“Nice Hotel except for the Roosters, Hot Water, and Lighting”
Review of One Crescent Place

One Crescent Place
Ranked #45 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed 4 nights in this hotel and the positives outweighs the negatives.
1.) On hot water.
Yes, to take a shower you have to run the water on at least 20 minutes to get hot water,
2.) Sleeping.
I suspect this hotel is close to fighting cocks farm so the crowing is incessant from 4:00AM onwards. On the positive side you donot need an alarm clock to wake you up if you want to get up early.
3.) On Breakfast and Rooms.
If you are going to stay here longer than 2 days expect the breakfast to be the same, day in day out regardless if it is chinese, filipino, or american breakfast you chose. On the positive side, the room I had (superior) is clean, big, and priced reasonably.
4.) Lightings.
I wish they have an automatic on and off lights in the corridor directly in front of my room because the light is shining through the room (as the door is made of opaque glass). I prefer to sleep without any lights, and therefore I have a hard time falling or going back to sleep easily if I wake up in the middle of the night.
5.) Cleanliness, staff and others.
Sheets are changed everyday and rooms are cleaned too, staff are friendly helpful and will go out of their way to please and make your stay pleasant. The beach is close just a 2-3 minute walk and you're there. They provide towels too, if you are going for a swim. They don't charge for the internet usage, so if you spend much time on the net, this is the hotel for you.
6) Would I recommend this hotel to my friends.
Yes, I would not hesitate to book into this hotel if I visit Boracay again and if any of my friends are taking their holidays in Bora, I surely recommend this one.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise, and Corner suites are large and sunny.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wills2131
armieocp, Management Representative at One Crescent Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

First of all thank you for staying with us, and for your inputs. We have discussed it with our staff, and are addressing all of it.

On hot water: the hotel has been fully booked for days while you were there which has high demand on water; ordinarily, there should no problems, but there were some fluctuations in water pressure caused by our washing machines and our overhead tank requirements, which affected the Superior rooms, mostly at busy hours. We’ve started to implement water pressure load shaping over the day, so that other loads – i.e., washing machines and roof deck tanks, do not upset the water pressure of our main line. We are doing some re-piping next week, so that load shaping will not even be necessary. We are also now testing each water heater to ensure that you get hot water, everytime.

On sleeping, crowing of fighting cocks: This is a challenge, as the roosters are not really abutting the property, but at some distance, but can still be heard, while a bit muffled, even with seals on the sliding doors. This affects mostly one side of the building, but we believe we have a solution that will greatly attenuate the sound that gets into the building. We will implement this March 2012.

On breakfasts, and room: We only serve one breakfast per day, and there are variants of each type. So, for four nights, there won’t be a repeat. If you have special breakfast requirement, such as vegetarian, you will have to let us know ahead of time, during the time of your booking, and we can provide it to you, at no charge.

Yes, the Superior room is excellent value. It is perfect for a small family or a group of friends, from 4 – 5 persons.

On Lightings: We do have a way of turning off the pin lights by the hall way, we’ll have it turned at 10 PM. We will just leave the center drop light on by the stairs for safety.

On cleanliness, staff and others: Yes, we make a safe and clean environment for everyone staying in One Crescent Place. We take good care of our guests.

We do have complimentary high speed internet access in the rooms, by the lobby, the patio, so bring your tablet, smart phones, laptops, and ultrabooks. We do have four computers that you can also use by the lobby, again, gratis. We have beach towels, beach mats, umbrellas, beach toys, available for complimentary use.

On room tip: We have started replacing the split type air conditioners to a really quiet model. We had to wait for this technology to mature before we started implementing.

Again, thank you for your review, and your recommendation of One Crescent Place to your friends. We appreciate it, as we can only improve, and can help make your future stay even more pleasurable.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I took this hotel from reviews from other previous clients. I was wrong. The hotel was not at the beach. The hotel is being managed by "remote control", no manager on site. Requests from clients would have to be referred to "remote" manager and manager is NOT flexible to clients' needs.
Hotel unable to provide a "mere shower cap". Breakfast is only on "a la carte" basis. You have to run the water for at least 15 mins to get "hot water". You have to walk through a small alley to get into the place and the hotel is in the middle of a "noisy neighborhood". Hotel cld be rated as a "2-star" hotel.

"Superior" room does not meet the standards of one.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank impish G
armieocp, Management Representative at One Crescent Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2012

It is a disservice to our guests and potential guests that you have to write a negative review. You had threatened us that you will write one if you are not given a refund for the shortening of your stay. As explained we have a policy of no cancellation within 31 days. In fact, we cannot even make a refund to you as you did not make a payment to us; you paid an online travel company.

Our hotel is not beach front, as clearly stated in our website, with GPS coordinates even in our website. You can even search for One Crescent Place Hotel Boracay in Google, and you will find that it is clearly not beach front.

The owner-manager of the hotel is not in the hotel, and is actually in his office in Manila. The hotel is being managed actively by a support staff; we have knowledgeable and trained staff and the technology to make it happen. Our staff is well trained, and can respond to most is not all reasonable requests.

We have Filipino, Chinese and American breakfasts. It is complimentary to your stay. You can have more if you want, but for a fee as you are the one who is going to consume it.

We don’t appreciate for guests being loud in the hotel, during breakfast, and through most of the stay, and even during check-out. Our staff and other guests have to have peace and quiet.
In fact there was only one loud person in the neighborhood during the time of your stay with us. And it was gone when you left. Our staff and our guests were relieved.

Our recommendation is that for one to read websites clearly, read the cancellation policy; and not forget their personal things (like hair nets and shower caps) including one’s medicines when travelling, not threaten or bother staff and other guests, not to break things (like the air conditioner remote control cover), and not to waste water.

So, the bottom line is that we advertised truthfully, and we welcome the thousands of our satisfied guests, and that we welcome future happy guests.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. One of the big disappointment I had with the hotel was the cancellation policy. I had to cancelled a few hours after I booked the hotel on Expedia due to last minute work conflict. I spent about an hour with Expedia then called the hotel directly in philippines from the US to try to cancelled. I ended up talking to the mgr/owner and he wasn't willing to cancelled after I made the effort to call them long distance! Think twice before you book this hotel.

Pros:
* Great Staff and service, they cater to our needs.
* Fairly close to the beach (about 5 mins walk from the white sand beach)
* Good hearty breakfast. Breakfast is included in the daily rate

Cons:
* Air Condition is directly above the head. There is no way to adjust it, after the first night I had to sleep upside down so that the air conditioning unit is not blowing directly onto my head, I got a severe cold after my first night :(
* Can hear the chicken crowing all night long. I'm a light sleeper and it was frustrating to hear the chicken all through the night. I'm here on vacation and the lack of sleep definitely ruined my sleep
* Hot water is wonky. Hot water turns into cold water all of a sudden, we complained to the front desk, they tried to fix it, but the problem still persist, there were days where we had to take cold showers.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank c_ngSanFrancisco
Management response:Responded January 11, 2012

Thanks for staying with us and that you actually made it in our hotel at your original schedule,and that you had booked for an extra bed for your friend! Note though that we uphold our policy to include cancellation policy, as well as our quality. We are just being consistent.

We take care of our guests. Period.

Thanks for the comments, and we can only improve. For the air conditioner, it's actually across the bed, and you can put it to low, quiet mode, adjust the vanes using the remote control, and if that's not enough, you can even adjust the vanes manually. We can also provide an extra thick blanket if requested. But adjusting the air conditioner is the optimum solution. As I write this, we are starting the upgrade of all of our air conditioning units to the newest, latest and greatest, the gentlest, the best that can be had. This may take a three or so months to convert all rooms, as we we have high bookings in the hotel, and take other guests in consideration.

Yes, there are chickens at some distance to the hotel that can be heard. But this is part of the norm in the provinces in the Philippines. We've put seals on the doors, but you may need to close the bathroom window, as well as the bathroom door to help attenuate. We'll be checking whether we should change the sliding door all together for a better noise seal.

For the hot water, we've addressed it. While we only use top of the line brand, we found out that that our secondary water pump was not kicking in at the right pressure, thus causing the water heater not to heat up. We've corrected it by calibrating the pumps.

Thanks for this feedback.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Nice clean and new hotel, 3 minutes from White Beach, free breakfast and wifi in the room. Air con, although set at 16 degrees, seemed to function as a fan only, and our sun facing room was a pure sauna. Maybe this was just our room, but the staff didn't seem to care when I complained in the morning. Would stat here again if it was cheaper and not so hot outside.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Anfisa55
armieocp, Owner at One Crescent Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Thanks for your stay and for the review!

We've briefed our staff to just remind them to make sure that they acknowledge that they heard and understood any requests, and that they give prompt feedback to our guests.

For the airconditioner, our staff and succeeding guests did not find anything wrong with the airconditioner and with its cooling. The remote control has a mode button, ionizer button, as well as for the main power button. One possibility that cooling is not effected is if one accidentally presses the Ionizer button rather than the Power button to turn on the air conditioner. If such, the fan would turn on along with the ionizer, but not the compressor. Also, at times when one changes the settings frequently, the air conditioning unit goes on a protective mode, shuts down the compressor, and introduces a time delay. It is best that you just turn on the power button, and let the unit work. It should start cooling shortly. If there are problems, a quick call to the reception would have prompted one of our staff to check on the unit at that instant. The above are just the possibilities, as we did not find anything wrong with the air conditioning unit, as we've double and triple checked the unit, and that there were successive guests right after you checked out on the same room where you stayed at.

We conduct preventive maintenance to our air conditioning units, do periodic tests. We even have an instrument to measure the precise cooling and temperature of our evaporators and equipment to measure and control the room air quality.

Thanks and all the best.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

My friend and I went to Boracy for our first time. I was hoping to stay on the beach. However, we took our cheaper option and stayed a 5 minute walk from the beach.

This hotel is really nice and modern. The decor is very nice. The hotel breakfast was good and (of course) service was very nice. The staff totally went out of their way to make our stay nice.

Walking to and from the hotel actually feels far removed from the Boracay strip (which was a good thing). It was like getting away from the noise and tourists and walking through a small local village to get to your hotel. If you want to visit Boracay and have a nice little spot removed from the hustle of the main strip, this place is perfect!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jen31373
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We had a great time in Boracay and a great stay in this hotel. The place is very clean, the rooms and bathroom are clean, comfortable and nice and the breakfast was very well taken care off. Above all the staff is excellent, they provide a great service, always with a smile. They even prepared us a nightly breakfast (4am) because of our early morning checkout, nice! The assisted transfer from Caticlan Airport (through the jetty port) was a breeze, certainly worth the extra few pesos.
Basically you get great value for money. If this hotel would be beachside it would be one of the pearls of Boracay (not complaining about that, they don't claim to be beachside so you get what you book ...).
Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank janbrubel
armieocp, Management Representative at One Crescent Place, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2011

Dear Jan and family, Thank you very muh for staying with us. We've shared your review with our staff, and they were delighted that you remembered us and shared your experience of your stay with us. Yes, we're about 220 meters from the beach, which gives our guests added privacy and safety factor for our guests, but yet close enough to beach. Thanks again, and please do visit us again. Cheers, Armie and staff of One Crescent Place Hotel

Reviewed April 15, 2011

We stayed in boracay for a week and booked at two seasons in station 1. Since we arrived later in the afternoon on our first night we decided to stay at One Crescent since it will save us $50 since two seasons was $130/night.

This is not beachfront, you will have to walk maybe 5-10 mins to get to the beach. This is in station 1 closer to station 2. It is not on the main road but close to it. It is very close to a very good restaurant Escondido. Its tucked in a small alley along with other 2-3 star hotels. This one is towards the end the alley. I would say it is the nicest in that lane.

The building is a low-rise with I think 3 floors (maybe 4) and it is clean, modern and simplistic. I like the design and layout of this place inside and out. The rooms are modern with simply features and facilities and most of all VERY CLEAN. Its more than enough for a comfortable sleep and stay. You are in boracay so unless you plan to stay in the room the whole day then its really good enough. Its got a small TV, hot water, I cant remember if theres a small fridge. We has a standard room and it had a small balcony. If you are a light sleeper like me then beware because the rooms are close to the stairs and you will hear everything that goes on in the hallways or even the lobby, we were in the second floor. So I had to wear earplugs. I am a very light sleeper so keep that in mind.

One of the things I asked about this place is the internet connection since I have to work during the evening so i need a fast reliable internet service (it really was a working vacation since I have to overlap with my colleagues in the US) . I called their main office in manila before I booked and talked to the owner as well as their IT guy and he told me they have routers in all the floors. When I got there, it was extremely slow in the room so I had to go to the lobby where I had to do a wired connection. I wish they gave me a better assessment on the performance of their network, I felt that they weren't very accurate.

The best thing about this place are the people who work there. They actually live in the hotel as well. Its a family run place and their employees are provided with food and shelter which is a big deal. The employees were all so helpful and kind and always willing to give a helping hand. The "IT" guy who was also our bell boy and our errand body really did his best to get my connection working and then ran to the store to get me a SIM card, thats just how they roll, they want to give their customer service deluxe. The guy who works the nighshift was awesome and made sure that I was comfortable working in the lobby. I dont think I can say enough about the service that these people have provided us. Kudos.

Dont expect much from the breakfast. They do have a water station so you dont need to buy your bottled water.

i would recommend this place if you are not a light sleeper, you dont need a good and stable network connection in your room and beach front is not important to you.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlexisRF
armieocp, OCP Management at One Crescent Place, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2011

Dear Alex,

Thanks for your inputs, which we've discussed internally. We're not beach front, as advertised in our website, and we're only about two minutes' walk to the White Beach, the best section. We're about 220 meters from the beach. We are by a private road, where it's quiet, and offers privacy, as only guests, residents and occasional deliveries, pass by the road. None from the general public. Our location can be an advantage, depending on the point of view of the guest, whether privacy from the public, whether added safety factor is more desired.

Great that you liked our building, it's design. But, we're proud to say that the beauty it is beyond what one sees. OCP is probably one of the most sturdy building in the island, as it was built with a several reinforced piles several meters down, heavy foundation, which can carry a load of several floors, but we only have three floors plus a roof deck.

In terms of quality, absolutely clean our property, our rooms, how we go out of our way to take care of our guests.

We're sorry you had problems with WiFi, however, you were able to connect to the Internet still. There can be a few variables, but as we mentioned we have routers on each floor, and that our guests can almost always have an Internet connection. For WiFi, it could be that you had connected to a connection that is relatively slow, but still at broadband speed, and that there could be things going with the equipment, from the user's to the supplier's network, to your server.

Our basis of saying why you can almost always get an Internet connection at OCP? We have redundant Internet connection, from two different suppliers. We almost always would have high speed Internet in the hotel. In your case at that time, you still were able to get one, albeit, through a wired connection.

But, given that you had initial problems, we're not stopping there, we've replaced a router on the second floor, and we're putting in equipment that simplifies connectivity, even on devices that has a relatively weak WiFi radio.

As for having trouble sleeping, the hotel and the area is sometimes too quiet in the evening, that all sounds, how quiet they may be, gets magnified. We use soundproofing seals on the doors. And there are so many other factors, to include physiological ones, especially if one had just flown in from a different time zone, i.e., effects of jet lag and if one's brain is still wired from working. We've asked our staff to be more aware that sounds in the evening have a magnification effect. We're not stopping here, we're conducting research now to attenuate sounds especially in the evening.

If you can be in a really safe, absolutely clean and comfortable place, and have a sound sleep, that would be excellent. Then wake up with a great breakfast. That would to it off. That is and has been our goal. We've had guests who have stayed for several days, even close to a month.

For breakfast actually, we serve from the best source of ingredients in the island. If you have a special diet, such as vegan, we can provide these customized breakfast offerings, also complimentary. It's just for the asking. We've wanted to delight our guests.

To add, not only that we take care of our guests well, we take good care of our employees.

Challenges, innovation, and great service is our way of life at One Crescent Place.

Cheers,