“Excellent experience!”

Mango-Ray Resort
Ranked #93 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
“Excellent experience!”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in august 2011 for three weeks and found it beautiful!!! It was our home away from home on faraway Boracay with really, warm and calm atmosphere ( even too calm, at 11p.m. all activities within are stopped and the hotel falls asleep). Special thanks to Mr. Morris, the owner! He participates in every little step of his "kid", controlling and observing everything with his strict eye! That is why the service, all surroundings, hostess, food, etc. are on the top level! When you get inside Mango Ray you forget that you live in the thick of things (the very heart of station 2, beside D-mall) The natural forestry, furniture made of wood, white colored cabanas, even the small pond with gold fish involve you into nirvana state! The decor of the rooms under the different names of flowers and birds is also very unique. They are very spacious with comfy verandas each. Room service is so quick that you can hardly notice the process, when you come back from your breakfast (which could have been more various, by the way) the room is ready, new towels and linen-it goes without saying!!! To the conclusion, we say hello to Mr. Morris (I hope he will read this), and thank you very much for the red caviar you gifted us))))), that was a real pleasure! We will come back, be sure!!!

Room Tip: Choose upper floor!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Anchuta

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Marchtrenk, Austria
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I had stayed for 6 nights in this family atmosphere hotel and have to say that I was very positively surprised.

Firstly I got a very good deal when booking the hote online. Funny enough, it would have way more expensive when booking direct. I asked at the reception before I move there and it would have cost about $ 20 per night more then I have paid online.

The hotel consist of only a few rooms, I guess they have about 10 rooms, only. Saying so the rooms are very nice appointed with an semi open bathroom/toilet towards the bed/living room area. Due to this set up the rooms look very specious. Also the high ceiling contributes to this impression. Furniture are made out of natural colored wood with a wood flooring. rooms has about 40-45 sqm, I would say. Unfortunately no sea view available, but as it is set back from the beach promenade, but still right in the middle of the happening place. MInibar is an empty fridge, so bring your own, which you can only buy in the hotel..... :-( Would have been great if there would be at least a comp. bottle of mineral water per day.

They have good food, however relatively price in comparison to other place around. If you are looking for Swiss specialties like "Roesti" you are at the right address. Owner/Management is Swiss.

Service, like most place I had visited is not really delivering what the hardware of the hotel is promising. Detached employees that do not really care too much whether you are there or not and once see you will be served with a semi neglecting attention that makes you not really stay there for too long. I guess this is also the reason that the hotel bar, despite the fact that the hotel is in the middle of the happening places and has a great beach area in front, is hardly every busy.

Overall, still good value for money, at least during the shoulder season and I would go back there because of the rooms.

Housekeeping needs a bit more attention to details as the lady who came to my room did really only the necessary during the 6 days I had stayed with them. I hope that a deep cleaning is due after every check out?

Don't hesitate to stay there if you look for a good location, good accommodation and do not bother too much about attentive service, which you will certainly not get there.

Hope there review helped and keep in mind, I would suggest the place and yes, would go back there, too.

Room Tip: great TV, large screen and attention to details regarding the facilities.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank JohnA1970
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for the week. Overall the hotel was a good value for the money that we spent, The hotel is very close to D mall and is located in the central part of the beach. Being here saved us lots of tricycle fares since everything was close by. Our rooms included free breakfast, depending on the waitress it could be an adventure. Sometimes we received the correct food and sometimes not. Make sure if you stay here and want your room cleaned every day to put out a sign to make up your bed or they won't clean your room. The staff was nice and the rooms were big and having a balcony was really great. No ocean view from most of the rooms, but when it is that close to you, you really don't need to look at it all the time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeffstl34
Nice, France
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We had several meals at Mango Ray during our recent stay on Boracay and used the facilities. We loved the Mango Ray experience every time. We did not stay at the resort but we have seen the rooms and they look very comfortable and well appointed so we would stay there next time. As for the meals - food is excellent and in my opinion is not over priced at all. The Kinilau Tangigue is fantastic. We met with the Owner - Moritz - who is absolutely charming and is a Boracay legend in that he was an early pioneer of the island before it reached anywhere near the levels of popularity that is has now. Moritz's staff are hardworking and extremely polite so I really don't understand the previous reviews. We would highly recommend Mango Ray for its location (absolutely in the center of the beach), great food and service and simply for its place in the folkloric history of Boracay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim E
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 9, 2010

Check in was quick and we were shown our room which was surpisingly spacious, with a raised, vaulted ceiling, making it seem even more so. The bathroom is of good size as well, though showing it's age.

The bed was large enough for two and moderately comfortable. As usual, I disliked the pillows. Need to remember to bring my own when I travel! Empty fridge is in the room as well as a desk for my laptop. The tv had lots of channels on it. Free wifi.

The hotel is located right on the beach, station 2 which is a strong selling point. Had a nice breakfast with an ocean view!

Check out was quick and friendly.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank whileitravel
East Coast
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Traveled with my girlfriend, looking for a small, well located, B&B type of "resort" (that term really doesn't apply to the White Beach section, where all the beachfront places are small.) This place was perfect for what I was looking for. The transfer service provided (for a small, and I mean small, fee) was absolutely on target, waiting for us at every stop along the way once we arrived in Caticlan, even though our flight was delayed, then re-routed to Kalibo (Caticlan does not have lights, so plan your flights to arrive early in the day, otherwise typical weather delays may cause you the same trouble we had.) The travel escort they provided managed our luggage and arranged the transports effortlessly.

Once we arrived (7.5 hours late, at 11pm) Leah, who I had made all arrangements and reservations with, greeted us and showed us to our room. I have to point out that this was now after 11pm, and she had been scheduled to leave at 6, but wanted to be sure we arrived and were comfortably settled before she departed for the night.

Breakfast was a joy! They serve until 11 or 11:30am, so you don't have to be up at the crack of dawn (While I think breakfast starts at 6:30 or 7, I never saw those times) The bar area is nice, easy-going, and relaxed, with a pool table for free if you are a guest. The lunch was very inexpensive, plenty of food, and tasty. Not gourmet, but as I wasn't expecting gourmet, I wasn't disappointed. Overall, I was very happy with the food service. The staff was pleasant and helpful. As is the custom in the Philippines, if you want something, you have to call your server; they don't stand around waiting for you to ask, but everytime I called they were right there and got my request right every time.

We booked the Suite, which is the largest couples room available, on the top floor. The room was huge! The king size bed was comfortable (I slept VERY soundly with none of the usual tossing and turning) and the TV was big enough to be viewed from anywhere in the room. The bathroom has a Jacuzzi bath for two, which was wonderful, and plenty of hot water to enjoy a hot bath. I have to point out that the bathroom is separated from the main room by an eight foot wall, while the room has 12-14 foot ceilings. This means that all sounds travel. If this embarrasses you, perhaps this room is not the best choice. Most importantly, the room has a very large balcony that overlooks the beach and the sand walkway that all the tourists use to travel from one location to another (Their version of a boardwalk).

The location is a 1 minute walk from D'Mall, where all the best shopping is, and where there is a ton of great food to indulge in. Food and bar service is very convenient in both directions from Mango Ray's. The beach was small at high tide, but that was okay, since the water was gorgeous and warm. We experienced more rain than sun on this trip (June is the start of the rainy season, which proved to be all too true) but it didn't put a damper on any activity we chose to indulge in, in fact the sailing was even better due to the higher winds that blow during this season.

I would highly recommend this location for couples, honeymooners, and island adventurers who are looking for peace and quiet, with the option to get a little crazy without having to go miles and miles away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LFrogger
baguio
Reviewed December 8, 2008

The hotel rooms were very spacious, clean and very nice, we enjoyed our stay there because it was a beachfront hotel so it was very comfortable for us. The room was very comfortable with ref, TV, water heater and a fancy bathroom! The rooms also provide couples with the privacy you need and a relaxing terrace. The service was good but the staff were not very friendly and welcoming..Regardless, I highly recommend it!

• Liked — the room amenities and style
  • Disliked — unwelcoming staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank matee10