“The place to stay in Boracay”

Dave's Straw Hat Inn
Ranked #11 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Madrid, Spain
“The place to stay in Boracay”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Dave's is definitely the place to stay in Boracay. Location is perfect: walking distance from everywhere but away enough from the noise of the beach road. Rooms were very nice and clean, restaurant great (loved your pancakes!!) and the staff could not do more to help you with every question you came up to. THANKS!!!

If I come back to Boracay, I will definitely stay in your hotel again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 29, 2009

This was my second time staying at the lovely and extremely friendly "Dave's straw hat inn". (First time 2007) A perfect easy going hideaway at Boracay island for a QUIET and relaxing stay. The best with this place is the personell that is extremly friendly and service minded. You feel very welcomed!
Its located a hundred meters away from the beach, but it only takes 2 minutes to walk there. Room pricing was still like last time - good to be Boracay! The rooms were very clean, but maybe not so cosy decorated and designed. The inhouse kitchen offer good tasing meals and snack, even though it is a little bit pricy. For me the best thing about this place was the personell, and the worst thing was the free-of-charge WiFi internet... that worked poorly. (Same problems as in 2007) ... I really do recommend this place!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We just spent a long weekend at Daves we had a nightmare journey to get there with two cancelled flights and it rained the whole weekend. Not the greatest of introductions to Boracay but I would go back tomorrow and stay at Daves Straw Hat because its peacefull, tranquil, secluded but so close to the beach and ammeanities. the staff were wonderfull welcoming and friendly and well made up for the weather and journey.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kalb0
Stafford
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I booked through trip advisor. At first it told me no rooms available but when I contacted direct, there were. The communications were excellent. I also booked the airport transfer with Southwest through DSH. Despite the fact that the plane was diverted to Kalibo it was seamless. The Southwest boys are excellent.

The room was spotless with quiet Aircon... how rare that is in PI! The shower was hot and cold.... another rarity! The bed was comfortable.

I chose the rainy season... and it did! Despite this I had a great time. They had a big library of books, good wireless connection and DVD players and DVDs to hire.

The food is good quality and good value. Though if I was asked to give one improvement I would like to see a bigger menu in the rainy season. Check the Mango tea... I took a ton home with me after trying it here.

The situation is around 100 mtres up a chaming alley just away from the noise and hustle and bustle of the main front. It is an oasis of greenery lit by charming small lights... it really is enchanting.

As to the staff..... they are wonderful. They smile, chat, smile and smile again... nothing is too much trouble. They have excellent contacts locally and you get preferential diving prices, free table and chairs on the front at Arwana hotel etc etc. They really do make the place an absolute pleasure to visit.

I would thoroughly commend DSH to anyone wanting a lovely good value place to stay close to but not in the thick of a great beach resort.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kelvin273
Mt. Laurel, NJ USA
Reviewed June 27, 2009

In October 2008, my friend and I had the pleasure of being a guest at Dave's Straw Hat Inn for 8 nights. This was our first of hopefully many visits to Boracay and Dave's. I can think of no better place to stay for the laid back kind of experience that we were looking for. Making the arrangements was extremely easy. I strongly recommend taking advantage of having Dave's make the arrangements to get from Caticlan to Boracay and back. It takes away any possible stress of making your way to the island and it went extremely smooth!. The entire stay was very relaxing..the setting of the Inn is absolutely beautiful, very lush plantings, very well maintained--our room was extremely comfortable, very quiet, and because of the way the various buildings are laid out, felt very private!. The staff were very friendly and very accommodating--very gracious hosts. The location of the Inn is great..be sure to take advantage of the arrangement Dave's has with another resort just down the beach to use it's beach furniture! We look forward to our next trip to Boracay and to Dave's

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank NJTraveler856
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Ok, before I write the review of Dave's Straw Hat Inn, I need to disclose that during my stay in Boracay, I ended up with a pretty significant reaction to MSG that required a trip to a clinic for a shot to stop the reaction (hives, difficulty breathing). Apparently, MSG is used throughout Asia (in retrospect, my reaction started in Hong Kong, but got worse in Boracay).

So, while I hope that my experience with MSG doesn't color my review too much, I'm only human.

Overall I gave Dave's Straw Hat Inn an "average" review -- "average" in the context of Boracay.

Pros
Very cute, quaint set of rooms.
Very good service.
Very friendly employees.
Good food (MSG aside).
Out of the way location *
Very reasonably priced.

Cons
Out of the way location *(depends on what you're looking for).
Small rooms.
Not particularly luxurious rooms, but average by Boracay standards.

Overall
The "resorts" on Boracay are fairly minimalist. I would hesitate to call any of the resorts we saw actual resorts. The only location on the island that I heard that actually sounded like a real resort was the Shangri-La . . . which is tucked into it's own corner of the island.
With that in mind, Dave's Straw Hat Inn is average (in amenities) compared to other Boracay resorts. The people and service at Dave's were really top-notch, however. They were quite nice and very friendly, and you can't really beat their pricing.

Generally, when I'm traveling, I like to have either "relaxation vacations" or "exploration vacations" -- the difference being that I like convenience and amenities when on a "relaxation vacation", and am willing to forgo such when on an "exploration vacation". Boracay was intended as a "relaxation vacation" but felt more like an "exploration vacation". This has more to do with my personal expectations (and some bad luck) than anything that the folks at Dave's did poorly.

In all likelihood, if we returned to Boracay (and frankly, I'm not sure we would), I'd like to try out the Shangri-La.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dhodory
Makati
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We stayed at Dave's Straw Hat Inn because of the excellent reviews we read here in trip advisor. And man, they never disappoint! The staffs are sincerely friendly, the best we've encountered so far! We got a standard cottage and we don't expect much since the price is really affordable. But i have to say, the room is cute, clean & it has a fridge, vault & a balcony. The T&B is clean as well. We were allowed to check-in early without additional costs since it's off-peak season already. It is such a pleasure to be greeted by warm smiles and cold drinks when you arrive at the resort. I also appreciate the fact that it is away from the noise of stations 1 and 2 but you can just walk your way there if you want to check out the action. We will surely return to this small but peaceful resort soon...Thanks Dave Straw Hat Inn!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple