these people were playing frisbee in teams and it seems like a pretty rough game. (occurs late afternoon around 4 to 6pm). It might be to Sur's advantage if they could moderate or control these people playing in front of their hotel.

...On our first day, we couldn't take a nap because the guests in the rooms next to ours were pretty noisy - banging the doors, calling out to each other in the tiny hallway leading to all 4 rooms in the same floor - I realize this is not Sur's fault for having the occasional degenerate customer, but maybe they could put signs or tell guests to keep the noise level to a minimum so as not to disturb other guests.

lastly...their kitchen closes at 7pm. It's a long walk to d'mall (boracay's mall where all the restaurants are) - abt 10 to 15minutes. It would have been convenient if they were open for dinner or at least room service, when needed. The Two Seasons Hotel next to Sur has good food - a bit pricey - in case you're starving.

Otherwise, our stay in Sur was pleasant and comfortable. Their amenities are quite basic but when in Boracay, all you need is a good place to hang around, a comfortable room to crash in, and an awesome beach to take your breath away.

Tip: For AWESOME but slightly pricey seafood, visit Paraiso Grill in Station 2 near d'mall. Prawns are PHP110 per 100grams, lobsters are PHP200 per 100grams. The BEST!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Gorby

Reviewed June 30, 2010

I stayed at Sur for 5 day, I found the staff to be more than helpful, they loaned me a adaptor so I could use my laptop ( I am from the U S) free of charge. The breakfast was good offering western and filipino foods. The room was simple but very nice, I can't say enough about this resort there picture are very accurate. Only a short 5 min stroll down the beach to all the night life without all the noise and crowds. I highly recomend this resort for familys and people who like to find adventure on there own.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I really WANTED to like this hotel. Here is my experience as objectively as I can give it.

The bad:
A. There was no hot water in our section of the hotel due to what I was told was a heating element malfunction. This could happen to any hotel but here is how this hotel handled it:
1. They didn't inform us, they just let us take a shower and wait pointlessly for the hot water. We had to take showers in another room where they apparently sent everyone from the affected section to take showers.
2. They did not offer any concession at all. If I hadn't brought it up, they would have happily charged us full price for the room.

B. The menu at the restaurant is unimpressive. I've been to Boracay before and having a nice place to eat right in your hotel is a great convenience. There was nothing I (being vegan) would eat and there was nothing my non-vegan friend WANTED to eat. There are decent places nearby, but since this hotel said they cater to vegetarians I expected more. It was maybe somewhere you would eat at during a lunch break from work on a Tuesday, alone. Not a place you would want to eat at during a getaway to Boracay.

C. Sur is a hang out for vendors. One of the major annoyances of Boracay is the roaming vendors. If you've never been there before, there are dozens of guys up and down the beach trying to sell garish sunglasses, sun hats, and trying to talk you into the water activities for a commission when you could just go talk to the boat owners. This means that even though there are 8 kilometers of pristine beach, you can't actually take a pleasant walk down it without getting these guys in your face. You can't lay down and sunbathe without some guy walking by every 10 minutes trying to sell you sunglasses the type you might see by the register at a convenience store. Many places post "no vendors" signs and actively keep them away. At Sur, the vendors sit right next to the Sur sign by the beach chairs, smoking and staring at the girls in bikinis (hotel guests).
We went next door to eat at The Two Seasons because the actually have a decent menu and excellent service. And from Sur, the vendors were looking over the fence and watching us and other diners eat! Twice did this happen: I literally had food in my mouth while one of these vendors is staring at me and he yells "boat sir!" He was trying to sell me a boat ride while he was watching me trying to enjoy a meal. He was doing this from the nice shady spot at Sur where vendors apparently hang out and wait to pester guests. I had to go to Sur and make them actually do something about it. Then it happened again 5 minutes later. I notice the vendors avoided The Two Seasons where we were eating, and I think it's because they have a security guard. (It sounds like I work for the Two Seasons or something but I don't.)

D. If you've never been to a hotel where every employee actually wants and is well-managed to give you good service, the service here might seem passable. But really I was disappointed. The staff seemed like a staff that was goofing off while the boss was away. Ever walk into a store and look around for help but all the employees are in one corner chatting and hoping you'll just give up and go away? That's kind of how it felt here. You could walk up to the front desk and if there was even someone there, they might not make eye contact with you and you might interrupt the movie they're watching on the computer.

E. The Superior room was cramped and the ergonomics seem to have been designed by an alien life form who has little familiarity with how the human body works. The TV faces the wall next to the bed, not behind the bed. There is a shelf right above the sink so you can't wash your face like you normally would. The towel rack is on the other side of the bathroom from the shower and way too high.

The good:
A. We got there early and they allowed us to use a temporary room while our room was being prepared. That was nicer than just holding our luggage.

B. The transfer to and from Caticlan is not going to impress your girlfriend with luxury, but it was very fast and convenient (It's handled by another company). If you don't mind a trike, you could just handle transportation yourself and save a few bucks.

C. Making the reservation on the phone was super easy and only required one minor correction.

D. Their website is not ugly and hard to navigate.

E. It was really easy to arrange great in-room massages.

F. I didn't see any cockroaches in the room.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank thethought
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Sur is a very small hotel in a chain of resorts of widely-varying sizes and ratings, located at the quiet end of Station 1 on White Beach. I can't say enough how friendly and responsive the staff is (everyone is so friendly in the Phillipines!), and how stunning the beach is. The rooms were simple but comfortable and roomy, and only steps from the talcum-powder white sand. The cabanas were truly heaven-sent in the May heat, with wonderful frozen drinks and beer service from the bar, and the water was clear, calm, bath-water warm, and shallow all the way out! Perfect for swimming or lounging, and would be excellent for children. Breakfast was included but it was just okay, however restaurants in the area were abundant, wonderful and cheap, so lunch and dinner were fantastic experiences. By U.S. standards, everything was amazingly inexpensive so it's the best place to try parasailing, snorkeling, boating, etc. And don't forget to have a daily 1-hour massage on the beach!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I, the wifey, our three very young children and a babysitter immensely enjoyed our stay at Sur, Boracay from 09 to 12 May 2010.

Sur is conveniently located in Station One, along the best stretch of White Beach. It is nestled between Two Seasons and The White House and is a very short walk away from Fridays and Discovery Shores.

The hotel is relatively quaint and modest compared to other resorts like Discovery Shores and Seawind but it is precisely Sur's small size, unassuming character and consistently personalized service that made us all the more fall in love with it. The fact of the matter is that we were able to enjoy the same exact beachfront and quiet and secure environment as the island's most expensive hotels WITHOUT having to pay a hand and a foot for the same! THAT truly spells out value for money.

We were checked in at Sur's only "Family Room" located at the second floor of the beachfront building, which afforded us instant access to the lobby, restaurant, bar, cabanas and beachfront. Said room actually consists of two separate rooms, conjoined by a connecting door. This afforded us lots of space to live in, not to mention privacy (as required from time to time) from our kids.

The accomodations were fairly new and very well appointed. The beds were very comfortable and the linens smelled fresh as they were changed daily. The common bathroom and toilet between the 2 rooms is spacious enough and has continuous supply of hot water, courtesy of Sur's solar powered heaters.

The staff was consistently warm, attentive and courteous. The food was good and reasonably priced the portions were generous and very filling but there is definitely room for improvement, like perhaps the need for more choices/variety.

Unlike in the hotels and other establishments in Station Two, there were almost no vendors loitering in the area and the few night parties on the beach were very tame and orderly. In any case, whenever we needed to get groceries, souvenirs a nightlife or a simple nighcap, D'Mall and the numerous establishments at Station Two were just a 10 to 15 minute stroll away.

What we really loved was when after the partying all night, we could always run back to the serene embrace of our beloved Sur, where are children were safely and securely tucked in bed. For young parents like us, nothing beats that kind of peace of mind!

Sur's beachfront cabanas allowed us to have our own personal space on the shore where we could conveniently leave our stuff all day, with nary a worry. That was where we had most of our meals, along with a few rounds of Sur's spectacular cocktails.

While Sur has no swimming pool, the kids couldn't care any less. Why smim in a pool when you've got one of the world's most beautiful beaches to wade in right in front of you? In any case, there were small pocket gardens in the property where the kids played during some afternoons.

All of the above make Sur's location absolutely ideal fro a young family like ours. We will definitely return to Sur, our preferred "home" in Boracay Island.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank RyanSJ
Reviewed February 20, 2010

Be ready for a big surprice when you check out. You only get 1 (one !!) cup of coffee for breakfast. I got charged for every cup of coffee in addition to the one that was free and the orange jus was an "extra" too. My wife never drinks coffee or tea but the would not let me have her cup. I still had to pay my second cup :-(((
Never ever again.....
This is a real rip off!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thinkabout
Reviewed February 11, 2010

"Home away from home" maybe trite and passe' but it has a new incarnation in an idyllic setting, the SUR Beach Resort , which exudes pure serenity with its zen-like garden and its panoramic "Seascape" . My daughter and I enjoyed its simple elegance and homey aura!

We felt pampered by very warm, friendly staff. Food is very good, and service is excellent.

Great location- very ideal for recharging and relaxing, and the sunset is spectacular as viewed in this Gem of Station One! A good walk to other Stations is a plus...it's away from the "madding crowd." Highly recommending to friends and family back in the U.S. and Ireland.

Margareth Mary Lombard