“Boracay Tropics superb experience” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Boracay Tropics Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bo. Manggayad, Aklan Province, Philippines   |
Ranked #26 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
San Juan, Philippines
“Boracay Tropics superb experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Boracay Tropics

"This was my first trip to Boracay. We had our second and our third night in Boracay Tropics. We were treated with their specialty cucumber-mango slush (a VERY refreshing drink); the breakfast buffet was amazing as their was a lot to choose from. Our second night, we stayed at a dormitory type room which had a great vibe to it. Almost like a five-star room in any beach resort around the world. The last night, we stayed at the spa room where we were treated with aromatic candles all night and gave us a very peaceful and relaxing last night of stay in Boracay and Boracay Tropics. Overall, I will recommend my friends and family to stay in Boracay Tropics for the amazing facilities, crew members and the delicious food! Boracay Tropics gets a five star rating in my book.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Pros:
(1) Very spacious dorm rooms -- enough space for 7 pax and still leaves enough room for our luggage.
(2) Neat, well-manicured lawns.
(3) The best asset of this resort is its staff. Very polite. Helpful and efficient. We especially liked our driver and the housekeeping staff who attended to our flooded bathroom every night.
(4) split-type aircon in perfect condition
(5) flat TV with good reception

Cons:
(1) The most important thing to mention here is the slippery bathroom. There is no floor barrier/shower enclosure between the shower area and the entire bathroom. Ergo, once you take a shower the water splatters in the entire bathroom. The shower curtain didn't help at all for how can you control the flow of water from a rain shower? We were worried that one of us might slip. Most accident cases happen in the bathroom and we've known people who had been fractured by a bad fall due to slippery bathrooms. There were 7 of us in the room so after all of us have taken our baths you could already imagine that our bathroom already looks like a Metro Manila street after a heavy downpour. So if you are travelling with small children or the elderly, this is one of the most important consideration... they might slip on the floor and suffer from injury.

(2) There is no view... once you draw the curtains all you get to see is a wall under construction (there is a separate property being constructed right in front of our room, blocking the entire view).

(3) There is no drying area for wet clothes. Hence our (very wet) bathroom reeks of wet dripping clothes too.

(4) Due to the fact that the only windows are blocked by the wall being constructed, the room is very, very dark. There were only 2 bulbs to light the room.

(5) The hotel is full of Asian tourists. For political reasons and because they are vengeful bullies I will not mention from where but will just describe them as loud people who hang their socks by the poolside. One evening while resting by the pool I saw them came and washed their hands in the pool. On a separate occasion, they also came in droves and while wearing their slippers went straight to the pool and washed their feet! During breakfast, they scream from their tables and talk to their companions who were getting food from the buffet table. They also do not use proper swimming attire. I complained at the front desk for the behaviour of these people and I was told that their tour coordinator/operator have been already told of these but these tourists just consistently fail to behave in a civilized manner (not discriminating here but would like to advise fellow travelers that if this is annoying to them then best to avoid this place)

(6) Lack of variety of breakfast menu

(7) Old, worn-out towels --- from where I come from, these kind of towels are only used as floor mops

(8) Old bed mattresses... not firm enough for a sound sleep

Room Tip: Albeit spacious, avoid the dormitory rooms due to safety concerns in the bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Meryl_Jill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This resort brought a very good impression on our brain. everything is beautiful, the ambience, rooms, services of the staff in restaurant they will really treat you well.

Just one thing we don't like the noise of the renovating buildings or rooms beside our place, well maybe that's their best time to renovate rooms or building more rooms or we don't know if its another resort, because its the lean season.

shortly, we just enjoyed everything in the resort except of the noise.

• Stayed July 2013
Washington, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed here before two years ago and had a great experience so thought we would book again. Prices are quite high compared with other hotels in Boracay, but the Tropical atmosphere and pleasant staff swayed me to book a dorm room (for 6) and a double room for four nights in early August.

I noticed the newly renovated dorm room advertised on their Facebook page so contacted the hotel by email to request this, was told that it shouldn't be a problem. Of course upon check in there was no interest in accommodating us in the requested rooms. I was eventually shown a range of rooms, but decided to stick with the room that we had been given - which was the same standard as our visit two years ago.

One kind gesture was that the hotel arranged, very quickly and short notice a complimentary cake for one of our party who was celebrating their wedding anniversary, This was really kind and appreciated. The advertised free wifi in rooms does not actually reach the rooms and I don't think there are any plans to change this.

The biggest concern for me was that a rat was seen in the double room (103). Given the 4,000 PHP per night charge I was very angry. I noticed that when staff are cleaning they are leaving the doors of the rooms open, even afterwards - so at street level this is a possibility. The hotel is near a swampy area with shanty houses nearby. The manager did arrange for us to move rooms and offered a generous dinner to apologise. This was duly appreciated and is the reason why I have mixed feelings about this hotel.

The gardens and pool area is wonderful, most of the staff are helpful and very polite. We spent a lot of additional money buying drinks from the bar and also arranged a massage at the hotel Spa as we did two years ago.

However, there are major building works going on next door, and this has not been advertised on the hotel website or anywhere else. We were woken with sounds of banging and drilling, which continued while we were in the pool, all day long and into the night. Even in the spa during our massage all I could hear was a construction site. As I explained to the manager, it is not enough to put a notice of apology in people's room. I would have cancelled and rebooked to a different hotel had I known about this in advance. I guess this is what they would like to avoid.

I wouldn't rule out coming back to the Boracay tropics. Their dorm room including breakfast is great value, the staff and manager is extremely approachable and friendly and I appreciated their many efforts. It is close enough to the beach, the drinks (even minibar) prices and prices for services like massage are fair and affordable and the tropical atmosphere is lovely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 years ago and it was a brilliant experience hence we chose to stay again this time. From what they advertised, it said rooms were newly refurbished (and there were photos provided) but to our surprise, we ended up on the same room (the room that we stayed at 2 years ago) and its old and a bit smelly. The room is located at the rear end of the resort next to a swamp so there were plenty of Mosquitos in the room! One of the rooms that we hired had a rat inside. The management moved us to another room but the staff claimed there weren't any rats despite of 2 of our guests seeing it a few times.

They advertised a free unlimited wifi but it rarely worked and actually couldn't acquire signal from our room so we had to go to a stairs landing to use it; we then had to suffer mosquito bites.

We used the Oasis Spa and it smelled like it wasn't used or touched since we used it 2 years ago.

There was a building construction next to the resort so there were banging and noisy machineries all day. This was never advertised nor advised during our booking or pre-arrival but the wifi that was on their advert was rarely on.

The resort location is not too far from the beach but you had to walk through a flooded (sewerage water) street to get there.

On the lighter side, the manager offered us complimentary dinner. It was a generous one! The staff was very friendly all the time and there was not any shortage of warm greetings and smiles.

Will definitely consider another resort on our return to Boracay.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank redyakki
Comox, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Boracay Tropics from July 31st to August 3rd, 2013 and we absolutely loved our stay. When we entered the hotel we were instantly greeted by the staff and given a glass of iced tea. The staff here is truly the best: they allowed us to check in early and they prepared our room within a couple of minutes. An example of the staff’s willingness to help is that our baggage got lost on the flight from Manila to Caticlan and the receptionist at Boracay Tropics called the airline to arrange delivery while we went to the beach! It was a very sweet gesture and we genuinely appreciated their help. The Tropics is a great location—it’s just a 2 minute walk from the most beautiful beach I have ever stepped foot on. The white sand here is unparalleled and Boracay Tropics is the best opportunity to enjoy your vacation on the island.
The Tropics is a really great hotel: definitely one of the nicest hotels I’ve ever stayed in. The rooms were clean, huge, and really nicely decorated. I don’t think there is anything else a traveler can ask for than feeling at home while in a foreign country, and Boracay Tropics definitely makes you feel that way: the staff, the room, and the setting add up to a great experience. Don’t even get me started on the breakfast: it’s a continental buffet, and everything you can ask for. There are pancakes, an omelet bar, fresh fruits, bread, pastries, and a touch of Filipino (rice, various meats, etc.). It was hands down the best breakfast buffet I’ve ever had. I would go back to the hotel just for the buffet, even though Boracay Tropics offers so much more than just good food.
The setting of the hotel is an oasis. The gardens and the pool made us feel like we were in paradise. It is definitely one of a kind and I would most sincerely recommend Boracay Tropics for your next stay. All in all, the staff, the hotel, the setting, and the food are incredible. The most telling review I can write about the hotel is to answer the question, “would I stay here again?” and my answer is a resounding, “YES.”

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

good location, good service and good swimming!! 雖然泳池不大,但是乾淨!地點不錯,到dmall都是搭嘟嘟車,大概五分鐘就能抵達!!飯店付近有超好吃的西班牙餐廳dos!!!一定要去品嘗!!另外比較差的地方,就是check in等很久~~~

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family