WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #16 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Shanghai, China
“No air con and bugs!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The resort is well located to get to White Beach (5mins walk down one straight path!) however, if you want to go to the main road to access the rest of the island (again about 5 mins walk) you have to walk through a dark little alley which didnt feel particularly safe to me! But this is SE Asia, which is pretty safe I guess. And if you just want to go to the beach it won't be a problem.

The rooms are like large huts made from wicker/wood. Our room was number 11. If they try give you this refuse it!! No air con, just a fan. And then as we were leaving the fan broke!! On 2 nights we awoke to find these weird flies on our bed! There were ants in the shower too.

If you're used to SE Asia you probably know that insects are everywhere so if that doesn't bother you then book this place as its cheap!! If it does bother you, stay in a building made from actual brick and concrete on the beach front!

Also, there was no wifi in the room! We had to go to the crowded restaurant area each time we wanted to be on the net. Also, we were unable each night to get to the restaurant - always too full!

On plus side the staff (Joanna especially) have us a really friendly welcome. And they arranged the transfer from Kaliningrad to the resort door which was super convenient!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Haley R
roserein, Owner at Frendz Resort Boracay, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Just a few comments from our side: 1) Your major complaint was that we do not have aircondition in our rooms. You booked a room with no aircon, note that we have different room types which can be booked: one with aircon and another one without aircon. 2) The other complaint related to bugs: The island gets infiltrated 2-3 times a year with ‘termite flies’ for a couple of days. Usually in the months of April/May or Oct/November, even sometimes beachfront areas are affected. Whenever this occurs we are using some insect sprays to reduce the issue like all the hotels are doing. However, we also try to limit the usage to ensure a healthy environment. 3) No wifi in the room, yes you are right. We do not claim to have wifi in the rooms, it is only in our restaurant/bar area.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed my last three nights at boracay at FRENDz after reading all the reviews i was wondering what kind of place was it! and yes! is a super friendly, cozy and u meet people from everywhere and is cheap!.
Is located in the middle of station 1,2 is a 3minutes wlaking from the beach (from an alley next to Toast wine bar). is close and far from the noise and they have sunbeds in fron of the beach were u can realx and swim.
They have happy hour and live music som nights. free wifi.
I stayed at the mix dorms during the holy week... the hostel seem be super packed and busy but i manage to get a bed.
There was no ac a the room.... there was one day i woke up all sweating coz it was so hot.
Staff was super friendly and will help u we the information u need.
Ill defenitly come back to this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank elena s
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

If you are looking for an amazing place to stay this is your place. Friendly staff, minutes for the beach and amazing places to eat. The vibe at Frendz is what Boracay is all about. Clean, safe, and wonderful food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

my boyfriend and i stayed here for 5d4n and it was really wzorth it esp all of the staffs were ilOcanO sO my boyfriend gOt easily acquianted with them, we arrived early and thry gave us welcOme drink, we were naot able tao check in early because room was still occupied but we had our things deposited in their safety room and went away for bfast, the staff then texted us that the room is now ready. it was very homey and the loved our breakfast the next day. they gave us bag with beach towels and they always make up our room, though the aircon wasnt working until the last day but they were kind enough to give discount for the accommodation, i love the veranda of each cabin. and the bed was super comfortable. wl definitely stay here again...

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blushincha
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I didn't have reservations (bad idea in boracay) Saved my life ! fantastic prices. clean and comfortable. I got to try out both the rooms and the dorms and it was really a very pleasant experience. The dorms were very comfortable and for the price, very reasonable. you have a choice with the rooms as well. more money = more comfort. but irrespective, very cosy and comfortable. Made amazing friends, i do hope we stay in touch. Dont look anywhere else and please make sure you are there on fridays for happy hour evenings. it is pretty much in the centre of everything and all the nice places are pretty much walkable from the resort. I would definitely go back again !

Room Tip: depends on the pocket. Choose what fits your wallet, you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank kk506
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We are happy with our stay at Friendz Resort. We have confirmed the good reviews that we have read about it and would be happy to stay again at Friendz. We also appreciate them serving us our ordered breakfast at 5AM even if they normally open their bar/restaurant at 7AM just to ensure that we would be ready for our expected 6pm pickup from MyBoracayGuide staff (transport provider). In addition, Reinhart and his family really sees to it that their guests are having a great stay at their place.

Room Tip: Paying extra for a private and air conditiioned room is so worth it because you will have a private...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Romina A
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

When I was leaving, I had the thought in the mind, "That could very well be the best, not one of the best, but THE BEST, hostel experience I've ever had." I only had a short 2 night stay here at Frendz, but if this was the beginning of my vacation rather than the end, there is no doubt I would have cancelled some other plans and just stayed here longer. It all began when I was making my booking and had very friendly and prompt communication with Jonah about my reservation. I ended up getting a deluxe private room with A/C for the first night and moved to a standard fan only private room the second night, since that was what was available. The fan cools off the room really well though...I just felt like treating myself to some A/C on my birthday. I was greeted with two welcome drinks due to arriving on my B-day, which was a nice touch from the very friendly owner, Reinhard.

The best part of my stay here was meeting the other travelers staying here. It's an extremely welcoming environment to meet others here. They have a reserved spot on the beach, which is just a 2 min. walk away, with umbrellas, chairs, and the ability to put drinks and food on your room bill so no need to bring cash to the beach. On Friday night, the hostel had a happy hour/dinner special with live music from a local artist. They also let a few guests come up and sing/play a few songs, including myself. It was a great start to the night and got everyone in with a group to enjoy the rest of the night. I came to Boracay to party and chill at the beach. This place helped make that happen with some awesome people. Thanks Frendz!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo