“The place is a real heaven”

Mandala Spa & Resort Villas
Ranked #21 of 148 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Mandala for 4 nights over Christmas 2011. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The place is a real heaven from the noise of Borocay’s white beach and it is extremely well run. Led by the charming and helpful general manager Jov Schrottmann, the staff of Mandala were very professional and the service were slick. The spa treatments (and spa area) were of a very high standard. The rooms were very nice and spacious (although more about calm and tranquillity then brightness and vistas, which they do lack). The very few negatives (not even really worth mentioning) were attributable to the fact that this place does overall more about rustic charm rather than ultra modern perfection, which we would say is a good thing.
Overall, good value and we would recommend.

1  Thank Brazinglish

Reviewed January 12, 2012

My stay in Mandala Spa and Villas was most relaxing and rejuvenating! I had my quiet time with nature and an exquisite villa to relax my tired body from all the work during the busy season!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Felipe Gene D
Reviewed December 30, 2011

My wife and I included a couple of nights here on our honeymoon, and it was our favourite stay in the Philippines. The villas are luxurious, private and create a real sense of sanctuary.

The staff are great - very helpful and happy. Always felt we were in good hands.

The spa here is fantastic, but then, that's what they do and you can tell. Every massage from anywhere else just didn't compare.

It was only a two day stay and we were sorry not to have booked longer.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank DGillham_Oz
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We stayed in Mandala 5 nights in mid December 2011. The first impression and the whole philosophy is very nice but there are some secrets to be discovered. Stayed in villa #5.

The Good:
- Location - some may not like it but the location is wonderful. Ca. 10 mins. walk to the beach where you can find anything, located on top far from the noise. But still you can hear bits :)
- Setting and atmosphere - is very calm, relaxing, wonderful garden.
- Room - the living room is very nice and big. Big bed (but not very comfy), setting and appearance, big TV with good choice of channels.
- Massages / Spa - perfect therapists, perfect place, perfect music. Really experience, fantastic!
- Transfer to Caticlan - we were leaving around 5:15 a.m. to catch our flight. The service was perfectly arranged, had our own car + boat, everything on time.

The Bad:
- Bathroom - setting very nice but there it ends. Not much pressure, and the water was staying in the sink / shower and took forever to go where it belongs. Ugly containers for soap / shampoo, very old looking shower as well as bathtub. The shower cover was just awful. See pictures for details.
- Overall conditions - the bathroom and other areas needs serious maintenance! The hotel would be a gem but this is No. 1 drawback by far.
- No restaurant - during our stay, the restaurant was undergoing reconstruction. We were offered a service instead - Japanese, Indian and Greek restaurants would bring it to you room. Maybe nice but that does not compare to sit in a nice restaurant getting some real food (not a fan of either Jap or ind food) in a beautiful garden. By the way, during our 6 day stay nobody worked on fixing the restaurant. I do not recall either to be warned in advance.
- Breakfast - probably due to the rest. closed, it was held in a "tent". Not too bad for us but not too much space if hotel was a bit more full. However, the biggest drawback was the fact that they missed items on menu - 3 days they had no "Spa breakfast" which included muesli, yogurt, milk etc. which is exactly what we like to eat. They claimed they were drying the fruits. Also, they did not have 2 more breakfasts which my girlfriend wanted to order. Taking that into consideration, we could have or pancakes or toast with jam, nothing that we really enjoy for breakfast plus the hotel is very nature+health oriented...so why don`t you guys have the most healthy food which can be stored for months? As well, the only fruit we were given was mango, the first day also banana, not so the following days.
- Cleanlines - first sight good but the corners did not see vaccuum cleaner for some time. The blankets, sheets should also check what WHITE color means :)
- Service - 3 times we ordered tea to our room. 2 times it was not delivered, although reminding reception 1 time...and of course twice promised to be delivered. To be fair - once the tea was brought without any reminder.
- Wi-Fi speed - simply terrible, like 15 yrs. ago. I know this is not major issue on a vacation but even in Bohol plus other places of Boracay (restaurants, other hotels...) there was much faster connection speeds. The download rate was as low as 5 kB/s.
- The bed - both me and my girflriend were waking up sore, with aches. Maybe it was just the two of us but this never happened to us before, just to mention this was something really unusual.

The hotel would be really excellent, especially if the maintenance took place - both of the villa and service. It has a great potential also thanks to its philosophy, nature approach and similar but it is ruined with so many details that bother!
The above issues cannot make our stay bad but it does not help either. We payed +/- 200 USD per night which is a pretty good rate for the hotel but I must say I was not even 10% happy to pay comparing it to 300 USD experience in Bohol. That much of a difference!
I am unhappy to write such review as I like Mandala`s things around but I consider this fair.

1  Thank Flipmode
Mandalas, Manager at Mandala Spa & Resort Villas, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Dear Flipmode,

Thank you for your candid review.

I naturally love your list of good points - the daily massages or floral bath, the eat all you can mangoes, free movie collection, daily yoga, and our VIP return transfer service, all of which is included in our villa rates. I also agree with your other observations. You raised the bar right up there and that is where Mandala Spa and Villas belongs. Your thorough review helped me to see weak spots and improve the Mandala experience. Please allow me to be more specific about your concerns:

Bathroom and cleanliness: Our maintenance team has recently undergone a performance appraisal. Just like you, we are also appalled by the performance of our housekeeping/maintenance team. What you observed is completely unacceptable and there is absolutely no excuse for this mishap. Rest assured that all the maintenance and housekeeping activities are monitored closely on a daily basis by a well-trained, experienced Housekeeping Head.
Breakfast and service: I can understand your frustration with the breakfast selection at the Garden Tent. Consequently, we recently hired a talented and charming Swiss woman to manage the Garden Tent. She has an extensive food and beverage experience and she will make sure that our guests will be delighted by their first meal of the day and that breakfast and room service will be served on time.
Beds: We have double and triple mattresses. Please tell me your preferences next time.
Restaurant construction: We are building a new restaurant on a different part of the property.

That said, I would like to offer you a complementary room night in Villa 5 upon your next return to see for yourself.

I remember meeting you personally and I sincerely look forward welcoming you as my valued guest again.

Sincerely, Jove Schrottmann
Resident Manager

Reviewed December 19, 2011

I was @ Mandala - Boracay on Mid-week December 2011, and without exaggeration, it was one of our best holiday and lot of it is due to Mandala villa's + Spa + Staff.. (Thanks to Liza and the two beautiful ladies @ the front desk and also to the in room Breakfast serving guy)

Property: If you are tired of staying in the concrete buildings/hotels than this is the best property. Nature at its best and closest to you.

Rooms: Great room, we managed to stay at both rooms, The pool villa (As we were upgraded for 1 night) and also the Garden Villa.
Pool Villa: Is the best, amazing view of the Sea and also the outdoor pool and bathroom. it was too beautiful. Straight from the shower area you can view the sea and also from the pool. they also have a good sitting area outside. Room has a in room kitchen, so you can cook, which was great for us as we are vegetarians. (unfortunately their Prana restaurant was under renovation). They bed over looks the garden and portions of the sea. Good sitting area in the room also. Over all, we wished they would have upgraded us for all 4 nights. But i guess there is always a next time. The best part of this room is that it is completely secluded and very private. From the main villa door to your room door is also a walk through the small garden. Very peaceful and close to nature, yet has the modern amenities in the room. Awesome design. But i was shocked to know that there is only 1 pool villa on the property...!!

Garden Villa: After the pool villa i thought this would be a total degrading stay for the next 3 nights. but to my surprise, the room was renovated and very beautiful. The bed was huge and had a small sitting area over looking the garden. (which is a show garden, as you cannot access it) All the garden villa rooms are in one line, but still very private and quite. the tub was awesome and has a outdoor shower, which was nice and clean. The awesome touch of detail is that each room has a iPod with peaceful spa/instrumental music. Great..!! I guess they missed it in Pool Villa.

Food: I wished the Prana restaurant would be open, as i had heard lot of great reviews. But to our surprise, we got an amazing breakfast @ seafood loving destination. Great Mango Pancakes and the Spa Breakfast menu and also the special veggie sandwich they prepared for us. Awesome.

Spa: I am not a very massage kind of a person. my wife took it everyday and could not stop raving it. so much so that last day she managed to convince me to take one. It was very beautiful setup. Open spa villa's, where you can hear the sound of the water from the sea and also the peaceful chirping of the birds. i was surprised with myself that i felt asleep. Their after drink was also tasty and the best part is that they give you this sarong type cloth which you have to change into and than walk through the garden to reach your spa villa.. Awesome. Very different from other spas's i have visited. Also don't forget to choose a plant and name your plant for each massage you take and each night you stay. Awesome.!!!

Over all + points: Awesome place, great design of the villa. Hotel is 5 mins walk to the beach. and station 2, the main life on beach is around 10 mins walking from the beach. we used to walk every day from hotel to the station 2 area through the beach front. peaceful walk. if someone tells you its far, i guess 10 mins walk from the beach front is not far. also on the way there are restaurants and people, and amazing white beach. But at night i suggest to return from station 2 area in the public bike carriage. as it gets little lonely after the station 3 and this hotel is little ahead of that also.
The staff was awesome. always smiling and happy to see you and very accommodating to all your requests.. So Great..!!

Over all - points: The pool villa had a few bugs, but as i heard that they are going to renovate it, than it should be solved. i mean i like the nature but bugs getting in the room is not healthy. but Garden villa since they have already renovated it, had no bugs or flies in the room. Good job done, i guess you should do the same closing the inside room the same way in Pool villa.
well during our trip, i wished the Prana restaurant was open, as since its the only restaurant there was no room service after the included breakfast. which is sad for any hotel facility.
I wish they had a pool. they have such big land body, they should consider a pool, hopefully over looking the White beach, as i know for sure that they have the area, as its a huge property..! So no peaceful swim in the hotel. you need to book the pool villa or go straight to the beach.

I suggest to all couples to stay here..!! unless you are in a big group and want to stay right in the middle of station 2 action. it is a very peaceful and a total relaxing center..!! a great way to get away from the hectic work life and find some peace..!!

Good luck to all, Hope this will help you to decide your stay at Boracay..!!
God Bless..!!!

Room Tip: I stayed at Villa No.5, which was peaceful, rest all villas are located next to each other..!!