“A fabulous budget trip!”

Frendz Resort Boracay
Ranked #14 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed February 21, 2010

My boyfriend and I recently spent 7 nights at Frendz and had a great time! While not luxurious like many of the resorts you see littered along White Beach, the price and the friendliness of the staff more than make up for it. Frendz is about an easy 5-minute walk from the beach. We actually found that it was nicer to be away from the beach. The bungalows are surrounded by a well-kept garden area. There were flowers blooming outside our window. We stayed in a private room, no a/c. A/C isn't necessary unless you aren't used to the heat. The room was spacious and cutesy. We liked the colorful theme and all of the wood. Everything was clean and worked well.

The resort has a nice meeting area with a bar and food. The breakfast was especially nice. During our stay, most of the travelers seemed to be ex-pat English teachers (like ourselves) or backpacking around Asia. The resort seems to attract a friendly, young crowd which is great for meeting people while you're traveling.

The service is what really makes the place a great deal. The new owner is very generous and friendly - he saw us off at 6:30a.m. and even made us coffee/tea! All of the staff is welcoming and helpful, too.

And the price is great, considering much of everything on the island is overpriced.

Overall, a great experience. We would definitely recommend them to anyone planning a trip to Boracay!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MSillyO
There are newer reviews for Frendz Resort Boracay

Reviewed February 12, 2010

We had a little bit of a problem getting there , but once we arrived, we were treated very nicely. 4 weeks ago, the owner of Frendz Resort had changed and it turned out that Reinhardt (the new owner from Austria) and his staff provide very good service. Rooms were simple, stylish and clean. Our room had AC, hot water, fridge and a TV. Very good value for money. We met many nice people there and everybody agreed that this place should be recommended to anybody who is looking for a nice budget stay in Boracay. They have good food, too.
The atmosphere in the bar is very laid back and is a great place to meet new people. The staff is very attentive to whatever u need, if you have a question, just ask them and they will try their best to help you with it. It has a very family feel to the place, that we certainly recommend any traveler passing by Boracay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mitsumaya
Reviewed November 22, 2009

So we're sorry Steve that this review is so overdue but we're now back in the real world after a year living the dream! Frendz, what can I say, we went for a week and stayed a month!

When you first arrive at Frendz, via a dodgy field from the back (thanks to Boracay's local government now not allowing the boats to drop you off at the beach) you wonder where the hell you are but as soon as you check in and meet the amazing staff you start to get an idea of what your in for!

Bginning with a free welcome drink the owner and all of the staff (who are all part of the same family) do everything they possibly can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible! The rooms are basic but very clean and all had TV's and fridges and balconys atthe front.

The bar was quality and the food really good value for money. Both myself and my partner couldn't recommend this place enough!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SteveandMaja
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Pros-
Beautiful tropical gardens
Cheap Cheap Cheap
Wonderfully friendly staff
Great chicken sandwich and fries
Internet for Cheap
Simple rooms, great for crashing after a long day of activities and partying
Clean, blankets towels changed often

Cons-
No hot water
No view
5 mins walk to the beach

This place is ideal for young groups of friends on a cheap accommodation budget. It's clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank reddoh
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I won't stay here again. I'm sure that the private rooms are fine, but the dorm rooms (which I stayed in) could use some work. Frendz didn't lie, and it is very cheap at 500 pesos per night, so you get what you pay for. The dorms fit four people into a room, and they're very good about trying to give you the entire room to yourself. The staff were all incredibly nice and helpful.

None of the dorm rooms have air conditioning. Each room has two fans. There aren't any windows; it's basically a wall that's covered with mosquito netting. I was still bitten at night even thought I covered myself with mosquito repellant. Also expect termites or whatever they are, since these are wooden bungalows. The beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean enough, but I HATE BUGS and I got sick with the fluctuating temperatures. It was the kind of wet cold that chilled me through the bones, since it was raining. The walls are also paper-thin (quite literally), so make sure you bring ear plugs. The people next door to me weren't even trying to be noisy; they were whispering and I could still hear every word. And I wanted to shoot that rooster when it started crowing at 4:30am.

One bathroom (as in one toilet, one sink, and one shower) for all four rooms to use. It wasn't a horrible issue while I was there, because the rooms weren't full, but if they had been full, then there would have been 16 people sharing one bathroom. No hot water at all for the dorm rooms, just cold water. The toilet also needs to be replaced.

The common area was outdoors, in the middle of the circle of bungalows. No mosquito netting here, so make sure you bring repellant! There's a free pool table, and a TV. They also have a bar and serve food (didn't try it, so can't comment on it. Also had a laptop computer for internet, but they charged a fee. Free wireless if you bring your own laptop.

They certainly didn't do any false advertising, and it was fine for how cheap it was, but I've realized that I need more comfortable accommodations where I can get a good night's rest. Between the bugs, the fluctuating temperatures and the noise, it wasn't a very good vacation for me until I moved out. That said, though, it would have probably been absolutely fine if I had stayed in a private room.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank carembear
Reviewed May 3, 2009

I read the review from Makati Boy even before we booked our accomodation in Frendz, and I don't know why I never really paid attention to it. For our 3 nights stay in Boracay, we hardly slept because the partitions between the walls were so thin that we could hear every word in the other room. Plus, the stairs were so narrow that you have to hold on real tight otherwise you would fall. So it's dangerous for kids to stay here. Also when we got there, the tv got busted and had to be brought to the shop. Although it was repaired the same day, this just tells you how old their stuff are - the tv was obviously bought from a surplus shop. If you would read other reviews, it's true that their faucet is leaking and also very rusty. The walk from the beach to the cottage is also very exhausting. I would also have to agree that the alleyway going there is scary,dark,and smelly and you would have to walk thru rocks and dirt. Plus they have a lot of fees that you could never imagine. If you request for an additional roll of tissue, it's p25?! If you would read the owner's comment at hostelworld.com, it's not true that the extra tissues are free because it's indicated in the bathroom that it's not.For an extra towel, it's P40. We stayed in a fan cooled bungalow house. And in the loft, it was real hot.They only supplied us with only 2 fans, and there are 3 beds. An additional fan is p200, and that's per day. I don't think that a small fan would cost that much electricity in just one day. Not to mention that they would also charge you lots of fees if you would stain their beddings or towels with tattoo-from p300 to p800, does not matter if the bedding is old and faded when it could be removed by p20 worth of detergent. I think this is their profitable way of getting rid of old beddings. And since we can hear the people in the other room, they were talking about how the owner were charging them p50 to have their corned beef cooked in the kitchen. If I was the owner, I would give them courtesy since these people have stayed for quite a while already. There are also mosquitoes everywhere since the surroundings are not well kept. I would also have to agree with Makati Boy that the owner is very unfriendly and an opportunist. She was saying sorry when the tv got busted but was smiling at the same time. That's not very sincere if you would ask me.She also charged us additional for 2 hours when we paid the full amount once we got there.She is really hungry for money. My family was really disappointed, and would never ever return there or recommend this resort to anybody. I was in the call center industry for 5 years and I know what great customer service should be. So believe me, they are far from it! There are lots of other resorts in Boracay where you can stay for the same price and much, much better accomodation so please don't be fooled by this one. We were really sorry we stayed here.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank magnitude27
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Boracay Island and Frendz Budget Resort.

This is the text from an email full of pictures that I sent to all my closest friends as soon as I got nack from the best holiday of my life in Feb this year. Unfortunately youmust imagine the photos. I'll attach some at the bottom.

The island and beaches are extremely beautiful, clean, unhurried and also very safe 24 hrs a day.

This beach is a 2 mins flat stroll from Frendz Resort. Brilliant white sand that is
thoroughly cleaned of any litter every morning.

Doing interesting touristy things in the safe, cool, calm, crystal-clear water.

Couples on the beach at sunset. So romantic.

PHP 300 or so to hire a boat .

JingJing loved the local food. The little lime is called calamanci.
We are at a 24hr eatery nearby called N'Joy Goto Mix. Cheap and delicious
with big servings of hamburgers or local food. Most customers are locals. The
staff were both friendly and interesting.

Goto: a rice soup PHP55. for a big bowl at N'Joy Goto Mix eatery. Yummy!

JJ at left at N'Joy eatery open 24 hrs. 5 min safe walk from Frendz.

N'Joy's senior cook on the 8pm to 8am shift.

Her dancing assistant at N'Joy. The music was carrying from a nearby nightclub and she was swirling away as she worked.

Line up at the bar by the grill and goto cookers. (pronounced got oh.)

3 wheel bike ride from Caticlan airport to the ferries that take you across the narrow strait to Boracay Is. Frendz can provide a guide to meet you at the airport.
The cost of PHP 500 per person including ferry tickets, motortrikes, taxes, official fees etc is well worth it. We were enjoying our complimentary welcoming drink at Frendz 30 calm minutes after touchdown at Caticlan, the nearest airport.

It would have been a daunting maze of unfamiliar challenges without the guide from Frendz. In fact there is a scam run by some hotels where they have a guy dressed in a "Tourism Office" uniform ask people at the airport where they are staying; and then tell them (falsely) that their hotel is overbooked or closed suddenly for repairs etc and offer apologies and alternative (more expensive usually) accommodation.

Some Chinese ladies didn't go for the airport pick-up service. They arrived at Frendz, nearly in tears, a bewildering 3 hrs after touchdown.

Frendz resort - it's the best place to stay
genuine hospitality, great location, good price, clean, wonderfully helpful, happy staff.
A little bit basic; but that is part of its charm. Check Lonely Planet and HostelWorld for
reviews. Just won the "Best Budget Hotel in the Philippines" award and is rated No 7 of all the 300+ hotels in Boracay at any price. Lush tropical garden views, no sea view.

view from sign in pic above. Rooms to each side and reception/restaurant/bar ahead.

Starting to get a very good feeling about this place.

Front desk; no credit cards but very good (best - straight from internet) exchange rate for your money.

Steve. The Aussie owner. He just wants to make sure everybody has a good time. Money is definitely secondary. He will direct you away from trouble and towards great experiences. He suggested buying fresh produce and getting his staff to cook it.

Family staff. Steve has given them shares in the resort. It shows in the outstanding level of friendly service.
I am a polite but fussy guest. The only time they said "no" to one of my requests was when I tried to borrow a broom.
They insisted of sweeping up my spilled sugar for me right away.

More of the sisters who really run the place. They come from an area of the Philippines
that is famous for the hospitality and graciousness of its people.

The communal area at Frendz . People with notebooks are accessing the free broadband WiFi. Smiles all round all the time. Well nearly - (99.9%): I did hear one jerk complaining to smiling staff that the birds were too noisy.

A Frendz breakfast.

2 verandahs and 2 rooms. We were in the far one (N0 6). about PHP 2,300 per night
with aircon, fan and warm water. Cable TV, lots of channels but mediocre reception on some of them.

Our balcony with comfy sofa.

Cool dark rooms. Great after the glare of the beach. Lovely tropical bamboo design accents. The beds are fantastically comfortable. We had a similar mattress at a 5 star hotel in Manila. I want to find out the brand and buy one for home. The room rains fine sawdust from the bamboo. Part of the tropical experience. There are cloth catchers above the beds so none falls there.

Clean, marble-lined bathroom with western toilet at Frendz.
Warm and cool water. That's an electric heater built into the shower head.
I mostly shampooed & soaped up with warm and then had a long rinse off with cool.
Referring to the water as "Hot" or "Cold" is just not accurate.
The showers were very basic but definitely adequate, pretty and clean.
Almost no mosquitoes or other biteys.

I usually hate karaoke with a passion . Just loved this night. Sam, with the microphone, is a professional singer on the 5 star hotel circuit. Her boyfriend (in white T shirt) and I induced her to to sing by promising to be her dancing boy chorus line.

Singing staff. They joined in and matched the professional singer for talent and
outshone her with their enthusiasm and infectious sense of fun. A great party followed.

Staff dining and rest area with a typical Aussie BBQ at right. Guests can use the BBQ for
a tiny payment for gas. Better still, the staff will BBQ your food and serve it to you for a very modest fee. The staff get the balance of being friendly and engaging while giving you space just right.

They charged us PHP 50 (about $1) to cook these two fish in banana leaves on the barbie and serve them in the restaurant area. Coconuts opened for free with a smile.

Frendz staff at check-in desk. So genuinely friendly. Sister Del in red. Azis in the white T-shirt. Plenty of eye candy for the girls too.

A delightful visitor in our room. Stefanie is Belle's daughter.

Yumyum, another of Belle's daughters, who got more and more friendly as she got to know JJ and me. The resort is definitely "kid friendly" but I don't know of any special programs for them.

There is also a smallish, but good, library.

More family. Their big smiley "hello, good morning" is a great mood setter.

Fighting cocks. The acoustically dominant bird species. Note the leg tether.

Why the roosters are so loud. There are quite a few of these rooster farms dotted around Boracay, plus most families have a couple of cocks in training.
The cocks crow all night. It drives some people crazy. Most (me included) don't mind at all. If you object to the sound of roosters 24/7, don't come to Boracay; or stay in a concrete block hotel with all the windows closed and the air conditioner set on high.

Transport for less than PHP 1000 a day. No gears, no license required; just point and drive.

Sailing late arvo

sailing at sunset (40 mins later - same boat)

JJ is not a swimmer but soon got the hang of sailing. The boats are beautiful, seaworthy, light and fast.

Morning waiting for the sunrise.

On the water's edge with an icy cold beer just after sunset and a long day of activities.
Happy hour, two frosty San Miguel for less than RMB 10 ($1:50).

The beach. Boats are limited to a couple of set places to come ashore and all jet-skis are towed more than a kilometre offshore before they are allowed to start their motors. "Ah, the tranquillity!"

There are a million good things to do during the day. All reasonably priced.

Island boat cruises, glass bottom boats, scuba diving, snorkelling, underwater reef walking with a diving helmet, jet skis. para gliding, para-sailing, wind surfing, sailing, cave exploring plus shopping, shopping, shopping, shopping, shopping, and delicious eating, eating, eating.

So many different types of restaurants. Pilipino, Thai, American, Australian, German, Swiss, Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, British, French etc even Mongolian! Plus lots of bars, quite a few with live music, and nightclubs.

Just watching the sun set into the sea is one of the highlights of the day. Sunrise is a less crowded choice.

Best holiday of my life.

John Haigh (Da Fu)