“What a beautiful hotel”

Ranked #18 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
New York City, New York
“What a beautiful hotel”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Really amazing hotel everything i expected from my stay in Boracay.
Very close to the beach. you can go through beaten path and be there in 5 mins walking distance.
Great breakfast. really healthy and fresh breakfast everyday.
Their spa treatment was also amazing!
I did a package for like 5 hours and it was amazing! well worth it :)

They do not have dinner service or lunch service there so you can either order online or take a tricycle for very very cheap price to the center (70 php per way per car)
It is quite far from happening area so you either have to walk long time ( which i do not recommend ) or you can take tricycle everywhere and we did not have any problem since tricycle was very very cheap.

stuff were very welcoming and warm.
friendly and acommodating.
It is almost like living in a nature ( like a jungle ) with beach in walking distance.
room were decorated very nice with hibiscus and i was totally impressed as i walked into the room.

They also offer very good bath in room if you like and it was very good it even came with small drink and food.

At night there are a lot of frogs around... like seriously big one which is bigger than your fist lol

just do not be scared ;)

I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here and i would love to go back again .
oh and a lot of mosquitos. so be prepared with sprays.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Freetown, Sierra Leone
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed for three nights in the pool villa in August 2013. Loved the lay out, design and furniture and the out door shower/pool area. Very happy with the villa and the amenities, so the extra price we paid was well worth the value we got. Mandala was very prompt in answering all our email queries and also organized airport pick up which was great.

On the down side, the restaurant was being renovated, so they only served breakfast, which had a limited choice. But there was an option of ordering via phone from nearby restaurants. Also due to a shortage of restaurant staff on some days they were unable to deliver the breakfast to room, which was a bit annoying. Not sure whether the situation has changed now.

We also had the spa treatment at Mandala. Although it was good, it did not have the wow factor like we have experienced in some other places. It could be also because of our high expectations after reading previous review of the spa. Mandala was a bit away from the main attractions/beach, but this was not a problem as the tuk-tuk taxis were freely available (the hotel will call one for you).

Despite the small negatives, we really did have a nice relaxing time in Boracay. Although it is a bit expensive, I would happily recommend Mandala spa to anyone especially the pool villa.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ferney-Voltaire, France
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We spent 3 nights at Mandala resort from 1st to 4th of January 2014, my wife and I and our 2 kids and were located in one of the villas which has everything (beautiful main room with decorations, very large bed, flat screen TV, beautiful large bathroom with huge bathtub, private terrasse, outside shower, etc.). The other very good points are the relaxing tropical garden , the private breakfast patio, the fact that this is far from the noisy areas of the island, the (nearly) absence of mosquitoes in the room; there were some annoying points though: there is no pool, and the beach is exactly 12mns away ;the staff only speaks to the man (how are you sir ?) even if my wife and kids are walking with me (they call my wife "miss") ; the fact that it is impossible to book any spa treatment at this time of the year, even as a guest; and the fact that when paying the bill at the end of the stay, they spend 15mns calling other people and asking whether you should pay more before they finally find the prepaid reservation made 6 months ago to confirm that all is in order.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank pascal m
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed with Mandala for 4 nights during the first leg of our honeymoon in Boracay and had an absolutely amazing time.

First and foremost I'd like to say that the entire staff is first-rate; accommodation, calm, friendly, and enjoyable to be around. That starts at the top with the manager, Liza, and is maintained by the receptionists, therapists, and chefs.

We had a passport issue when we left the states (my wife's passport has less than 6 months validity), so we had to stop in South Korea for the first 3 days of our trip and obtain an emergency passport. The days we spent in Korea were actually supposed to be spent in the Mandala pool villa and we were SOOOO disappointed that we were going to miss those days. However, Liza actually worked with us to honor the days we had originally booked in the pool villa AND allowed us to slide our additional reservations in their garden villas out a few days so that we could continue to stay at Mandala even though we were supposed to move to a different, far less nice location on Back Beach. We can't thank the Mandala team enough for working with our numerous trip complications. They always made us feel welcome and were incredibly reasonable.

I could continue to rave about the staff and team, but I will refrain with the exception of one last comment; the guys who make breakfast are super friendly, funny, and great to talk to. We probably spent an hour an half at the breakfast table every day just to enjoy their company. And the breakfast is delicious and healthy.

As far as other comments about the resort, I'll summarize in bulletized form.

Location was great. The grounds are beautiful and secluded. It was a very cheap trike ride into the heart of town. Its about a 5 minute walk down the hill to the beach, but its very easy and I'm not sure why anyone might complain about this. Its nice to be elevated above the fray and noise.

The resort itself is beautiful. The team was in clean-up mode after the typhoon, but that just meant they were planting new foliage and trimming here and there. It is a very pleasant jungle-like environment. My wife also commented that they must do a great job spraying for mosquitoes, because she is usually eaten alive, but had very few bites while we were at the resort.

The villas are all very unique and beautiful. We stayed in the pool villa for the first two days and a garden villa for the last two days. If you can afford to spring for the pool villa, do it! It is by far the most beautiful place we've ever stayed. You have your own pool and outdoor bathroom looking out over boat station 3...what more could you ask for?! This is not to say that the garden villas are not nice, because they are actually quite nice by themselves. You still have a great outdoor showers and big bathtub and deck. I could have been happy staying there for all 4 days as well.

My wife did the spa thing to the extreme. Scrubs, baths, massages, etc. and was extremely happy with the whole experience. The therapists are very talented and professional. I took part in a massage and the yoga classes, which aren't necessarily my cup of tea, but I also found them to be fantastic.

All in all, I would say Mandala has a great team and a unique aesthetic. We very much enjoyed our stay there and I would suggest it to any of my friends and family looking for a quiet, relaxing, healthy vacation destination.

Room Tip: Do the pool villa is you can spring for it!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben M
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We spent 7 days at the Mandala Villas in May and enjoyed the quiet comfort of the free standing villas there. Mandala is off the Main Road in Boracay and a good 10-12 minute walk from the lower end of White Beach. It is situated in a tropical garden setting and contains, in addition to an award winning day spa, about a dozen or so free standing villas. As, such, the only sound one is likely to hear here is the sound of a roaster at day break. We found this to be a perfect oasis away from the chaos of Boracay Main Road and the crowded madness of White Beach.

The villas are both spacious and comfortable, with very nice baths and outdoor showers. There isn't a restaurant but the resort serves very nice but limited breakfasts, made to order at an open air pavilion. We had particular high praise for the three person staff at the latter. They always treated us as honored house quests.

Would go back here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 7 nights, the room is so relaxing and beautiful, like nothing we had ever stayed before, and the hotel staff are soooo friendly. The only thing that is missing is a tv set, but maybe you don't need that, you might be more relaxed and enjoy your vacation more without a tv. The complimentary yoga every morning is a plus. The hotel location is also great, not far from the beach, so you are not far from all the actions, but after all the excitement and actions you can come back to a quiet and peaceful place to rest. I really enjoyed sitting in that big comfortable lounge chair on the deck in the early mornings to read my book. We used the "Hundred Steps" quite a lot to go down to the beach, it's a little bit challenging physically, but we got to used to it. At the bottom of the steps, there is this guy named Michael who is selling activities, you need to be careful with him, don't take his offer unless you checked with other guys further down the beach, also make sure you both agreed on the total price before you start the activity, he would tell you a trip only cost 500 peso, it's a 2 hours trip, then after the trip he tells you 500peso is only for 1 hour, now you owe him 1000peso.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alice S
Bucks County, PA
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Was staying at the Shangri-La during a recent Boracay vacation, but had heard great things about the Mandala Spa, so my husband treated the two of us to a half day of spa treatments for my birthday. It is definitely distant from the bustle of Boracay in Station 1 and 2, be prepared for a trike ride over there if you are not staying on-property. The tree-lined arrival lane is lush and soothing.

When we got there, we checked in at the desk. It seemed like there had been a miscommunication about which package my husband requested so there was a little bit of a wait while they setup the room and we filled out paperwork. One of the thing they ask you for as a part of the paperwork is your birthday. Since the spa treatment was done ON my birthday itself, it was definitely disappointing that they didn't acknowledge it in any way. I was reading another review where a guest's birthday was overlooked, so it seems that may be that I'm not alone. Still, why ask for information like that if you don't care?

You are given a sarong wrap (given to you complimentary after the treatment) and change in what is a pretty basic locker room and then wait in an open hut. I was quickly whisked away with my husband down the path to our spa villa. The landscaping is really pretty and it was very dreamlike following as our two therapists walked side by side in their tropically elegant uniforms.

I had the Boracay Bliss package and my husband had the Kalinga Day package with Hilot Trilogy. The first part of both is a foot bath outside on the porch. Several reviews warn of the mosquitos here and that was definitely a huge problem for me. During the first five minutes I literally had about ten bug bites on my legs, arms, and shoulders. I am also quite sensitive to these bites and my skin began to swell up. The therapist sprayed some citronella on me, but it didn't deter them. Being eaten alive didn't put me in a relaxed mood, especially since I had only a flimsy sarong on for protection!

Next, I had a body scrub, which was much needed since by then my legs and arms were really itchy from the mosquito bites. Although there was some mosquito netting around the villa, it really isn't rigged effectively. During my body scrub a particularly nasty insect bit the back of my leg really sharply and painfully while my leg was exposed.

I then showered the scrub away in the villa's bathroom and took a very relaxing (and mosquito free) floral bath. The massage came next and that was done well. I especially liked how strong the masseuse's strength. Last was a facial which would have been relaxing, had there not been a very noisy mosquito flying around both me and my husband.

At the end, we shared a nice cup of ginger tea back on the porch. This time, I noticed they had started burning one of those mosquito repellent coils. I am not sure, but I don't think it had been burning when I got there initially. I guess after my rocky start they wanted to try and keep the bugs away!

We finished up and it is kind of awkward because after you put your sarong back on the therapists just wait and watch you in the villa until you leave.

After receiving our sarongs in a nice bag, we paid and signed up for the trees we wanted planted for our TREEtment projects where they plant a tree for every treatment booked. We signed up to get updates, e-mails, and a facebook status on our tree, but it's been a week later and we haven't heard anything. Given the lack of acknowledgement on my birthday, I have to wonder whether they read these forms you complete at all. However, they were nice enough to give us their wifi password so that we could connect with our friends about our evening plans. Afterwards, they offered to hail a trike for us, but we weren't sure what we wanted to do yet, so we declined. I regret that. We walked to the bottom of their driveway before getting (again) attacked by hungry mosquitos. I had thought with the large volume of trikes going by that we could easily get one, but it was not the case and was quite stressful. Since there is no one by the entrance, there were no staff members to help.

All in all, it was a good experience that is a true value compared to the spa prices in the US, but pricy for Boracay. However, the lack of mosquito control really put a damper on the experience and days later I still have the scars and itchiness to prove it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple