“Couples Delight!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mango-Ray Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boracay
Mango-Ray Resort
You added Mango-Ray Resort to your Saves list
Ranked #88 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
East Coast
“Couples Delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Traveled with my girlfriend, looking for a small, well located, B&B type of "resort" (that term really doesn't apply to the White Beach section, where all the beachfront places are small.) This place was perfect for what I was looking for. The transfer service provided (for a small, and I mean small, fee) was absolutely on target, waiting for us at every stop along the way once we arrived in Caticlan, even though our flight was delayed, then re-routed to Kalibo (Caticlan does not have lights, so plan your flights to arrive early in the day, otherwise typical weather delays may cause you the same trouble we had.) The travel escort they provided managed our luggage and arranged the transports effortlessly.

Once we arrived (7.5 hours late, at 11pm) Leah, who I had made all arrangements and reservations with, greeted us and showed us to our room. I have to point out that this was now after 11pm, and she had been scheduled to leave at 6, but wanted to be sure we arrived and were comfortably settled before she departed for the night.

Breakfast was a joy! They serve until 11 or 11:30am, so you don't have to be up at the crack of dawn (While I think breakfast starts at 6:30 or 7, I never saw those times) The bar area is nice, easy-going, and relaxed, with a pool table for free if you are a guest. The lunch was very inexpensive, plenty of food, and tasty. Not gourmet, but as I wasn't expecting gourmet, I wasn't disappointed. Overall, I was very happy with the food service. The staff was pleasant and helpful. As is the custom in the Philippines, if you want something, you have to call your server; they don't stand around waiting for you to ask, but everytime I called they were right there and got my request right every time.

We booked the Suite, which is the largest couples room available, on the top floor. The room was huge! The king size bed was comfortable (I slept VERY soundly with none of the usual tossing and turning) and the TV was big enough to be viewed from anywhere in the room. The bathroom has a Jacuzzi bath for two, which was wonderful, and plenty of hot water to enjoy a hot bath. I have to point out that the bathroom is separated from the main room by an eight foot wall, while the room has 12-14 foot ceilings. This means that all sounds travel. If this embarrasses you, perhaps this room is not the best choice. Most importantly, the room has a very large balcony that overlooks the beach and the sand walkway that all the tourists use to travel from one location to another (Their version of a boardwalk).

The location is a 1 minute walk from D'Mall, where all the best shopping is, and where there is a ton of great food to indulge in. Food and bar service is very convenient in both directions from Mango Ray's. The beach was small at high tide, but that was okay, since the water was gorgeous and warm. We experienced more rain than sun on this trip (June is the start of the rainy season, which proved to be all too true) but it didn't put a damper on any activity we chose to indulge in, in fact the sailing was even better due to the higher winds that blow during this season.

I would highly recommend this location for couples, honeymooners, and island adventurers who are looking for peace and quiet, with the option to get a little crazy without having to go miles and miles away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LFrogger

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
baguio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

The hotel rooms were very spacious, clean and very nice, we enjoyed our stay there because it was a beachfront hotel so it was very comfortable for us. The room was very comfortable with ref, TV, water heater and a fancy bathroom! The rooms also provide couples with the privacy you need and a relaxing terrace. The service was good but the staff were not very friendly and welcoming..Regardless, I highly recommend it!

• Liked — the room amenities and style
  • Disliked — unwelcoming staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank matee10
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

Mango Ray was reasonably nice. It wasn't excellent, but in Boracay, excellent requires you to spend closer to the $200 a night range. All things considered, it was a nice stay considering for $100 a night you got a nice, large room with a comfy bed, aircon, mini-fridge, nice bathroom with hot water, a huge TV with satallite cable, a little porch, your own private beach section (by private I mean only guests were allowed to use the chairs, etc) and a choice of some fairly decent breakfast options.

I enjoyed the fact that it was small place with only 10 rooms I think, so you always had seating out on the beach, and you didn't have to compete with swarms of Korean tourists like at other places. The restaurant is pretty sweet and the bar equally nice. The service was generally good, but you have to realize that in the Philippines, as with a lot of other countries, a) they don't work for tips and b) they just do things more slowly, so if your cup of coffee takes 5 minutes to get, relax! You're on the beach.

The location was nice I thought, reasonably close to the action without being directly in the action, so it was peaceful, but you still had a nice choice of places to eat and drink, all within a 5 minute walk.

I thought the rooms could be a little nicer, they had a slightly outdated feel to them, so maybe just some new linens and an update to the bathroom would make it a little better. Also, do your best to get a room on the second floor, I found the ones downstairs to be a tad gloomy. It would be nice if the staff eased up a little bit too. While most were perfectly nice, I was accused a few times of not being a guest when I asked for a towel, or walked in the restaurant during its "closed hours," without the staff actually bothering to ask me if I was a guest or not.

Overall it was a nice stay at a small place in a good location. I would have liked to pay maybe $80 a night instead, but it was still a good value for the money.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no free transport from Caticlan
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank theoldswitcheroo
oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

Upon arriving in room, partner showered and found feces stain on supposedly clean towel. Shower would not fully drain and green gunk came up through the drain hole. It was humid and the airconditioner would only allow you to set at 17 celsius. It was not enough to cool the room and a ceiling fan would not keep it cool enough to enjoy the room.
One hour and a half after eating breakfast at the resort, I came down with traveler's diarrhea. I suspect from some undercooked eggs.
Owner is foreign (European?) and was very rude. They have beach chairs, but most ly are uncomfortable web ones. We found one chair that was comfortable, and partner used it. They ordered him out of it as "everyone knows it is reserved for the owner's mother." Unbelievable treatment for a hotel guest. The gutless owner who would only send the poor staff out to speak for him. Later in the day, the owner tracked down my partner and shook his finger in my partner's face and called him rude.
We would have left that day, but they forced us to pay for the whole stay and we had paid over $100 a night. Thank goodness it was only a short stay.
In my 25 years of traveling, I have never been subjected to such treatment and it was the worst experience I have ever had. Avoid at all costs.

• Liked — it was at a good location near transportation
  • Disliked — feces stain on bathroom towel
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank awriter00
philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2007

First the good news: the room was quite good. Now the bad news: the price was too high for what was offered and the quality of the staff is appaling.

Reception staff who do not know whether the hotel is offering internet or who are not aware what the price is of brochures which are displayed at reception. 5 different persons who contact us at 5 different occasions to discuss the transfer to the airport.

The daily breakfast was a struggle. Flexibility is not a strong point. If you order an omelet you are in problems because the American breakfast only allows for scrambled eggs or fried eggs. Asking for cheese and ham instead of ham only is another no-no. Fortunately, if you complain it is suddenly possible. If was interesting to see how the staff was reaching over the table or how the staff was handling the cuttlery - (grabbing the serrated part). We had a lot of time studying the whole process because it only took an average of 20 minutes to serve the breakfast. Getting coffee which resembled coffee rather than lightish brown water is another problem which we were not able to resolve.

Fortunately there is good coffee and food close by - try Aria cafe.

Mango Ray seems to be a classic case of amateurism in resort management which one finds more in Asian countries. An expatriate goes to Asia and likes it so much that he decides to find a way to stay. What better way to do that than to open a restaurant. However restaurants do not make a lot of money; room accomodation makes a lot more, especially if you are able to charge from $ 100 - $140 plus 12% tax as Mango Ray does. These are prices for which you are able to get 5 star accomodation in many of the capitals in Asia. Unfortunately Mango Ray does not in any way compare to these 5 star hotels in terms of service provided.

• Liked — the room and location
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank white_tulip777
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

The rooms at Mango Ray were very spacious! We had one of the rooms with the big bathrooms too. It seems like quite a new place. Extremely clean. Plenty of fresh towels. New TV in the room, and a decent refrigerator. Unfortunately we were only there for 2 nights and didn't try the food in the resort. It's located right in the middle of White Beach, near to all the bars and restaurants and shops, but the rooms were set back a little and we were surprised at how quiet it was. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — location, big and clean rooms
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple