“Small quiet place with great staff”

Dave's Straw Hat Inn
Ranked #11 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
“Small quiet place with great staff”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I was a walk-in traveler with no prior bookings. I stayed here for 5 nights on May 2014

I was attracted to the place because of the atmosphere. the place has character. I entered the premises and the service I got was immediately quite warm and friendly. And then I found out that the rates were very reasonable.

I have to say that the staff were amazing. They were kind, friendly, very understanding and accommodating, and were quite knowledgeable. It was nice conversing and joking with them. I really appreciated the Inn. When a cheaper room came up in another resort nearby on the beachfront, I decided against leaving the Inn because I liked where I was already.

The place around the area needs some lighting, but it is safe and there aren't any dogs or wild animals loitering the area. At times when I get back there at 3:30am, there would be somebody who would be at the receiving area, so I never felt unsafe or neglected. The place is cozy and one can just enjoy the many books in the receiving area of the Inn while waiting for companions or just waiting for the hot noonday sun to dip low. There are board games and some other things I never got to play with too.

The place is far from the action of Station 2 (where the popular bars and party places are). It takes me more than 30mins to walk to D'Mall or, alternatively, less than 10mins by trike. That is one of the considerations for my rating. However, if you don't mind that, then it's fine. The Inn itself is a one-minute walk from the beachfront (it isn't located on the beachfront; you have to take an alleyway to reach the beach). It is near the more undeveloped part of Boracay with a few quaint little places with a lot of character (I'll be exploring those places next time I'm there). The beach fronting the alley entrance is well taken care off and the sand is just as powdery as in others (as much less pebbly than in other beachfronts as well).

I stayed in the single occupancy fan room. There was no window at all, although one could keep the door open since there is an outer screen door to keep insects from coming in. Average lighting. Relatively clean toilet - all within expectation for the price. Clean towels and beddings each day. Was satisfied with the bed as well, but I'm not so selective about that. Internet was so much better than I expected and were comparably better than more expensive hotels in the area. In fact, the WIFI was so much better than a couple of 5-star resorts in Station 1 where my friends were staying.

I would come back here again when given the opportunity especially if I want to explore the rest of Station 3.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank PM D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights with my girlfriend in May 2014 and can highly recommend it.

Dave's was very cosy and secure with a beach cottage feel and friendly staff to look after us. This was exactly what we were looking for in Boracay, with an eye on the independent and cash savvy traveller.
We liked the location, despite seeming to be a little out of the way in station 3, it was great to escape the crowds over in stations 1 and 2. I also have to say that station 3 still manages to capture a little spirit of the old Boracay and there are no shortage of good restaurants and massages available around the area.

1 Thank Jabsy123
Bayugan, Philippines
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Treating guests like a family is the perfect experience we had at Dave's straw hat inn.
My husband and I had a great time exploring Boracay. It feels like home when you go back to the hat from a very long tiring walk and then you see the staff welcoming you with great smiles again and again. Everyday their rooms are perfect, you leave it messy and when you go back it's clean again, linens are new and comfort room smells fresh. It feels like you are living in a 5 star hotel.
Staffs are honest, we always leave our phones and wallets and other important things but it will always stay in the place where you left it.
I will surely recommend Dave's Straw to my relatives, friends and family, and when We come back to boracay we will surely come back to Dave's straw hat.
THANK YOU SO MUCH DAVE'S STRAW HAT STAFFS.
'til we meet again.

1 Thank Ep-epCUBILLAS
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed May 16, 2014

At first I could not understand how a simple, backpacker-style guesthouse could receive such good reviews, but after staying at Dave's Straw Hat I could see why.
Like everyone else says, the staff there are really nice and professional and gave us personal treatment. We even got a discount on accommodation and were upgraded to a deluxe room for free!!
Our deluxe, A/C room was just great - everything just worked well, including plumbing and water pressure. The fridge is a real treat as well.
On the minus side, Wifi connection was so-and-so (as in all the Philippines... ) and location was a little weird as well - hidden away in an alley and hard to find, although only 3 mins from the beach.
All in all, amazing value for money and very recommended stay in Boracay.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Definitely the best place to stay in Boracay. The staff is amazing, they will make sure to make the absolute best of you stay with them. The rooms are very clean and nice especially for what you pay for it. The location is very convenient, you are at the beach in just a couple of minutes. It was just great! Thank you so much!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

The staff at Dave's Straw Hat Inn are fantastic! My flight was delayed so I got on later then expecting, as I was unpacking one of the girls knocked on the door with iced tea and a sandwich because I looked tired and hungry... so thoughtful! I stayed in the bamboo fan hut, it's basic you get what you pay for with that one, for me it was perfect.
I was travelling alone for the first time so wasn't sure what my trip would be like. The girls who work there where great at suggesting and organising things to do. They are so friendly and seemed to take good care of everyone. I felt totally at ease.
The people who work there really made it for me, if I'm ever back in Boracay I'd stay again :D

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Thank you very much for having us.

Appreciated your services and hospitality during our stay. All of you was so kind. No wonder they out there referring your place to stay at Boracay. Thanks to Janet, Jane, Gene, all your staffs and the boy during our arrival on 1 AM in the morning who served us the toasted bread and hot water. We are so hungry that time. We will definitely choose your resort to stay if we are going back to Boracay again. Don't forget to send our regard to our neighbor from Netherland.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends