“Beach front but very basic”

Arwana Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #120 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
London, United Kingdom
“Beach front but very basic”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I’ve recently stayed 3 nights at Arwana. I originally booked a standard twin room but on arrival we were given a double room. They simply told us that all the standard twin rooms are already taken. They weren’t apologetic at all. I was a little annoyed as I sent a reminder email a week prior that we wanted 2 single beds in the room.

Our room on the first floor was tiny and very basic. The room literally had a double bed and a TV. Not even a bedside table. Only a little room left for our bags on the floor. Surprisingly, the cable TV had about 50 channels. The room was quiet.

Basic air conditioning worked in the room. You can’t do fancy things like setting a temperature (no remote control either). It is also placed quite high up. Every time we wanted to change the setting, we had to bring a chair from outside!

Bathroom was also small and the basin was within the room, not inside the bathroom. Hot water worked. Bring your own toiletries as only a cheap bar of soap is provided. The hotel provides towels. You can ask for beach towels at the reception also.

Location of the hotel is great, right on the beach. The hotel has its deck chairs in front of the hotel for guests. Station 3 is a nice area. From Caticlan jetty boat station, it takes about 10 mins on tricycle (100 pesos). Tricycles go up to a sealed alley way near the hotel (about 5 mintues walk). You'll need to carry your bags on the beach to reach the hotel.

Breakfast included in the rate was okay. Pancake is the best option there. Some other options were terrible. It was lovely having breakfast on the beach every morning though. Please note that service is generally quite slow here and waiting staff are also quite forgetful even if they aren’t busy. It took about 45 minutes for breakfast to be served.

The room is very basic but I cannot complain as it was cheap for a beach front hotel. Just don’t expect much from a room…beach in front of the hotel is nice. Boracay is a lovely place and It is definitely worthwhile staying on the beach.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The Awrana hotel seems happy to deliberately mislead internet customers in the hope of making a quick buck. The carefully posed photos of the hotel rooms and sea view shown on the website only represents a tiny portion of what is really being offered. When we arrived our room turned out to be at the end of an alley in a closed courtyard nowhere near the beach. The room was dark and damp with no windows. The lack of windows turned out to be a good thing though as it prevents you from seeing the piles of junk and rubbish outside. When we asked to be moved to a room more closely resembling the one we were offered on the web we were shown to... another dark damp hole. They have a good selection of these. Finally we were offered a downgrade to a basic room which had access to natural light and was closer to the front of the hotel. In compensation for all our trouble and the downgrade we were finally (after two days of hassle) offered a 54c discount for the duration of our stay. Yes, you read that correct, half a US dollar for 4 nights! Later we were talking to a dive instructor at a nearby dive center, he smiled and said Awrana does this frequently to internet customers and this is the third time he has heard the same story.

Room Tip: Don't book online.
Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank N_Landon

Travelers are raving about these Boracay hotels

Macau, China
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but still I expect more for this kinda price. We had to ask for toilet paper everyday, the room smelled so dank I had trouble sleeping, the door was nearly impossible to close and lock, no soap, no place to hang beach towels, and a bunch of other little annoying thing. The location on the beach was just about right for us, down at the southern tip where it is a little quieter and a little more natural with lots of palm trees. The beach was very clean and the staff was friendly. The food and drinks were very reasonably priced and can recommend the peach pancakes and the tacos. But for around the same money and same location the nearby hotels seemed much nicer and had more beach space. If we were to go back we would try the other nearby hotels such as Angol Point, 3-5-7, Blue Mango, Villa Camilla or Casa Camilla. Just don't think it was worth the money, when better places are right next door.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nataliegoes
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed here for two weeks and for the most part the hotel was ok. Rooms were adequate size with cable TV and in room wifi and were generally kept clean although we did have to ask for the room to be cleaned on a few occasions and had no room serves one of the days we were there. Bad points of the room was the bathroom which was very small with a very inadequate shower, both power and heat not so good. Breakfast was very limited with pancakes being the best option, which soon gets boring. The hotel is situated next to a locals home which has the obligatory cockerel which will wake you up at 4.00am 'on the dot' every day. There is communal balcony so privacy may be an issue for some.
Staff friendly enough. Would advise walking in to get better room rates, we got a 30% reduction.

Room Tip: walk-in rates 30% cheaper
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My fiance and I decided to do a weekend get away last week. It has been 8 years since my last visit to Boracay and I know that there has been a lot of developments over the years. The last time I visited, I stayed in Station 2 as it is a comfortable place to be. We ended up in choosing Arwana Beach Resort as they had good feedbacks on this site apart from being in Station 3- which was more peaceful and away from the noises and action. We wanted to relax and preferred a little privacy. I would say that what relatively attracted us to choose this hotel was the "price deal" and the location. It was also important for me to have an internet connection (wifi) in the room since I had to work on a friday. I was glad that they had a good room internect connection and I was able to do my work. ( Though this was not clearly advertised by Agents )

Our reservation was all in place and were welcomed by charming and friendly reception. We were also served a big glass of iced tea while waiting for our room to be double checked. Our room was located on the side of the building which looked more like a path leading to the backside of the hotel. The room was clean, aircon was working, bathroom clean. I would say though that the bed was a bit damp and the pillow bit small and flat. You could hear from the room people passing by however, its not much of a nuisance that you can't deal with after a tiring day at the beach or a night out. They served very good breakfast and I would suggest going for the "confetti"or "harvest" breakfast which were really good. They also have pancakes and I would say that their Chicken Fajita was good. The hotel has been known for also serving "good mojitos",, unfortunately they were not able to buy some mint leaves so I didn't get to try it. All in all, I would say that we enjoyed our holiday and was able to rest. I would be glad to recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to have a relaxing weekend.

I would like to thank you and congratulate their staff Rod, Angie and Nono for being friendly and helpful to us.

Advantage: Excellent price, Quiet place to relax, good food, warm accommodation, excellent price.

Suggestions : Provide bigger pillows, work on their website - there was no contact info on it and other info

Room Tip: I would suggest you get the premier or de luxe rooms so you can be settled in on the 2nd floor rathe...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank izziegon
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I had a great time in Boracay because of the wonderful service of the Arawana staff. The food was sensational, especially the menu for our free breakfast which included western and traditional Filipino breakfast. To my surprise it came with your choice of coffee, tea or juice and tasted amazing, especially the banana pancakes. The breakafst is included with the price you pay for the accommodation; which is kept clean with an amazing shower that is already set to a perfect temperature.

Also they make the best cocktail, better than the local bar that I tried during my first two nights of stay, that I now regret as it is cheaper in Arwana due to their happy hour from 1pm to 10pm - and boy they know I how to make a good mojito. The staff are friendly and know their area well as they recommended us great activities to do whilst in Boracay.

Some people may prefer to stay closer to D'Mall which is where the main activity is in Boracay, however we preferred to be away from the marketers selling all sorts of activities and food, as eventually you become tired of saying 'no'. Its a good 15mins walk to D'Mall from Arwana, which we love as we have a beautiful scenery which made the walk a wonderful experience.

I recommend Arawana for anyone who preferred a quiet stay, great food and on a budget. You definitely get more for your dollar!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Royalty_Rea
Malaysia
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Hubby and myself arrived rather early and so we checked-in about 8.00AM. We were greeted by Anthony at the reception and waited for about 10 minutes till we got our rooms sorted. Gladly, we checked in and everything was perfect, except for the bed where it creaks! More pillows would be helpful too as the current ones were rather flat. Choice of breakfast was not too bad as well. We have our breakfast on the beachfront and yes, with a spectacular view!

We love this place as it's not too busy compared to Station 2. Everything was accessible by foot.

Finally, we would like to express our heartfelt thanks to Anthony for being so helpful, answering to our queries and even assisting us in getting a tricycle to the jetty. We will definitely come back next year, hopefully sooner.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple